ADVERTISEMENT

Narduzzi manages to be right and get humiliated for it by Deion

Reactions: PSU_Nut and bison13
Duzz is correct, IMHO. And Pitt has had their share of success with incoming portal kids. I think we are still going through a shaking out period on the Portal. I like that kids have flexibility, especially when there is a coaching/philosophy change. But this is a whole new level where, it would appear, the coach pushed many out.

And this is where the players will need a union so they can negotiate a collective bargaining agreement. Make the 'ships four years guaranteed, increase the academic and medical standards, create better portal windows, lower the number of portal xfers a team or a kid can have in a year. Lots to think about and hammer out.

I agree and will add some guard rails need to be established regarding NIL as well.

Reactions: bison13
Pitt and it's fans are in a different world. I am reading the The Lair that they are landing Cam Lindsay. Hyping that PSY is "hot" after him. Really? LOL

Duzz is correct, IMHO. And Pitt has had their share of success with incoming portal kids. I think we are still going through a shaking out period on the Portal. I like that kids have flexibility, especially when there is a coaching/philosophy change. But this is a whole new level where, it would appear, the coach pushed many out.

And this is where the players will need a union so they can negotiate a collective bargaining agreement. Make the 'ships four years guaranteed, increase the academic and medical standards, create better portal windows, lower the number of portal xfers a team or a kid can have in a year. Lots to think about and hammer out.
Capitalism isn't always fair...and often unbridled capitalism can be corrupt. I agree that this is a "Brave New World" in Aldous Huxley speak...maybe it is just above board depictions of what has always been, or maybe this is just long ovetdue like the union movements in other industries? Likely both.

Was the old NCAA like Elizabethian England? Not exactly, they did get their educations. But what happens if an injury at "work" leads to a player not being able to pursue a career that they were studying...like Law Enforcement? That part of the equation was borne soley by the player/worker. This is a bit like the early factory worker who lost his arm was destined to beg for the rest of his life- with no compensation for his injury.

I agree that increased medical standards across all sports, but especially football, are the base. Some sort of insurance policies should accompany whatever is deemed "fair pay." Ideally players are indeed progressing towards some sort of academic degree- for thwir own good and that of whatever integrity is left in the term "student athlete." These 5 transfer basketball guys who are nowhere near finishing their educations shoukd be poster children for the downside of the "freedom" to jump around looking for playing time.

I've stopped diving too deep into learning about the people behind the jersey numbers for our teams. Many will not be around long enough for that side to matter. I love Penn State as much as anybody. The fact that this new world is offputting to me is a signal to the broader NCAA brand.

Those of us in our prime earning and spending years are critical for ticket, merch, and donations. The overall product cannot be so diluted that we lose interest. I'm starting to feel blase...it makes me sad.

Capitalism isn't always fair...and often unbridled capitalism can be corrupt. I agree that this is a "Brave New World" in Aldous Huxley speak...maybe it is just above board depictions of what has always been, or maybe this is just long ovetdue like the union movements in other industries? Likely both.

Was the old NCAA like Elizabethian England? Not exactly, they did get their educations. But what happens if an injury at "work" leads to a player not being able to pursue a career that they were studying...like Law Enforcement? That part of the equation was borne soley by the player/worker. This is a bit like the early factory worker who lost his arm was destined to beg for the rest of his life- with no compensation for his injury.

I agree that increased medical standards across all sports, but especially football, are the base. Some sort of insurance policies should accompany whatever is deemed "fair pay." Ideally players are indeed progressing towards some sort of academic degree- for thwir own good and that of whatever integrity is left in the term "student athlete." These 5 transfer basketball guys who are nowhere near finishing their educations shoukd be poster children for the downside of the "freedom" to jump around looking for playing time.

I've stopped diving too deep into learning about the people behind the jersey numbers for our teams. Many will not be around long enough for that side to matter. I love Penn State as much as anybody. The fact that this new world is offputting to me is a signal to the broader NCAA brand.

Those of us in our prime earning and spending years are critical for ticket, merch, and donations. The overall product cannot be so diluted that we lose interest. I'm starting to feel blase...it makes me sad.
Agreed. The point is that NIL can be good or bad for both players and teams. An opportunity for a CBA is the best possible outcome.

An Aliquippa kid going to Pitt? Now that's a real shocker.
They also act like he's a blue chip 4 star.....he's a nice solid 3 star....
Trying to pretend they're recruiting at a high level and snatching prospects from PSU....when their average recruit ranking is 9th or 10th in the ACC.

Reactions: PSU621

People love amateurism. No one cares about the minor leagues.
As CFB move closer and closer to professionalism and essentially becomes a lower tier pro football league, interest will necessarily fade.

Trying to pretend they're recruiting at a high level and snatching prospects from PSU....when their average recruit ranking is 9th or 10th in the ACC.
Well they are the King of the 3 Stars.

Reactions: bison13 and NJPSU
Actually, they are getting guys that have few P5 offers. I just found it amusing that they are trying to build this up as "stealing" a priority PSU recruit. While they currently have a "top ten" class, their average rating per commit is pretty sad.

This is why most programs wouldn't touch Deion, not that Colorado and Pitt are going to clash anytime soon, but there is no need to personally attack the guy. If someone brought that up to Franklin, he would just say he is managing the program to be the best or elite.

People love amateurism. No one cares about the minor leagues.
As CFB move closer and closer to professionalism and essentially becomes a lower tier pro football league, interest will necessarily fade.
No it won't because it's still tied to Universities and kids will still grow up watching certain programs.
Look at the ratings for the playoff games--CFB is absolutely fine and will see improved ratings as the playoff increases.

This is why most programs wouldn't touch Deion, not that Colorado and Pitt are going to clash anytime soon, but there is no need to personally attack the guy. If someone brought that up to Franklin, he would just say he is managing the program to be the best or elite.
If Deion wins at Colorado he'll have his choice of programs.

This is why I don’t place much importance in recruiting rankings anymore. Our staff has demonstrated the ability to identify lower-recruited prospects and turn them into NFL players. If they don’t think they can land the top-rated prospects and instead prioritize under-the-radar prospects with high upside, I trust them.

Pitt just landed another mid to low 3star. Vintage Pitt. Pitt should incorporate 3 stars into the Pitt logo.

No it won't because it's still tied to Universities and kids will still grow up watching certain programs.
Look at the ratings for the playoff games--CFB is absolutely fine and will see improved ratings as the playoff increases.
Who says Narduzzi is right? It's just his opinion.

You know what they say about opinions lando. thanks for being willing to always share yours.
Tell your Ma I said Hi.

Lando, after yet another triumphant internet message board post.

This is why I don’t place much importance in recruiting rankings anymore. Our staff has demonstrated the ability to identify lower-recruited prospects and turn them into NFL players. If they don’t think they can land the top-rated prospects and instead prioritize under-the-radar prospects with high upside, I trust them.
You get to play in the Coastal Division every year. Pitt is sixth in the ACC in players on NFL rosters. Temple has basically the same number of players on NFL rosters. Pitt has 17 and Temple 16. If you look at all the schools, your ranking of players on NFL rosters matches your overall recruiting averages.

You get to play in the Coastal Division every year. Pitt is sixth in the ACC in players on NFL rosters. Temple has basically the same number of players on NFL rosters. Pitt has 17 and Temple 16. If you look at all the schools, your ranking of players on NFL rosters matches your overall recruiting averages.
Pitt is very strange . Not a solid program. Not a lot of guys in the NFL. But they have some truly dominate players in the NFL.

Pitt is very strange . Not a solid program. Not a lot of guys in the NFL. But they have some truly dominate players in the NFL.
Yes they have some amazing NFL players in their history. The Pitt posters who come here always have the Pitt NFL narrative and the coach them up narrative. That is simply overstated. Since I don’t live anywhere near Pittsburgh, I don’t get the back and forth. I can understand back in the 70s and early 80s but not today. The PSU alums near me have zero feelings about Pitt football. I actually like betting Pitt games because they are more predictable than most. Two years ago I loved Pitt football for that reason.

The ACC no longer has divisions, but I hear what you’re saying. I guess I’m fine with that because it’s delivered good results for us, especially post-Covid.

The ACC no longer has divisions, but I hear what you’re saying. I guess I’m fine with that because it’s delivered good results for us, especially post-Covid.
It will be interesting without divisions. I wish you the best. I am afraid that the under-performers (FSU and Miami) are going to be better. I just think that until you are able to being in a larger number of 4 star recruits, you will always be a program that has some upsets but also head-scratching losses. More talent makes the head-scratchers less likely.

Yes they have some amazing NFL players in their history. The Pitt posters who come here always have the Pitt NFL narrative and the coach them up narrative. That is simply overstated. Since I don’t live anywhere near Pittsburgh, I don’t get the back and forth. I can understand back in the 70s and early 80s but not today. The PSU alums near me have zero feelings about Pitt football. I actually like betting Pitt games because they are more predictable than most. Two years ago I loved Pitt football for that reason.
Several more recent major stars like Shady McCoy, Swervin Ervin, Fitzgerald, Arnold. Couple O linemen. Some of the very best at their positions.

NO he wont. But he won't win so it doesn't matter.
Why are you assuming he wont win? He may not win this year but a watered down Pac XII is winnable moving forward.
And, yes, any coach that wins can pretty much go where they want.

Why are you assuming he will? And, no, any coach that wins at Colorado can not go "where they want". They can go somewhere, but NOT where they want. He'd never be accepted even at Stanford.....which minus the weather, isn't a major elevation in coaching status.

but a watered down Pac XII is winnable moving forward

Colorado hasn't even been winning 6 games in a PAC 12 that hasn't been strong since Pete Carroll left USC. The conference isn't the problem. The question is, can Deion turn it around.

Colorado hasn't even been winning 6 games in a PAC 12 that hasn't been strong since Pete Carroll left USC. The conference isn't the problem. The question is, can Deion turn it around.
Agreed but you take USC our of it and it's even weaker. Their big add is going to be SDSU. Maybe the go to the Big XII but I think claiming Deion won't win is illogical. He may or may not but it wouldn't be shocking if he did. In 2024.

Agreed but you take USC our of it and it's even weaker. Their big add is going to be SDSU. Maybe the go to the Big XII but I think claiming Deion won't win is illogical. He may or may not but it wouldn't be shocking if he did. In 2024.

I agree with your premise, but it's a 1 game swing for a team winning 5 or less games a year every year but 1 since 2009. If you aren't beating anybody with any consistency, not having to play USC is a minor thing.

The issue with Deion is this: he brought in kids to JSU that would not have been there, at the HBCU level, without Deion being there. If he can do something similar at Colorado, he will win some games. Last years recruiting class was in the 20s, this years 30s so far. Previously 55+ and lower rated. That and reworking the roster with the portal is a good start. Now, he's just gotta win.

If they are so great at identifying kids why does he average 5 losses per year? I mean even in his magical season he still managed to lose at home to a 5 loss Western Michigan team. So yes he had some high draft picks but obviously the rest of the team doesn't have enough talent to be more than an 7-5 type of team.

If they are so great at identifying kids why does he average 5 losses per year? I mean even in his magical season he still managed to lose at home to a 5 loss Western Michigan team. So yes he had some high draft picks but obviously the rest of the team doesn't have enough talent to be more than an 7-5 type of team.
Respectfully, I don’t think your averages tell the full story. In 2018, we brought in three new defensive coaches, one of which is the best DL coach in the country, along with a new WR coach. They’ve all been solid recruiters in the south and around the DMV. We’ve had more players from those areas since they’ve came on while averaging lower recruiting rankings (2018-present) than before under Narduzzi (2015-17), so something has changed in the overall strategy since their arrival.

The first two seasons where the majority of the players on the roster were recruited under them- 2021 and 2022- we averaged ten wins per season. There’s also only a few programs who’ve had more draft picks than us during that span. The depth in particular the past two seasons has been deeper than any we’ve had since the 80s, so I disagree with the notion that we don’t have enough talent to be more than a 7-5 type team because that’s just no longer the case.

Going back to my original post, I don’t think stars/rankings matter as much now for us because we’ve seemed to intentionally go after a lot of under-the-radar guys in the south after they came on.

Respectfully, I don’t think your averages tell the full story. In 2018, we brought in three new defensive coaches, one of which is the best DL coach in the country, along with a new WR coach. They’ve all been solid recruiters in the south and around the DMV. We’ve had more players from those areas since they’ve came on while averaging lower recruiting rankings (2018-present) than before under Narduzzi (2015-17), so something has changed in the overall strategy since their arrival.

The first two seasons where the majority of the players on the roster were recruited under them- 2021 and 2022- we averaged ten wins per season. There’s also only a few programs who’ve had more draft picks than us during that span. The depth in particular the past two seasons has been deeper than any we’ve had since the 80s, so I disagree with the notion that we don’t have enough talent to be more than a 7-5 type team because that’s just no longer the case.

Going back to my original post, I don’t think stars/rankings matter as much now for us because we’ve seemed to intentionally go after a lot of under-the-radar guys in the south after they came on.
Yet in the last two years you still managed 7 games while playing an incredibly weak schedule. 2021 you only played 3 ranked teams in 14 games. 10 of those teams has 5 or more losses. Last year you played 2 ranked teams and 9 games against teams with 5+ or more loses. If talented and rantings didn't matter why are you still losing to teams like Georgia Tech and Western Michigan even with all those draft picks?

Yet in the last two years you still managed 7 games while playing an incredibly weak schedule. 2021 you only played 3 ranked teams in 14 games. 10 of those teams has 5 or more losses. Last year you played 2 ranked teams and 9 games against teams with 5+ or more loses. If talented and rantings didn't matter why are you still losing to teams like Georgia Tech and Western Michigan even with all those draft picks?
We should’ve beat Georgia Tech and Louisville last year, and I think a large part of that blame falls on QB play. IMO, Kedon Slovis was the anthesis of the Narduzzi era; he was recruited solely based on talent despite being a poor fit. He struggled with rollouts which was/is a key part of our offense under Whipple and now Cignetti. Also didn’t help that he displayed poor leadership. Maybe it’s hindsight, but I wish we would’ve went with Nick Patti for a full season.

We should’ve beat Georgia Tech and Louisville last year, and I think a large part of that blame falls on QB play. IMO, Kedon Slovis was the anthesis of the Narduzzi era; he was recruited solely based on talent despite being a poor fit. He struggled with rollouts which was/is a key part of our offense under Whipple and now Cignetti. Also didn’t help that he displayed poor leadership. Maybe it’s hindsight, but I wish we would’ve went with Nick Patti for a full season.
The Ga Tech game was a big windfall for me. So sorry but I loved that game. Your overall talent is not high enough to play consistently good football. QB is a position that you need solid recruiting don’t you think?

The Ga Tech game was a big windfall for me. So sorry but I loved that game. Your overall talent is not high enough to play consistently good football. QB is a position that you need solid recruiting don’t you think?
I don’t necessarily disagree with the talent assessment. We’re not like Georgia or Ohio State where we’re guaranteed to beat every team we’re better than. I’m still fine with the overall recruiting, though. They know how to identify talent; just today, The Athletic did a re-ranking of the 2019 recruiting classes and Pitt came in at #9. I think we’re headed in the right direction.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT