ADVERTISEMENT

Lehigh: Go

Matches to note (a lot has happened already)

-125 since we're curious who goes and how they stack up against a very solid Luke Stanich (or experienced Sheldon Seymour) If it's Braeden, I expect a controlled win. If it's also Braeden, think it's a sign he's almost certainly the guy as we're starting to use up his dates.

-133 is the match of the night, hopefully it's Crookham but heard rumblings Santoro might still give McGonagle another shot

-141 Hines is a very good opponent and I feel I would be more interested in it if Beau hadn't beaten him 15-3 at Black Knight

-165 for no reason then I look forward to Mesenbrink techfalling with takedowns again

-197 because once again it's a former Lion Beard who right now can flex he's 1-0 against PSU starters. Have a feeling this one might get out of hand especially if Michael gases. I expect a bonus win for Aaron similar to what Trent did.

-285 Taylor is a good opponent but Kerk wrestled him already and just kind of cruised. Wonder if he is more aggressive.

friends sleep GIF

Any chance he bumps up Crookham to wrestle Beau?
Doesn't seem likely. Hines is a returning R12 who is one of their best wrestlers. I don't think they bump him out or force him to wrestle SVN instead. I realize Beau just dismantled him at the Journeyman, but he's better than that.

I remember
Somebody has to bring it up...
I remember seeing Mike Caruso (3 time NCAA Champ) in Rec Hall in 67 or 68 (not sure which). He was the first college “ hammer” that I ever saw. He put a huge charge into the Rec Hall crowd with his theatrics. He backed it up with a dominate win. What I remember most is how fired up our fans were. For me …. an essential piece of the Rec Hall lore. For this reason alone, I cherish the annual PSu-Lehigh event.

Hoagie Sciabica riding out Mike Frick for 3 straight minutes at Rec Hall in 1977... amazing.

Jerry White as a true freshman taking Terry DeStito as a senior into deep waters at Grace Hall, losing 5-4 on a last minute reversal and the temperature in that gym was like 85 degrees 😂 1974...

Reactions: hlstone
Huh?? I thought Dean settled this 2 years ago.Not that there was anything to settle in the first place lol.

Either way,Aaron Brooks would be the LAST guy who would be looking for some type of retribution.
Th butt kicking will be collateral damage from AB's career but its fun to think of movie titles for matches. Cstar vs anybody this year will be "Violence is the answer".

PSU wrestling will be on tomorrow during the Steelers game. Was curious what you guys do when your favorite NFL team and PSU wrestling is on at the same time. For me,PSU wrestling comes first and I record the football game. What do you guys do?
LOL not even close with these Steelers ,WRESTLING ALL THE WAY!

Jerry White as a true freshman taking Terry DeStito as a senior into deep waters at Grace Hall, losing 5-4 on a last minute reversal and the temperature in that gym was like 85 degrees 😂 1974...
I don't think DeStito was a senior in 1974. And he went up to Heavy in his senior year, I think - and placed 5th.

Here is some quality hate from The Lehigh newspaper, I copied and pasted since it's behind a paywall...

Thought No. 1: Penn State’s dominance is bad for collegiate wrestling.

Really bad, actually.

OK, OK, OK, before we go any further, let me be clear: I am not anti-Penn State. Cael Sanderson might be the best college coach in any sport in our lifetime. The Nittany Lions conduct themselves with class, and what they do on the mat can take the breath away. It’s easy to see why so many top prospects want to go to State College.

But it would be better if many of them didn’t.

When one team is so dominant, it takes all the juice out of a sport.

Notice no one is talking about who will win the NCAA Division I championship this year – why bother? We all know who it will be. Instead, we’re talking about whether Penn State can set the all-time scoring record (answer: you bet).

This is, of course, great for Penn State fans, and we don’t begrudge them a bit for reveling in their team’s absolute ownership of the sport.

But, it’s absolutely no fun when we all know what’s going to happen in advance.

On Sunday, Lehigh is going to Penn State. The Mountain Hawks are one of the most distinguished programs in the country tradition-wise and are a top-20 team.

However, barring a meteor hitting the Nittany Lions training room between now and then, Lehigh has absolutely no chance to win. Instead, the talk is whether Lehigh will get shut out.

That’s not to pick on the Mountain Hawks – almost any team would be in the same spot. Even against ranked teams Penn State can name the score.

In football, say, in such a matchup, an upset is entirely plausible. In basketball, even more so.

In wrestling? Not. A. Chance.

Wrestling folks hate any comparison to basketball, but let’s look at last year’s championships. In men’s basketball, a crazy, wide-open tournament sent teams like San Diego State and Florida Atlantic to the Final Four. It attracted all kinds of interest and raised hope among every team in the country that they could compete for a championship.

That’s what sports are all about.

Then look at wrestling. No doubt whatsoever, no hope for an upset, just another Penn State march to a trophy. No sizzle, no juice. Boring.

What Penn State does is awfully impressive. But it would be better for the sport if there were four or five teams – or more – in the mix. It would be better if, at nationals, five or six teams’ fans entered the arena with realistic championship hopes.

That’s not happening anytime soon. The Penn State Death Star rules the land.

Some SERIOUS HATE.

"better for the sport", translation: I hate Cael Sanderson so much because he took Penn State to the dynasty it is and marginalized all the smaller programs in the mid Atlantic like Lehigh and the Iveys
Remember: Midwest dominance = good; Penn State dominance = bad.

I know this is a Lehigh writer, but my point largely stands.

You know it’s driving Gable crazy. He’s on his recliner staring out at those bare farm fields cursing Cael as we speak

PSU wrestling will be on tomorrow during the Steelers game. Was curious what you guys do when your favorite NFL team and PSU wrestling is on at the same time. For me,PSU wrestling comes first and I record the football game. What do you guys do?
Ditto. And my favorite NFL team is good. :)

Reactions: johnstownsteel
I don’t miss many matches, but I’m at a conference, have zero chance at watching and would greatly appreciate someone doing PBP tomorrow. Thanks in advance.

I watch the wrestling and if the Steelers win, I watch the game highlights in 5 minutes. Much better use of my time, and not nearly as frustrating 😂

Here is some quality hate from The Lehigh newspaper, I copied and pasted since it's behind a paywall...

Thought No. 1: Penn State’s dominance is bad for collegiate wrestling.

Really bad, actually.

OK, OK, OK, before we go any further, let me be clear: I am not anti-Penn State. Cael Sanderson might be the best college coach in any sport in our lifetime. The Nittany Lions conduct themselves with class, and what they do on the mat can take the breath away. It’s easy to see why so many top prospects want to go to State College.

But it would be better if many of them didn’t.

When one team is so dominant, it takes all the juice out of a sport.

Notice no one is talking about who will win the NCAA Division I championship this year – why bother? We all know who it will be. Instead, we’re talking about whether Penn State can set the all-time scoring record (answer: you bet).

This is, of course, great for Penn State fans, and we don’t begrudge them a bit for reveling in their team’s absolute ownership of the sport.

But, it’s absolutely no fun when we all know what’s going to happen in advance.

On Sunday, Lehigh is going to Penn State. The Mountain Hawks are one of the most distinguished programs in the country tradition-wise and are a top-20 team.

However, barring a meteor hitting the Nittany Lions training room between now and then, Lehigh has absolutely no chance to win. Instead, the talk is whether Lehigh will get shut out.

That’s not to pick on the Mountain Hawks – almost any team would be in the same spot. Even against ranked teams Penn State can name the score.

In football, say, in such a matchup, an upset is entirely plausible. In basketball, even more so.

In wrestling? Not. A. Chance.

Wrestling folks hate any comparison to basketball, but let’s look at last year’s championships. In men’s basketball, a crazy, wide-open tournament sent teams like San Diego State and Florida Atlantic to the Final Four. It attracted all kinds of interest and raised hope among every team in the country that they could compete for a championship.

That’s what sports are all about.

Then look at wrestling. No doubt whatsoever, no hope for an upset, just another Penn State march to a trophy. No sizzle, no juice. Boring.

What Penn State does is awfully impressive. But it would be better for the sport if there were four or five teams – or more – in the mix. It would be better if, at nationals, five or six teams’ fans entered the arena with realistic championship hopes.

That’s not happening anytime soon. The Penn State Death Star rules the land.

Some SERIOUS HATE.
The guy does make a good point. While I totally love Penn State’s wrestlers and coaches and I’m thrilled that we should dominate, it does take the mystery out of the team title.

In 2014 when Minnesota already had their t-shirts printed for their 2014 championship or when Bo pinned Myles back in 2018 the chase for the team title was tooth and nail until the very end. It made each match that sthe contending teams had of utmost importance and significance. It was tense but so exciting as things played out!

I can see why other teams fans may be thinking what’s the point- the team title is already a given. I’m happy to enjoy every second of this season and the ones to come for at least the next few years. It’s been a great run with no end in sight.

We are indeed privileged and I’m very grateful! Let the bonus point wins never end!

I do the same as you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT