ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan match thread - Fri, Jan 19

Your post is an excellent reminder of the god-given power of "The Nickname Dubber" within a given subset of people, particularly young males. By the laws of nature, not everyone has that authority, and when the Nickname Dubber speaks, that is the end of the matter. Sort of like Chevron deference.
Speaking of Chevron deference - have you seen the legal challenge to it? Could be shit-canned by the SC

I like that now when anyone in the entire wrestling community hears the name Mitchell they know exactly who u are talking about.

Put me in the camp that thinks he doesn't need a nickname.
6594f171-a369-44c7-867e-0312f9830903_text.gif

Speaking of Chevron deference - have you seen the legal challenge to it? Could be shit-canned by the SC
My take on todays argument:

1. Justice Kagan taking the lead with tough questions of plaintiff's counsel, many of which are focused on issues of congress 'drafting for the future' to allow agencies to address unforeseen questions. (As always, the "who decides" question is at the forefront.) Plaintiff's counsel wasn't particularly effective in his responses IMO, in the sense that "future questions" are the sort of thing that Congress should actually speak on and Chevron gives an off ramp. He sort of reverted to 'courts should just interpret the statutory terms.' Kav's questions relatively focused on distinguishing standards of deference for various types of agency authority/action. Barrett raises spectre of more litigation. KBJ argues Chevron actually 'incents' judges to distinguish between legal and policy questions and thereby helps judges stay in their lane - a very interesting point.
2. SG Prelogar, as always, is a pro. Kav/Gorsuch asking some good questions about how in practice judges use step two to avoid step one conclusions they don't like. Basically, questions about how the line between step one and two is blurry and standardless. (Soto offers open ended opportunity to express that 'standard' affirmatively.) Thomas seems to be arguing APA 706 ("the reviewing court shall decide questions of law") is dispositive and doesn't contemplate chevron step two, but the SG asserts that that language really doesn't speak to standard of review.
3. CJ, Alito, Barrett pretty quiet, though Alito's few comments give a decent feel for where he's coming from.

Frankly, pretty hard to speculate much about outcomes based on the argument

WrestleStat Prediction: Penn State over Michigan 29 - 3

These predictions are based on updated ranking as of today (1/15). Interesting that the only loss predicted for PSU is MM to Amine.

Braeden Davis (Penn State) over Michael DeAugustino (Michigan) DEC 8 - 3
Aaron Nagao (Penn State) over Dylan Ragusin (Michigan) DEC 7 - 4
Beau Bartlett (Penn State) over Sergio Lemley (Michigan) DEC 5 - 4
Tyler Kasak (Penn State) over Austin Gomez (Michigan) DEC 8 - 7
Levi Haines (Penn State) over Zack Mattin (Michigan) MD 11 - 2
Cameron Amine (Michigan) over Mitchell Mesenbrink (Penn State) DEC 5 - 4
Carter Starocci (Penn State) over Shane Griffith (Michigan) DEC 5 - 4
Bernie Truax (Penn State) over Jaden Bullock (Michigan) DEC 9 - 6
Aaron Brooks (Penn State) over Bobby Striggow (Michigan) MD 18 - 4
Greg Kerkvliet (Penn State) over Lucas Davison (Michigan) DEC 6 - 4

Starrocci is only going to beat Griffith by a point? Things that make you go hhhmmmm....

Agreed! We had a new guy come into the fire department and tried to give himself a nickname, he fail miserably. 20 years later he's stuck with a name he really doesn't like. And I use it every chance it get.....Moonshine!
Case in point: David Taylor was dubbed the magic man by someone. Carl naughton jr was not.

My take on todays argument:

1. Justice Kagan taking the lead with tough questions of plaintiff's counsel, many of which are focused on issues of congress 'drafting for the future' to allow agencies to address unforeseen questions. (As always, the "who decides" question is at the forefront.) Plaintiff's counsel wasn't particularly effective in his responses IMO, in the sense that "future questions" are the sort of thing that Congress should actually speak on and Chevron gives an off ramp. He sort of reverted to 'courts should just interpret the statutory terms.' Kav's questions relatively focused on distinguishing standards of deference for various types of agency authority/action. Barrett raises spectre of more litigation. KBJ argues Chevron actually 'incents' judges to distinguish between legal and policy questions and thereby helps judges stay in their lane - a very interesting point.
2. SG Prelogar, as always, is a pro. Kav/Gorsuch asking some good questions about how in practice judges use step two to avoid step one conclusions they don't like. Basically, questions about how the line between step one and two is blurry and standardless. (Soto offers open ended opportunity to express that 'standard' affirmatively.) Thomas seems to be arguing APA 706 ("the reviewing court shall decide questions of law") is dispositive and doesn't contemplate chevron step two, but the SG asserts that that language really doesn't speak to standard of review.
3. CJ, Alito, Barrett pretty quiet, though Alito's few comments give a decent feel for where he's coming from.

Frankly, pretty hard to speculate much about outcomes based on the argument
Blah blah blah blah

Reactions: Aardvark86
Having played team sports I've been lucky enough to be the nickname giver in more than a few situations. It's always hilarious when somebody doesn't like their nickname but it catches on right away. We had this one guy that was going bald and started using Rogaine which sort of gave him man-boobs, he became "Chester." I'm probably most proud of that one because it caught on so quickly.

Having played team sports I've been lucky enough to be the nickname giver in more than a few situations. It's always hilarious when somebody doesn't like their nickname but it catches on right away. We had this one guy that was going bald and started using Rogaine which sort of gave him man-boobs, he became "Chester." I'm probably most proud of that one because it caught on so quickly.
that is the awesome mystical power of the nickname dubber.

First day of college, my buddy who was clearly the nickname dubber declared that a guy from Boston would be called "Beans". It's stuck for life.

Ok people how do we see it this Friday? Will Truax go? Who's ducking for Michigan?
Truax is only available for one year and was brought in for a very specific reason. For him not to be the starter there would either need to be a physical issue or the wrestler behind him would need to prove himself significantly better than Truax in head-to-head competition.

Reactions: Ski
There are too many close matches in this dual for us to blow through them like many are expecting.

I'm guessing they win 3 matches against us and wouldn't be surprised at 4. We could definitely find ourselves in a hole and with an absolute sh*tshow of a match thread come 157 before the Riders of the Storm start rolling and restore order.

Hope I'm wrong.
Quoting you from that dummy thread. I understand the caution--we could certainly lose 125, expecting to lose 149. 165 is a "prove it" moment for Mitch, if Amine actually wrestles. Next likely uspet is what, 133 or Hvy? Those seem like stretches, but I guess we'll see.

I like that now when anyone in the entire wrestling community hears the name Mitchell they know exactly who u are talking about.

Put me in the camp that thinks he doesn't need a nickname.
Noticed he's ranked ninth at the moment. From where I sit, It's very hard to believe there are eight people at 165 better than Mitchell Mesenbrink.

His aggressiveness is obvious, but even better is that it always looks to be well-directed aggression. He never appears to attack just to be attacking. There's always a plan as to what move is next and he's apparently flexible- and experienced enough to quickly move from Plan 'A' to Plan 'B' as the situation dictates.

Was trying to think of another Sanderson-era wrestler to compare him with, but really couldn't. His style and intensity of directed aggression seem unique. At the beginning of the season he did seem to settle into 165 rather quickly, especially for a newcomer, so maybe the staff thought they saw something there. Now, as the B1G season kicks off, others appear to be "seeing something there" as well. My own take is that a National Championship isn't out of the question this year and that more than one is very likely in his future.

Last edited:
My freshman year, at Penn State, on our floor we had a rather weird/strange guy from New Jersey. His last name was Friedell and I came up with the nickname Freef*ckell unfortunately for him it stuck immediately and for the next 4 years, that’s what he was called. Boy did he hate that nickname.

Quoting you from that dummy thread. I understand the caution--we could certainly lose 125, expecting to lose 149. 165 is a "prove it" moment for Mitch, if Amine actually wrestles. Next likely uspet is what, 133 or Hvy? Those seem like stretches, but I guess we'll see.
Actually, I'm pretty confident about 165. MM is giving me DT vibes and I'm not sure he's ever going to lose to anyone that is not NC caliber, although he has to prove it. But he absolutely torched a very, very good wrestler last week which just doesn't happen. Playing with his food.

133 will be close, 285 could be close. If people think 141 won't be close they aren't paying attention. 184 could be in play, but I hope not, that would not be great.

Put those together with two matches that we ARE underdogs in - 125, 149 - and odds say we are losing 3, maybe 4 if things don't break our way. 125 and 149 - if you drill down on their results this year, they still are question marks. Improving, yes, but people are getting way too far ahead of themselves. Each of their signature wins is over guys that are very suspect this year and they've also had some pretty close matches with borderline qualifier types.

Flo has some videos today with JD interviewing some of the Michigan wrestlers. Griffith, while being respectful made an off hand comment like he expects to win. You know Carter going to take that as a slight and come out hungrier than normal.

Lewan was also interviewed. He definetly going Friday and looks forward to showing he’s the top guy at the weight.

Cam Amine claims he’s never seen MM wrestle and that the coaches are giving him some things to look for. LOL yeah right he hasn’t seen him wrestle. He claims he hasn’t been offensive enough and vows to just go out and score points. I hope he starts this new look Friday because if he opens it up, Psycho will tech him

To be clear..neither guy was being cocky, but these types of interviews have me feeling Levi, MM and Star going to make statements

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT