ADVERTISEMENT

latest Suriano news

I'm not trying to say it happened, but I don't think it would be unreasonable to think for Cael to have made a trip down to try and convince NS to come back, and expect a reply from NS within a reasonable amount of time. With NS continued attempt to try to get out of PSU after the visit by Cael, and then the family realizing that NS was going to have to sit a year to make RU happen , NS thought screw it, I'll go back to PSU. Cael then said no thanks Nick your heart isn't in it. That gave NS a hell of a case to take to the B10, saying I'm not welcome back on the PSU team.

Again, I'm just taking a rumor i heard and making it fit the story.
You just explained perfectly what I've felt all summer would happen when all was said and done. I've alluded to this idea throughout the whole process. I'm clearly speculating here and sharing my opinion on how Nick was able to move to Rutgers without losing eligibility. It's my opinion....I'm stating nothing as fact.

You have a better way with words...

Last edited:
I'm not trying to say it happened, but I don't think it would be unreasonable to think for Cael to have made a trip down to try and convince NS to come back, and expect a reply from NS within a reasonable amount of time. With NS continued attempt to try to get out of PSU after the visit by Cael, and then the family realizing that NS was going to have to sit a year to make RU happen , NS thought screw it, I'll go back to PSU. Cael then said no thanks Nick your heart isn't in it. That gave NS a hell of a case to take to the B10, saying I'm not welcome back on the PSU team.

Again, I'm just taking a rumor i heard and making it fit the story.

If Suriano were not able to return to Penn State, that would fit him under the exceptions category for the B1G intraconference transfer rule.

3. Pre- and Post-Matriculation Exceptions

a. Cancellation of Tender Due to Inadmissibility. When a prospective student-athlete is inadmissible to the institution for which a tender has been accepted, the tender shall be considered null and void and the intraconference transfer penalty does not apply.

Reactions: johnstownsteel
Does anyone remember when Nick was removed from the PSU roster? I'm thinking it was right before the meeting between Cael and Mr. Suriano but not sure. At the time I thought it was strange that Nick didn't sit in on the meeting....it's his future after all. Is it possible he was already told he was released from the team?

Last edited:
Also, and I'm almost ashamed that I'm going to admit this but I'm not so sure the poster that claimed he saw paperwork proving Nicks intentions of coming back was lying. There....I said it. Lol.

I hope something comes out as to how this all went down but I'm leaning towards Nick coming back so as to not lose a year and Cael deciding to release him from the team.

Last edited:
Agree with a poster over on RU board suggesting that the more legit the basis was, the less likely we are to ever hear what it is. And that's unfortunate because unlike the Micic transfer, where the facts were self-evident, everyone here is speculating from not many bread crumbs, perhaps unfairly so. PSU and the B1G are likely quite constrained in how they can discuss the matter, but the Surianos aren't, which is why the the press coverage in NJ was skewed. Reporter Ryan Dunleavy was hearing one side of the story, and not even the whole story, the Why conspicuous by its omission, even now. I think it's best to assume that we'll never hear the real reason, and that there's a good enough reason that we won't.

Good luck to Nick, please beat NaTo every time you get a chance, and we'll be just fine here.

Reactions: johnstownsteel
"Penn State officials refused a closed-doors request for an amicable split."
B1G grants waiver, won't talk about extenuating circumstances. PSU refuses to respond to inquiry.

Maybe it's time for this board to start looking inward instead of throwing shade at Suriano or his dad.

"Penn State officials refused a closed-doors request for an amicable split."
B1G grants waiver, won't talk about extenuating circumstances. PSU refuses to respond to inquiry.

Maybe it's time for this board to start looking inward instead of throwing shade at Suriano or his dad.
Penn State was likely under specific constraints to not discuss the matter with anyone except the B1G and the Surianos, a group that didn't include hacky reporters from NJ.com.

Reactions: dunkej01
Agree with a poster over on RU board suggesting that the more legit the basis was, the less likely we are to ever hear what it is. And that's unfortunate because unlike the Micic transfer, where the facts were self-evident, everyone here is speculating from not many bread crumbs, perhaps unfairly so. PSU and the B1G are likely quite constrained in how they can discuss the matter, but the Surianos aren't, which is why the the press coverage in NJ was skewed. Reporter Ryan Dunleavy was hearing one side of the story, and not even the whole story, the Why conspicuous by its omission, even now. I think it's best to assume that we'll never hear the real reason, and that there's a good enough reason that we won't.

Good luck to Nick, please beat NaTo every time you get a chance, and we'll be just fine here.

If what Mr. Bill over there says is true, Penn State is not even given the opportunity to hear what the grounds for the waiver request are.

The reason the NJ.com stories were skewed was that neither Dunleavy or Politi did any independent investigation. They just "reported" what Rutgers told them.

Last edited:
The NJ.com stories were skewed was that neither Dunleavy or Politi did any independent investigation. They just "reported" what Rutgers told them.
Right. When there are significant question marks to a story, like this one, it's better to treat with greater skepticism one side's framing of loaded sentences like this: "Penn State officials refused a closed-doors request for an amicable split."

Smarter journalists would write "Sources close to the Surianos say that Penn state officials refused..."

That was your inference. Certainly nothing Cael actually said.

Of course it is my inference from what Cael said, I never said otherwise. But his actual quote at the time had enough in it to make me think "hmmmm, strange". Hence my post. Obviously you disagree, which is your prerogative, but it doesn't make my thinking at the time any less valid, particularly since we now see (at least some) inference that the transfer might (emphasis might) be injury related.

Reactions: el dub
Right. When there are significant question marks to a story, like this one, it's better to treat with greater skepticism one side's framing of loaded sentences like this: "Penn State officials refused a closed-doors request for an amicable split."

Smarter journalists would write "Sources close to the Surianos say that Penn state officials refused..."

I wouldn't say "Smarter journalists" I would say "More Honest journalists".

At the end of the day Rutgers is still Rutgers. They won't win the dual against PSU and they aren't winning the title in March.

At the end of the day Rutgers is still Rutgers. They won't win the dual against PSU and they aren't winning the title in March.
I don't know anything other than what I read, but do you believe the Suriano's primary objective is to help Rutgers.

Ok, since this is the off topic thread, I have a question. What the hell is the conditional draft pick for Cockrel? I've Googleed it, yahoo ed it binged it and there are no details of "conditional". Help me please!

If what Mr. Bill over there says is true, Penn State is not even given the opportunity to hear what the grounds for the waiver request are.
Are you sure that you want to hear them? Usually programs try to keep their dirty laundry inhouse. You can be assured that the B1G did not grant a waiver exception because Suriano was homesick. Micic got his waiver because the coach was fired for misconduct. Suriano got his waiver because the coach....(you fill in the blanks).

If Suriano were not able to return to Penn State, that would fit him under the exceptions category for the B1G intraconference transfer rule.

3. Pre- and Post-Matriculation Exceptions

a. Cancellation of Tender Due to Inadmissibility. When a prospective student-athlete is inadmissible to the institution for which a tender has been accepted, the tender shall be considered null and void and the intraconference transfer penalty does not apply.
Really? Suriano became "inadmissible to the institution" that he was taking summer classes from?

If Cael kicked him off the team -- which has hardly been established as anything more than spitballing -- he still could've returned to PSU as a student.

The only way this makes any sense at all is if his grades were so bad after the summer classes that he couldn't return -- but then he could go to Rutgers and be immediately eligible?

Reactions: matter7172
Really? Suriano became "inadmissible to the institution" that he was taking summer classes from?

If Cael kicked him off the team -- which has hardly been established as anything more than spitballing -- he still could've returned to PSU as a student.

The only way this makes any sense at all is if his grades were so bad after the summer classes that he couldn't return -- but then he could go to Rutgers and be immediately eligible?
Good point.

Are you sure that you want to hear them? Usually programs try to keep their dirty laundry inhouse. You can be assured that the B1G did not grant a waiver exception because Suriano was homesick. Micic got his waiver because the coach was fired for misconduct. Suriano got his waiver because the coach....(you fill in the blanks).
Don't be a coward. Say what you are thinking.

Otherwise, what Willie said.

Reactions: Sullivan

Jammies, you are funny.

Straight bull shit. Should have to sit
Cael should go after a big ten starter right now and bring them in. And go see. This is why you have to lose a year

At work.. yes on labor day... so no time to read everything.. Is it confirmed he is immediately eligible or is that just the latest "word on the street"?

The following is complete speculation I have no insight knowledge or access to medical information I've been in chief physical therapist with the Division I university and sometimes scenarios are played out such as:

Athlete claim something is "broken "or wrong such as Suriano did: coach, trainer, or medical doctor initially find No fracture calls it a sprain and obviously suggest conservative care with return the support in both the athlete and the coaches interest. From the original mechanism of injury it look like a clear eversion/syndesmotic pattern of injury which can be very difficult to treat and sometimes even warrant surgery.

Suriano continues conservative care ( non surg) suggested by team medical staff and coaching staff as he might've felt pressured to return to the Mat for upcoming season.(this pressuring could have been easily played up during a waiver process by the family)

He begins to Train again reinjures or reaggravated his injury goes to a second Doctor Who ( outside of team)concludes he was initially mismanaged etc. etc. etc.The team goes on to win without him he feels butt hurt and family is pissed things blowup.

Again if it's medical this does happen frequently within sports and outside sports arenasbut I have absolutely no information other than the entertainment of this excellent thread about this Suriano

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Are you saying Cael was guilty of misconduct?

The following is complete speculation I have no insight knowledge or access to medical information I've been in chief physical therapist with the Division I university and sometimes scenarios are played out such as:

Athlete claim something is "broken "or wrong such as Suriano did: coach, trainer, or medical doctor initially find No fracture calls it a sprain and obviously suggest conservative care with return the support in both the athlete and the coaches interest. From the original mechanism of injury it look like a clear eversion/syndesmotic pattern of injury which can be very difficult to treat and sometimes even warrant surgery.

Suriano continues conservative care ( non surg) suggested by team medical staff and coaching staff as he might've felt pressured to return to the Mat for upcoming season.(this pressuring could have been easily played up during a waiver process by the family)

He begins to Train again reinjures or reaggravated his injury goes to a second Doctor Who ( outside of team)concludes he was initially mismanaged etc. etc. etc.The team goes on to win without him he feels butt hurt and family is pissed things blowup.

Again if it's medical this does happen frequently within sports and outside sports arenasbut I have absolutely no information other than the entertainment of this excellent thread about this Suriano

I'm not the grammar police, but I believe there are a few periods our commas missing from your comments. ;)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT