ADVERTISEMENT

Hamlin to Pitt

First, Hamlin seems like a fine young man and I wish him the best. But I repeat what I have posted several times before. People from Pittsburgh seem to have an unnatural attachment to the city.
Using Hamlin as an example he could have gone to OSU, arguably the top program in the country, it's 2-3 hours from home, played for arguably the best coach in the country, had a great shot of playing on day 1 due to all of their losses, and assuming he is good enough, played 3 years, turned pro and made a ton of money.
Instead he will play in a half empty stadium for a team that will consider an 8-4 season to be a great year with a minor bowl.
I do not think you would see an elite player in NYC choose Rutgers, an elite kid from Atlanta choose GT, or an elite player from Chicago choose NW. Those kinds of things rarely if ever happen. But it does happen with PGH kids all the time. Very odd IMO.
Aside from 2 years defending our nation and 2 years working in WVa, Pittsburgh has always been home. Its the people and the traditions that keep people here and coming back. As far as the elite athletes, they know they will play early if good enough. They also know people in the seats doesn't matter as the NFL scouts even go to the schools with less fans than PITT. The final equation is the coach, why else would Ole Miss have a top 5 recruiting class.

Never thought Hamlin would pick PSU and am impressed with how he handled the whole recruiting process. Better than Matthews anyway.

All OSU insiders had him Pitt all the way. I can see the attraction to starting right away, play for defense under Narduzzi, and go to the NFL. Pitt does oddly enough puts its share of players in the pros. Some kids just want to be a big fish in a small pond.

Reactions: m48tank
Aside from 2 years defending our nation and 2 years working in WVa, Pittsburgh has always been home. Its the people and the traditions that keep people here and coming back. As far as the elite athletes, they know they will play early if good enough. They also know people in the seats doesn't matter as the NFL scouts even go to the schools with less fans than PITT. The final equation is the coach, why else would Ole Miss have a top 5 recruiting class.
Have to acknowledge the pull of the 'burgh on the locals. I have plenty of family from the area and recognize the loyalty. So long as Pitt is even half-decent, they'll have a good shot at the best players in the WPIAL. With the decline in population of Western PA, that's not really enough to sustain a top program, but they are a factor in their own back yard.

With a coach like Franklin, PSU will have a head start with the best players from the rest of the state, and also do well in adjoining states like NJ, MD, and VA. That IS enough for the basis of a top program.

LOL. It's more than the coach at Ole Miss....

Have to acknowledge the pull of the 'burgh on the locals. I have plenty of family from the area and recognize the loyalty. So long as Pitt is even half-decent, they'll have a good shot at the best players in the WPIAL. With the decline in population of Western PA, that's not really enough to sustain a top program, but they are a factor in their own back yard.

With a coach like Franklin, PSU will have a head start with the best players from the rest of the state, and also do well in adjoining states like NJ, MD, and VA. That IS enough for the basis of a top program.
Agree, but PSU didn't do particularly well in NJ this year.

The KDKA/Pitt partnership made this seem like nothing more than a formality since it was announced. Would've loved to have him. He's a very very good talent. Pitt is riding the HCPN momentum.. good for them. Their gonna need it after we stomp their asses on the own turf in Sept. :D
See you 9.10.16.

Reactions: mcm265
Its simple, close to home, Narduzzi has developed some 1st round DBs in Dennard and the kid who got drafted by the Vikings last year, he has a record of stellar defense, and PSU lost its DC and looked pathetic last year.

Its not that surprising. Pitt has had some outstanding pros over the years like Revis, Fitz, Shady, Donald, Marino, Dorsett...ok a few over a lot of years but most those guys are hall of fame type players.

I'd say last we saw Narduzzi, his D looked pathetic in the bowl game. 600 yards allowed isn't "stellar".

Reactions: m48tank
Look at it this way. As hard as it is, give Pitt there off-season wins. They should be getting ALL Pittsburgh kids if they were that good in both the recruiting and the on field product avenue. We know how that's going. It is laughable on there part to make a big deal out of a kid picking and/or flipping for Pitt over PSU. The sky is not falling and I give Franklin props for what he is doing considering the obvious circumstances.

Reactions: mcm265
First, Hamlin seems like a fine young man and I wish him the best. But I repeat what I have posted several times before. People from Pittsburgh seem to have an unnatural attachment to the city.
Using Hamlin as an example he could have gone to OSU, arguably the top program in the country, it's 2-3 hours from home, played for arguably the best coach in the country, had a great shot of playing on day 1 due to all of their losses, and assuming he is good enough, played 3 years, turned pro and made a ton of money.
Instead he will play in a half empty stadium for a team that will consider an 8-4 season to be a great year with a minor bowl.
I do not think you would see an elite player in NYC choose Rutgers, an elite kid from Atlanta choose GT, or an elite player from Chicago choose NW. Those kinds of things rarely if ever happen. But it does happen with PGH kids all the time. Very odd IMO.
The reason you go to college is to prepare yourself for a successful career. The list of kids from Pittsburgh that attended Pitt and went onto future success is endless. Whether it be on the football field or other endeavors. You may not want to admit it, but it is true.

The reason you go to college is to prepare yourself for a successful career. The list of kids from Pittsburgh that attended Pitt and went onto future success is endless. Whether it be on the football field or other endeavors. You may not want to admit it, but it is true.
Dan Marino does seem to repeatedly gain and lose weight thanks to Nutrisystem. I guess one could call that "success"

Last edited:
With Taylor a rs freshman, and McPhearson a freshman, both are excellent DB prospects, plus the plethora of safety prospects waiting in the wings, betting anther DB is the lease option we need "now." Sure, Hamlin is a special player, but so are Taylor and McPhearson. Just take a look at their offers lists.

We spent so much time recruiting Hamlin and both myself, and half of the board members had a feeling this was another Whitehead situation a year ago. I'm so glad the drama is over with. I would rather get a Jordan Hill or AJ now over 2 or 3 Hamlin's. I just don't see how Hamlin would make us any better with the DB talent we now have, but another DT certainly would or a LB!

, ....why else would Ole Miss have a top 5 recruiting class.

Not sure if serious? ^^^

Honestly - one of the funniest things ever written on this board

Good gracious, I hope for his/her sake he/she was trying to be funny

Ole Miss under investigation for big time violations, so you're saying sPitt should do the same. Good Luck!!

Reactions: Marshall30
Guys, PSU has bigger fish to fry than Pitt. Sure, it will be nice to beat them year in and year out, but let's face it, tOSU,MSU, and MU are really our big targets. Before long, the Pitt game will be just like playing Akron but with a little more drama. Seriously.......

See you 9.10.16.

Sad part is that my sister-in-law is having her wedding that day and I would be going through a very expensive divorce if I chose to skip it for the game. Needless to say, I'm still debating my options. LOL

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT