ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Mike Rhoades continues roster rebuild, adds Lafayette forward Leo O'Boyle

Interesting addition...doesn't necessarily fit the style of play that I expect Rhoades to bring, but he does add more size and a much needed shooter. Looking forward to seeing what he can do this fall for us.

Reactions: psualt
A nice 6'7" player who can shoot coming off the bench. If he can give us that 8-12 points a game off the bench, and grab a few rebounds he will be a great addition.

could someone compare his game and skill set to that of Andrew Funk?
IDK but at 6-7 210, funk is 6-5 according to the official roster, he's a bit bigger and can probably play some PF if needed. If PSU coach wants to pull their bigs out of the paint, he can play this guy at PF and put him at the 3point line without giving up too much D on the other side of the court against the opponent's PF.

IDK but at 6-7 210, funk is 6-5 according to the official roster, he's a bit bigger and can probably play some PF if needed. If PSU coach wants to pull their bigs out of the paint, he can play this guy at PF and put him at the 3point line without giving up too much D on the other side of the court against the opponent's PF.
Although he is a bit bigger than Funk, he does not have the shot Funk has. Funk was so quick with his release that he was very difficult to guard. He moved much better without the ball, and has a bit deeper range. What he does seem to be able to do better is take the ball to the rim. Funk could get there and score, but it wasn't a real part of his game, where as O'Boyle seems to be able to take someone off the dribble. He also doesn't take as many 3's as Andrew took. Funk became a starter quickly, but I don't see this guy as a starter, but someone who can help us off the bench.

Although he is a bit bigger than Funk, he does not have the shot Funk has. Funk was so quick with his release that he was very difficult to guard. He moved much better without the ball, and has a bit deeper range. What he does seem to be able to do better is take the ball to the rim. Funk could get there and score, but it wasn't a real part of his game, where as O'Boyle seems to be able to take someone off the dribble. He also doesn't take as many 3's as Andrew took. Funk became a starter quickly, but I don't see this guy as a starter, but someone who can help us off the bench.
Funk also played a different role in the Patriot League than he played with us...his last season at Bucknell, he shot 253 2's vs. 240 3's. With us, it was 79 vs. 272.

I'd think overall, Funk was a bit better player and better shooter (didn't fully show up in the numbers at Bucknell since his usage was very high). But O'Boyle really adds an element that we don't have much of on the roster, while also giving us more size (we'll be a MUCH bigger team this season than last year).

Reactions: mmuncci
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT