ADVERTISEMENT

"I'll announce right after the bowl game" = "I'm gone".

maybe you should re-read your OP because that is not what it says

Here is my OP. Please explain to me where I judged the kid as being "right" or "wrong" about his decision.

So Hamler said today that he will let us all know his decision right after the bowl game. IMO that pretty much equates to "Right after the bowl game I will declare for the NFL".

I see no reason to post-pone an announcement until after the bowl game, IF the announcement is "I'm staying". If you are staying, no reason to not just say it now... why not?

Correct. If it has you upset (distracted) it might be time to get your own life.
Yeah, I think I need help. I had a dream last night where KJ was running in the open field for the winning score as time was elapsing against tOSU at Beaver Stadium, when suddenly he morphed into a Dallas Cowboy player running to glory against my beloved Eagles. I woke up in a cold sweat and looked at the clock. It was 3 AM. I'm spent. Anyone else have nightmare stories to share about the impending loss of college-aged football players who are selfishly making personal decisions that might effect the lives of middle-aged men vicariously living through their accomplishments? Their decisions are having an impact on our lives. They owe it to us to stay man! That's all I got. Oh, and I'm gonna put on my crystals, play some Andreas Vollenweider, do some transcendental meditation and drink a cup or two of healing tea to recover. It's all about balance.

Last edited:
Yeah, I think I need help. I had a dream last night where KJ was running in the open field for the winning score as time was elapsing against tOSU at Beaver Stadium, when suddenly he morphed into a Dallas Cowboy player running to glory against my beloved Eagles. I woke up in a cold sweat and looked at the clock. It was 3 AM. I'm spent. Anyone else have nightmare stories to share about the impending loss of college-aged football players who are selfishly making personal decisions that might effect the lives of middle-aged men vicariously living through their accomplishments? Their decisions are having an impact on our lives. They owe it to us to stay man! That's all I got. Oh, and I'm gonna put on my crystals, play some Andreas Wollenweider, do some transcendental meditation and drink a cup or two of healing tea to recover. It's all about balance.
LOL and this is nothing like what's coming if the OC isn't the shiny new object.

Reactions: mn78psu83
If KJ decides to stay for 2020 that would be great since it sets us up for a super year.

If KJ decides to go the NFL then good for him. He gave us some great years and we wish him well. We can turn our attention to Dotson, George, Freiermuth, Lambert, and Washington.
Don’t sleep on John Dunmore, or TJ Jones !

Yeah, I think I need help. I had a dream last night where KJ was running in the open field for the winning score as time was elapsing against tOSU at Beaver Stadium, when suddenly he morphed into a Dallas Cowboy player running to glory against my beloved Eagles. I woke up in a cold sweat and looked at the clock. It was 3 AM. I'm spent. Anyone else have nightmare stories to share about the impending loss of college-aged football players who are selfishly making personal decisions that might effect the lives of middle-aged men vicariously living through their accomplishments? Their decisions are having an impact on our lives. They owe it to us to stay man! That's all I got. Oh, and I'm gonna put on my crystals, play some Andreas Vollenweider, do some transcendental meditation and drink a cup or two of healing tea to recover. It's all about balance.

You hate you.

Reactions: mn78psu83 and RTRMR
I think he should shock everyone and announce during the game. Let him score a TD and during the celebration turn to the camera and make a statement one way or other.
Maybe they should do it like the high school all star games and have players declare at a little booth with their families.

I had a dream that my beloved Steelers drafted a RB from a hated school across town and the guy hardly ever saw the field because he's as fragile as a porcelain doll. Oh wait!?!?

We might have unwittingly given him a platform for one of his rants. Oh well. Then again, without 21Guns (and Bushwood rarely making an appearance any more) he's just about all we have left for entertainment.
LOL, Gunsie...
Female-Bodybuilder.gif

Just do not say anything then. He more or less said he is leaving. He could have simply said "I just want to talk about the bowl game".

It was the bowl media session. He was asked about his NFL decision. He said he'd announce after the bowl game and that was it. He didn't bring it up and he didn't talk about it. He's a straight forward kid. He's not playing any games. Sure, he's probably gone. But we knew that a couple months ago. He's going to finish the season with his team and then talk about what comes next. I like it. Good for him. We'll find out officially after next Saturday.

Here is my OP. Please explain to me where I judged the kid as being "right" or "wrong" about his decision.

The end of your post where you decided he should just announce it now is why everyone responded. It’s KJ’s decision, he can announce it whenever he wants

The end of your post where you decided he should just announce it now is why everyone responded. It’s KJ’s decision, he can announce it whenever he wants

No.... I said he more or less already answered it. He said "I already made up my mind, I am not going to announce it until after the bowl game" ..... To THAT part ... THAT part of his comment, I stated that he basically just said he is going to the NFL (and good for him) ... so why not just go ahead and announce it.???

IMO... to say "I already made a decision, but I will not announce it until after the game", means that he is leaving. I could be dead-wrong. I hope I am. I'd love to see KJ stay another year. Heck, I'd get another year out of a #1 jersey I paid $100 for this season for my 13 year old daughter.

So. Let me be clear because it seems like you want to read things into my OP..... I am perfectly cool if KJ stays. I'd love to see him play for us another season. And, I'd support him 100% if he goes to NFL and pull for him to kick ass on Sundays........ BUT..... IMO, his statement means that he is leaving, so just go ahead and do what YGM did (no big deal) and make it official.

Reactions: nits74
No.... I said he more or less already answered it. He said "I already made up my mind, I am not going to announce it until after the bowl game" ..... To THAT part ... THAT part of his comment, I stated that he basically just said he is going to the NFL (and good for him) ... so why not just go ahead and announce it.???

IMO... to say "I already made a decision, but I will not announce it until after the game", means that he is leaving. I could be dead-wrong. I hope I am. I'd love to see KJ stay another year. Heck, I'd get another year out of a #1 jersey I paid $100 for this season for my 13 year old daughter.

So. Let me be clear because it seems like you want to read things into my OP..... I am perfectly cool if KJ stays. I'd love to see him play for us another season. And, I'd support him 100% if he goes to NFL and pull for him to kick ass on Sundays........ BUT..... IMO, his statement means that he is leaving, so just go ahead and do what YGM did (no big deal) and make it official.
FWIW, that's pretty much how I interpreted the post. Creating controversy where none exists happens often here.

Reactions: Kiber
Let’s show him some of the pics from here on Tom’s Board.....maybe he’ll then be like Bob and be right back! :D

Because he doesn’t want to. And it’s his decision

Reactions: eidolon21
After much consideration, discussion with my family, and having prayed on it have made a decision about my future. I have decided that I am coming back to BWI for the 2020 season.

Respect my decision. No interviews.

As long as you continue to provide the entertainment, your decision is a welcome one.

His coaches and teammates know. Maybe a distraction for fans, not for the team.

It's a distraction because of the media, who have already made a big deal out of it. Whether the team knows or not (and I agree that they probably know, though I'm not in the locker room as you apparently are) is immaterial. It's the outside noise that becomes the distraction. Surprised I had to explain this.

Correct. If it has you upset (distracted) it might be time to get your own life.

You seem to:
A) read more into what people say than is there,
B) misstate (probably intentionally) what's been said, and
C) post hypocritical statements, based on your own history of taking it personally whenever a coach is even mildly criticized.

Reactions: cjrugger
It's a distraction because of the media, who have already made a big deal out of it. Whether the team knows or not (and I agree that they probably know, though I'm not in the locker room as you apparently are) is immaterial. It's the outside noise that becomes the distraction. Surprised I had to explain this.

You seem to:
C) post hypocritical statements, based on your own history of taking it personally whenever a coach is even mildly criticized.
Thanks for noticing.

You seem to:
Just take a look at who "likes" your post and judge for yourself its merit.

Because he doesn’t want to. And it’s his decision

And again. Please read. I said him saying "I made my decision, but I will not announce until after the bowl" = "I'm leaving" .... so he might as well just announce.

I never said he had to. I was saying that he more or less already told us the answer ... so he might as well just announce.

Never did I say it was not his decision. But I'll stand by what my OP stated regardless of your inability to comprehend.... What he stated the other day, more or less is saying "I am announcing for the NFL".

And once again. It's no big deal either way. If I were being told I would be a 2nd round pick, I would also leave, so I am not judging his decision.

This mock draft has KJ ahead of YGM in the first round.

Last edited:
So Hamler said today that he will let us all know his decision right after the bowl game. IMO that pretty much equates to "Right after the bowl game I will declare for the NFL".

I see no reason to post-pone an announcement until after the bowl game, IF the announcement is "I'm staying". If you are staying, no reason to not just say it now... why not?
I still don't understand how or why people are confused about any of this. He actually let it slip in a post game interview this year that he was on his way out. I get that people want him to stay or maybe he could have changed his mind, but it's pretty clear he was leaning heavily towards leaving already and he didn't hurt his chances with his play this year. He's an electric player and the right offense will find him ways to get the ball in some space. If he changes his mind...awesome, but that seems like a really big long shot no matter what the lip service is today.

Reactions: Kiber
Additional quotes to suggest it is not decided:

“I don’t want to talk about that right now.’’ Hamler said.

“I’m focused on this bowl game and my teammates. Y’all going to find out right after the bowl game.”

Hamler, at least early in his interview session, would not even say if he’s made his decision but is delaying the announcement.

“I don’t know, to be honest,’’ Hamler said.

“I feel like that’s my business, and my teammates’ business and my coaches’ business. … I’m not really focused on that right now, I’m going down to Dallas, playing Memphis, just balling out for the team.’’

During the last two seasons, Hamler has established himself as one of the Big Ten’s most dangerous players on offense. He racked up 96 catches for 1,612 yards (16.8 average) and 13 touchdowns in 2018 and 2019.

“I think it’s a win-win for me to stay or leave, but you know, you always gotta write the pros and cons down,” Hamler said.

The wideout did say the decision-making process has been difficult.

“I didn’t think it was going to be this difficult and this stressful,” Hamler said.

https://www.pennlive.com/pennstatef...tm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=psufootball_sf

Gotta love a guy that is all about the team, as if we needed another reason to love KJ Hamler

I still don't understand how or why people are confused about any of this. He actually let it slip in a post game interview this year that he was on his way out. I get that people want him to stay or maybe he could have changed his mind, but it's pretty clear he was leaning heavily towards leaving already and he didn't hurt his chances with his play this year. He's an electric player and the right offense will find him ways to get the ball in some space. If he changes his mind...awesome, but that seems like a really big long shot no matter what the lip service is today.

Agree. All my OP was really saying was that if KJ were staying, IMO he'd just say it now. Staying would be a positive boost to the team. Friermuth announced he's staying... then Menet... then Fries.... KJ announcing he's staying would be another positive boost. So what my OP was saying was that IF he were staying, I see no reason to wait until after the bowl game to make THAT announcement. So, by stating that "he's already made a decision but will not make it public until after the Cotton Bowl"...... is basically saying he's leaving.

BTW. You are correct. Earlier in the year after the White Out Game, while walking off the field and while his emotions were still raging, a reporter put a mic in KJ face and asked him the special emotions beating his home-state team. KJ replied that not only was it special to have a great game against his home-state team, but he wanted to make his last White Out special. That may be the slip he made earlier in the year you are thinking of.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT