ADVERTISEMENT

fc no more pre game prayers??? I've never been a big fan of this

Won't you then complain certain players weren't invited to a team event on a Thursday??
no, as everyone would be invited, and they could choose to go or not go. It's not a team event, more like some people have math 001, and some don't.

Plus let's not lose context on this being a thing in football and not baseball/soccer/hockey/basketball, it's because players used to die all too often and still do as a much higher rate than any other sport. So those that are religious want to be in the Lord's good graces before putting their lives on the line. Same as drivers in auto racing.

Newsflash: Teams are composed of individuals who are each unique in their own way. You don't have to totally lose that to be on a team. That's not what being selfless means. Players, coaches, waterboys, etc. who want to pray ARE doing the "religion thing anyway they like" to quote Op2 above. Those who don't want to pray can simply observe a moment of silence or watch the grass grow. Let me ask you this. Coaches want to win, right? If team prayers were so divisive, they wouldn't do them. I'd say they are likely more unifying then divisive. Hence you have team prayers.
There's a time and a place for everything, the locker room/ the field, 30 min before a game, is neither the time nor the place for someone to practice their religion. And if they feel they do, then that should be an individual decision, not a team decision.

There's a time and a place for everything, the locker room/ the field, 30 min before a game, is neither the time nor the place for someone to practice their religion. And if they feel they do, then that should be an individual decision, not a team decision.
Well, then you can't be a Christian or probably a Jew or a Muslim either and play football. In those faiths, practicing that faith is 24/7. Good luck fielding an agnostic / atheist team because you've just ruled out a few billion people for playing football, unless they all go to Notre Dame.

Well- pretty presumptuous of you........deciding that you will tell others the right time for them to pray. ;)

Reactions: Howie'81
Well, then you can't be a Christian or probably a Jew or a Muslim either and play football. In those faiths, practicing that faith is 24/7. Good luck fielding an agnostic / atheist team because you've just ruled out a few billion people for playing football, unless they all go to Notre Dame.
well if it's truly 24/7, they should expand the play clock, tough to get a play called and prayer prayed in 40 seconds!!!

it's the Jews and the Muslims I worry about, because the FCA guys spend all day trying to convert them!!! Ask Debo!

well if it's truly 24/7, they should expand the play clock, tough to get a play called and prayer prayed in 40 seconds!!!

it's the Jews and the Muslims I worry about, because the FCA guys spend all day trying to convert them!!! Ask Debo!
C'mon sluggo. You're a good person and I like your posts, but that's a pretty lame response, don't you think? Practicing the faith doesn't mean you're on your knees 24/7. In Christianity, practicing the faith consists in giving one's life to the service of God and others through Him. Playing football doesn't make one Christian, but a Christian can certainly play football, or drive a fire truck for that matter.

Reactions: LionJim
Well- pretty presumptuous of you........deciding that you will tell others the right time for them to pray. ;)
you are right, I am trying to protect my team mate that does not want to pray like me. When you think about it, we should have the professors in Multivariable Calculus say the Lord's prayer before each and every class. Because surely the professor should want to, as well as the students should want to, after all they knew what they signed up for.

I guess part of it is whether the players are forced to be involved with the team prayer, asked to be involved with a team prayer, or expected to be part of the team prayer.

Not sure if there is a middle ground, but I would think that a coach could ask those that want to pray with him to stay, and the others either find another place to pray or not pray, pray on their own, or simply remain quiet. Perhaps other options are available also.

you are right, I am trying to protect my team mate that does not want to pray like me. When you think about it, we should have the professors in Multivariable Calculus say the Lord's prayer before each and every class. Because surely the professor should want to, as well as the students should want to, after all they knew what they signed up for.

I am not going to lie to you - I took a course in multivariable calculus and I prayed before each exam.

How many people die studying Multivariable Calculus? If it were as many (or had the history of death) associated with football I would say a prayer every time I opened up a Calc book.

C'mon sluggo. You're a good person and I like your posts, but that's a pretty lame response, don't you think? Practicing the faith doesn't mean you're on your knees 24/7. In Christianity, practicing the faith consists in giving one's life to the service of God and others through Him. Playing football doesn't make one Christian, but a Christian can certainly play football, or drive a fire truck for that matter.
and I agree with you, what I don't like is the HC at some school somewhere, looking at his players and asking them if Jesus Christ is their savior. And that happens, more than you think. I don't want my Jewish teammates to feel different because they don't want to participate in the Lord's prayer. If a team wants to have Chapel service 3 hrs before a game or during the week, as HC you should make it available to them, and as HC you should not participate as to not be seen as influencing ones religion. Kinda like they cant take attendance during voluntary work outs.

C'mon sluggo, this is silly. I actually agree with you that I don't think it's a best practice for coaches to be leading prayers. But IMHO, you're going way overboard. These aren't kids, these are men. If they don't want to participate, then don't. Now if the coach has a no pray, no play policy, that should be dealt with immediately by the school. But these aren't impressionable elementary school-aged kids being asked to stay silent while others pray. These are men who are quite capable of making the decision whether to participate in the prayer or not. And you can't be serious when you say that someone saying a prayer in the locker room or the field or 30 minutes before a game is an example of an inapproprite time and/or place for exercising one's religion. Seriously? This isn't someone proselytizing. This is someone praying. I get your distinction between a team prayer and an individual prayer. But above you seem to be saying that even an individual prayer in these settings is inappropriate. So when is it appropriate, in your opinion, for someone to say a prayer? And how do you suggest one might monitor whether someone is saying a prayer at a particular time?

Reactions: Howie'81

If you and your teammate don't want to pray that's absolutely fine- don't. However, you have no right to decide when another teammate who wants to pray is allowed to pray or not. There's a balance that needs to be struck- not dictates from you that no one should be allowed to do something because you don't like it. ;)

If you and your teammate don't want to pray that's absolutely fine- don't. However, you have no right to decide when another teammate who wants to pray is allowed to pray or not. There's a balance that needs to be struck- not dictates from you that no one should be allowed to do something because you don't like it. ;)

I don't think anyone is arguing that people can't pray if they want. The question is where it should an official coach-led thing.

Really? Maybe the Muslims are doing that, but in terms of Christianity, the secular agenda is being shoved down our throats, to use your term, seemingly at every turn.

When was the last time a Secular Humanist, atheist or agnostic knocked on your front door to share with you and your family the glory of reason and understanding through the scientific method?

I don't think anyone is arguing that people can't pray if they want. The question is where it should an official coach-led thing.

Who leads it is irrelevant and read the thread- yes posters are saying when people can and can't pray. I will also add this is an argument here through predominantly "northeastern USA eyes and sensitivities". Those sensitivities and social practices are not the same in all regions of the country (ex- upstate South Carolina vs Manhattan).

and I agree with you, what I don't like is the HC at some school somewhere, looking at his players and asking them if Jesus Christ is their savior. And that happens, more than you think. I don't want my Jewish teammates to feel different because they don't want to participate in the Lord's prayer. If a team wants to have Chapel service 3 hrs before a game or during the week, as HC you should make it available to them, and as HC you should not participate as to not be seen as influencing ones religion. Kinda like they cant take attendance during voluntary work outs.
Okay, on this point that I underlined I'm in agreement with you too. That shouldn't happen. But that's not the same as JoePa saying, "Hey, let's gather round and thank the good Lord for our blessings and to ask his mercies before a game." Even if you don't believe in "the good Lord," you'd be hard pressed to find anyone disagreeing with the sentiment. That's the unifying aspect I mentioned earlier. Done this way, it's not forcing religion down anyone's throats and I think the only ones offended would be those who just somehow are offended by most anything.

When was the last time a Secular Humanist, atheist or agnostic knocked on your front door to share with you and your family the glory of reason and understanding through the scientific method?

Are you serious???? Hell- YOU do it here EVERY chance you get (even when completely inappropriate in a thread about a dying father). Frankly, you alone are FAR more intrusive, preachy, and pushy than any (and all) other religious denominations have ever been at my front door (or anywhere else).

Are you serious???? Hell- YOU do it here EVERY chance you get (even when completely inappropriate in a thread about a dying father). Frankly, you alone are FAR more intrusive, preachy, and pushy than any (and all) other religious denominations have ever been at my front door (or anywhere else).

Amen (pun intended).

No one spouts their religious beliefs on this board more than Felli. I have a few ideas as to why, and none of them are good.

Reactions: psu00
This is true. Or how about the billboards at the Lincoln Tunnel around Christmas time that out and out disparage belief and glorify materialism? That's not proselytizing the atheist agenda?

Reactions: psu00

Oh?!? What did I write that was inappropriate in that thread? Care to share?

"Petition the Lord with Prayer? You can not petition the Lord with Prayer"
Thank you Doors

Amen (pun intended).

No one spouts their religious beliefs on this board more than Felli. I have a few ideas as to why, and none of them are good.

It's quite simple, really. World peace begins with the end of religion, And, that will only be achieved through dialogue. Look at how many people despise me, here, now, b/c I point out the ineffective use of prayer or that a deity never rescued anyone since film/video was invented.

Future generations will loathe your kind and revere mine. You can bank on that. You want a hero, look to those that stood up to the Church during the Renaissance or the Age of Enlightenment.

It's quite simple, really. World peace begins with the end of religion, And, that will only be achieved through dialogue. Look at how many people despise me, here, now, b/c I point out the ineffective use of prayer or that a deity never rescued anyone since film/video was invented.

Future generations will loathe your kind and revere mine. You can bank on that. You want a hero, look to those that stood up to the Church during the Renaissance or the Age of Enlightenment.
Yes, guys who think like you, Marx, and Stalin have brought boocooo peace to the planet.

Oh?!? What did I write that was inappropriate in that thread? Care to share?

You know exactly. Hopefully you read the responses to you from many posters in that thread before the mods deleted your post (and the responding posts by others).

You know exactly. Hopefully you read the responses to you from many posters in that thread before the mods deleted your post (and the responding posts by others).

lol. Mods deleting my response. My response was the only one that made sense. If my dad nearly died, at 56, from complication from pneumonia I'd seriously consider moving him to another hospital. And, what's really comical, you find that response asinine! No wonder we still have wars.

Last edited:
It shouldn't be condoned. People can pray on their own, wherever and however they want to. That's what religious people do anyway.
What if they want to pray on the field before the game? That is "wherever and however they want to".

lol. Mods deleting my response. My response was the only one that made sense. If my dad nearly died, at 56, from complication from cancer I'd seriously consider moving him to another hospital. And, what's really comical, you find that response asinine! No wonder we still have wars.

Your response was inappropriate as evidenced by the responses to you and the mods deleting it. You are comical with a false sense of superiority as that thread showed. Better to remain silent and thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt. ;)

I think world peace will come with the end, or proper treatment, of mental illness......something which you quite clearly, and desperately, need.

Your message is the same BS as every religion. People like you preach anti-religion like a religion thus makes it no different. Remember Christ wasnt a Christian, he was a Jew. I can just as easily say if we all followed his teachings there would be world peace also. You have to be smart enough to see that. Or do I assume to much?

What if they want to pray on the field before the game? That is "wherever and however they want to".
Sure. How do you know they're not already doing that? Praying is not something that is always readily apparent. How many times does a guy sitting on the bench pray that his teammate make his crucial free throw? You see football players on the sidelines holding hands, some kneeling, while the guy lines up for the winning field goal. Are they praying? Probably more than a few. That's the thing about praying, you can do it anytime you want, anywhere you want. I can't vouch for Jewish or Moslem customs, but Christians don't have to get on their knees to pray. At any rate, Matthew 6.5 seems to say, don't pray in a way that people will know you're praying. "And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men."

Reactions: Nittany Ned2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT