ADVERTISEMENT

folks that were in St. Louis ... stories, thoughts, etc. ...

Tom McAndrew

May 29, 2001
we are all eyes.

I'd love to read things learned or observed at the social Saturday evening.

dice got the ball rolling, but I hope more of you will post some thoughts now that you've had time to reflect on what you saw/heard/participated in.

thanks in advance,

Tom

...getting 18,000 people through security in an hour is impossible...

...they should open the gates at least 1 1/2 hours

before start of matches - and preferably 2 hours...

...they closed the upper level concession stands when the

evening session started .... when they had the 15 minute break

you had to go downstairs to get a drink...

...they no longer have the parade of former champions...

...oh, well...

agree with the security snafu. it was beyond rediculous. they have to open earlier. also didn't like the new program format re:
players. they used to list alphabetically all wrestlers at each weight class with name,eligibility,conf,school,record,etc. the pictures were nice, but it lacked much information.

We had seven in our crew, usually eight but this year some bonehead scheduled a wedding. All was well until, Thursday morning, the "gentleman" that had all of our tickets realized he left them at home!! We did manage to get them reprinted at the arena but it got the blood flowing for sure.

Lots of great wrestling...Schopp and Garrett falling early...Zeke Moisey...Air Gadsen...Matt Brown to name a few.

Flight out on Sunday cancelled so we all missed work on Monday.

Overall, had a great time. Great food and drinks. Lots of great wrestling. Missouri Athletic Club was very nice. Transportation to and from the arena was very easy. Save for the ticket and airline snafu it would have been close to perfect.

Next year I am looking forward to perfection and kicking some Bucknut Buttocks...WE ARE!!

Overall St. Louis is a great place to hold Nationals. The arena is large enough, the airport is easy to get in and out of. There's plenty of food and hotels available. Mass transportation. Etc. I really like the location and give it a big thumbs up.

But like anything, there's room to improve upon things. Besides what's been mentioned in this thread already, here are a few more:

1. They have about 100 digital displays going, showing updated match scores, etc. But team scores were shown very infrequently. It would be nice if they dedicated at least one display to team scores even if they rotated them in and out while showing other things. Also when they did finally show team scores during a round, they didn't tell you what weight class they were through so you were never sure whether bouts you had just seen were reflected in the scores or not.

2. Lighting in the upper deck is dim at best. It was really hard to read the small type on the bracket sheets for those of us trying to track upcoming matches and fill things in when scores were announced.

3. Usually in the past they've had people checking tickets in each section to make sure people are where they're supposed to be. In general I don't care if people want to skip around and sit in better seats but when a bunch of yahoo's show up in your section that are constantly standing up, talking about things not relevant to wrestling, getting up to use the head, etc. and are right in front of you, it gets old when you know they don't belong there.

4. How many years in a row does PSU have to win the nationals to get better seats? Or maybe we are requesting the upper deck, far corner spot year after year because we like it there? I don't know but when you see Mizzou, OK State, etc. sections in the lower half closer to the mats and we're in the nose bleed section, you gotta wonder what's up.

In terms of the after-finals PSU reception, I'm done with it after this year. I love hearing the coaches and wrestlers talk about the tournament but paying $25 for semi-cold food, having to pay for your own drinks, and eating a "meal" at 11:30pm just isn't working. Now that the finals have shifted back to a later schedule than they were for a while, it would be great if PSU held something between the morning and evening sessions like they used to do years ago. I'm sure a lot of others like it the way it is so I'm probably in the minority but the break in the afternoon is loooong and would be a great time to gather everybody up.

...I think a switch to 4PM finals would be great ...

...waiting 6 hours from consis to finals means you're getting out about 10-10:30 PM and starting your evening festivities about 11PM and then trying to get to the airport for an 8 AM becomes a chore...

...oh, well...

Posted this on the "other" forum...thought there'd be interest...

The Mood

Different than the past 3 years. I don't include 2011, because we were not expected to win, with most thinking we were a year away. Anyway, among the Penn State faithful, who again showed up in big numbers, the expectations of a National Championship just were not the same. Hopeful? Yes, but it was evident early we just didn't have the guns to compete for the team title. All eyes and the rooting was for individuals with an occasional glimpse at the team standings, as much to see how Ohio State, Edinboro, Iowa and others were doing, as how Penn State was faring. Many of my friends said it was still incredibly fun, but maybe a little more relaxing. To them, I say, get ready for next year!!

Injuries

My personal feeling is sadness for all the wrestlers that miss out on their dream because of injuries. Jesse Delgado, Hunter Stieber, Josh Kindig, Ian Miller and Dylan Ness come to mind, but there were others. Jesse couldn't walk off the mat without assistance, Ian showed guts in his match with Realbuto, despite an obviously serious leg injury, Hunter's elbow pain showed in every offensive and defensive move he made, and Dylan couldn't even get his singlet on without obvious pain when he went out to the mat for the 5th place, which he forfeited. Great move, as he earned a standing ovation from much of the arena for 4 years of entertainment. The respect and appreciation for this wrestler, who NoVa calls his favorite non-PSU wrestler, was obvious…I'm glad he went out one last time!

Of course Penn State has faced their share of injuries this year too. It has the potential to change a team's fortunes, and it certainly affects individuals. It's an inevitable part of this brutal sport.

Sportsmanship

It was great to see the sportsmanship. I'll focus on the positive here (though Barry Davis has never moved so quickly, for those that know what this is in reference to). The Ness ovation was heartfelt, as college wrestling will be without one of its most entertaining wrestlers, now that his eligibility is done. J'Den Cox's 2nd handshake and pat on the belly to Snyder after losing in the semi's also stood out. Schopp and Dardanes mutual respect after their Third Place match was obvious, and the Houdashelt / Habat hug after their final's battle was good to see. There were many other instances, like Dean / Brown, etc.

Just an opinion, as I've read several threads over the years from fans that want the "required" handshake removed from the rulebook. To me, it's the essence of this sport. Battle hard for 7 minutes (or more), with the winner and loser congratulating each other, then moving on to battle another day. Running away after losing a match, or jumping off a podium because you didn't get 1st Place is equivalent to a 6 year old child that doesn't get their way and whines and cries…except it's a learning opportunity for the child, who maybe doesn't know better. The wrestler's know better. Rant off.

Our Team

At the social Saturday night, several of the wrestlers spoke. There was a common theme, 1) gratitude for their teammates, 2) gratitude for the fan support, 3) excitement about next year, and 4) immense happiness for Matt Brown. Every Penn State fan should be proud of the way these young men carry themselves and represent our University.

I also talked to several of the wrestlers, and just as in past years, the battle scars were obvious. A slightly black eye, cuts on the cheeks and foreheads, and I can only guess how their knees and shoulders felt. I'm sure they're relieved it's over, so they can get refreshed, heal up, and start the whole process over again.

Overall Tournament

I'll never be an Ohio State fan, but their winning is good for the sport. Seems there's an eastern shift, after 88 years of NCAA Wrestling, with the last 5 champions from this side of the Mississippi. Several teams look to be in great shape next year, with Ohio State and Penn State among them, so the streak may continue.

The wrestling was excellent, again! Upsets galore, with 26 guys earning All-American that were seeded outside the top-8. That's almost 3 per weight class!! And the story of the tourney (other than Matt's Championship) was unseeded Zeke Moisey making the finals. Keep in mind, they're seeding to 16 now, so that's a great accomplishment…and the pin of Gilman was impressive.

Time to start planning for New York City and Madison Square Garden!!

A little late to the thread... But we enjoyed St Louis. The city had much more to offer than OKC. A few gripes (mostly because they'd be so easy to fix).
The running joke was "What seed/class is this kid?" "No idea. It's not in the updates." Such basic info on wrestlers not included in the updates was head scratching.
The "jumbo tron" was just a rather small mass of nothing. Couldn't read the text and lacked anything of importance.
They really need to figure out mat clocks. So many clocks were blocked from the masses for one reason or other. Heck, a semi-final clock/score was obstructed from from view for about 1/3 of the arena. Sure, they had match scores on the mid-level screens around the arena... But none of those had a continuous clock. Ugh.

I too would like to know the atmosphere at the social afterwards... After such a late night last year, in a less safe city, we decided to skip it after it was moved from the Parkway Hotel.

We left St. Louis via cab to get to the airport. On they major highway I look up and see a sign: Visit Historic Ferguson. Are you kidding me?

I have always liked St Louis for nationals.
Is nice long drive for me, good food places and lots of things to do..Buy the metro link pass and can go almost everywhere.
Some years have been luckly to get hotel with in walking distance to Scottrade.

Only problem I had this year was the way to long line to get in with all the secureity they had to do. Need to fix this someway either open earlier or some way get more ways to get in. Other wise is a great place for the event.

Also I always buy them radios so can listen to a important match if I'm watching one that I want to watch..
They are really worth the money.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT