ADVERTISEMENT

NIL Thoughts

psulongago

Aug 29, 2001
With all the PSU grad CEO's in the business world, can corporate shares be offered, redeemable upon expiration of eligibility without transfer.

With all the PSU grad CEO's in the business world, can corporate shares be offered, redeemable upon expiration of eligibility without transfer.
They want cars, jewelry and cash. They don't care about the future. And they're never going to agree to something that limits their ability to move on. We can all hate NIL while accepting the reality of the situation. The players have the power they've always wanted.

They want cars, jewelry and cash. They don't care about the future. And they're never going to agree to something that limits their ability to move on. We can all hate NIL while accepting the reality of the situation. The players have the power they've always wanted.
The power only exists if enough people give it to them with their eyeballs. Time will tell how that goes.

The power only exists if enough people give it to them with their eyeballs. Time will tell how that goes.
Seriously, you mean to tell me there are real, alive people who give money to college kids to play football? And they’re not relatives or anything? There are really people who do that? Crazy!

Reactions: bdroc and psu1969a
These kids want cold, hard cash in their hands to burn through as fast as possible. It’s all about the Benjamin’s.
Yep, got to get the next iPhone, a pair of Jordans and a tattoo

Ratings indicate there's absolutely no concern
Yes, you've said that many times. I believe the changes are happening so fast that fan perception hasn't fully caught up. Time will tell if people embrace professional, free agent college players on the grand scale or whether the whole apparatus contracts to a smaller elite scenario of obsessed boosters with too much money, or whether it collapses completely. Time will tell. I have no idea what will happen, but if 2nd tier professionals retain interest, it will be the first time ever in the US.

Reactions: MacNit2.0 and bdroc
Yes, you've said that many times. I believe the changes are happening so fast that fan perception hasn't fully caught up. Time will tell if people embrace professional, free agent college players on the grand scale or whether the whole apparatus contracts to a smaller elite scenario of obsessed boosters with too much money, or whether it collapses completely. Time will tell. I have no idea what will happen, but if 2nd tier professionals retain interest, it will be the first time ever in the US.
Yeah that’s not going to happen. There is a sea change coming and it will not be good for the popularity of college sports.

Reactions: MacNit2.0
As long as it's tied to Universities/Colleges it's not a minor league as much as you want to believe that.
People root for the programs not the individuals.
It's the same reason why programs that have never been good still have fan bases. Graduates will follow their schools--people that grew up following Penn State (or anyone else) will continue.
An expanded playoff is going to be huge for the game. NIL isn't important in terms of fan interest. The angst is tiresome honestly.

As long as it's tied to Universities/Colleges it's not a minor league as much as you want to believe that.
It's the same reason why programs that have never been good still have fan bases. Graduates will follow their schools--people that grew up following Penn State (or anyone else) will continue.
An expanded playoff is going to be huge for the game. NIL isn't important in terms of fan interest. The angst is tiresome honestly.
You couldn’t be more wrong. I was a season ticket holder since I was a freshman. I haven’t paid a dime to Penn State for anything in years. I’m certainly not alone and it will definitely get worse. And you’re a fake fan.

The popularity of the game will hinge on how competitive or not NIL makes everything. If it turns into only a handful of schools getting all the top players and everyone else has 3 stars or lower than interest will wane. I know it is kind of like that now but think much more exaggerated. For example, take Penn State who has no shot versus the big spending NIL schools because of a huge talent disparity.

Think 5 schools or thereabouts are the "varsity" and everyone else is "JV". So if we start losing to Ohio State and say Oregon every year by 35 points because we simply do not have any of the Jimmy or Joes necessary to compete at the highest level. Then cascade that phenomenon across the country, it will have a ratings impact.

Reactions: MacNit2.0
You couldn’t be more wrong. I was a season ticket holder since I was a freshman. I haven’t paid a dime to Penn State for anything in years. I’m certainly not alone and it will definitely get worse. And you’re a fake fan.
The fake fan is the one that still supports the program. Interesting

The popularity of the game will hinge on how competitive or not NIL makes everything. If it turns into only a handful of schools getting all the top players and everyone else has 3 stars or lower than interest will wane. I know it is kind of like that now but think much more exaggerated. For example, take Penn State who has no shot versus the big spending NIL schools because of a huge talent disparity.

Think 5 schools or thereabouts are the "varsity" and everyone else is "JV". So if we start losing to Ohio State and say Oregon every year by 35 points because we simply do not have any of the Jimmy or Joes necessary to compete at the highest level. Then cascade that phenomenon across the country, it will have a ratings impact.
Is that any different than now? A couple schools have dominated. We're actually seeing schools like Mizzou possibly become more competitive because of NIL.

Yeah that’s not going to happen. There is a sea change coming and it will not be good for the popularity of college sports.
I agree that NIL and portal have a negative impact on the popularity of college sports but the 12 team playoff will make college football even more popular in the short term.

I moved on. That’s why your trolling about Allar is going to transfer and Paterno sucks doesn’t work on me. Yeah, you support the program. “Everyone knows” your game is nonsense.
When did I say Allar was going to transfer? I said if he wasn't told he was going to start he would have which is common sense. Paterno does suck...you just overvalue him because he was our coach. He's not close to Saban. Winning matters.

I agree that NIL and portal have a negative impact on the popularity of college sports but the 12 team playoff will make college football even more popular in the short term.
Then it will expand further creating more and more interest. Most of us are older. They're not targeting us.

When did I say Allar was going to transfer? I said if he wasn't told he was going to start he would have which is common sense. Paterno does suck...you just overvalue him because he was our coach. He's not close to Saban. Winning matters.
Fake! Fake! Fake! You’re the Jussie Smollett of Penn State fandom.

Paterno does suck...you just overvalue him because he was our coach. He's not close to Saban. Winning matters.
C’mon. That’s going way too far. Joe only won two National Championships. He was robbed in 69, maybe 73 and surely 94. To say he sucks(ed) discredits you greatly. That is simply untrue.

Joe was a great man and a great coach. Winning matters, but it isn’t everything. Integrity matters. Loyalty matters. Academics matters. You owe an apology to JoePa

At some point someone that isn't interested in college athletics is going to legally challenge the fact that public universities are running what is essentially professional sports. I know squat about the law but there must be some restrictions on what public universities can do with public tax money.

Reactions: Kasparaitis
C’mon. That’s going way too far. Joe only won two National Championships. He was robbed in 69, maybe 73 and surely 94. To say he sucks(ed) discredits you greatly. That is simply untrue.

Joe was a great man and a great coach. Winning matters, but it isn’t everything. Integrity matters. Loyalty matters. Academics matters. You owe an apology to JoePa
Forget-about-it. Lando is a transparent poser. He makes outrageous statements to try to get over on real Penn State fans. His act is old. Paterno sucks. Har-de-har-har.

Throw Lando a bone and put integrity, loyalty, and academics aside for the moment.

Most wins
Most bowl wins
Better bowl win % than Saban
75% win percentage
5 undefeated untied seasons
SI Sportsman of the year
College Football Hall of Fame
Brought PSU into national prominence

Lando says he sucked?

Throw Lando a bone and put integrity, loyalty, and academics aside for the moment.

Most wins
Most bowl wins
75% win percentage
SI Sportsman of the year

Lando says he sucked?
Lando sucks

How is giving shares to high school kids driving value for existing shareholders?

No one’s asking for my opinion on this, but I’m against donating towards NIL funds on principle. I don’t like the idea of paying players to attend my school versus donating to the school, etc.

Reactions: bdroc
There are certainly some things that are tiresome. The certainty for instance. I believe you are mistaken, but I'm not so arrogant to proclaim it as a certainty. I'll probably always "follow" penn state, but am I going to be a rabid fan who makes it an appointment to watch games and travel to beaver stadium and playoff games? If fans become even modestly more passive, it will contract the revenue structure of CFB. Truth is, no one knows how this will play out in the long run.

Sorry--that was meant to say "Paterno doesn't suck" but he's not on Saban's level as a coach.
And, no, academics don't matter.

Most wins
Most bowl wins
75% win percentage
SI Sportsman of the year

Lando says he sucked?
Typo on my part. He's a HOF coach and top 10-15 all-time. Not the greatest of even in the discussion with someone like Saban though. If we're being honest
Remove the bowl nonsense for the post.

There are certainly some things that are tiresome. The certainty for instance. I believe you are mistaken, but I'm not so arrogant to proclaim it as a certainty. I'll probably always "follow" penn state, but am I going to be a rabid fan who makes it an appointment to watch games and travel to beaver stadium and playoff games? If fans become even modestly more passive, it will contract the revenue structure of CFB. Truth is, no one knows how this will play out in the long run.
But--no one cares if you travel to Beaver stadium or the playoff games. The money still comes in from the TV contracts as ratings will remain high. If you don't go to a playoff game others will. Locals will. The playoff does need to be changed to higher seed being at home until the title game but that will resolve itself when the Big Ten/SEC break away in about 5-8 years.

Of course no one knows for sure but in the absence of some transformative market disruption you can see where we’re headed. And let’s not kid ourselves, the people running America’s colleges will never be confused with Elon Musk. It is very doubtful they have the capability to lead an effective response to these threats.

How is giving shares to high school kids driving value for existing shareholders?
I think most donors are consumer oriented businesses that hope to get a return on their "investment" by having the players promote their products. I don't think the money is coming from places like PPG or US Steel.

I'm sure a fair amount comes from collective sponsored events like lunch with Franklin and autograph sessions with players. Fanatics are willing to pay for that stuff.

I assume it also comes from wealthy individuals who don't have anything better to do with their money. Over the years people like Phil Knight (Oregon), T. Boone Pickens (OK St), and John Tyson (AK) have given $millions to their universities. It's historically gone towards buildings which are a legacy. I don't know how many want it to go to pay players. But isn't NIL supposed to be in exchange for work? Can it just be a gift to players?

I think most donors are consumer oriented businesses that hope to get a return on their "investment" by having the players promote their products. I don't think the money is coming from places like PPG or US Steel.

I'm sure a fair amount comes from collective sponsored events like lunch with Franklin and autograph sessions with players. Fanatics are willing to pay for that stuff.

I assume it also comes from wealthy individuals who don't have anything better to do with their money. Over the years people like Phil Knight (Oregon), T. Boone Pickens (OK St), and John Tyson (AK) have given $millions to their universities. It's historically gone towards buildings which are a legacy. I don't know how many want it to go to pay players. But isn't NIL supposed to be in exchange for work? Can it just be a gift to players?
Historically, it's been against the rules for athletes to have no-work jobs, for obvious reasons.
With NIL, as far as I know, there is not any sort of reasonable market value test as a means to police it. What is the value of a Nick Singleton autograph? $5? $100? $10K?
So effectively, an individual or NIL collective could exchange any amount for an autograph, or a single appearance, etc.

The intent of Name, Image, Likeness, obviously, is to allow kids the freedom to engage in basic commerce - so selling autographs to fans, having their name/likeness used by EA sports, appearing at a car dealership, etc. This all sounds great in a vacuum and in a normal world, would be controlled by market forces. Generally speaking, people will only pay so much for an autograph, a car dealer will only pay a player to appear, as much as they think they can recoup in business. The issue, of course, is that CFB NIL is not subject to market economics. There have always been boosters and $100 handshakes, cars/jobs for parents, etc. The boosters were paying to theoretically improve outcomes on the football field. NIL has simply legalized and expanded the Bag Man phenomenon.
The NCAA's sole purpose is to regulate competition to keep it fair. IDK if this would stand up in court, but if there was any interest in regulating competition matters, the NCAA could look to ensure that NIL contracts pass a reasonable market value test. Obviously, a Heisman contender inking a national TV commercial with Dr Pepper could be worth $1M, but that same kid doing an autograph session at the Student Book Store could not.

Reactions: bdgan
Remove the bowl nonsense for the post

Disagree here. Bowls were a big part of the game and didn't become irrelevant until the playoff.

It's very tough to discuss Saban in fair context to Paterno, Bowden (how many titles do you think he wins if the playoff existed from '89-'02), etc when Saban did have the chance to win such games.

Bowl record for playoff era coaches, though, are largely irrelevant.

Disagree here. Bowls were a big part of the game and didn't become irrelevant until the playoff.

It's very tough to discuss Saban in fair context to Paterno, Bowden (how many titles do you think he wins if the playoff existed from '89-'02), etc when Saban did have the chance to win such games.

Bowl record for playoff era coaches, though, are largely irrelevant.
We can include major bowls that were actually part of determine a title but not stuff like the Alamo Bowl or Blockbuster Bowl.

We can include major bowls that were actually part of determine a title but not stuff like the Alamo Bowl or Blockbuster Bowl.

It's all or nothing. That's why it pre-playoff and post. Heck, one could probably even use the BCS era as a cutoff point as well because once they went to that format, it also made the other bowls irrelevant.

It's all or nothing. That's why it pre-playoff and post. Heck, one could probably even use the BCS era as a cutoff point as well because once they went to that format, it also made the other bowls irrelevant.
But was the Alamo Bowl ever truly relevant?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT