ADVERTISEMENT

FC: PA state rep wants to name bridge after Paterno

I want to honor Joe as much as anyone, but an obscure PA Turnpike bridge over the Susquehanna River is not a good way to do it. This guy is a state rep and this is the best he can do?

Last edited:
Reactions: springsteen
I wouldn't call it obscure. Traffic count is 32,000 per day. I'm not saying it's a great idea. There are better ways to pay tribute. I would think naming the highway past one of Masser's or Eckel's farms the Joe Paterno Memorial highway would be more fitting. Especially if it was their corporate office.

I'm fine with naming anything after Paterno - including the entire state:). I think the main point of all this is that you may be seeing that some in positions of authority realize Paterno was given a raw deal and want to try to atone for what happened. I try to take some solace in that aspect alone regardless of whether it's a bridge or a building, or whatever.

I find it interesting that it is a politician - who are ultra sensitive to perceptions - that is willing to try and honor Joe, while the university he helped build keeps talking about the "appropriate time" to honor him after shitting all over his good name.

Last edited:
I'm in agreement with you about the naming of the bridge for Paterno, however, if it should occur, it may cause a few other things to be named in Joe's honor. Which then begs the question, if a bridge here, a road there, etc., etc., are named after Paterno, why isn't he more honored by the university he so admirably served for 61 years.

409 Paterno Way as the address for Beaver Stadium would be fitting.

Reactions: fairgambit
I don't care about the bridge naming or not (seems like a minor thing) but I would love to see it simply because it would be a strong signal that it is okay -- and actually should be encouraged -- to honor Joe Paterno. It would be yet another step forward to acknowledge how poorly he was treated and that there is no reason not to honor him.

Reactions: indynittany
I'm in agreement with you about the naming of the bridge for Paterno, however, if it should occur, it may cause a few other things to be named in Joe's honor. Which then begs the question, if a bridge here, a road there, etc., etc., are named after Paterno, why isn't he more honored by the university he so admirably served for 61 years.

409 Paterno Way as the address for Beaver Stadium would be fitting.
I want to honor Joe as much as anyone, but an obscure PA Turnpike bridge over the Susquehanna River is not a good way to do it. This guy is a state rep and this is the best he can do?

If they want to name a bridge after Paterno it should be the Brooklyn, Williamsburg or the Verrazano Narrows Bridge

Even considering anything like this prior to the CSS trials is crazy. Truly crazy.

It's only crazy to people like you and Pitt fans who are convinced that Curley is going to take the stand and start screaming that it was all Paterno and that Paterno was the one who wanted everything swept under the rug. Three and half years and not a single piece of evidence against Paterno. Plus, overwhelming exculpatory evidence for him and you still cling to the hope that the false narrative is true. Man, you are one giant enigma.

Reactions: SteveMasters
"If they want to name a bridge after Paterno it should be the Brooklyn, Williamsburg or the Verrazano Narrows Bridge"

I like your thinking, but if they are going to name a bridge in NYC after Paterno I think the most appropriate would be the Manhattan brigdge, which connects Flatbush Avenue in Brooklyn to Manhattan. As you may recall Paterno lived on Flatbush Avenue:).

Last edited:
Joe Paterno was a quite a humanitarian. If a politician wants to name a landmark for him, I'd say it's a fitting honor.

Please explain.

Because the CSS trials are a key event in this whole saga, and there's a chance a lot of new information (new "truth") comes out in some trials. However, nobody has any idea what that new information or new "truth" is.

Perhaps it's positive (as regards CSS and Joe), perhaps it's negative, perhaps it's neutral.

Look, re-naming a bridge (or re-naming the stadium, or "honoring Joe", et cetera et cetera) RIGHT NOW --- people may say it "is about the truth", but it's really about being among the group that gets to write the history books on this case.

It does seem absolutely silly for any group to be trying to write the history books when a key event in this saga (the CSS trials) has yet to occur.

There's no pleasing some people. The simple fact that this has been proposed as a way to honor Joe is a good thing. Let's just see where it goes.

Because the CSS trials are a key event in this whole saga, and there's a chance a lot of new information (new "truth") comes out in some trials. However, nobody has any idea what that new information or new "truth" is.

Perhaps it's positive (as regards CSS and Joe), perhaps it's negative, perhaps it's neutral.

Look, re-naming a bridge (or re-naming the stadium, or "honoring Joe", et cetera et cetera) RIGHT NOW --- people may say it "is about the truth", but it's really about being among the group that gets to write the history books on this case.

It does seem absolutely silly for any group to be trying to write the history books when a key event in this saga (the CSS trials) has yet to occur.

That doesn't make any sense. Its just as likely if not more that someone like Erickson could be lambasted and the bot didn't hesitate to honor him for what he did, even ignoring his disastrous effects on accreditation and sat scores. Besides, who really cares what defendants say while trying to stay out of jail? The prosecution has already defended Paterno numerous times and said he did everything properly. They aren't going to turn around and trash one of their star witnesses, so why are you and the bot pretending otherwise, especially given how you treated someone like Erickson and his potential liability to the university, let alone past deeds?

It's only crazy to people like you and Pitt fans who are convinced that Curley is going to take the stand and start screaming that it was all Paterno and that Paterno was the one who wanted everything swept under the rug. Three and half years and not a single piece of evidence against Paterno. Plus, overwhelming exculpatory evidence for him and you still cling to the hope that the false narrative is true. Man, you are one giant enigma.
Nope--I agree with Michnittlion on this. I'm 99% sure Joe had nothing to do with this mess, other than reporting it as he should have done. However, there's always the chance.... I think it far better to wait for the entire truth. That's going to take a while.

That doesn't make any sense. Its just as likely if not more that someone like Erickson could be lambasted and the bot didn't hesitate to honor him for what he did, even ignoring his disastrous effects on accreditation and sat scores. Besides, who really cares what defendants say while trying to stay out of jail? The prosecution has already defended Paterno numerous times and said he did everything properly. They aren't going to turn around and trash one of their star witnesses, so why are you and the bot pretending otherwise, especially given how you treated someone like Erickson and his potential liability to the university, let alone past deeds?

The BOT naming a building after Erickson so quickly was dumb --- I sure as hell don't/didn't support that decision (that's one among many BOT decisions I don't agree with).

Anyway, my point remains --- neither you nor I nor anybody else has any idea what could happen in the CSS trial. Given such --- waiting is prudent.

I will say that I find your phrase "who really cares what defendants say while trying to stay out of jail" kind of funny. You have already set up an "excuse" should the defendants say something which you don't necessarily like.

Honestly, I'm not 100% intractably opposed to further naming some PSU building after Joe or PSU "honoring Joe." But doing it NOW is simply silly. The timing isn't even close to correct.

The BOT naming a building after Erickson so quickly was dumb --- I sure as hell don't/didn't support that decision (that's one among many BOT decisions I don't agree with).

Anyway, my point remains --- neither you nor I nor anybody else has any idea what could happen in the CSS trial. Given such --- waiting is prudent.

I will say that I find your phrase "who really cares what defendants say while trying to stay out of jail" kind of funny. You have already set up an "excuse" should the defendants say something which you don't necessarily like.

Honestly, I'm not 100% intractably opposed to further naming some PSU building after Joe or PSU "honoring Joe." But doing it NOW is simply silly. The timing isn't even close to correct.

Actually, we do have a pretty good idea what will be presented, especially as it relates to Joe. Pretending otherwise is to ignore the prosecution's very public statements regarding Joe.

[QUOTE="michnittlion, post: 176838, member: 3524]

It does seem absolutely silly for any group to be trying to write the history books when a key event in this saga (the CSS trials) has yet to occur.[/QUOTE]

The CSS charges are irrelevant. The AG did not implicate Paterno in any crime.

We know our history. The Board of Trustees paid Freeh to rewrite it.

We've had enough of it. Because they won't show us Freeh's evidence to support his "conclusuions" We can "reasonably conclude" that there isn't any such evidence.

The Board needs to apologize to the Paternos, officially reject the Freeh Report, demand our money back, and put everything back where it was.

Nope--I agree with Michnittlion on this. I'm 99% sure Joe had nothing to do with this mess, other than reporting it as he should have done. However, there's always the chance.... I think it far better to wait for the entire truth. That's going to take a while.

Ok. Then you'd be wrong, just like him. Paterno earned the benefit of the doubt after 61 years of service to PSU. The lead Sandusky prosecutor said there was no evidence Paterno was involved in a cover up. Nothing in the "exhaustive" Free report even remotely suggested Paterno was involved in a cover up (please don't tell me about the 2 out of conext emails that he didn't send and there is no proof that he even read). Yet you want to wait until the trials are over to properly honor Paterno because of some phantom chance that someone is going to spill the dirt on Paterno? After three and a half years, and countess opportunities to do so? Well, that doesn't make you a bad person, just wrong.

[QUOTE="michnittlion, post: 176838, member: 3524]

The CSS charges are irrelevant. The AG did not implicate Paterno in any crime.

We know our history. The Board of Trustees paid Freeh to rewrite it.

We've had enough of it. Because they won't show us Freeh's evidence to support his "conclusuions" We can "reasonably conclude" that there isn't any such evidence.

The Board needs to apologize to the Paternos, officially reject the Freeh Report, demand our money back, and put everything back where it was.

Don't bother to argue with mich. He's a Paterno hater and a constant idiot.

Ok. Then you'd be wrong, just like him. Paterno earned the benefit of the doubt after 61 years of service to PSU. The lead Sandusky prosecutor said there was no evidence Paterno was involved in a cover up. Nothing in the "exhaustive" Free report even remotely suggested Paterno was involved in a cover up (please don't tell me about the 2 out of conext emails that he didn't send and there is no proof that he even read). Yet you want to wait until the trials are over to properly honor Paterno because of some phantom chance that someone is going to spill the dirt on Paterno? After three and a half years, and countess opportunities to do so? Well, that doesn't make you a bad person, just wrong.

I am well aware of all of those facts. However, there are far more important battles to fight right now for the heart and soul of this place. Let's focus our energies on those. Not on a stupid bridge. You know Joe would be saying right now "Don't worry about me--worry about Penn State".

I am well aware of all of those facts. However, there are far more important battles to fight right now for the heart and soul of this place. Let's focus our energies on those. Not on a stupid bridge. You know Joe would be saying right now "Don't worry about me--worry about Penn State".

I think it will be a long time before anything is named after Joe - although in the end, there may be several structures named for him. But, it never hurts a politician to get people to talk about him and his ideas.

You're joking, right?

penn-state-abuse.jpg

Even considering anything like this prior to the CSS trials is crazy. Truly crazy.
No it's not and I doubt the others will ever go to triall
The BOT naming a building after Erickson so quickly was dumb --- I sure as hell don't/didn't support that decision (that's one among many BOT decisions I don't agree with).....
The naming of a building after Erickson was 90% about optics and 10% part of his payoff.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT