ADVERTISEMENT

In case you missed it, the Pirates now have the 2nd best record in baseball.

fairgambit

Aug 20, 2010
Sure, we're 6 back, but half a season remains. This is a very good team, and they will be a force in the playoffs regardless of whether they win the Division.

Reactions: GulfCoastLion
It's amazing that the Pirates would be leading every division in Baseball except the one they are in? And they are back 6 - STL has just been lights out the first half.

It's amazing that the Pirates would be leading every division in Baseball except the one they are in? And they are back 6 - STL has just been lights out the first half.
True, and if the Cards can keep it up, it will be remarkable. I don't think they can, but even if they do, and they win the Division, they proved last year that the playoffs are a whole new season. The Bucs will be in the playoffs and their chances are as good as anyone.

I remember years ago Detroit started out the season 35-5. The team behind them (can't remember who it was) was having a pretty good year themselves to that point but were lagging behind the Tigers and I remember their manager saying..."We could be undefeated and we'd only have a 5 game lead!" This reminds me a little of that situation where the Pirates are playing so well and they're still 6 out.

Sure, we're 6 back, but half a season remains. This is a very good team, and they will be a force in the playoffs regardless of whether they win the Division.

So says my favorite Pirates bandwagon fan. :D

Amazing what you were saying about the team just 2 months ago (click here to read).

Just having some fun with you. I've said many times that baseball is an 162-game season, so you don't want to get too down on a team when they lose several games, or too high on a team when they win a bunch of games. These things have a way of evening out over time.

Reactions: fairgambit

Amazing what you were saying about the team just 2 months ago (click here to read).

Just having some fun with you. I've said many times that baseball is an 162-game season, so you don't want to get too down on a team when they lose several games, or too high on a team when they win a bunch of games. These things have a way of evening out over time.

ZING

Damn. In the old days we bandwagon fans could jump on and off and no one paid much attention. Now we have our words immortalized. :( Wait a minute! That post was May 6th. That's the day my computer was taken over by a hacker from the Cardinals Organization! That wasn't me at all. ;)

That link provided a nice trip down memory lane.
medium-smiley-034.gif

That link provided a nice trip down memory lane.
medium-smiley-034.gif
I can't speak for others, but I'm tellin' ya', anything in that thread was not posted by me. Those Cardinal hackers took over my computer for nearly a week. They know what a loyal Pirate fan I am and they are trying to sow dissension in our ranks. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: PSU-Knocker

Fox Chapel Lion wants to know what he has to do to become your favorite bandwagon Pirate fan (click here).

Fox Chapel Lion wants to know what he has to do to become your favorite bandwagon Pirate fan (click here).
Well, we can see by his words that he was off the bandwagon on May 3..."I know it's the first week of May - doesn't matter. I'm predicting a losing record and you can forget about the playoffs." That's really excellent! Clearly he was off in early May. Now, the question is whether he has gotten back on. Of course, there is still plenty of time, but true professional bandwagon jumpers execute their jumps, off and on, many times during the season. We'll see how good he really is.

Well, we can see by his words that he was off the bandwagon on May 3..."I know it's the first week of May - doesn't matter. I'm predicting a losing record and you can forget about the playoffs." That's really excellent! Clearly he was off in early May. Now, the question is whether he has gotten back on. Of course, there is still plenty of time, but true professional bandwagon jumpers execute their jumps, off and on, many times during the season. We'll see how good he really is.

That's true, the lows of your anti-fandom have to be low, but the highs equally high. And you sir, are the Phantom's Revenge of Pirates bandwagoners in that regard!

That's true, the lows of your anti-fandom have to be low, but the highs equally high. And you sir, are the Phantom's Revenge of Pirates bandwagoners in that regard!
Thank you cincy! When it comes to Bucco bandwagon jumping, I want to be considered among the best of all time. With your solid baseball background, your opinion is highly valued.

Thank you cincy! When it comes to Bucco bandwagon jumping, I want to be considered among the best of all time. With your solid baseball background, your opinion is highly valued.

I feel as though it's worth noting the Pirates have the best record in baseball since I received my 1960's Official Greenweenie!

I feel as though it's worth noting the Pirates have the best record in baseball since I received my 1960's Official Greenweenie!
Cincy, it should come as no surprise to you that I'm losing patience with Polanco. Maybe we expected too much, but when I compare him to other young hyped supposed phenoms, he's not even close. I'm starting to think bust. Very troubling signs.

Cincy, it should come as no surprise to you that I'm losing patience with Polanco. Maybe we expected too much, but when I compare him to other young hyped supposed phenoms, he's not even close. I'm starting to think bust. Very troubling signs.

I agree he's not been what we thought thus far, but I'm still willing to be patient with him, the skills are there. It's also unfair to compare him to the true "phenoms" because he was never regarded quite that highly. Not like he was mentioned with the likes of Bryce Harper, mike trout, kris Bryant, etc. he was unranked in 2011, in 2012 he was only the #51 prospect, then #10 in 2013. So he kind of came out of nowhere, then jumped up pretty high, but never quite a phenom as I'd think of it. I'm willing to give another full season after this one before I really get concerned, but I may be overly patient.

I'm here for my beating. My motto is always lead with your chin.

Still not thrilled with the offense. There are still gaping holes in the lineup starting with first base. Polanco looks to me like a guy that could benefit from six weeks in Indy.

That said, you are what your record says you are.

Still not thrilled with the offense. There are still gaping holes in the lineup starting with first base. Polanco looks to me like a guy that could benefit from six weeks in Indy.
Very nice. Some of us have been aboard the Bucco express since day 1, but better late than never.;)

Very nice. Some of us have been aboard the Bucco express since day 1, but better late than never.;)

Torn between calling BS (despite the "wink" smiley face) and giving you a like for playing this so well. Might have to stay up a few extra hours trying to resolve this. :rolleyes:

Torn between calling BS (despite the "wink" smiley face) and giving you a like for playing this so well. Might have to stay up a few extra hours trying to resolve this. :rolleyes:
Tom, except for the times when those dastardly Cardinal people took over my computer (they know I have the Hidden Vigorish formula and they're trying to steal it) nothing but positive posts have come from me. Honest.
fingers%20crossed.gif

I agree with your concerns, but every team has its share of weaknesses. Just a matter of the overall team, and the Bucs are as good as anyone all-around.

I agree with your concerns, but every team has its share of weaknesses. Just a matter of the overall team, and the Bucs are as good as anyone all-around.
Yes they are. The pitching is terrific and the bats are becoming more consistent. The bottom line is ITS FUN BEING A PIRATE FAN AGAIN!!!

Reactions: Nittany Ziggy
4-1/2 back now gambit. Big weekend series coming up before the break. I'll take a split of the 4 game series at a minimum. Final game of the series on national TV Sunday evening.

I like the Pirates in a 5 or 7 game series, but I still don't like them in that dang one game playoff. They face some power lefty like Baumgartner or Lester and be in trouble. The need to play lights out and win the division. I wish they'd make that WC playoff a 3 game deal...... maybe a doubleheader followed by a single the next day.

4-1/2 back now gambit. Big weekend series coming up before the break. I'll take a split of the 4 game series at a minimum. Final game of the series on national TV Sunday evening.
Agree on split. Anything else is gravy. We can make up the 4.5 later. I just don't want to lose any ground.

I like the Pirates in a 5 or 7 game series, but I still don't like them in that dang one game playoff. They face some power lefty like Baumgartner or Lester and be in trouble. The need to play lights out and win the division. I wish they'd make that WC playoff a 3 game deal...... maybe a doubleheader followed by a single the next day.
I agree in that a single game is a crap shoot. Still, as the Giants proved last year, if you can get in, you can win it all.

Agree on split. Anything else is gravy. We can make up the 4.5 later. I just don't want to lose any ground.
True,taking three of four is no longer a must; however, remember that six of the final nine between the teams are in St. Louis. We all know how that's gone over the years. It would behoove the Pirates to not settle for a split and win this series.

True,taking three of four is no longer a must; however, remember that six of the final nine between the teams are in St. Louis. We all know how that's gone over the years. It would behoove the Pirates to not settle for a split and win this series.
That's a good point. I had forgotten how the schedule plays out, although the final 3 against the Cards are at home. OK, let's take 3 of 4 this weekend. By the way, I like the word "behoove". I don't know that I've ever seen it on this Board before. :)

Weird that the Pirates and Royals have 2 of the 3 best records in baseball now. I remember a few years ago when they were the leading candidates in contraction discussions/rumors.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT