ADVERTISEMENT

Long Journey and I am tired

I began at PSU in 1962. Rip Engle was coach and a really good one. Paterno was QB coach. In 1966 JoePa replaced Rip and started a new tradition of football at PSU. I followed every game I could on Armed Forces Radio while serving in the Air Force during Vietnam war. When I returned to PSU in 1970, I became season ticket holder until approximately 3 years ago. I went through the good and bad of JoePa (wouldn't throw over the middle, etc.) But Joe could win the big game and I had faith that the team on the field always would be competitive and physical. But that has changed. I first became a little worried when coach Johnson left for Ohio State. Still don't understand what happened. He was one helluva coach and his son was one of the greatest running backs I have seen. But now I am tired, as CJF coaches scared. There is no reason why Allar has not flourished and no reason we cannot run the ball with two great backs. There is no reason that receivers cannot shake their coverage as was the case yesterday. Actually, there is a reason - CJF and his uncreative offensive scheme. Some of the play calling was a joke and he should be held responsible. Accordingly, it is my frustrated opinion that Yurich should be let go and a dynamic OC hired and he must have freedom to design and implement a new offense. If not we will continue to fall. Remember, the new Big Ten alignment will put us against some damned fine teams and we need to have our act together. If we cannot change, then this old faithful alum will root for Rutgers!
I thought this was going to be a post about your long journey home from Columbus. I get what you're saying for the most part. I don't get why it's CJF and his uncreative offensive scheme in one sentence and Yurcich should be let go in the second. What is going to happen to make CJF take his hands off the new OC? It's hard to know what is coming from the head coach and what's coming from the OC. The one constant has been Franklin. His offenses have almost always had problems against teams with similar or equal talent and when it goes wrong he he blames the coordinator that he hired. Maybe he should look in the mirror when assigning blame.

you are correct, the system has changed. But, the entire system has changed..why would we consider $700 million for stadium upgrades in this environment? The money is not coming from the University or from "profits" from the athletic department (we're not proposing eliminating any sports to preserve money), so it has to come from donations. But, isn't that the old model? Wouldn't it be better to maybe spend half the $700 million on upgrades and the other $350 million for NIL? That's the new direction. If what you posted is accurate, and I have no reason to believe it's not, then PSU is about to make a huge mistake. No where in your post did you mention that an upgraded stadium would weigh in a recruits decision.
So, maybe before PSU goes off on a major financial decision it should consider the new environment as well as the potential donor base of the future. Are the students of today going to belly up for continued donations as generations past? Are tomorrow's players going to be more interested in championships or the NIL money in their pockets? lots of questions to be addressed before moving forward I think
My post was too long as it was. Getting into stadium upgrades is an entire book. Need serious upgrades to the old grey lady to keep fans coming. And the best game experience in the country definitely helps recruiting. Pretty obvious.

But I have predicted many times that the university model of education is at serious risk. Enrollment is falling rapidly. Students are already opting for community colleges. Soon online will replace them. Corporations will hire right out of high school and train in house and online. More and more kids are starting their own businesses and never go to college…..online influencers, marketing, design, niche products.

You think NIL and portal is changing sports, wait until enrollment is cut in half.

you are correct, the system has changed. But, the entire system has changed..why would we consider $700 million for stadium upgrades in this environment? The money is not coming from the University or from "profits" from the athletic department (we're not proposing eliminating any sports to preserve money), so it has to come from donations. But, isn't that the old model? Wouldn't it be better to maybe spend half the $700 million on upgrades and the other $350 million for NIL? That's the new direction. If what you posted is accurate, and I have no reason to believe it's not, then PSU is about to make a huge mistake. No where in your post did you mention that an upgraded stadium would weigh in a recruits decision.
So, maybe before PSU goes off on a major financial decision it should consider the new environment as well as the potential donor base of the future. Are the students of today going to belly up for continued donations as generations past? Are tomorrow's players going to be more interested in championships or the NIL money in their pockets? lots of questions to be addressed before moving forward I think
We are in Pa.not the South. Until we move the university this is probably close to our ceiling.

All true. But wait……there’s more!

College football is so much different. First up, the players. Used to be kids played multiple sports, played where coaches wanted them to, and dreamed of playing for the local/regional power. Now they concentrate on one sport, one position, play it all year. Attend camps, hire trainers, get dad jobs as coaches. The entire high school regime is about maximizing chances to get to the NFL.

Because of that they pick the mega powers that win natties. They know not only the head coach but which school has the best position coach that will get him to the NFL. There are recruiting gurus that find every player and rate them so it’s nearly impossible to find a hidden gem. And kids care far less about where dad played and go where the odds are best. And dad supports that because millions of dollars are on the line.

So the machine schools dominate and it’s very difficult to break through. And NIL and Portal is making it worse. Now kids get big bucks so they can play anywhere and help out mom and dad if needed. And the entire family can afford to travel to games now so no need to stay close to home.

Add in the playoff madness that only a very few schools can say they make it almost every year. Kids love that attention and added publicity it gets them. For a five star kid, that playoff competition can make a third rounder into a first rounder. From a half million dollar bonus the three years and a huge bonus. Huge.

Perhaps the 12 team playoffs will help. But for it to change things some teams in the 8-10 range will have to go on a run and at least make the finals. And winning one and fading away won’t do it. A school will have to win several title to join The Club……like Clemson did.

Its a different world, a different t game, and different sport. And a massive business.

Even the tv coverage is so different. In the old days teams played regional rivalries usually on regional tv. Think Pitt, WVU, Syracuse, Maryland. So that helped keep recruiting regional neighbors argued with neighbors. Now every team gets national coverage every weekend. Doesn’t matter where you play the hometown can still watch.

The game has changed. The world has changed. Period.
You're right on everything there. We are not winning it all any time in the near future. See my post on our wrestling team. Seems everyone can grasp how Sanderson wanted this job due to location, Pa. is not as good for recruiting as it was in the mid 60s-80s.

Joe stayed too long but in his prime he was considered the best coach in the game and Penn State was arguably the best program in the country after the 86 NC.
Franklin will never, ever sniff that level of success.
You're right, he won't but neither will PSU. the south has won 21/23 last titles. OSU won in 2002 and 2014. Let's go back to PSU in 1986-87. Miami wins the next year followed by ND, then Miami, Colorado/Georgia Tech, Washington/Miami, Bama, FSU. Nebraska 2x, Florida, Michigan/Nebraska, Tennessee, and FSU.

The South has been rising for some time now.

I really believe and have believed that the problem is the Franklin offensive system. I have never liked what they do. Everything PSU does looks hard even when it works. I watch some of the Duke/FSU game and they had guys running open and making easy throws. No of those seem to exist in the PSU offense.

Until the head coach changes how they want to play offense things will remain the same.

I don't think Allar is the problem. He looked nervous before the game. He is 19(?). It is not easy to play in the Shoe. I think the case is more one of preparation and an offensive schema that is designed specifically against OSU. He was under a lot of pressure, and when he had the time, the receivers were not separated from defenders. Yes, Pribula would offer another dimension that could have helped. I think this was a case of failed offensive preparation

Reactions: KCLion
But
You're right, he won't but neither will PSU. the south has won 21/23 last titles. OSU won in 2002 and 2014. Let's go back to PSU in 1986-87. Miami wins the next year followed by ND, then Miami, Colorado/Georgia Tech, Washington/Miami, Bama, FSU. Nebraska 2x, Florida, Michigan/Nebraska, Tennessee, and FSU.

The South has been rising for some time now.
But as stated previously - the critics aren’t comparing PSU to the South. We are comparing ourselves to OSU and Michigan.

Oh, but OSU has Ohio locked down - right? But 12 for 172 were PA on both ends.

I don't think Allar is the problem. He looked nervous before the game. He is 19(?). It is not easy to play in the Shoe. I think the case is more one of preparation and an offensive schema that is designed specifically against OSU. He was under a lot of pressure, and when he had the time, the receivers were not separated from defenders. Yes, Pribula would offer another dimension that could have helped. I think this was a case of failed offensive preparation
Allar has a lot of pressure on him going back home to play that game. Sometimes when we want something so bad, we get in our own way. Allar will learn from it.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT