ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska transfer TE arrested on burglary.

Wow that is sad. But also record stupid. With the increased crime the last 3 years why would anyone believe that a liquor store would not have cameras everywhere.....

Rhule gave the kid a great chance to put his life together. Only one person made a big mistake and it's not Rhule. Rhyle trying to upgrade his talent and as he said surrounded the kid with advisors and very likely people to steer him clear of trouble.

Wow that is sad. But also record stupid. With the increased crime the last 3 years why would anyone believe that a liquor store would not have cameras everywhere.....

Rhule gave the kid a great chance to put his life together. Only one person made a big mistake and it's not Rhule. Rhyle trying to upgrade his talent and as he said surrounded the kid with advisors and very likely people to steer him clear of trouble.
Disagree. Never should have taken the kid after his prior troubles. Only damn reason he took him was because he could play football.

Reactions: Lion84

No success and no honor.

Look at all of the transgressions that the NFL overlooks. They only care if a guy can play.
yep.

I've got no problem with kids getting second chances. Lots of these kids grow up in challenging environments and are coddled through high school because of their athletic abilities. Often, college is the first structured environment they experience. I am OK with a kid getting a second chance if he/she cannot handle the change and expectations of their first school. I would imagine that many get sucked into the promises and have a completely different value system when portaliing out and selecting school #2.

it looks like this kid was given a second chance and blew it. I've got no problem with Neb offering that second chance. But it is time to turn the page and move on. I am sure Rhule knows this and is.

Oh how the mighty have fallen. If this had happened when Dr. Tom O was the coach, all would have been swept under the rug. And the arresting officers disciplined along with the store owner being fined.

It was a risk by Rhule and he'll deservedly get some criticism for it. If Prime added him and this happened at Colorado do you think you and others would say the same thing?

Reactions: bison13
yep.

I've got no problem with kids getting second chances. Lots of these kids grow up in challenging environments and are coddled through high school because of their athletic abilities. Often, college is the first structured environment they experience. I am OK with a kid getting a second chance if he/she cannot handle the change and expectations of their first school. I would imagine that many get sucked into the promises and have a completely different value system when portaliing out and selecting school #2.

it looks like this kid was given a second chance and blew it. I've got no problem with Neb offering that second chance. But it is time to turn the page and move on. I am sure Rhule knows this and is.
Even with this incident it’s hard not to root for Rhule. From what I have heard and read he has taken the exact opposite approach than Sanders in Colorado. He has embraced the kids already on the team and has encouraged a win now culture with current players who chose to stay, rather than pushing kids out and playing all young kids.

Even with this incident it’s hard not to root for Rhule. From what I have heard and read he has taken the exact opposite approach than Sanders in Colorado. He has embraced the kids already on the team and has encouraged a win now culture with current players who chose to stay, rather than pushing kids out and playing all young kids.
Speaking of that, it is interesting to me that the media has chosen to so highlight Neon Deon's Colorado Buffalos program.

Speaking of that, it is interesting to me that the media has chosen to so highlight Neon Deon's Colorado Buffalos program.
Yea I’m rooting for Nebraska in a couple of weeks. Quite a contrast in approach.

Why interesting? Isn't it predictable?
Prime is an HOFer who decided to build a team through the portal...regardless of anyone's opinion on that decision it's going to create buzz and attention.
I prefer Rhule's approach but there's no right way to do things.

In a similar vein, Greg Schiano actively recruited and offered a convicted juvenile sex offender and was forced to withdraw the offer just an hour before ESPN was about to report the story. I don't know what the back story is on Gilbert, if he was ever convicted of a crime but Schiano showed poor judgement in recruiting Reggie Dixon. Every situation is different but this is what happens when you take a chance on troubled kids or coaches with their own issues.

yep.

I think his issues are deeper…mental possibly…I mean.. breaking into a liquor store.. schools hometown ??

..and he may have been #1 recruit when he went to Georgia couple years ago ?

Sad.

I think his issues are deeper…mental possibly…I mean.. breaking into a liquor store.. schools hometown ??

..and he may have been #1 recruit when he went to Georgia couple years ago ?

Sad.
It seems Rhule was alluding to something beyond "tough upbringing".

But I once heard of a family that "adopted" a kid so he could play on Mississippi's football team!

Any of Deon's players arrested,

The point is simple...you're being critical yet not consistent
How? Name a college football program that has not had players arrested. Rhule gave the kid a chance, the kid blew it, not Rhule.

The question of Rhule vs Deon’s approach to take over a program is a completely different issue. I prefer Rhule’s approach.

How? Name a college football program that has not had players arrested. Rhule gave the kid a chance, the kid blew it, not Rhule.

The question of Rhule vs Deon’s approach to take over a program is a completely different issue. I prefer Rhule’s approach.
Yep...to your point....Rhule's issues are not completely under his control. Deion's are his doing 100%.

In a thread about the arrest
And yes Rhule takes blame for taking a chance on a kid he shouldn't have. Most on this board would be critical of Prime would absolutely attack him if this happened in Colorado. Actually this board would attack most programs but someone Rhule is safe from it. That's what is interesting...the double standard. I promise you when a Colorado player gets arrested the reaction won't be the same.

Yep...to your point....Rhule's issues are not completely under his control. Deion's are his doing 100%.
Who knows which approach will be more successful in the long run, I simply like how Rhule handled it.

In a thread about the arrest
And yes Rhule takes blame for taking a chance on a kid he shouldn't have. Most on this board would be critical of Prime would absolutely attack him if this happened in Colorado. Actually this board would attack most programs but someone Rhule is safe from it. That's what is interesting...the double standard. I promise you when a Colorado player gets arrested the reaction won't be the same.
If a Colorado player gets arrested for something, and it will probably happen at some point, you will not hear criticism of Sanders from me.

Even Joe had players arrested.

Reactions: psu00
If a Colorado player gets arrested for something, and it will probably happen at some point, you will not hear criticism of Sanders from me.

Exactly. Coaches can’t babysit all the players every day. If you want to evaluate a coach it’s in how they handle these situations, (or if they have policies that keep getting them into these situations).

"Most on this board"...didn't say you specifically
And it's not just about having someone arrested...its about the gamble Rhule took given this kids history at other programs

Disagree. Never should have taken the kid after his prior troubles. Only damn reason he took him was because he could play football.
Yep, the only reason any of the PSU roster is on the PSU roster is "because he could play football".

But fortunately for the players that have gotten into some trouble there are coaches that are willing to invest their time to try and help them straighen out their lives as some actually do get straightened out!!!

Bobby Engram was such a player. Pretty successful once he matured a bit!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: SR108

Can you say the same if Franklin has a player arrested?

Heck the Joebots complain when Franklin has players leave early for the NFL or if walk ons transfer to 1AA schools which then hurts the academic performance stats.

Only damn reason he took him was because he could play football.

This applies to virtually every division one college football player. Coaches who take players who can’t play football aren’t going to be very successful.

This applies to virtually every division one college football player. Coaches who take players who can’t play football aren’t going to be very successful.
100% accurate...its just weird some programs get attacked for it (likely because they win) and others get a pass.

I mean this kid transferred 3 times. No red flags?

Tons, but doesn't change the fact that the reason every coach takes every player is because they can play football. Saying Rhule took him because he can play football is sort of a "no shit" statement, it'd be noteworthy if he couldn't play football and Rhule took him. That would be worth calling out.

Reactions: LandoComando

Heck the Joebots complain when Franklin has players leave early for the NFL or if walk ons transfer to 1AA schools which then hurts the academic performance stats.
Sure, Franklin did have a player in trouble with the law this year.

Ted Kwalick was a project for the Penn State staff. Joe moved Ted into a coache's home after his freshman year. I met him many times. He once picked up his very short date by her head with one of his huge hands. She loved it.
He went on to become a great player, family man and business owner.
He and Frank Spaziani were very close but very opposite. Frank was a good influence and a very good student.
After his career was over, Gary Klingensmitj broke the jaw of a jerk who made fun of his voice. He webt on to coach Galudet. Everyone deserves our best efforts to help them leave Penn State and find success with honor.

Reactions: GregInPitt
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT