ADVERTISEMENT

It will be interestig to see how PSU & ND bball end up next season

RickinDayton

May 29, 2001
Shrewsberry took Njie, Imes, Shrewsberry junior and Carey Booth along for the ride to ND. CoachRhodes brings in 2 of his VCU players, keeps Cleary, Brown and Lilley and brings in some credible transfers.
Personally, I like Rhoades style better. Pretty much a complete overhaul for both teams.

Rick, which conference do you believe is the stronger in MBB, ACC or BigTen?

seems to me like Shrewsberry took his PSU recruits to ND, while Rhoades is bringing better transfers than the ones Shrewsberry was getting. that is how it appears

not convinced nd got the better deal here

Reactions: Online Persona
seems to me like Shrewsberry took his PSU recruits to ND, while Rhoades is bringing better transfers than the ones Shrewsberry was getting. that is how it appears

not convinced nd got the better deal here
Possibly, though losing Booth is hard to replace.

Call me a hose’s ass, but I thought Njie was Charmin soft, freshmen or not. Time will tell…
Well, early on in the season his play was hesitant. During th BIG tourney and NCAA he showed more toughness and confidence. I think his major drawbacks right now are his hands, he seems to have trouble holding onto the ball when passes come @ him and his lack of offensive moves in the block.

Reactions: indynittany
Truthfully, both are going to have overhauled rosters. Whoever ends up with the best player aka a Pickett-type who can carry his team will probably have the better season.

Reactions: NedFromYork
I personally don't get the Booth decision. You have a coach that showed no loyalty to dad's alma mater (left to go home essentially to a program where he had to start over). So why would the son have loyalty to that coach instead of dad's alma mater who hired possibly a better coach?

Well, early on in the season his play was hesitant. During th BIG tourney and NCAA he showed more toughness and confidence. I think his major drawbacks right now are his hands, he seems to have trouble holding onto the ball when passes come @ him and his lack of offensive moves in the block.
I think the fact that shrews thought guarding Dylan Disu from TX with Miles instead of Njie speaks volumes about where Njie ended last season.

Reactions: RickinDayton
I personally don't get the Booth decision. You have a coach that showed no loyalty to dad's alma mater (left to go home essentially to a program where he had to start over). So why would the son have loyalty to that coach instead of dad's alma mater who hired possibly a better coach?
Shrews plays an NBA friendly offense. Rhoads doesn't or hasn't. If I was Corey I'd go with shrews too. It'd be way to easy for rhoads to put him at C instead of stretch 4. Cal knows all about Shrews and Alma mater had zero weight.

Is there actually a C in the NBA anymore? Could you imagine Russell, Kareem or Shaq hovering outside waiting to launch a 3? Lol.

I think the fact that shrews thought guarding Dylan Disu from TX with Miles instead of Njie speaks volumes about where Njie ended last season.
personally i didn't understand what the hell he was doing. if he wasn't really going to use Njie down the stretch then he didn't need to worry about Njie collecting fouls. instead we got Disu basically not being guarded all game

Shrews plays an NBA friendly offense. Rhoads doesn't or hasn't. If I was Corey I'd go with shrews too. It'd be way to easy for rhoads to put him at C instead of stretch 4. Cal knows all about Shrews and Alma mater had zero weight.
i am not sure what you are talking about. VCU has had players selected in each of the past two drafts. PSU might get one this year and he was recruited by Chambers

the booth decision was too bad but we also get back the scholarship he was holding for his own kid. may or may not have been suitable

personally i didn't understand what the hell he was doing. if he wasn't really going to use Njie down the stretch then he didn't need to worry about Njie collecting fouls. instead we got Disu basically not being guarded all game
Yea it was an odd strategy. Could have at least attempted to do some offense/defense substitutions if you liked dread on offense.

We will see Rhoades is a long term program builder. I think he will be fine. College basketball is completely different now. The ability to coach matters more now. They’re are so few difference makers that’s why nc duke and Kentucky are struggling you have to actually coach

The big would be delighted with them but as a normal member. They are going to actually swallow hard and admit they’re just like everyone else. That’s going to be hard and may destroy them

My two cents - Notre Dame will have a better record this year but Penn State will make steady progress and be able to be equal or superior by Rhoades second year. Does Notre Dame fully participate in the NIL game? Penn State's track record in NIL isn't strong but with our new AD I believe we are now in the game. A huge factor will be 2024 recruiting as Rhoades is basically starting from nothing and late to the game. Next year will probably also be a big portal year until incoming freshman recruits fill in the roster.

Reactions: Online Persona
My two cents - Notre Dame will have a better record this year but Penn State will make steady progress and be able to be equal or superior by Rhoades second year. Does Notre Dame fully participate in the NIL game? Penn State's track record in NIL isn't strong but with our new AD I believe we are now in the game. A huge factor will be 2024 recruiting as Rhoades is basically starting from nothing and late to the game. Next year will probably also be a big portal year until incoming freshman recruits fill in the roster.
Supposedly Notre Dame is as bad or worse as PSU when it comes to NIL. They don’t seem to be having any big success in the portal bringing in anyone Shrews didn’t already coach/recruit unlike PSU

Reactions: bigbopper1985
Supposedly Notre Dame is as bad or worse as PSU when it comes to NIL. They don’t seem to be having any big success in the portal bringing in anyone Shrews didn’t already coach/recruit unlike PSU
That is how I understood it as well. The powers that be at Notre Dame think that athletes should come to school without the enticements of NIL. I think they will learn their lack of success in Football and Basketball in the NIL era will either lead to lowered expectations (which I doubt) or joining the rest of the schools with NIL.

That is how I understood it as well. The powers that be at Notre Dame think that athletes should come to school without the enticements of NIL. I think they will learn their lack of success in Football and Basketball in the NIL era will either lead to lowered expectations (which I doubt) or joining the rest of the schools with NIL.
I don't care if they do NIL or not as long as they are forced to join a conference. And to that end, I don't think any major conference should schedule games with them until they do.

Supposedly, a Pittsburgh area guy was instrumental in getting Shrews to ND with NIL $.

Are we really going to compare ourselves to ND Basketball? I understand Shrewsberry went there and people want him to regret that but it's definitely easier to win there.

Reactions: OzLion
Are we really going to compare ourselves to ND Basketball? I understand Shrewsberry went there and people want him to regret that but it's definitely easier to win there.
May be true, but ND basically got Penn State's basketball team. Hard to imagine an ND fan is super excited about that. It is easy to acknowledge that they are a better program historically, but, that just makes it all the more puzzling. it was not exactly a homerun hire for them. I would argue that Rhoades is easily a better hire and somehow we came out better in this one

I think it's a lot more difficult to use the transfer portal there. Some of the reasons Shrews gave for leaving were obvious BS (like implying that PSU was all about football, in the same breath as explaining why he is going to Notre Dame). He went there because he did not care about being at PSU. I'm sure he believes that he is going to restore a dominant program there.

May be true, but ND basically got Penn State's basketball team. Hard to imagine an ND fan is super excited about that. It is easy to acknowledge that they are a better program historically, but, that just makes it all the more puzzling. it was not exactly a homerun hire for them. I would argue that Rhoades is easily a better hire and somehow we came out better in this one
I'm happy with Rhodes (very happy) but I think you're undervaluing Shrew

I'm happy with Rhodes (very happy) but I think you're undervaluing Shrew
I get where you are coming from but I just don't see what there is to put all this value on Shrews. He has had two seasons as a D1 head coach, and the best one was 10th place in the B1G and sneaking into the NCAA tournament picture at the last possible moment. I think we are all undervaluing his agent.

Reactions: The Shelter
I get where you are coming from but I just don't see what there is to put all this value on Shrews. He has had two seasons as a D1 head coach, and the best one was 10th place in the B1G and sneaking into the NCAA tournament picture at the last possible moment. I think we are all undervaluing his agent.
Probably undervaluing both of them.

I think you're completely undervaluing his abilities as a coach (recruiter, talent developer, x's and o's, etc). He was here for two seasons and in that time he won a game in the NCAA tournament, made the B1G Championship game, put together two of the best recruiting classes in school history, etc.

I was extremely impressed with this ability to take our roster and play to our strengths. We inverted the offense a lot in 21-22 to let John have the ball at the high post and make decisions. 22-23, it was about inverting things in a different way to spread the floor and letting Pickett create from the post. We became a top 35-40ish team in the country while having very little at the 5, but hid that deficiency well. He transformed a few player's games (Pickett, Funk) and really put us in a position to succeed.

Not to mention that he took over a roster that was in disarray, held it mostly together, stabilized things in 21-22, had a really good season in 22-23, and was stacking recruiting classes together to keep it going.

Reactions: NedFromYork
Except that ND will not have the 2 PSU players who are in the NBA draft. Other than that I agree. I am most disappointed with losing the recruiting class and particularly Booth who for some reason has remained loyal to the man who stiffed his dad's alma mater when they were trying to give him everything he asked for.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT