ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa. 8-2, ranked and

Obliviax

Aug 21, 2001
probably West Division Champs. They've got Illinois, who has found a QB, and Nebraska (who has not).

Reactions: NedFromYork
Some teams improve over the course of the season.

LdN
I understand the sarcasm that we haven't improved. But neither has Iowa. They lost to us an Minny (12-10) and their B1G wins are Sparty, Purdue, Wiscy, NW and Rutgers. Their last two wins are NW (10-7) and Rutgers (22-0).

Fact is, the B1G (as usual) is tOSU and UM. PSU is there in no-mans land. You then have the rest of the conference.

Reactions: Ski and bison13
I understand the sarcasm that we haven't improved. But neither has Iowa. They lost to us an Minny (12-10) and their B1G wins are Sparty, Purdue, Wiscy, NW and Rutgers. Their last two wins are NW (10-7) and Rutgers (22-0).

Fact is, the B1G (as usual) is tOSU and UM. PSU is there in no-mans land. You then have the rest of the conference.

Yep. I agree. Which is why counting those wins as accomplishments is a joke

Also why us losing to Iowa regularly and MSU several times is also a joke.

The way that sentence should have concluded is "may be the worst 8-2 P5 team in history"

Yep. I agree. Which is why counting those wins as accomplishments is a joke

Also why us losing to Iowa regularly and MSU several times is also a joke.
My only hope is that with the onset of USC, UCLA, Oregon and Washington...along with an outsider as president of the B1G, things will be different. For as long as PSU has been in the B1G, every power broker in a position of authority has been a tOSU or UM homer, including the long-standing head of officiating who had a UM helmet lamp in his office. Along with PSU having to overcome the B1G big-wigs as well as our own corrupt BoT, it is a miracle we are competitive.

My only hope is that with the onset of USC, UCLA, Oregon and Washington...along with an outsider as president of the B1G, things will be different. For as long as PSU has been in the B1G, every power broker in a position of authority has been a tOSU or UM homer, including the long-standing head of officiating who had a UM helmet lamp in his office. Along with PSU having to overcome the B1G big-wigs as well as our own corrupt BoT, it is a miracle we are competitive.

I agree. The history against us has been difficult.

On the flipside, PSU and fans have convinced themselves we are a second tier program.

Until that changes we won't improve.

Let's keep in mind that we were 4-5 in conference the two seasons before last.

I agree. The history against us has been difficult.

On the flipside, PSU and fans have convinced themselves we are a second tier program.

Until that changes we won't improve.
I think you hit on something there. As a lifelong football fan it is easy to see that programs come with "classes" and it is really hard to break out of that class. We see the same teams, year in and out, for a decade or more in both the NFL and CFB. You rarely see Dallas, SFO or Pitt have bad seasons. They are always in the sniff. the exemptions are KC and New England who both have ridden incredible QBs to championships. In CFB, it is AL, GA, Clemson, tOSU. UM is making a run, OK has dropped off. Credit to Harbaugh who, after 8 seasons, is very close to breaking through. But he didn't have the stain of JS nor the weakness of PSU's BoT. Contrast at how Um's president is fighting for their football team right now.

Reactions: LionDeNittany
Iowa was probably stronger when they face us than now given they at least had a competent QB at that time. They aren't great of course but it was a decent win for us especially given how dominant we were against them. Their defense is legit excellent and they have not given up more than 16 points to any other team.

Reactions: NedFromYork
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT