ADVERTISEMENT

foley's friday mailrag

NEPAwolverine

Gold Member
Mar 13, 2012
Foley's friday mailbag.
http://www.intermatwrestle.com/articles/14382

interesting reading, although his anti psu bias showing (again)

his predictions for next year:
psu can't place any individuals in the finals. Not even Mega, Jimmy, Zain, or Morgan (each of who has beaten those he predicted to make the finals)
psu finish fourth. iowa first (yeah, right....as amalone said, iowa won't sniff a NC for a few years)

fine with me. I'ld rather see poor predictions, and better outcomes. As opposed to what Jammenz sees....

at least Foley didn't predict Minnesota to finish in the top 5. Maybe Jammenz shouldn't print the 2016 shirts yet?

His predictions are somewhat lacking

Exhibit A - 149. If anyone just saw the post-Op pic of Hunter Stieber's right elbow - showing a nasty 6-8 inch scar, with similar surgery on his left to follow, they would not be predicting him in finals. Just wrestling a full season will be a huge ask.

Exhibit B - Sorenson at the wrong weight.

Here's the prediction Q&A in its entirety:

Q: Last year I asked a question that you addressed in your April 4 mailbag, which I will ask again this year. Less than week after the 2015 NCAAs have wrapped up, who are your 2015 NCAA finalists at each weight class and your top five team

Foley:
125: Nathan Tomasello (Ohio State) vs. Thomas Gilman (Iowa)
133: Cody Brewer (Oklahoma) vs. Cory Clark (Iowa)
141: Dean Heil (Oklahoma State) vs. Brandon Sorensen (Iowa)
149: Jason Tsirtsis (Northwestern) vs. Hunter Stieber (Ohio State)
157: Isaiah Martinez (Illinois) vs. Ian Miller (Kent State)
165: Alex Dieringer (Oklahoma State) vs. Bo Jordan (Ohio State)
174: Taylor Massa (Michigan) vs. Zach Epperly (Virginia Tech)
184: Gabe Dean (Cornell) vs. Blake Stauffer (Arizona State)
197: J'den Cox (Missouri) vs. Kyle Snyder (Ohio State)
285: Nick Gwiazdowski (North Carolina State) vs. Adam Coon (Michigan)

Top five teams: 1. Iowa 2. Ohio State 3. Ohlahoma State 4. Penn State 5. Cornell

More telling to me was the way he flippantly blew off the question about how Haselrig could win 6 NCAA titles and how he could win a PA state title without a single regular-season match.

This question was a lay-up for a professional. Either Google doesn't work in Chicago or wherever Timmy posted from, or he couldn't be bothered to ask any of his PA friends, or he's not all that serious a journalist.

Some truths are so apparent that even Foley can grasp them.

Some truths are so apparent

Foley also said "I think that taking a look over the past several years you would find
the InterMat's rankings are the most accurate in depicting the
week-to-week landscape"

So I guess you get to pick and choose what you want to believe from that Mailbag.

Re: His predictions are somewhat lacking

Yes, Foley doesn't deserve a read at this point... Does he even follow the sport?

So transparent, Foley's looking for views, plain and simple. Puts Iowa #1 to generate a reaction on their board and Penn State #4 to generate a reaction from us. Zero journalistic integrity; it's all about the clicks.

This post was edited on 4/4 12:50 PM by Flying_Tiger

No way Sorensen can make 141 if anything he might go 157 and Grothus at 149.
As for 141 will be a ? mark. Most likely Carlton since Gross most likely gone.
Maybe even Kemer (sp) if he could cut down and be a true freshman.

Re: Some truths are so apparent

Jammen, since you're the king of saying Cael is just a recruiter -- unlike J Rob who actually coaches **

This year PSU had 2 SRs, 1 JR, and the rest were FR/SO. Only 2 of PSU's starters (Brown and McIntosh) were returning AAs. Minny had 5 SRs who were returning AA. Yet PSU finished ahead of Minny by 8 pts at nationals.

Is that because Cael did more with less, or because J Rob did less with more, or both?

** Link or it didn't happen:

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:01 AM

Certainly no one is arguing that Cael isn't the greatest recruiter
of all time. No one every before in the history of D1 college wrestling
has gotten the number of top ten recruits that he has. Although Ohio
State is now in the running.

PSU's current roster has 9 top ten overall recruits on it.

tOSU is surging with 7 top ten overall on it's roster.

Ok St is staying strong with 6 on it's roster.

Lowly Minnesota and Iowa have only 1 each. And that's in five years of recruiting.

So it is clear as to which teams are winning the recruiting war.

What's also clear from these numbers is which teams are good at coaching and developing talent.

Originally posted by NEPAwolverine:
Foley's friday mailbag.

interesting reading, although his anti psu bias showing (again)

his predictions for next year:
psu can't place any individuals in the finals. Not even Mega, Jimmy, Zain, or Morgan (each of who has beaten those he predicted to make the finals)
psu finish fourth. iowa first (yeah, right....as amalone said, iowa won't sniff a NC for a few years)

fine with me. I'ld rather see poor predictions, and better outcomes. As opposed to what Jammenz sees....

at least Foley didn't predict Minnesota to finish in the top 5. Maybe Jammenz shouldn't print the 2016 shirts yet?
If Foley only flip flopped Iowa and Penn State... he would have made the proper prediction. The dude is
flippy floppy as he said in a later answer....

Q: I know it's early, but looking ahead, Cael has a passel of redshirt freshmen coming in, plus Nico Megaludis and Zain Retherford coming back after redshirt seasons. Looks like one year of laying low has PSU poised to move back up, especially in those weight classes where top Big Ten competition graduates. What are your thoughts?

-- FoxWit99

Foley: I'm not sure what will happen with his class of studs. There is a bevy of talent in State College, but very little of it has been proven on the mat. Should the recruits and redshirts pan out -- and I tend to think a higher-than-normal percentage will -- then the NCAA title could head back to Pennsylvania.

The larger issue at play is just how talented Iowa and Ohio State will be at those same lower weights. Other schools will have incredible lineups as well. Cael is the best coach in the nation, but even he will have a lot of work to do if he's to recapture the NCAA title in 2016.

My answer: Should the recruits (Nolf, Nickals, & Nevills pan out) and REDSHIRTS PAN OUT (Nico and Zain Retherford) if you separate the two groups he was referencing, if that's what he intended to say, (not the best wording). I can guarantee the RED SHIRTS will more than pan out and I have almost equal faith that Jason Nolf, Bo Nickal & Nick Nevills will all have an excellent RS freshman year barring any relapse in the foot injury for NN.

Iowa... NO chance to win the National Title with having to replace five seniors that didn't overachieve at Nationals. Now... Foley expects the green replacements to overachieve & out do their senior predecessors?? WTFrench?? No logic in that belief at all. I don't think Iowa will contend for a title until Cael is gone as coach or Tom Brands can out recruit Cael & company. When heaven comes to earth.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Foley... is full of it. Ohio State next year will contend with Penn State for the title. Penn State's RS freshman will be the story of college wrestling and the rest... won't be Foley's account of the history that will be written.

This post was edited on 4/4 11:49 PM by amalone

which teams are good at coaching and developing talent.

Jefey, if I had only been following wrestling for a few years I would also be impressed at this anomaly.

Re: which teams are good at coaching and developing talent.

Originally posted by jammenz:
Jefey, if I had only been following wrestling for a few years I would also be impressed at this anomaly.
I'd be impressed no matter your years of Minnesota fandom. Cael is cleaning JRob's clock at recruiting. You
won't be able to reproduce those FAKE National Championship tee shirts that adorn the best of the third world
for decades to come and you're okay with that?

So for the years you've been a super, Gopher fan... it's all been about you and the number of years you've been
a fan? You know what's been a bigger anomaly... the Gopher's winning a championship. Matt Brown thanks you
for the championship congrats you bestowed on him... but Matt said... he had the win "locked up" before he entered
the mat.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Mike Evans, is that you?

I do see what you did. When Cael wins with stars, he's a recruiter. When Robinson finishes EIGHTH with stars, it's an anomaly. Not that I'd expect anything more from you.

BTW, I've been following wrestling since the mid-1980s. Not to get into a who's-been-a-fan-longer debate (I hear Lincoln would lose that debate with you). Just pointing out that I'm not a recent bandwagon-jumper like you implied but, as is your MO, are too weaselly to state outright.

Originally posted by El-Jefe:

Mike Evans, is that you?

I do see what you did. When Cael wins with stars, he's a recruiter. When Robinson finishes EIGHTH with stars, it's an anomaly. Not that I'd expect anything more from you.

BTW, I've been following wrestling since the mid-1980s. Not to get into a who's-been-a-fan-longer debate (I hear Lincoln would lose that debate with you). Just pointing out that I'm not a recent bandwagon-jumper like you implied but, as is your MO, are too weaselly to state outright.

Just check out for yourselves how Minnesota did last time they had a senior-dominated squad, in 2008. (and they were coming off a 2007 National Title where they returned nine starters, only graduating Cole Konrad)

Jefe 1, Jammenz 0 (and I like Jammenz...although he owes me an abacus)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT