ADVERTISEMENT

How would this article fly for negative recruiting?

19333lion

Jan 30, 2016

Essentially claiming that Kelly treated Black players differently and was uncomfortable around them. Of course, he probably doesn't have to recruit at OSU and isn't a position coach, so maybe not much impact. On the other hand, it can't help recruiting on the offensive side of the ball.

Whatever you think of McCoy and Jackson, Kelly does have an off-putting personality, and this can't help that perception with young Black men and their families.

Essentially claiming that Kelly treated Black players differently and was uncomfortable around them. Of course, he probably doesn't have to recruit at OSU and isn't a position coach, so maybe not much impact. On the other hand, it can't help recruiting on the offensive side of the ball.

Whatever you think of McCoy and Jackson, Kelly does have an off-putting personality, and this can't help that perception with young Black men and their families.
LOL. Well, I have no idea how a college football coach can be successful if he/she is "uncomfortable" around black players.

lucille-bluth.gif

• Haha
Reactions: step.eng69
If this is in fact an issue for him, I imagine you'd hear from guys at Oregon and UCLA. Has there been any chatter about this?

If we want to gain a recruiting advantage on OSU, we need to actually beat them more than once a decade. Stuff like this isn't going to do anything. They're getting dudes to the league and going to the playoff.

If this is in fact an issue for him, I imagine you'd hear from guys at Oregon and UCLA. Has there been any chatter about this?

If we want to gain a recruiting advantage on OSU, we need to actually beat them more than once a decade. Stuff like this isn't going to do anything. They're getting dudes to the league and going to the playoff.
Those two 4th quarter collapses by PSU around 2017 - maybe 2018 - were backbreakers. Things would probably be a lot different today if PSU holds on and wins both of those games

Last edited:

Exactly. Hartline has had 2 incidents of driving under the influence now, one sending him and another to the hospital, and it has no impact on their recruiting. When Kevin Wilson was their OC a few years ago, it was immediately after being fired for abusing his players. Again, had zero impact on their recruiting. LJ Sr is what 72 and 400+ lbs? No impact on recruiting.

You know what does have an impact on their recruiting? They have been willing to buy players since way before NIL existed. Money talks.

If we want to gain a recruiting advantage on OSU, we need to actually beat them more than once a decade

Michigan beat them 3x in a row, and won the playoff; they still aren't beating OSU in recruiting.

Agreed with the rest.

Things would probably be a lot different today if PSU holds on and wins both of those games

Perception of Franklin, yes. The rest, I highly doubt. Our highest ranked recruiting class off the Barkley era success had the most fall out and least high end producing players. Not to mention that '20 happens the same regardless due to internal handling.

Reactions: EdwardoCarrachio

While Shady and DeSean have actual experiences that none of us have- they also only knew him as successful professional athletes who were more his equals than the college kids he was used to.

The combination of Kelly's lack of experience in the NFL and his naivete in managing a pro roster were his obvious shortfalls. Dealing with grown men, many of who had significant wealth, powerful agents and options, may have balanced the scales more than Chip thought it would. Maybe Kelly felt that by cleaning house and bringing in "his guys" that he would have more direct authority?

The Cooper incident was ugly and well covered in this region. One cannot blame Chip for maybe trying to diffuse a potentially volatile situation, but again here he apparently made more of a college move. Cooper wasn't worth any larger team problems.

If I recall he was from Florida where the use of the N word is still quasi acceptable to some. In a likely alcohol infused moment of confrontation where Cooper wasn't given the VIP access he felt he deserved at a Kenny Chesney concert, he went Redneck. Coach should have let him sink or swim on his own. Dude was a grown man....

None of this will help our recruiting vs OSU. All it will do is increase the hate for Kelly in Philly. Still plenty of 10 and 25 Jackson/ Shady jerseys walking around SEPA. There are no Kelly admirers.

While Shady and DeSean have actual experiences that none of us have- they also only knew him as successful professional athletes who were more his equals than the college kids he was used to.

The combination of Kelly's lack of experience in the NFL and his naivete in managing a pro roster were his obvious shortfalls. Dealing with grown men, many of who had significant wealth, powerful agents and options, may have balanced the scales more than Chip thought it would. Maybe Kelly felt that by cleaning house and bringing in "his guys" that he would have more direct authority?

The Cooper incident was ugly and well covered in this region. One cannot blame Chip for maybe trying to diffuse a potentially volatile situation, but again here he apparently made more of a college move. Cooper wasn't worth any larger team problems.

If I recall he was from Florida where the use of the N word is still quasi acceptable to some. In a likely alcohol infused moment of confrontation where Cooper wasn't given the VIP access he felt he deserved at a Kenny Chesney concert, he went Redneck. Coach should have let him sink or swim on his own. Dude was a grown man....

None of this will help our recruiting vs OSU. All it will do is increase the hate for Kelly in Philly. Still plenty of 10 and 25 Jackson/ Shady jerseys walking around SEPA. There are no Kelly admirers.
Unfortunately, the use of the N word is still widely acceptable. You simply have to have the right color of skin. I personally don't like that. I don't find it acceptable to call someone a cracker because of the color of my skin. If a slur is derogatory, it is derogatory. It shouldn't be used. Obviously, my opinion on the matter isn't accepted by many.

Reactions: bison13
Exactly. Hartline has had 2 incidents of driving under the influence now, one sending him and another to the hospital, and it has no impact on their recruiting. When Kevin Wilson was their OC a few years ago, it was immediately after being fired for abusing his players. Again, had zero impact on their recruiting. LJ Sr is what 72 and 400+ lbs? No impact on recruiting.

You know what does have an impact on their recruiting? They have been willing to buy players since way before NIL existed. Money talks.

This is the kind of victimhood post that makes us look silly. OSU has a bunch of bad people doing bad things and they're cheating, and yet they still recruit well. It's not fair!!!

Go ask a random 5* recruit why OSU is attractive, and then ask them about Penn State. Most will say that OSU competes for championships and we don't, that they send more dudes to the NFL (especially 1st round) than we do, that they beat us virtually every time we play.

If we want an edge over OSU, start beating them. We clearly have a lot of NFL talent. Running Miles Sanders into the arms of Chase Young on 4th and 5 probably isn't how we get it done.

Unfortunately, the use of the N word is still widely acceptable. You simply have to have the right color of skin. I personally don't like that. I don't find it acceptable to call someone a cracker because of the color of my skin. If a slur is derogatory, it is derogatory. It shouldn't be used. Obviously, my opinion on the matter isn't accepted by many.
I hear ya- all you have to do is look at the Ft. Myers HS baseball team situation involving former Brave Michael Tucker's son to see how this story is playing out in some places.

That said, a drunken white Cooper calling a bunch of African American security guards, doing their jobs, the N word, while threatening to harm them, is 1000% unacceptable. There is no spinning that situation.

And if his use of that word diminished his ability to work cohesively with his co-workers, hurting the productivity of the organization, then, regardless of his 1st Amendment rights, he would find himself free to find other opportunities. Chip tried to micromanage adults. Bad move.

Here is the link to Tucker story...it is a microcosm of the US at the moment.

This is the kind of victimhood post that makes us look silly. OSU has a bunch of bad people doing bad things and they're cheating, and yet they still recruit well. It's not fair!!!

Go ask a random 5* recruit why OSU is attractive, and then ask them about Penn State. Most will say that OSU competes for championships and we don't, that they send more dudes to the NFL (especially 1st round) than we do, that they beat us virtually every time we play.

If we want an edge over OSU, start beating them. We clearly have a lot of NFL talent. Running Miles Sanders into the arms of Chase Young on 4th and 5 probably isn't how we get it done.

What will the same random recruits say about Michigan who beat OSU three straight and won a championship? Want to bet who has a higher ranked class this year?

Ohio St's draft performance is at best in line with their recruiting. Penn St's is pretty much in line with our recruiting. Both schools offer the opportunity to get there and pan out at pretty much the same rate as their recruiting classes would foreshadow. There are some schools that don't. Some schools have a much lower rate of panning out than their lofty recruiting would suggest. Some are known for developing at a higher rate than their recruiting classes would suggest.

Ohio St's main advantage has been that they are willing to pay for play at a different level than any school not named Alabama or Georgia. They just don't have the championships to show for it like those 2 schools do.

And giving up two TDs in the last 8 minutes of that game definitely won’t get it done.

What will the same random recruits say about Michigan who beat OSU three straight and won a championship? Want to bet who has a higher ranked class this year?

They'd probably note that Michigan has a brand new coach and the prospect of NCAA punishment around the corner (although I suspect they'll skate). Also, compare how Michigan guys have done in the NFL lately to OSU or even us. Not that great (other than Tom Brady, of course, who graduated from Michigan 25 years ago). It's not THAT surprising to see Michigan lag behind in recruiting, particularly now that Harbaugh is gone.

But they are recruiting very well in the trenches still, and that was the key to their success. They just beat out OSU for a highly touted OL from Michigan. If you're an OL, Michigan is a great place to go.

They'd probably note that Michigan has a brand new coach and the prospect of NCAA punishment around the corner (although I suspect they'll skate). Also, compare how Michigan guys have done in the NFL lately to OSU or even us. Not that great (other than Tom Brady, of course, who graduated from Michigan 25 years ago). It's not THAT surprising to see Michigan lag behind in recruiting, particularly now that Harbaugh is gone.

But they are recruiting very well in the trenches still, and that was the key to their success. They just beat out OSU for a highly touted OL from Michigan. If you're an OL, Michigan is a great place to go.

So winning head to head is one of many variables?

By cheating.

• Wow
Reactions: Westcoast24
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT