ADVERTISEMENT

NFL executive sees NFL Draft ‘red alert’ in C.J. Stroud’s cognitive test results

Best line …. “Name one Ohio State QB that did well in the NFL”. Been saying that for years.
Agreed...its indisputable. In theory it really shouldn't matter but the track record is extensive at this point.

It's going to be very interesting to see the order in which these QBs come off the board Thursday night

I believe Fields scored very high on cognition testing. His issues don't appear to be with processing abilities.

Stroud however, scored so low on cognition that he should be a no go in early rounds. Playing QB in the league requires it, along with a lot more. Some team will take him as a steal and will likely waste the pick and put their team back a few more years. Where do the Jets pick?

Even DT should be a hard sell for first round with that score. Recognition is important at all positions. The Forrest Gump/Dwayne Thomas days in the NFL are over. Run that way and I'll give you the ball days are long gone.

I believe Fields scored very high on cognition testing. His issues don't appear to be with processing abilities.

Stroud however, scored so low on cognition that he should be a no go in early rounds. Playing QB in the league requires it, along with a lot more. Some team will take him as a steal and will likely waste the pick and put their team back a few more years. Where do the Jets pick?

Even DT should be a hard sell for first round with that score. Recognition is important at all positions. The Forrest Gump/Dwayne Thomas days in the NFL are over. Run that way and I'll give you the ball days are long gone.
Jets pick 13 but they won't take him
if he does slide past Houston at 2, Indy at 4, Vegas at 7 and Atlanta at 8 (doubt it and still won't be shocked if he goes 1 though he shouldn't) then he's looking at Tennessee at 11, Houston at 12 if they don't take Levis and Richardson at 2, Washington at 16, Tampa at 19, Minnesota at 23 or someone moving up. Tons of teams need a QB and someone will gamble. I'd take Hooker before him but I'd take him before Richardson

Last edited:
I personally wouldn't draft any QB that plays in certain college offenses. The whiff rate is just too dang high. Even those that do perform well initially, have a very short shelf life as opposing defensive coordinators get more and more tape on a player. Looking at this year's draft, the kid from Stanford is the only QB I would consider in the first two rounds. Next up would be Bryce Young who demonstrated he could play in the simplified offense Bill O'Brien used at Bama but I wouldn't consider him until the 3rd because of how simple the offense was.

Best line …. “Name one Ohio State QB that did well in the NFL”. Been saying that for years.
Expectations were too high for Dwayne Haskins, who was drafted in middle of 1st round. Tragic ending.

Many of these QBs put up a ton of yards at tOSU; they have good schemes and high quality OL and WRs. Hasn't translated to the pros.

Agreed...its indisputable. In theory it really shouldn't matter but the track record is extensive at this point.

It's going to be very interesting to see the order in which these QBs come off the board Thursday night
Forgive my ignorance about the nuances of offensive schemes, so I pose this question: Is OSU's offense very basic with outstanding skill players @ WR & RB, so they just beat you with athletic plays an not sophistication and this allows them to pile up gaudy stats? I wonder if their QBs didn't have to go thru tough regressions in their offense? It seems they are saying Stroud might be another JaMarcus Russell.

Forgive my ignorance about the nuances of offensive schemes, so I pose this question: Is OSU's offense very basic with outstanding skill players @ WR & RB, so they just beat you with athletic plays an not sophistication and this allows them to pile up gaudy stats? I wonder if their QBs didn't have to go thru tough regressions in their offense? It seems they are saying Stroud might be another JaMarcus Russell.
I don't think their offense is intended to be that basic but when you have Harrison and Egbuka beating their guys immediately the majority of the time it makes life easy. Even against us we couldn't slow down Harrison and we had a great defense. The picks he threw against Michigan were bad decisions. I did think he played well against Georgia though which is why so many were talking about him as first overall but I think the film brought up some concerns along with the testing.

All that said, all of these QBs have major issues if we include height with Young

Jets pick 13 but they won't take him
if he does slide past Houston at 2, Indy at 4, Vegas at 7 and Atlanta at 8 (doubt it and still won't be shocked if he goes 1 though he shouldn't) then he's looking at Tennessee at 11, Houston at 12 if they don't take Levis and Richard's at 2, Washington at 16, Tampa at 19, Minnesota at 23 or someone moving up. Tons of teams need a QB and someone will gamble. I'd take Hooker before him but I'd take him before Richardson
Hoping jets take offensive lineman 13 pick

Hoping jets take offensive lineman 13 pick
If the Steelers stay at 17 I'm hoping the Jets don't lol
But, yeah, I'm guessing the Jets go with Wright, Johnson or Jones. I think Skoronski comes off the board first just because he's about as safe as a draft pick can be. I know everyone has Seattle going D but Skoronski is almost a perfect fit for them.

Was thinking the same, not aware of any Ohio State QB's who have excelled in the NFL. I don't think Fields is elite, what they call a franchise QB, probably average. Leads to the question why do they do so well in college? If the system, why don't more schools follow, I know they bring in top notch athletes, do they have lower academic requirements?

Whether it's disputable or not this a a hit piece. These go back a long way , similar to Marino's cocaine addiction. Every year there is an effort to have some desirables drop down on the big board. This reeks as one of those

Fields has that tiny bit of a windup trying to hit a window which closes real fast in the NFL. The OSU offense for the most part finds open receivers and not often requires threading a window

Whether it's disputable or not this a a hit piece. These go back a long way , similar to Marino's cocaine addiction. Every year there is an effort to have some desirables drop down on the big board. This reeks as one of those
So someone that had a later pick planted this hoping he drops enough that they can get him….

Reactions: bison13
So he didn't score low on his test???

Reactions: royboy
I am roughly Danny Boys age......grew up in Western PA.....there was a lot of smoke (no pun intended) with Danny boy at Pitt.......

Using the results of a test don't seem the same as believing someone has an addiction and spreading that.

Also, does hit pieces like this matter in this era? Do we think Carolina, Houston, Indianapolis, Oakland, Atlanta, Tennessee, Minnesota, Tampa, etc haven't done their own research?

Actually, the 2 programs that aren't designed for top notch NFL QBs are OSU and Oklahoma basically because of the type of offenses they've run over several decades (read-option) which did not highlight a passing QB. I guess you can even throw the powerful Nebraska teams into this mix.

Urban Meyer, Tressel and Oklahoma's Switzer and Wilkinson all ran deadly offenses based around a running QB as did several other coaches at both schools. And I consider that 1995 Nebraska team as the GOAT. And I believe those Oklahoma teams of the 1950s still holds the record for most consecutive wins ever.

And if you look at any legit list of the greatest CF programs of all-tme, both OK and OSU are usually in the top 3 or 4. My point: Throwing out successful NFL QBs is very over-rated when looking at top CF programs

Was thinking the same, not aware of any Ohio State QB's who have excelled in the NFL. I don't think Fields is elite, what they call a franchise QB, probably average. Leads to the question why do they do so well in college? If the system, why don't more schools follow, I know they bring in top notch athletes, do they have lower academic requirements?
Superior talent against weaker foes hides a lot. It’s the same as Miami of the 80s-90s (toss Jim Kelly aside). “Good college QBs who did crapola in the pros.

If i were an NFL GM, I’d take a long hard look at mid-major/FBS QBs who played with similar competition and excelled rather than a traditional college powerhouse QB who rarely faces equal talent. MY case in point is Big Ben

I think so as well but no QB other than Young falling would be shocking.

I think being overly critical is just in right now. Any of these QBs would have been sure-fire top 10 picks last year with a poor QB class. All we heard was "wait til next year".

Next year is here and it's crapfest on all of them. Just reality. Young wasn't getting taller. Stroud played without his top WR and multiple RBs out. Levis spent the year hurt. Richardson played mediocre and somehow is the next Cam Newton. It's wild.

Superior talent against weaker foes hides a lot. It’s the same as Miami of the 80s-90s (toss Jim Kelly aside). “Good college QBs who did crapola in the pros.

If i were an NFL GM, I’d take a long hard look at mid-major/FBS QBs who played with similar competition and excelled rather than a traditional college powerhouse QB who rarely faces equal talent. MY case in point is Big Ben
There are very few small school Big Bens over the years. There are many more traditional big school successful qbs like Aaron Rodgers, Peyton Manning, and Joe Montana over the years.

I think being overly critical is just in right now. Any of these QBs would have been sure-fire top 10 picks last year with a poor QB class. All we heard was "wait til next year".

Next year is here and it's crapfest on all of them. Just reality. Young wasn't getting taller. Stroud played without his top WR and multiple RBs out. Levis spent the year hurt. Richardson played mediocre and somehow is the next Cam Newton. It's wild.
Yeah, the Richardson hype is the one I have the most trouble buying. We all know there's basically no sure thing when it comes to QBs. All 4 and maybe even Hooker will be gone by 12 IMO

Yeah, the Richardson hype is the one I have the most trouble buying. We all know there's basically no sure thing when it comes to QBs. All 4 and maybe even Hooker will be gone by 12 IMO

Hooker getting a bump or what? Last I saw he was mocked at 46 or so.

Hooker getting a bump or what? Last I saw he was mocked at 46 or so.
There's talk that there's teams with a first round grade on him in Houston, Tennessee and Tampa. Lots of smoke this time of year so who knows for sure. Tennessee might make sense as they can play Tannehill this year and Willis should have never been drafted.

Reactions: lazydave841
I agree. Far from an OSU fan, but this reeks of disinformation.

Definitely a stacked QB field in the draft this year. I agree with you about the Richardson hype - just don't see it

Did those executives watch any tape of the Playoff game vs UGA or the game vs PSU, kid is a player.

Did those executives watch any tape of the Playoff game vs UGA or the game vs PSU, kid is a player.
But how often in those games did he have to go through progressions? I think that's the concern. Playing QB is easy when Harrison beats everyone off the LOS.

But how often in those games did he have to go through progressions? I think that's the concern. Playing QB is easy when Harrison beats everyone off the LOS.

On the most important late play, we played JPJ 9 yards off the LoS and let MHJr have a quick slant. I think that was a 3rd down but I didn't look it up. We should have been cover zero or had a better underneath plan (FTB covered this play, either Jacobs lined up too far inside to help or the DE didn't drop).

Wasteful to have a 1st rd Cornerback and not man up their #1 guy. Beat them or get beat.

On the most important late play, we played JPJ 9 yards off the LoS and let MHJr have a quick slant. I think that was a 3rd down but I didn't look it up. We should have been cover zero or had a better underneath plan (FTB covered this play, either Jacobs lined up too far inside to help or the DE didn't drop).

Wasteful to have a 1st rd Cornerback and not man up their #1 guy. Beat them or get beat.
Completely agree. Generally I have very few criticisms of Diaz last year but that play was one of them.

Reactions: lazydave841
They have five star talent all-around them. They have 3 tons of prime OL beef in front of them giving them 6-9 seconds to throw the ball consistently combined with elite WRs that can get open at will and it makes for big numbers. Then you get in the NFL where everyone is a trained killer and you about 3-4 seconds to get rid of the ball and they all fall apart! Once they start taking big NFL hits their arms get shorter and shorter. That is why Justin Fileds looks like a deer caught in the headlights in the NFL. You can tell from Stroud interviews that he is not their on an academic scholarship! Another Cardale, Fields, Haskins bust!

Having a great OL with all day to throw doesn't hurt also.

You guys are forgetting Joe Burrow who was developed by Ryan Day and who still gives Day and his coaches at OSU a lot of credit. Dwayne Haskins, who it turns out was not nearly as good as Burrow, came into the Michigan cold after Barrett was injured with OSU behind and played a flawless 1 & 1/4 quarter under enormous pressure and won the game. Unless Haskins became an alcoholic, no way Burrow could beat out Haskins the next year. Everyone at OSU knew Burrow was really good and hated to see him go. Just a bad situation where there were 2 really good players and only 1 could play.

You guys are forgetting Joe Burrow who was developed by Ryan Day and who still gives Day and his coaches at OSU a lot of credit. Dwayne Haskins, who it turns out was not nearly as good as Burrow, came into the Michigan cold after Barrett was injured with OSU behind and played a flawless 1 & 1/4 quarter under enormous pressure and won the game. Unless Haskins became an alcoholic, no way Burrow could beat out Haskins the next year. Everyone at OSU knew Burrow was really good and hated to see him go. Just a bad situation where there were 2 really good players and only 1 could play.
Ohio State gets zero credit for Burrow like Penn State gets zero credit for Levis. You're better than this nonsense.

Ohio State gets zero credit for Burrow like Penn State gets zero credit for Levis. You're better than this nonsense.
Levis performed in a mediocre way for PSU. When Joe Burrow played for OSU, he looked very good. Take a look at both spring games and Burrow playing against BGSU. If Burrow hadn't hurt his hand, he would have played ahead of Haskins. Here is Burrow at Heisman award's ceremony:

"After he gathered his emotions, Burrow went on to express his gratitude for his time at Ohio State on multiple occasions in his address to the crowd, making it clear that even in the most emotional moment of his life – a moment he said made him cry more than he had ever cried before – he hadn’t forgotten where he came from.

I’m just so thankful for LSU and Ohio State,” Burrow said. “Playing at two of the best programs in the country. Great coaches, both places. My journey, I wouldn’t have traded it for anything in the world.” https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio...i-and-ohio-state-after-winning-heisman-trophy

Has Levi had similar complimentary remarks about his time at PSU?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT