ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa

i loved watching iowa lose to missouri today.however,though it pains me to say it,this is the first time i've seen evans wrestle that i wasn't ashamed to know he is a pa. kid.

Evans is the Message Board gift that keeps on giving...

Just when you think the topic of him being a $#!%$!! is getting old...THERE he goes AGAIN being a $#!@$#!.

Don't hate Iowa at all. Respect them a lot...but Evans, it's easy to despise someone whose behavior is so consistently low class and dirty.

Originally posted by morningwood80:
Jealous that we've won 4 in a row or jealous that brown beats Evans more often then not?
When you have won 23 National Titles you can shoot off your pie hole!!

If you don't like what he says, feel free to go back to your own board and bitch that the reason you lost was that Missouri was stalling. I know you're a bit dense but you're the visitor here.

Originally posted by jammenz:
Iowa wresrling fans are not wrestling fans, they're Iowa fans.
yea yea jammenz, and PSU fans are not wrestling fans, they are Cael fans. We gotcha.

Got me there. But I was thinking more along these decades:

1975, 1976, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2008, 2009, 2010

People of Iowa are and have been the undisputed fans of "wrestling" Passionate and crazy....yes. But to doubt our love of this sport, get a life. Just have to look at all wrestling divisions to see our support. Heck, just about any Tue or Thurs nights high school dual in IA will have more spectators then most big ten duals. Fyi, for many years Hawks and Clones were #1&2 in attendances figures.

This post was edited on 2/24 12:49 AM by Jaybird319

Originally posted by Jaybird319:
Got me there. But I was thinking more along these decades:

1975, 1976, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2008, 2009, 2010

People of Iowa are and have been the undisputed fans of "wrestling" Passionate and crazy....yes. But to doubt our love of this sport, get a life. Just have to look at all wrestling divisions to see our support. Heck, just about any Tue or Thurs nights high school dual in IA will have more spectators then most big ten duals. Fyi, for many years Hawks and Clones were #1&2 in attendances figures.

This post was edited on 2/24 12:49 AM by Jaybird319
Although the fact Iowa fans are passionate is indisputable, the notion that they are the premier fans of wrestling in the country - especially in regards to HS wrestling - is a bit myopic. You obviously have not been to many HS duals in PA. WPIAL, D11, the better schools of D3 & D1 - the stands are packed. One look at the online coverage of HS wrestling in PA and you will see it is unequaled (I wish D7 would get a little better in this regards).

In addition, I would bet the total NCAA attendance in the state of PA exceeds that of Iowa - of course we have more population and more collegiate wrestling programs.

Iowa fans have dominated the NCAA tournament for years, and have earned their reputation as passionate fans largely because of that. However, for years the tournament has been mostly held in the midwest. When the tournament was held in Philly, large amounts of PSU & Lehigh fans were evident (and this was BEFORE PSU had won their 2nd championship - first since the 50s). When the tournament comes to NYC next year & Cleveland in 2018 (I think?) PA will be richly represented.

Iowa fans often dismiss PA fans as "johnny come latelies" to wrestling, but this is just simply not true. Both states have rich traditions of wrestling and fandom at both the HS and Collegiate level.

Put Gable in Midwest Nowhere College and midwest Nowhere college would have become what is/was Iowa wrestling.

It is what it is, but jesus does every loss Iowa or bad match now really have to bring this sh!t up. I mean score the touchdown and hand the ball back to the ref and move on.

Some of you guys really have a false sense of reality, but hey its an anonymous message board, anybody can be anybody else they wish to be.

Re: It is what it is

No, it isn't! I am requesting an official ban on this overused meaninglyless piece of fluff. The phrase, not you dunkej01.

Originally posted by WildTurk:
Oh you guys are funny! Jealousy and hate go hand in hand
Jealousy? What would the current fans of the 4x defending NCAA champions be jealous of exactly? Look, nobody is disputing the history of the sport as far as college wrestling goes. Iowa is king. We all know that. However, college wrestling has been dominated by PSU over the past four years and PSU will continue to be a real contender for what appears to be the foreseeable future.

There's no jealousy here. You're mistaken.

Originally posted by DirkTang:
Sour grapes. You didn't even compete today in the duals. I'm not defending Evans in anyway, but the guy is a gamer. You guys just love to criticize the slightest thing he does. You guys remind me of the pansies who bitch about the bean dip at an orgy. Get over it. There was some great wrestling today. Just appreciate it, and for the love of God, stop reminding us about next year. You don't think everyone in the country already knows it already?
I'm sure PSU fans will stop talking about next year as soon as Iowa fans stop talking about the past. Believe me, we know Iowa is the undisputed king of college wrestling when it comes to the history of the sport.

Iowa is the undisputed king of college wrestling...history

Sure that you didn't mean Okie State?

Originally posted by jrd23psu:
Originally posted by WildTurk:
Oh you guys are funny! Jealousy and hate go hand in hand
Jealousy? What would the current fans of the 4x defending NCAA champions be jealous of exactly? Look, nobody is disputing the history of the sport as far as college wrestling goes. Iowa is king. We all know that. However, college wrestling has been dominated by PSU over the past four years and PSU will continue to be a real contender for what appears to be the foreseeable future.

There's no jealousy here. You're mistaken.
I am not quite sure your morsel of reality is fully digested by all of the Oklahoma State fans....
nerd.r191677.gif

Can't argue with those numbers and I'm not going to try!

Yea Evans can be a bad boy and the Brands brothers can get a little out of control, but that's what keeps it interesting. I appreciate the differing personalities of the BIGs wrestling coaches. The Brands, Cael, JRob, they all bring something different to the table. They all have a passion for developing high school wrestlers into National Champions and winning Team National Championships. I wouldn't want to change anything and I'd even be happy if Smith was coaching in the BIG.

Illinois, Ohio, and maybe Michigan have better high school wrestling than Iowa. Pa., NJ, and NY squelch the Hawkeye state. Let Iowa just have home staters on their team and they won't win sh*t. We don't recruit Iowa, but they have to go everywhere. No need to give me grief about the truth, just check the numbers. Cali is also better.

The fact that PSU is now in the equation is flattering. Ten years ago we didn't have to worry about the trolling, simply because we were not relevant. The Iowa/PSU instant rivalry is great for the sport. The Brands Personality Vs. The Sanderson Personality is also good for the sport. We as fans will always have differences, good fans will respect good wrestling but we will always root for our team. As a fan of any sport it is always fun to have a team to hate, for Iowa it is PSU right now and for PSU it is Iowa. So what!! The great part about it all is that there are many, many people excited about the sport. I hope the rivalry continues for decades and that we can bitch and moan about each others antics for a long , long time.

Originally posted by niteowlgt:
Illinois, Ohio, and maybe Michigan have better high school wrestling than Iowa. Pa., NJ, and NY squelch the Hawkeye state. Let Iowa just have home staters on their team and they won't win sh*t. We don't recruit Iowa, but they have to go everywhere. No need to give me grief about the truth, just check the numbers. Cali is also better.
Well I "checked out the numbers" and here's a breakdown of the home states of Iowa's NCAA champions and AAs. Although Iowa is now starting to recruit PA, OH, and CA, they have not in the past depended too much on the east coast, Ohio, and California.

Also I copy and pasted the wrestlingstats.com figures listing the home states of all NCAA D-1 champs and AAs from 1961 to 2011. Iowa only trails PA - IL, OH, MI, and CA aren't that close.

Maybe thing have changed, but who knowns. Iowa, Iowa State, UNI, Minnesota, and Missouri recruit Iowa heavily so I think Iowa's numbers will continue to be high.

In general your post is incorrect - Iowa high school wrestling is holding its own.
Iowa (27): Royce Alger,
Leslie Beers, Jay Borschel, Terry Brands, Tom Brands, Pete Bush, Jim Craig,
Barry Davis, Kevin Dresser, Lee Fullhart, Dick Govig, Mark Ironside, Eric
Juergens, Bruce Kinseth, Gary Kurdelmeir, Matt McDonough, Jeff McGinness, Cliff
Moore, Mark Reiland, Simon Roberts, Derek St. John, Doug Schwab, Sherwyn
Thorson, Daryl Weber, Jesse Whitmer, Chuck Yagla, and Jim Zalesky.
Illinois (7): Dan
Holm, Terry McCann, Dan Sherman, Brad Smith, Joe Williams, T.J. Williams, and
Tony Ramos
New York (3): Ed
Banach, Lou Banach, and Brad Penrith.
South Dakota (2): Randy
Lewis and Lincoln McIlravy North Dakota (2):[/B]

Terry Steiner and Troy Steiner Minnesota (2): Ken

Leuer and Joel Sharratt
New Jersey (2):
Chris Campbell and Steve Mocco
California (1):
Marty Kistler Colorado (1):[/B]

Duane Goldman
Maryland (1): Rico
Chiapparelli
Michigan (1):
Brent Metcalf
Montana (1): Bill
Zadick
Nebraska (1): Joe
Scarpello
Ohio (1): Jim
Heffernan
Oklahoma (1): Mark
Perry

Iowa NCAA AAs
Iowa (81): Royce Alger, Doug Anderson,
Morris Barnhill, Leslie Beers, Doug Benschoter, Jay Borschel, John Bowlsby,
Paul Bradley, Terry Brands, Tom Brands, Pete Bush, Joe Carstensen, Bart
Chelesvig, Cory Clark, Jim Craig, Barry Davis, Kevin Dresser, Matt Egeland,
Chalie Falck, Matt Fields, Travis Fiser, Lee Fullhart, Ryan Fulsaas, Grant
Gambrall, Vince Garcia, Dan Glenn, Dick Govig, Byron Guernsey, Wes Hand, Jamie
Heidt, Phil Henning, Tom Huff, Mark Ironside, Harlan Jenkinson, Eric Juergens, Loy
Julius, Jeff Kerber, Earl Kielhorn, Bruce Kinseth, Gary Kurdelmeir, Rometo
Macias, Montell Marion, Matt McDonough, Jeff McGinness, Mike McGivern, Rich
Mihal, Albert Montgomery, Cliff Moore, Ryan Morningstar, Keith Mourlam, Matt
Nerem, Tyler Nixt, John Oostendorp, Dean Phinney, Greg Randall, Mark Reiland,
Ralph Rieks, Tom Riley, Simon Roberts, Doug Schwab, Bill Sherman, Streeter
Shining, Ben Shirk, Brooks Simpson, Mark Sindlinger, Joey Slaton, Jessman
Smith, Derek St. John, Mark Stevenson, Doug Streicher, Verlyn Strellner,
Sherwyn Thorson, Gordon Trapp, Mike Uker, Daryl Weber, Jesse Whitmer, Chuck
Yagla, Jim Zelesky, Lenny Zalesky, Paul Zander, and Chad Zaputil Illinois (16):[/B] Steve Combs, Tim

Cysewski, Daniel Dennis, Dan Holm, Fran McCann, Terry McCann, Mike Mena, King
Mueller, Tony Ramos, Dan Sherman, Brad Smith, Mark Trizzino, Scott Trizzino,
Dan Wagemann, Joe Williams, and T.J. Williams,
Minnesota (5):
Mike Edwards, Luke Eustice, Ty Eustice, Ken Leuer, and Joel Sharratt
New York (5): Ed
Banach, Lou Banach, Brad Penrith, Tom Ryan, and Greg Stevens
South Dakota (3):
Randy Lewis, Lincoln McIlravy, and Jan Sanderon
North Dakota (3):
Kasey Gilliss, Terry Steiner, and Troy Steiner
Ohio (3): Mike
DeAnna, Jim Heffernan, and John Heffernan
Utah (3): Phillip
Keddy, Ethan Lofthouse, and Luke Lofthouse
California (3):
Harlan Kistler, Lindley Kistler, Marty Kistler
Pennsylvania (3):
Ray Brinzer, Mike Evans, and Jody Strittmatter
New Jersey (3):
Chris Campbell, Joe Melchiore, and Steve Mocco
Kansas (2): Joe
Johnston and Eric Luedke
Indiana (2): Bud
Palmer and Alex Tsirtsis
Colorado (2):
Duane Goldman and Nathan Burak
Montana (2):
Bill Zadick and Mike Zadick
Michigan (1):
Brent Metcalf
Perry
Virginia (1): Steve Martin
Chiapparelli
Delaware (1):
Bobby Telford
Idaho (1): Dan
Erekson
Alaska (1): Gabe
McMahan

From Wrestlingstats.com.

High School States for NCAA Champions 1961-2011
State Individuals Titles
Pennsylvania 55 73
Iowa 45 68
Oklahoma 34 50
Ohio 28 37
Illinois 26 30
New Jersey 25 39
California 25 36
New York 24 31
Oregon 15 21
Michigan 14 24
Wisconsin 12 17
Minnesota 9 11
Virginia 8 10

High School States for Division-I All Americans 1961-2011
State Individuals AAs
Pennsylvania 295 504
Iowa 186 350
Ohio 177 313
California 152 240
Illinois 137 242
Oklahoma 134 271
New York 133 211
New Jersey 123 213
Michigan 103 182
Minnesota 78 128
Oregon 73 125
Wisconsin 49 82
Colorado 49 75

This post was edited on 3/1 1:30 PM by pablow

Minor correction to a statement above: "We don't recruit Iowa, but they have to go everywhere."

We don't focus on Iowa. We go where the talent is, so we did recruit there this year -- Cael went after Stroker.

Overall point still correct, PA is the dominant state for HS talent. Add our border states (NY, NJ, DE, MD, WV, OH), and it's easily the dominant region.

Stroker went to school on the west shore of Harrisburg when he was younger.

Stroker moved to Iowa before 9th grade. He's been in Iowa only one year less than Cael has been in PA.

Just for reference sake. Estimated populations of the state's that "squelch" The Hawkeye State. I'm not arguing one bit that Pennsylvania is tops in high school talent. And most educated fans of college wrestling wouldn't either. But don't compare it like it's an equal per capita arguement. That's just silly

IOWA - 3.0 million people

Illinois -13 Mil
NEW Jersey - 9
Ohio- 11.5
Penn- 13
New York- 20
CALI- 39

I think the "little guys" hold their own considering..

Originally posted by pablow:

Originally posted by niteowlgt:
Well I "checked out the numbers" and here's a breakdown of the home states of Iowa's NCAA champions and AAs. Although Iowa is now starting to recruit PA, OH, and CA, they have not in the past depended too much on the east coast, Ohio, and California.

Also I copy and pasted the wrestlingstats.com figures listing the home states of all NCAA D-1 champs and AAs from 1961 to 2011. Iowa only trails PA - IL, OH, MI, and CA aren't that close.

Maybe thing have changed, but who knowns. Iowa, Iowa State, UNI, Minnesota, and Missouri recruit Iowa heavily so I think Iowa's numbers will continue to be high.

In general your post is incorrect - Iowa high school wrestling is holding its own.
Iowa (27): Royce Alger,
Leslie Beers, Jay Borschel, Terry Brands, Tom Brands, Pete Bush, Jim Craig,
Barry Davis, Kevin Dresser, Lee Fullhart, Dick Govig, Mark Ironside, Eric
Juergens, Bruce Kinseth, Gary Kurdelmeir, Matt McDonough, Jeff McGinness, Cliff
Moore, Mark Reiland, Simon Roberts, Derek St. John, Doug Schwab, Sherwyn
Thorson, Daryl Weber, Jesse Whitmer, Chuck Yagla, and Jim Zalesky.
Illinois (7): Dan
Holm, Terry McCann, Dan Sherman, Brad Smith, Joe Williams, T.J. Williams, and
Tony Ramos
New York (3): Ed
Banach, Lou Banach, and Brad Penrith.
South Dakota (2): Randy
Lewis and Lincoln McIlravy North Dakota (2):[/B]

Terry Steiner and Troy Steiner Minnesota (2): Ken

Leuer and Joel Sharratt
New Jersey (2):
Chris Campbell and Steve Mocco
California (1):
Marty Kistler Colorado (1):[/B]

Duane Goldman
Chiapparelli
Michigan (1):
Brent Metcalf
Montana (1): Bill
Zadick
Nebraska (1): Joe
Scarpello
Ohio (1): Jim
Heffernan
Perry

Iowa NCAA AAs
Iowa (81): Royce Alger, Doug Anderson,
Morris Barnhill, Leslie Beers, Doug Benschoter, Jay Borschel, John Bowlsby,
Paul Bradley, Terry Brands, Tom Brands, Pete Bush, Joe Carstensen, Bart
Chelesvig, Cory Clark, Jim Craig, Barry Davis, Kevin Dresser, Matt Egeland,
Chalie Falck, Matt Fields, Travis Fiser, Lee Fullhart, Ryan Fulsaas, Grant
Gambrall, Vince Garcia, Dan Glenn, Dick Govig, Byron Guernsey, Wes Hand, Jamie
Heidt, Phil Henning, Tom Huff, Mark Ironside, Harlan Jenkinson, Eric Juergens, Loy
Julius, Jeff Kerber, Earl Kielhorn, Bruce Kinseth, Gary Kurdelmeir, Rometo
Macias, Montell Marion, Matt McDonough, Jeff McGinness, Mike McGivern, Rich
Mihal, Albert Montgomery, Cliff Moore, Ryan Morningstar, Keith Mourlam, Matt
Nerem, Tyler Nixt, John Oostendorp, Dean Phinney, Greg Randall, Mark Reiland,
Ralph Rieks, Tom Riley, Simon Roberts, Doug Schwab, Bill Sherman, Streeter
Shining, Ben Shirk, Brooks Simpson, Mark Sindlinger, Joey Slaton, Jessman
Smith, Derek St. John, Mark Stevenson, Doug Streicher, Verlyn Strellner,
Sherwyn Thorson, Gordon Trapp, Mike Uker, Daryl Weber, Jesse Whitmer, Chuck
Yagla, Jim Zelesky, Lenny Zalesky, Paul Zander, and Chad Zaputil Illinois (16):[/B] Steve Combs, Tim

Cysewski, Daniel Dennis, Dan Holm, Fran McCann, Terry McCann, Mike Mena, King
Mueller, Tony Ramos, Dan Sherman, Brad Smith, Mark Trizzino, Scott Trizzino,
Dan Wagemann, Joe Williams, and T.J. Williams,
Minnesota (5):
Mike Edwards, Luke Eustice, Ty Eustice, Ken Leuer, and Joel Sharratt
New York (5): Ed
Banach, Lou Banach, Brad Penrith, Tom Ryan, and Greg Stevens
South Dakota (3):
Randy Lewis, Lincoln McIlravy, and Jan Sanderon
North Dakota (3):
Kasey Gilliss, Terry Steiner, and Troy Steiner
Ohio (3): Mike
DeAnna, Jim Heffernan, and John Heffernan
Utah (3): Phillip
Keddy, Ethan Lofthouse, and Luke Lofthouse
California (3):
Harlan Kistler, Lindley Kistler, Marty Kistler
Pennsylvania (3):
Ray Brinzer, Mike Evans, and Jody Strittmatter
New Jersey (3):
Chris Campbell, Joe Melchiore, and Steve Mocco
Kansas (2): Joe
Johnston and Eric Luedke
Indiana (2): Bud
Palmer and Alex Tsirtsis
Colorado (2):
Duane Goldman and Nathan Burak
Montana (2):
Bill Zadick and Mike Zadick
Michigan (1):
Brent Metcalf
Perry
Virginia (1): Steve Martin
Chiapparelli
Delaware (1):
Bobby Telford
Idaho (1): Dan
Erekson
Alaska (1): Gabe
McMahan

From Wrestlingstats.com.
High School States for NCAA Champions 1961-2011
State Individuals Titles
Pennsylvania 55 73
Iowa 45 68
Oklahoma 34 50
Ohio 28 37
Illinois 26 30
New Jersey 25 39
California 25 36
New York 24 31
Oregon 15 21
Michigan 14 24
Wisconsin 12 17
Minnesota 9 11
Virginia 8 10

High School States for Division-I All Americans 1961-2011
State Individuals AAs
Pennsylvania 295 504
Iowa 186 350
Ohio 177 313
California 152 240
Illinois 137 242
Oklahoma 134 271
New York 133 211
New Jersey 123 213
Michigan 103 182
Minnesota 78 128
Oregon 73 125
Wisconsin 49 82
Colorado 49 75

This post was edited on 3/1 1:30 PM by pablow
+1

Iowa is an excellent wrestling state, no doubt about it. With 24% of PA's population, they have 69% of PA's High School Wrestlers. That's 287% of PA's rate of participation.

While my data goes back further, here's the last 4 years of normalized data (normalized for population and HS participation).

2011 Iowa 1.96 AA's per million population .89 AA's per thousand HS wrestlers
2011 PA .78 AA's per million population, 1.01 AA's per thousand HS wrestlers

2012 Iowa 1.31 AA's per million population .59 AA's per thousand HS wrestlers
2012 PA 1.10 AA's per million population, 1.41 AA's per thousand HS wrestlers

2013 Iowa .98 AA's per million population .42 AA's per thousand HS wrestlers
2013 PA 1.02 AA's per million population, 1.31 AA's per thousand HS wrestlers

2014 Iowa 1.96 AA's per million population .89 AA's per thousand HS wrestlers
2014 PA 1.33 AA's per million population, 1.74 AA's per thousand HS wrestlers

Normalizing the data for the size of the state, and Iowa has a higher "rate of All-American wrestlers" 3 of the past 4 years. And the two large states closest to PA and Iowa, but not really part of the discussion, are Ohio and Minnesota.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT