ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa vs Minnesota on BTN Tonight (1/22)

Taking nothing away from Lee, who is legitimately an all-time great:

"Top 10 wrestler" is virtually meaningless at 125. Atrocious weight, and would be even with Suriano and Glory.

McKee went 0-2 at B10s last year. Hard to imagine a guy who went 0-2 at his conference tourney being top 10 at any other weight.
"Atrocious weight" meaning similar to what Zain had at 149 through his career? Spencer wrestles whoever steps across the mat from him. Not his call on who it is. Just like Zain

Reactions: PSUbluTX
"Atrocious weight" meaning similar to what Zain had at 149 through his career? Spencer wrestles whoever steps across the mat from him. Not his call on who it is. Just like Zain
Zain never had a Covid year where entire conferences took a powder. I’d love to see Vito in the mix too as he’s not been mentioned and could definitely provide a challenge.

He’s probably going to pin tech everyone in this execrable weight and they’ll compare it to Cael, but the competition is apples and oranges.
It does help our boy Robbie Howard out, though.

Next year is going to be extra fun with everyone back - anyone who wins should probably get a + next to their name

Reactions: danoftw

"Top 10 wrestler" is virtually meaningless at 125. Atrocious weight, and would be even with Suriano and Glory.

McKee went 0-2 at B10s last year. Hard to imagine a guy who went 0-2 at his conference tourney being top 10 at any other weight.
While I don’t disagree that the weight is poor this year, McKee had missed the last third or so of the season with injury last year, and tried to come back for big tens where he ended up injury defaulting out. Not the best measuring stick for his potential.

Reactions: moug and hlstone
That was as aggressive an Iowa squad from top to bottom as I've seen in a long time. No 2-1 snoozefests. And they are every bit as good as advertised. I sure hope Nationals take place with both teams healthy.

Reactions: yekrut321
Gotta agree, them boys are looking damn good.
That was as aggressive an Iowa squad from top to bottom as I've seen in a long time. No 2-1 snoozefests. And they are every bit as good as advertised. I sure hope Nationals take place with both teams healthy.

Yeah, having half their lineup made up of PA boys has worked pretty well. ;)

Zain never had a Covid year where entire conferences took a powder. I’d love to see Vito in the mix too as he’s not been mentioned and could definitely provide a challenge.

He’s probably going to pin tech everyone in this execrable weight and they’ll compare it to Cael, but the competition is apples and oranges.
It does help our boy Robbie Howard out, though.

Next year is going to be extra fun with everyone back - anyone who wins should probably get a + next to their name
How good is a guy that chased guys up a weight so they could get teched or pinned by Nolf? They knew they’d get hammered, but at least they weren’t going to get folded in half backwards 3,4,5 times.

Defensive much?

Jeez, even stipulated up front that Lee is an all-timer and the post wasn't about him, and that's not good enough?
I was just asking.. Its a message board about college wrestling!

Which part of "Taking nothing away from Lee, who is legitimately an all-time great:" didn't you like or understand?

Reactions: hlstone and Grass
How good is a guy that chased guys up a weight so they could get teched or pinned by Nolf? They knew they’d get hammered, but at least they weren’t going to get folded in half backwards 3,4,5 times.
Zain just absolutely physically pulverized people, can understand why they moved up to face Nolf. Most probably thinking they still would probably lose, but at least it would not physically hurt. Then Micah got Nolf at NCAA's, even with one leg, that was brutal.

tumblr_o4m0h00usI1qzx6lmo1_1280.jpg

Zain just absolutely physically pulverized people, can understand why they moved up to face Nolf. Most probably thinking they still would probably lose, but at least it would not physically hurt. Then Micah got Nolf at NCAA's, even with one leg, that was brutal.
Poor Micah Jordan, NCAA Finalist talent whose best option was sheer humiliation by a one-legged man.

Reactions: royboy and danoftw
This is the Hawkeyes year if it doesn't get washed out. Of course, there will be an asterisk beside their name.

SAY WHAT???? Have you seen our line-up??? This is a FREE YEAR!!! No more redshirting the arsenal that Cael has stockpiled these past few years!! We will stomp the Hawkeyes this year!!! We can finally generate points at 125 and we have a killer at HWT and then you throw a healthy Berge at 147 and Starocci at 174 that is a killa line-up! No way Iowa can stay with that line-up. Mark my words!!

Is there someone who can give Spencer Lee a match?

He's just dominating so far this season.

Yes there is Robbie "Frodo Baggins" Howard! He has a special gold ring that allows him to disappear during a match and then magically reappear in a superior position. Lee won't know what hit him!!! The only drawback is that Robbie ocassionally shouts out "GolluMMMM!" and "My PreciouSSSS". I hope he doesn't get points deducted for spontaneous outbursts. He really can't help himself!!

howard.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: funnyfletcher

His ranking was based off a recent win over Foley of MSU. He had a badly torn up knee at the conference tournament last year and was just giving it a go.

Yeah, having half their lineup made up of PA boys has worked pretty well. ;)
I think sometimes you forget where some of your recent studs come from? Nickal, Cassar, Hall, Taylor, and from this year's roster RBY, Berge, Brooks, the Lee's, Bartlett, Nevils, Kerk, etc. - correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe they are from Pennsylvania. I'm not here to claim Iowa high school wrestling is any way near the quantity and quality of Pennsylvania, but don't sit back and say Penn State doesn't recruit outside their home state or criticize Iowa for doing so.

I think sometimes you forget where some of your recent studs come from? Nickal, Cassar, Hall, Taylor, and from this year's roster RBY, Berge, Brooks, the Lee's, Bartlett, Nevils, Kerk, etc. - correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe they are from Pennsylvania. I'm not here to claim Iowa high school wrestling is any way near the quantity and quality of Pennsylvania, but don't sit back and say Penn State doesn't recruit outside their home state or criticize Iowa for doing so.
Why so defensive?

Where did I say "Penn State doesn't recruit outside their home state.."?

Yeah, I think you're misreading folks who like to point out that half the hawkeye starters are PA kids. It comes from regional pride, mostly.

I don't believe I was defensive - I think I was pretty objective and to the point.

Actually you missed the point; no one was criticizing (your description that implied defensiveness) Iowa for recruiting PA. It was merely a fact based observation that half of your starting team is from PA and for the most part they are doing exceptionally well.

Reactions: royboy
Actually you missed the point; no one was criticizing (your description that implied defensiveness) Iowa for recruiting PA. It was merely a fact based observation that half of your starting team is from PA and for the most part they are doing exceptionally well.
My point was very simple - it is routinely brought up here that many of Iowa's top wrestlers are from PA. No question. My basic point is that many of Penn State's top wrestlers are from out of state as well. Do I get brownie points for stating how superior PA is to Iowa in high school wrestling? Or was that taken as simply factual? Much like the other aspect of my comment. Some just don't like it as it may "poke the bear" a bit. Just because something is straight to the point and not always what you want to hear, does not make it defensive. Was I pointing out something from my perspective?

My point was very simple - it is routinely brought up here that many of Iowa's top wrestlers are from PA. No question. My basic point is that many of Penn State's top wrestlers are from out of state as well. Do I get brownie points for stating how superior PA is to Iowa in high school wrestling? Or was that taken as simply factual? Much like the other aspect of my comment. Some just don't like it as it may "poke the bear" a bit. Just because something is straight to the point and not always what you want to hear, does not make it defensive. Was I pointing out something from my perspective?

My last in this thread - your last sentence in the post in question read something to the effect of stop criticizing Iowa for recruiting out of state when PSU does it regularly as well when no one was criticizing, LOL.

Damn boy - your own word!!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT