ADVERTISEMENT

I Miss

Kasparaitis

Dec 27, 2023
Coach Joe, as my daughter calls him. I’m sure he wouldn’t be thrilled with Michigan’s cheating scandal but I don’t think he would overreact. He would probably make some crack like that’s why we didn’t recruit Harbaugh.

I think the young Joe would have been pissed and said something but not making a huge deal of it. Probably behind closed doors he would have complained. The older Joe wouldn't have done or said much just probably made some quip as you suggest and written it off as Harbaugh being a "dumb kid".

Reactions: Ski and Kasparaitis
I don’t think that is accurate. Joe was a principled leader. He would’ve been very vocal about the scandal.
I agree. Remember his quote when asked about retirement that” I’m not ready to leave college football to the likes of Barry Switzer and Jackie Sherrill.” He didn’t pull any punches with that remark.

I agree. Remember his quote when asked about retirement that” I’m not ready to leave college football to the likes of Barry Switzer and Jackie Sherrill.” He didn’t pull any punches with that remark.
And he may have taken a shot at Harbaugh but he wouldn't have focused on it.

You’re comparing felonies to misdemeanors. Which is kind of my point. Joe knew which hills to die on. Trying to ruin a young man’s life was worth risking his own reputation in the case of Rashard Casey. What Michigan did was wrong and unfair but I don’t think Joe would have made a capital case out of it. As I said, he would have probably made his point with some well directed comments that ridiculed Michigan and its coaches.

You’re comparing felonies to misdemeanors. Which is kind of my point. Joe knew which hills to die on. Trying to ruin a young man’s life was worth risking his own reputation in the case of Rashard Casey. What Michigan did was wrong and unfair but I don’t think Joe would have made a capital case out of it. As I said, he would have probably made his point with some well directed comments that ridiculed Michigan and its coaches.
It appears that you excuse Michigan’s blatant cheating that directly lead to a NC they did not deserve..

It appears that you excuse Michigan’s blatant cheating that directly lead to a NC they did not deserve..
I believe they just received some kind 3 year penalty for recruiting violations but haven't heard anything on their sign stealing BS. You have to admit, they're persistent on getting the upper hand on everyone else - one way or the other - and Harbaugh is no dummy - he got the he!! out of Dodge

While what Joe said publically about Sherrill and Switzer while accurate was, IMHO, inappropriate. It would have been better if he had said that privately to them face to face.....or not said it at all. It came off as sanctimonious; as if Saint Joseph was making a pronouncement to the people.

As far as what he might say today about Harbaugh and UM, given what transpired under his command during the Sandusky scandal, he should point fingers at no one.

While what Joe said publically about Sherrill and Switzer while accurate was, IMHO, inappropriate. It would have been better if he had said that privately to them face to face.....or not said it at all. It came off as sanctimonious; as if Saint Joseph was making a pronouncement to the people.

As far as what he might say today about Harbaugh and UM, given what transpired under his command during the Sandusky scandal, he should point fingers at no one.
Your take is a dopey one so I don’t put any stock in it at all. Joe had absolutely nothing to do with Sandusky. It’s been proven, everyone now knows that is a fact and anyone who says otherwise has an agenda.

I don’t think that is accurate. Joe was a principled leader. He would’ve been very vocal about the scandal.
Paterno, Woody Hayes, John McKay, Schembecher, etc....wouldn't last in today's CF game. It was their way or the highway.

Especially Woody Hayes who - I've read on several occasions - was basically a tyrant with his players. If he told a kid he needed a haircut - or basically anything he believed in, that kid better comply or he was sent packing, Now keep in mind, this was back in the 60s and 70s. Can you imagine a CF HC trying that today? But if you talk to the players that played for him back then, they loved him and called him "the Old Man."

I’m not excusing anyone or anything. How could it appear otherwise since I plainly said it was wrong and unfair? Just like the Patriots cheating and Tom Brady cheating. The question is what do you do about it? I’m merely saying what I think Joe’s response would have been. He was smart enough to know that he did not have the power to punish Michigan himself and knowing that I think he would have handled it by letting everyone know his feelings most likely through a very public dig at Michigan and specifically Harbaugh. That’s called leadership.

Paterno, Woody Hayes, John McKay, Schembecher, etc....wouldn't last in today's CF game. It was their way or the highway.

Especially Woody Hayes who - I've read on several occasions - was basically a tyrant with his players. If he told a kid he needed a haircut - or basically anything he believed in, that kid better comply or he was sent packing, Now keep in mind, this was back in the 60s and 70s. Can you imagine a CF HC trying that today? But if you talk to the players that played for him back then, they loved him and called him "the Old Man."
Yeah no more stories like the one when Walton told Coach Wooden that he was not going to cut his hair. Wooden told him that was too bad because he liked him and that they would miss him. Walton cut his hair.

I’m not excusing anyone or anything. How could it appear otherwise since I plainly said it was wrong and unfair? Just like the Patriots cheating and Tom Brady cheating. The question is what do you do about it? I’m merely saying what I think Joe’s response would have been. He was smart enough to know that he did not have the power to punish Michigan himself and knowing that I think he would have handled it by letting everyone know his feelings most likely through a very public dig at Michigan and specifically Harbaugh. That’s called leadership.
Just one?

• Love
Reactions: Westcoast24
It's not even a story at this point. There's 3 fan bases that care...and not even their entire fan base. Ultimately very few people will remember it. They let it die. Like everyone else they learned from our mistakes

It's not even a story at this point. There's 3 fan bases that care...and not even their entire fan base. Ultimately very few people will remember it. They let it die. Like everyone else they learned from our mistakes
We didn’t make any mistakes. We righteously supported the greatest coach in college football history who did absolutely nothing wrong. The corrupt board of trustees, you know those titans of business and politics, are the ones who sold us out and threw Coach Paterno under the bus so they could go back to their multi million dollar jobs even though they were the ones responsible for Sandusky.

We didn’t make any mistakes. We righteously supported the greatest coach in college football history who did absolutely nothing wrong. The corrupt board of trustees, you know those titans of business and politics, are the ones who sold us out and threw Coach Paterno under the bus so they could go back to their multi million dollar jobs even though they were the ones responsible for Sandusky.

Tons of mistakes were made. Our fan base made the situation worse regardless of whether or not you see that. Had people not handled it the way they did the entire situation would be largely forgotten but people couldn't allow appropriate time to pass before defending him. It was pure stupidity and now his legacy is forever tarnished.

Tons of mistakes were made. Our fan base made the situation worse regardless of whether or not you see that. Had people not handled it the way they did the entire situation would be largely forgotten but people couldn't allow appropriate time to pass before defending him. It was pure stupidity and now his legacy is forever
For every 1,000 things you say, 1 of them makes sense. This is not one of them.

Reactions: YeOldeCup
Yeah, that is exactly what I would expect from a low IQ person without integrity like you. You are nothing if not 100 percent predictable.
Less than 0.08% of the population can accurately refer to me, comparatively, as "low(er) IQ." Beating dead horses, hyperbolic fawning and hero worship are irksome, Elsa.

Less than 0.08% of the population can accurately refer to me, comparatively, as "low(er) IQ." Beating dead horses, hyperbolic fawning and hero worship are irksome, Elsa.
And so admirably humble! You are the total package. You still haven’t apologized for declaring that I am someone I’m clearly not. For someone with such a high opinion of yourself you are not very bright. Lil Dipshit.

Last edited:
And so admirably humble! You are the total package. You still haven’t apologized for declaring that I am someone I’m clearly not. For someone with such a high opinion of yourself you are not very bright. Lil Dipshit.
CJFisJoePaII, lil fella, I never declared you to be a competent, worthwhile person ... stop playing. Are you being paranoid about people talking down to you, again?

For every 1,000 things you say, 1 of them makes sense. This is not one of them.
Just because you dont comprehend simple things doesn't mean I'm wrong. Every other scandal is forgotten about aside from Sandusky and the reason for that is how much the fans fought against it. The powers that be screwed it up but because kids were involved defending Joe immediately was always going to come across as we care more about him than the kids. That's reality.

Did not say publically. Off record to reporter who was not honorable

Reactions: KCLion
IIRC wasn't that remark made off the record during his old post game whiskey and cigar get togethers with some members of the media? Then it was published, and those hang outs with Joe were immediately eliminated and probably explains why he was pretty curmudgeon with the media especially in his later years.

Statements like this are why PSU is considered the most delusional fan base in CFB. Joe is certainly the most disgraced coach in college football history, with a reputation that is lower than whale shit. The Paterno name will always be associated with failure.

Statements like this are why PSU is considered the most delusional fan base in CFB. Joe is certainly the most disgraced coach in college football history, with a reputation that is lower than whale shit. The Paterno name will always be associated with failure.
People like you are why Joe is so missed. I’m so very sorry for what your life has become. But there is hope. Don’t give up.

• Haha
Reactions: crm114psu
Correct. And it's not Joe's fault. The fans created this. Sherrill and Switzer will be remembered like Harbaugh at Michigan. For their success and failures. We're the only fan base still taking about Sherrill and Switzer cheating. No one else cares. They understand everyone, including Penn State, cheats.

IIRC wasn't that remark made off the record during his old post game whiskey and cigar get togethers with some members of the media? Then it was published, and those hang outs with Joe were immediately eliminated and probably explains why he was pretty curmudgeon with the media especially in his later years.

My memory confirms your post. I believe that it was a Friday night informal get together.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT