ADVERTISEMENT

Earthquake in philly

My house shook for 5 seconds. I actually thought a truck hit my house.
just had a friend who lives in Philly slack message me about it. Apparently, it was pretty big. He thought somebody drove into his house.

I’m at the airport in Philly. The whole concourse shook for about 5-10 seconds. I thought a plane may have bumped into the gate.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
I am about 30 miles East of Lebanon. I never felt an earthquake before but that was scary, about 10 seconds, at first I thought it was my neighbors doing house work haha but it kept going and getting worse.

My neighbor grew up in San Fran and said this was nothing. (but brought back some horrible memories of 1989)

Reactions: The Spin Meister
That was the biggest one that I've ever felt.

Crazy. Didn't feel a thing in my Pennsylvania town.

Experienced two mag-7 earthquakes while stationed in northern Japan in 1978-79. Damnedest thing to see buildings and telephone poles literally swaying and the ground rippling. Scary as hell in fact.

Then for an encore was the Virginia quake of 2011. Richter 5.8. I was in a government building in Maryland on the 9th floor. Everyone departed the premises in haste. Like, this can't be happening...not in freakin' Maryland.

That was pretty cool and we get an eclipse on Monday too. ;)

GKaWwuaXsAAHvPu

Crazy. Didn't feel a thing in my Pennsylvania town.

Experienced two mag-7 earthquakes while stationed in northern Japan in 1978-79. Damnedest thing to see buildings and telephone poles literally swaying and the ground rippling. Scary as hell in fact.

Then for an encore was the Virginia quake of 2011. Richter 5.8. I was in a government building in Maryland on the 9th floor. Everyone departed the premises in haste. Like, this can't be happening...not in freakin' Maryland.
I felt the 2011 Virginia earthquake in my office building in downtown Pittsburgh. It also did some damage to the steps leading down to one of the Steel Plaza Subway Stations by the US Steel Building.

I am about 30 miles East of Lebanon. I never felt an earthquake before but that was scary, about 10 seconds, at first I thought it was my neighbors doing house work haha but it kept going and getting worse.

My neighbor grew up in San Fran and said this was nothing. (but brought back some horrible memories of 1989)
I’m close to you in Somerville in an office trailer. I thought the trailer was being repossessed.

Earthquakes in Philly are apparently more common than Stanley Cups
Seriously though, glad it sounds like everyone is okay

I’m close to you in Somerville in an office trailer. I thought the trailer was being repossessed.
I felt the house shake a little, but I had no clue that it was a quake until I heard it on the news. I am in. the Lehigh Valley.

It's only a matter of time until the climatistas tell us that if we don't do something about climate change this sort of thing is going continue to happen more often.

one thing to note is that the richer scale is not linear. So an 8.0 is not twice as strong as a 4.0, but exponentially stronger.

richter-scale-the-scale-used-to-categorize-the-intensity-of-earthquakes-n.jpg

Yup, as jolting as today's quake may have seemed, the 5.8 Virginia quake in 2011 was fully 10 times stronger.

This will give you some idea of the destructive potential of the 1989 and 1994 quakes in California, both of them in the mid-to-high 6's on the Richter scale.

I'll never forget watching one of them happen on television right before a World Series game between the Giants and A's in 1989:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT