ADVERTISEMENT

Most overpaid college football coaches.........

PSUs record has been horrible these last three years. Before that, We were pretty good (but that includes a generational RB and some darn good WRs and defensive players). Regardless, based on 2022's record, PSU is going to have to decide is the juice is worth the $8.5m squeeze. A win tomorrow would go a long way to filling the glass with juice.

8Wfm.gif

Reactions: Marylovesthelions
Two points: a) I like seeing it broken down by $ per win. A guy who earns $6m and averages 8 wins per year is a better value than a guy who earns $5.5m and averages 6 wins per year. b) It matters when the deal was last renegotiated. Someone who signed a long term contract back in 2017 is not going to enjoy the coaching inflation pay boost of someone who has renegotiated in 2021.

Two points: a) I like seeing it broken down by $ per win. A guy who earns $6m and averages 8 wins per year is a better value than a guy who earns $5.5m and averages 6 wins per year. b) It matters when the deal was last renegotiated. Someone who signed a long term contract back in 2017 is not going to enjoy the coaching inflation pay boost of someone who has renegotiated in 2021.
Agree and disagree.

Bt that leaves out a big part of the value of CJF. He is a great ambassador of the program and increases the PSU "brand". For example, the Keegan-Michael Key bit, the Eli Manning Chad Powers bit, and others. He also runs a pretty clean program so that has value as well. So while, as a fan, I love "wins" I can see that the university values him in more ways than that.

It's hard to argue with this. Franklin is a great example of everything a college football coach should be, with the exception of coaching actual football.
He's a great recruiter, the players love him, he's generally a great politician with the media and PSU admin to get facility and assistant support....If he could just be better at the part that occurs between the sidelines. It's obvious that PSU gets outcoached most weeks. PSU wins on talent and struggles against teams of similar/more talent. They lose games that should be won, squeak by against too many lesser teams, and rarely wins games as an underdog.

It very much seems like PSU fortunes are based on the competence of the OC/DC in a given year.

I'm not a franklin hater. I like him. I think he is a good representative of the University. But the above, IMHO, is a rational view of the past 8 years. I hope it improves!

It's hard to argue with this. Franklin is a great example of everything a college football coach should be, with the exception of coaching actual football.
He's a great recruiter, the players love him, he's generally a great politician with the media and PSU admin to get facility and assistant support....If he could just be better at the part that occurs between the sidelines. It's obvious that PSU gets outcoached most weeks. PSU wins on talent and struggles against teams of similar/more talent. They lose games that should be won, squeak by against too many lesser teams, and rarely wins games as an underdog.

It very much seems like PSU fortunes are based on the competence of the OC/DC in a given year.

I'm not a franklin hater. I like him. I think he is a good representative of the University. But the above, IMHO, is a rational view of the past 8 years. I hope it improves!
The article (assuming it's new) is poorly timed. They should have waited 3 more weeks. The guy's undefeated for cryin' out loud. I realize it's a VERY long shot at this point, but if he finishes undefeated, he is grossly underpaid.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
Not sure about the last 3, but they absolutely nailed it with Fisher and Franklin.
Yeah as the list went on it lost credibility. Jimbo is obviously 1. Franklin's probably safely in the top 5 but at least in the discussion. Shaw and Fitzgerald being on the list is laughable. Littrell's only on there because the writer is worried about meaningless bowl games.

It’s nice to know other people notice that Franklin is a fraud at coaching football and Psu is stupid enough to give him all this money for doing nothing

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT