ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN, Disney, Fox announce new sports streaming service

Obliviax

Aug 21, 2001
Not a lot of detail but I can tell you streaming is broken for sports. My local teams, Guardians and Cavs, are on Balley Sports network which used to be Fox Sports Ohio. They declared Chapter 7 bankruptcy and the teams tried to get control back. But the contract went on for another year, at least, In the meantime, they screwed up negotiations and are carried by next to nobody. The app is $20 per month. Then we had a game on Peacock, a playoff game was on Peacock...I simply have no clue where to watch games anymore without having to do several WWW searches.

We'll see where this goes. The only reason why I currently carry any live TV at all is ESPN/Fox/B1G. If I can get rid of those, I'll go back to an antenna for the local channels and the movie streaming services like Apple, Max, Netflix and Amazon.

They waited too long. I have streaming service fatigue now, there are too many and the sum of the subscriptions to get a bunch now exceeds the cost of a lower end cable plan. I'm being very selective going forward and I sure as hell am not paying $50/month just for an ESPN/FOX sports package.

I wonder how this will avoid any antitrust issues. If it’s reasonably priced, it’s probably best for the typical sports fan.

I wonder how this will avoid any antitrust issues. If it’s reasonably priced, it’s probably best for the typical sports fan.
That's what I'm thinking too. If you get all the sports networks in one package they may start jacking up the price.

Not a lot of detail but I can tell you streaming is broken for sports. My local teams, Guardians and Cavs, are on Balley Sports network which used to be Fox Sports Ohio. They declared Chapter 7 bankruptcy and the teams tried to get control back. But the contract went on for another year, at least, In the meantime, they screwed up negotiations and are carried by next to nobody. The app is $20 per month. Then we had a game on Peacock, a playoff game was on Peacock...I simply have no clue where to watch games anymore without having to do several WWW searches.

We'll see where this goes. The only reason why I currently carry any live TV at all is ESPN/Fox/B1G. If I can get rid of those, I'll go back to an antenna for the local channels and the movie streaming services like Apple, Max, Netflix and Amazon.

Didn't Fox buy the rest of the B1G network? If so, wonder if B1G games might be part of this streaming service. In any case it's hard to imagine this would cost much less than FUBO or Youtube TV cost now -- most of that charge (same as extended basic cable) is for sports anyway.

Anyway it will be a few more years of chaos but at some point there will be shakeout and consolidation. Really the sports leagues and conferences should be studying this very closely instead of just selling their rights to the highest bidder. If they're not careful they could lose a lot of audience when games are no longer on broadcast channels.

Didn't Fox buy the rest of the B1G network? If so, wonder if B1G games might be part of this streaming service. In any case it's hard to imagine this would cost much less than FUBO or Youtube TV cost now -- most of that charge (same as extended basic cable) is for sports anyway.

Anyway it will be a few more years of chaos but at some point there will be shakeout and consolidation. Really the sports leagues and conferences should be studying this very closely instead of just selling their rights to the highest bidder. If they're not careful they could lose a lot of audience when games are no longer on broadcast channels.
CNBC reported that the sports leagues were blind sided by this so look for legal action depending on contract language.

I am on antenna, don't have cable. I am not going to pay to watch sports..

Reactions: Gitzit and Obliviax
If it isn't on one of those channels, I just listen to the PSU radio network (Jones & Ham) and also follow on the chat boards.. The major games are usually on one of the four networks. I've adapted, guess I'm used to it.
God bless you. 😀
I am sports crazed, and so is my 10-year-old son. He follows not only teams, but individual players as well. We unfortunately need these services.

God bless you. 😀
I am sports crazed, and so is my 10-year-old son. He follows not only teams, but individual players as well. We unfortunately need these services.
Fully understand with a younger child or teen. Ours are grown and married, they have children. They all have some type of cable service.

Reactions: Obliviax
Here's a little more detailed report about this new sports service.

1) This will definitely include BTN so it might be of interest to PSU fans.
2) Quotes an insider that the price will be more than a regional sports subscription (which is typically $20-30) but less than a full cable bundle ($70).
3) The announcement is a powerful recognition that the cable bundle is in its death throes because Fox, Disney/ESPN and Warner have all been very much involved in trying to preserve cable -- but they've lost the battle and are losing too many cable subscriptions
variety

I think this will really hurt some non-sports cable channels that are now subsidized by cable bundles, such as MSNBC, Fox News, Weather etc. Something like 140 m households pay for Fox News but only a tiny fraction of them every watch it (and I'm sure MSNBC is similar)

2) Quotes an insider that the price will be more than a regional sports subscription (which is typically $20-30) but less than a full cable bundle ($70).
3) The announcement is a powerful recognition that the cable bundle is in its death throes because Fox, Disney/ESPN and Warner have all been very much involved in trying to preserve cable -- but they've lost the battle and are losing too many cable subscriptions

variety

I like it.

I"ll get that to go along with Max, Apple, Netflix and Amazon. I'll get an antenna to get the local channels. Done.

Fully understand with a younger child or teen. Ours are grown and married, they have children. They all have some type of cable service.

I don't know anybody who does a cable bundle for any reason other than sports. It's always guys who are into NFL or college basketball or whatever. So a standalone streaming service that includes 85 percent of national sports rights is going to really accelerate cable cutting IMHO.

variety

I think this will really hurt some non-sports cable channels that are now subsidized by cable bundles, such as MSNBC, Fox News, Weather etc. Something like 140 m households pay for Fox News but only a tiny fraction of them every watch it (and I'm sure MSNBC is similar)
Fox News gets give times what CNN gets. CNN would be hurt far more.

This will really hurt the othe 100 cable shows like History, BET, VH1, Tennis Channel and more.

variety

Wow, if it is only $20-$30 and includes the conference networks like btn then legacy cable and even the streaming cable replacements (like Fubo or Youtube tv) are done.

I think Fox owns 61% and the B1G owns 39%.
Originally, it was 51% B1G and 49% Fox

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT