ADVERTISEMENT

how do posters feel about Dave Jones of PennLive?

Why Do you suck up to him?
lol. Liking someone's videos is "sucking up"?

Sure, whatever you say.

giphy.gif

I can proudly say that I have not clicked on a PennLive article in over 10 years. The final straw for me was when they pulled the article that had then AG Linda Kelly, praising JoePa just days after Sandusky was arrested. That article can no longer be found in their archives. (You can find it if you do a google search) Why would PennLive kill that story? Is it because it didn’t fit their narrative?

I can proudly say that I have not clicked on a PennLive article in over 10 years. The final straw for me was when they pulled the article that had then AG Linda Kelly, praising JoePa just days after Sandusky was arrested. That article can no longer be found in their archives. (You can find it if you do a google search) Why would PennLive kill that story? Is it because it didn’t fit their narrative?

Pennlive was a cesspool for trolls seeking to vilify Joe and Penn State. We have a few of the garbage peddlers here today.

The comments sections led to a boycott of the rag, lost advertisers, and 2 day a week status.

I watch a lot of YouTubers spout off about college football, but I think Dave is one of the best.

If I didn't know any better, I would think your OP is a troll job. He is universally disliked among all of the active boards. He's an obvious antagonist. He is not objective. He's (almost?) always looking to tear PSU down. I've seen your handle around here enough, I would assume you knew that.

Has he ever predicted success for PSU? I'm sure he's picked us to win in the obvious games, but has he ever picked us to exceed expectations? Not only does he rarely see the positives, he takes the negative angle to an insulting level.

PSU needs to up their game with the media shill degrees so we can win more hearts and minds and control the narrative. That seems to be the path to follow, at least in the BIG.

It's pretty simple, people who expect PSU sportswriters to be homers don't like Jones.

I think he serves a purpose and this week's Jones/Flounders video is actually a great example. They finger what is, right now, the big weakness of this team, the wideout group. Penn State may not have anybody who can get open against top tier corners. Which means downfield passing is not safe, and it also means Ohio State and Michigan can lock down PSU's receivers with man coverage and free up their safeties for better run support.

The absence of a downfield passing game -- if it isn't corrected -- will doom PSU in its most important games.

Reactions: ivan brunetti
Jones is a basketball guy, first off. He's biased against central PA because it's not cosmopolitan enough, forgetting of course that most of the kids who come to school here are from the cities. He mocks the fans for enjoying the whole PS football experience so much, therefore his articles and commentary are rife with backhanded jabs and spite.

He obviously hated Paterno and the feeling was mutual. Yet, in the absence of Paterno nothing with Jones has changed. He still trolls the fans and the football program incessantly. He does, on rare RARE occasions write a neutral to positive basketball article. Rarely. To the casual observer this would be surprising. If any major sports program at PSU deserves to be trolled it's basketball. When the Sandusky thing blew up it was Christmas morning to Jones. He's not alone in that to be sure. But he's masquerading as a PS beat writer, a job he clearly despises. He was crapping all over PSU long before the Jerry saga unfolded.

I can't imagine another major D1 program putting up with a guy like him. He is predictable and tiresome.

Jones is a basketball guy, first off. He's biased against central PA because it's not cosmopolitan enough, forgetting of course that most of the kids who come to school here are from the cities. He mocks the fans for enjoying the whole PS football experience so much, therefore his articles and commentary are rife with backhanded jabs and spite.

He obviously hated Paterno and the feeling was mutual. Yet, in the absence of Paterno nothing with Jones has changed. He still trolls the fans and the football program incessantly. He does, on rare RARE occasions write a neutral to positive basketball article. Rarely. To the casual observer this would be surprising. If any major sports program at PSU deserves to be trolled it's basketball. When the Sandusky thing blew up it was Christmas morning to Jones. He's not alone in that to be sure. But he's masquerading as a PS beat writer, a job he clearly despises. He was crapping all over PSU long before the Jerry saga unfolded.

I can't imagine another major D1 program putting up with a guy like him. He is predictable and tiresome.

Dave Jones is a bag of shit.

I haven't forgotten his conduct regarding the accusations that Rashard Casey assaulted an off-duty police officer in Hoboken (2000). Among other questionable reports, Jones prematurely and incorrectly announced that Casey was about to be indicted.

The grand jury cleared Casey. He subsequently sued the Hoboken PD and was awarded a cash settlement.

Last edited:
Jones used to do a good job covering psu hoops when he lived beside Valley green golf course SW of harrisburg. He now lives outside of Philly somewhere and really does no in depth coverage of any psu sports anymore. All you get from him is negative opinions and Comcast tv feed reporting.

He’s the grinch?
HAHA . He is starting to look like the grinch with the wrinkles and that smile. His brain is full spiders, he's got termites in his smile, he looks like a sea sick crocodile lol.

Honestly, I like watching both on youtube to see what the other teams fans think., That"s what he is, a Buckeye fan. We would probably cover OSU the same way he covers PSU if roles were reversed..

It's pretty simple, people who expect PSU sportswriters to be homers don't like Jones.

I think he serves a purpose and this week's Jones/Flounders video is actually a great example. They finger what is, right now, the big weakness of this team, the wideout group. Penn State may not have anybody who can get open against top tier corners. Which means downfield passing is not safe, and it also means Ohio State and Michigan can lock down PSU's receivers with man coverage and free up their safeties for better run support.

The absence of a downfield passing game -- if it isn't corrected -- will doom PSU in its most important games.
That's a very ignorant and arogant response. Most people don't like Jones because he never balances his "objective" views with anything positive, but I guess you're too smart to see that.

Have you ever talked to him personally? your oppoinion my change

Pennlive was a cesspool for trolls seeking to vilify Joe and Penn State. We have a few of the garbage peddlers here today.

The comments sections led to a boycott of the rag, lost advertisers, and 2 day a week status.

You sound like the type of guy that nobody likes to be around

• Haha
Reactions: Westcoast24

I'll admit I didn't watch the video here. I may later. The PSU fan anger is usually not about the point he's making, it's about the way he delivers the message.

Reactions: GregInPitt

I don't know that he hated Paterno but he thought Paterno was overrated. He could see what is readily apparent now 25 years later, that Paterno's program was schlerotic and kind of coasting on its reputation from the 70s and 80s. Paterno could still recruit great players because he was Paterno but the program (especially offensively, but to some extent defensively as well) didn't always know what to do with them.

Remember the 1999 defense, the talent they had with Courtney Brown and Arrington. And then remember how that defense performed that year in pressure situations -- that was a pretty clear comment on the defensive coaching.

PSU was recruiting well, graduating players, they were sending players to the NFL but in terms of overall competitiveness they were sinking from a top 5-10 kind of program to a top 20-40 kind of program. PSU fans were largely in denial about it. And Paterno was telling people they should lower expectations and be happy with 9-3, 8-4 kinds of seasons.

Jones went to Ohio State, he came from that culture, so the level of complacency and lack of competitive fire in Paterno's program kind of offended him I think.

The question really is, do other programs put up with guys like him? I bet you would be hard-pressed to find a guy at a Columbus paper completely making up his own reality in a negative way about OSU football while subtly pumping up Michigan. Would a Texas grad "cover" Oklahoma football at a Sooner paper and always be praising Texas?

It just seems so odd to me for someone to take a job covering a program he has always been at odds with, and do it for so long while parading around as objective. It would be like any PSU fan accepting a position for the Trib to only cover Pitt football and make it his life's work to denigrate Pitt at all cost and at all times. Just weird IMHO.

I don't know that he hated Paterno but he thought Paterno was overrated. He could see what is readily apparent now 25 years later, that Paterno's program was schlerotic and kind of coasting on its reputation from the 70s and 80s. Paterno could still recruit great players because he was Paterno but the program (especially offensively, but to some extent defensively as well) didn't always know what to do with them.

Remember the 1999 defense, the talent they had with Courtney Brown and Arrington. And then remember how that defense performed that year in pressure situations -- that was a pretty clear comment on the defensive coaching.

PSU was recruiting well, graduating players, they were sending players to the NFL but in terms of overall competitiveness they were sinking from a top 5-10 kind of program to a top 20-40 kind of program. PSU fans were largely in denial about it. And Paterno was telling people they should lower expectations and be happy with 9-3, 8-4 kinds of seasons.

Jones went to Ohio State, he came from that culture, so the level of complacency and lack of competitive fire in Paterno's program kind of offended him I think.
Perhaps. I think my wider point is that now that Joe is no longer around, he hasn't changed his snarky antagonistic style. I suppose it gets clicks and views. I understand that's the way it works.

Reactions: PSUeng

Again, being objective isn't always pointing out the negatives. He rarely, if ever, has anything good to say about the program. If we were Rutgers, I could understand it... but we're not. And I bet the Rutgers beat writers are more positive about the program they cover than old Davey boy. Go back to 2005. We had a pretty good team that finished third, and he was still complaing.

I remember Jones and Flounders drinking in a bar when Rashard and some friends walked in.

Jones wet crapped a pair of tan shorts and Flounders pissed his pants. They were laughed out of the bar.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT