ADVERTISEMENT

Early impact '22 class verses '23 class

Online Persona

Feb 2, 2022
Now the '23 class will have a chance to have it's say but IMO, it doesn't have the opportunity as true freshmen that the '22 class did. Let's look closer.

'22 early impact players:
RBs Singleton (31st overall recruit) and Allen (155th overall recruit) took over and were the top 2 freshmen duo in the country
LB Carter (287th overall recruit) was a freshman all-american
DE Dennis-Sutton (29th overall recruit) was a freshman all-american with good numbers in depth reps
OT Shelton (122nd overall recruit) stepped in and started, playing well when 1st round projection Fashanu went down
QB Allar (32nd overall recruit) took over the backup QB role and played well mostly after the games were in hand
DT Durant (331st overall recruit) earned regular reps in the DL rotation and played well for a freshman
WR Evans (541st overall recruit) earned regular reps in the WR rotation
OG Loane (573rd overall recruit) came in with some injuries and played well, even with a noticeable pancake
Others saw very limited reps

If you look at our transfer additions this year, WR Tinsley did quite well, DE Robinson was perhaps the most disruptive on the DL, and OL Nourzad played well in almost a co-starter role

Now let's evaluate the '23 class opportunities:

Our highest rated recruits are OTs Williams (40th overall recruit), Birchmeier (52nd overall recruit) and Onoh (259th overall recruit) but we seem to be set with OT with Fashanu, Wallace, and Shelton returning. Maybe these guys find a 2nd string role this year?

Next highest ranked position seems to be Safeties Mack (87th overall recruit), Nelson (169th overall recruit), and Washington (170th overall recruit). 2 deep may already be set with Ellis, Reed, Winston, and Wheatley. Not sure how much time these guys get immediately unless one or more is a clear upgrade.

Next highest ranked position seems to be LBs Rojas (86th overall recruit), Keys (266th overall recruit) and Robinson (276th overall recruit). I can see 2nd string roles for one or more of these guys this year but there isn't an opening at the moment with Jacobs, likely King, and Carter projected starters.

TEs Rappleyea (126th overall recruit), Schlaffer (306th overall recruit), and Barnwell (415th overall recruit) are coming into a room that is loaded. I don't know how much time they get at all this year. You'd have to think that they may figure in heavily as sophomores though.

DEs Lyons (257th overall recruit), Mupoyi (386th overall recruit), and Robinson (697th overall recruit) are going to have a difficult time seeing time with a pretty strong 3 deep returning at DE.

OG Donkoh (413th overall recruit) is going to have time to develop with depth at the position this year.

CBs Tracy (442nd overall recruit) and Payne (604th overall recruit) have an outside shot at 2nd string depth but I've heard that Washington (170th overall recruit) may be also starting as a CB.

QB Smolik (729th overall recruit) will by almost default be 3rd string. Let's hope it never comes to that.

WR Taylor (365th overall recruit) would have a shot at depth if he can surpass some of the '22 recruits who have yet to make their mark.

RBs Montgomery (414th overall recruit) and Wallace (892nd overall recruit) will by potentially default be 3rd string. Montgomery is coming off of injury so may not be ready. Maybe Tank keeps his 3rd string reps?

DT Blanding (746th overall recruit) will likely have time to develop as depth above him is more ready.

Now where the '23 inbound impact will come is from the transfers. WRs Cephas (could be WR1) and McClain are likely to take a prominent role and immediate impact. CB Duck is at worst 2nd string and will get lots of game action. Punter Thompson will battle Bacchetta for the starting job.

Overall analysis:

The '22 class was ripe for early impact and did not disappoint. In fact, they absolutely delivered more than we realistically could have expected. But there were holes in our roster that don't exist for 2023. So, I don't know if we see a single 2023 recruit start a game and the vast majority will probably redshirt. This is a product of having a more complete roster. There are some really strong recruits in that '23 class but I think they will have time to develop before they make their mark. Plus, OL may be the top recruited position of this class and that position usually takes time to develop.

However, '23 transfer inbounds will make a huge immediate impact in my estimation. WR was a question mark and we landed 2 studs at the position. CB depth was needed and a strong player was added. Punter, we'll see but that looks like a good addition as well.

Last edited:
Now the '23 class will have a chance to have it's say but IMO, it doesn't have the opportunity as true freshmen that the '22 class did. Let's look closer.

RBs Singleton (31st overall recruit) and Allen (155th overall recruit) took over and were the top 2 freshmen duo in the country
DE Dennis-Sutton (29th overall recruit) was a freshman all-american with good numbers in depth reps
OT Shelton (122nd overall recruit) stepped in and started, playing well when 1st round projection Fashanu went down
QB Allar (32nd overall recruit) took over the backup QB role and played well mostly after the games were in hand
DT Durant (331st overall recruit) earned regular reps in the DL rotation and played well for a freshman
OG Loane (573rd overall recruit) came in with some injuries and played well, even with a noticeable pancake

If you look at our transfer additions this year, WR Tinsley did quite well, DE Robinson was perhaps the most disruptive on the DL, and OL Nourzad played well in almost a co-starter role

Our highest rated recruits are OTs Williams (40th overall recruit), Birchmeier (52nd overall recruit) and Onoh (259th overall recruit) but we seem to be set with OT with Fashanu, Wallace, and Shelton returning. Maybe these guys find a 2nd string role this year?

Next highest ranked position seems to be Safeties Mack (87th overall recruit), Nelson (169th overall recruit), and Washington (170th overall recruit). 2 deep may already be set with Ellis, Reed, Winston, and Wheatley. Not sure how much time these guys get immediately unless one or more is a clear upgrade.

Next highest ranked position seems to be LBs Rojas (86th overall recruit), Keys (266th overall recruit) and Robinson (276th overall recruit). I can see 2nd string roles for one or more of these guys this year but there isn't an opening at the moment with Jacobs, likely King, and Carter projected starters.

TEs Rappleyea (126th overall recruit), Schlaffer (306th overall recruit), and Barnwell (415th overall recruit) are coming into a room that is loaded. I don't know how much time they get at all this year. You'd have to think that they may figure in heavily as sophomores though.

DEs Lyons (257th overall recruit), Mupoyi (386th overall recruit), and Robinson (697th overall recruit) are going to have a difficult time seeing time with a pretty strong 3 deep returning at DE.

OG Donkoh (413th overall recruit) is going to have time to develop with depth at the position this year.

CBs Tracy (442nd overall recruit) and Payne (604th overall recruit) have an outside shot at 2nd string depth but I've heard that Washington (170th overall recruit) may be also starting as a CB.

QB Smolik (729th overall recruit) will by almost default be 3rd string. Let's hope it never comes to that.

WR Taylor (365th overall recruit) would have a shot at depth if he can surpass some of the '22 recruits who have yet to make their mark.

RBs Montgomery (414th overall recruit) and Wallace (892nd overall recruit) will by potentially default be 3rd string. Montgomery is coming off of injury so may not be ready. Maybe Tank keeps his 3rd string reps?

DT Blanding (746th overall recruit) will likely have time to develop as depth above him is more ready.

Now where the '23 inbound impact will come is from the transfers. WRs Cephas (could be WR1) and McClain are likely to take a prominent role and immediate impact. CB Duck is at worst 2nd string and will get lots of game action. Punter Thompson will battle Bacchetta for the starting job.

Overall analysis:

The '22 class was ripe for early impact and did not disappoint. In fact, they absolutely delivered more than we realistically could have expected. But there were holes in our roster that don't exist for 2023. So, I don't know if we see a single 2023 recruit start a game and the vast majority will probably redshirt. This is a product of having a more complete roster. There are some really strong recruits in that '23 class but I think they will have time to develop before they make their mark. Plus, OL may be the top recruited position of this class and that position usually takes time to develop.

However, '23 transfer inbounds will make a huge immediate impact in my estimation. WR was a question mark and we landed 2 studs at the position. CB depth was needed and a strong player was added. Punter, we'll see but that looks like a good addition as well.
Nice work. I expect that Berchmeier will get considerable playing time. A few others will be rotated in. Correct that it will not have the impact of the prior class.

Overall analysis:

Other than in the event of an injury at RB, I believe the position ripe for true freshmen to play is at CB. The staff knows they will lose Dixon and possibly King, Duck and Hardy after the 2023 season so developing the next crew of CB's needs to begin this Spring and during the 2023 season. Obviously Miller is progressing and will get playing time and Franklin and Smith will probably bring in a transfer next off season to play in 2024. But with all th DB talent in the 2023 class I'm expecting 1 or 2 CB's to burn their redshirts in 2023.

Washington and Tracy will have a great opportunity to move towards 2023 playing time this Spring. But I also see King Mack having a great opportunity, as he is reportedly one of the fastest players in the class, possibly the fastest, and is already physically ready for B10 football. The staff may start Mack at CB and he seems like a candidate to play nickel due to his tackling ability and physicality compimenting his speed and coverage skills.

Most believe that Payne will end up at Safety, along with Nelson, but with Reed, Wheatley, Winston and Flowers all likely back for 2024 the more pressing need is at CB, which is why I believe there's a great chance that Washington, Tracy and Mack all get development reps in 2023 games and that 1 or 2 burn their redshirts in 2023 as depth players and special teams regulars.

On the OL developing Birchmeier, Williams and the other 2023 olinemen will be priorities but with all the depth I don't see any of them burning their redshirts unless there are a couple key injuries or one of them is just too good to keep off the field. But with all the returning depth, in addition to players such as Traore and Achumba that have been talked about in the past but have been slowed by injuries, there just doesn't seem to be a need to waste a year of their eligibility in 2023.

Last edited:
Reactions: Online Persona
Other than in the event of an injury at RB, I believe the position ripe for true freshmen to play is at CB. The staff knows they will lose Dixon and possibly King, Duck and Hardy after the 2023 season so developing the next crew of CB's needs to begin during the 2023 season. Obviously Miller is progressing and will get playing time and Franklin and Smith will probably bring in a transfer next off season to play in 2024. But with all th DB talent in the 2023 class I'm expecting 2 or 3 CB's to burn their redshirts in 2023.

Washington and Tracy will have a great opportunity to move towards 2023 playing time this Spring. But I also see King Mack having a great opportunity, as he is reportedly one of the fastest players in the class, possibly the fastest, and is already physically ready for B10 football. The staff may start Mack at CB and he seems like a candidate to play nickel due to his tackling ability and physicality compimenting his speed and coverage skills.

Most believe that Payne will end up at Safety, along with Nelson, but with Reed, Wheatley and Winston all likely back for 2024 the more pressing need is at CB, which is why I believe there's a great chance that Washington, Tracy and Mack all get development reps in 2023 games and that 1 or 2 burn their redshirts in 2023 as depth players and special teams regulars.
Strong analysis. For similar reasons, perhaps Rappleyea or Schlaffer see some time at TE or Williams or Birchmeier see time at OT? We are likely losing at least our starting TE for 2024 and likely both OTs.

Reactions: GregInPitt
Strong analysis. For similar reasons, perhaps Rappleyea or Schlaffer see some time at TE or Williams or Birchmeier see time at OT? We are likely losing at least our starting TE for 2024 and likely both OTs.
Yep, I could see those players getting some reps. But not burning their redshirts.

I'm looking for both Johnson and Warren to go to the NFL after 2023, although it would be great for PSU if Warren wanted to return and make a name for himself as the 2024 starting TE. But with Dinkins and Cross already fighting for 2023 reps at TE behind Johnson and Warren there just doesn't seem to be any need to play any of the freshmen TE's more than 4 regular season games and the bowl game. But it sure will be a loaded TE room in 2023.

It will be interesting to see where Birchmeier ends up going into 2024. Both him and Williams are being started at OT, but with Onoh added and him being a true OT along with Shelton and possibly Williams, the staff may want to get Birchmeier ready to start multiple years at Center. It's been a long time since PSU has had so many options along the oline.....

Other than in the event of an injury at RB, I believe the position ripe for true freshmen to play is at CB. The staff knows they will lose Dixon and possibly King, Duck and Hardy after the 2023 season so developing the next crew of CB's needs to begin this Spring and during the 2023 season. Obviously Miller is progressing and will get playing time and Franklin and Smith will probably bring in a transfer next off season to play in 2024. But with all th DB talent in the 2023 class I'm expecting 1 or 2 CB's to burn their redshirts in 2023.

Most believe that Payne will end up at Safety, along with Nelson, but with Reed, Wheatley, Winston and Flowers all likely back for 2024 the more pressing need is at CB, which is why I believe there's a great chance that Washington, Tracy and Mack all get development reps in 2023 games and that 1 or 2 burn their redshirts in 2023 as depth players and special teams regulars.

On the OL developing Birchmeier, Williams and the other 2023 olinemen will be priorities but with all the depth I don't see any of them burning their redshirts unless there are a couple key injuries or one of them is just too good to keep off the field. But with all the returning depth, in addition to players such as Traore and Achumba that have been talked about in the past but have been slowed by injuries, there just doesn't seem to be a need to waste a year of their eligibility in 2023.
It is a waste to save a redshirt when the majority of players never see a fifth year.

It is a waste to save a redshirt when the majority of players never see a fifth year.
Tell that to Franklin.

If players are not needed to play in a season taking a redshirt gives those players more option to play later in their career. Like in the event of an injury in their 4th season that wipes out half their season but not enough for a redshirt, and then they have a season to come back and play healthy, help the team, and improve their NFL resume.

There won't be playing time for true freshmen at a number of posititions, such as TE, so there will very likely be a good many redshirts.

Tell that to Franklin.

If players are not needed to play in a season taking a redshirt gives those players more option to play later in their career. Like in the event of an injury in their 4th season that wipes out half their season but not enough for a redshirt, and then they have a season to come back and play healthy, help the team, and improve their NFL resume.

There won't be playing time for true freshmen at a number of posititions, such as TE, so there will very likely be a good many redshirts.

"There won't be enough playing time for true freshman...". Like there wasn't enough playing time for Koa farmer and freshman Parsons??? Play the best players. Problem solved.

"...A redshirt gives those players more options to play later in their career.". Problem is that option is usually at a different school if they did not play at the first school. Again, play the best players. If a player can contribute then play them! If players are equal then play the younger player. The younger player has more years and will get better.

"There won't be enough playing time for true freshman...". Like there wasn't enough playing time for Koa farmer and freshman Parsons??? Play the best players. Problem solved.

"...A redshirt gives those players more options to play later in their career.". Problem is that option is usually at a different school if they did not play at the first school. Again, play the best players. If a player can contribute then play them! If players are equal then play the younger player. The younger player has more years and will get better.
I’m quite sure the coaching staff’s plan is to play the best players.

Is that why Koa played ahead of micah parsons?

Barkley was on the bench in the 2015 Temple game. Akeel Lynch and Mark Allen had more carries.

Zach zwinack rode the bench in the 2012 Virginia loss. Senior Derrick day had 20 carries for 40 yds.

Yeah after a year where our offensive identity was defined by 2 true freshmen RBs, a true freshman LB and a true freshman DE became freshman all americans, and other true freshmen became part of the rotation like DT Durant and WR Evans. I mean, come on.

Reactions: AWS1022

Barkley was on the bench in the 2015 Temple game. Akeel Lynch and Mark Allen had more carries.

Zach zwinack rode the bench in the 2012 Virginia loss. Senior Derrick day had 20 carries for 40 yds.
And you have no idea how those players looked in practice, were they able to follow the plans, did they know their assignments…I would say the coaches know better who should play than those of us on the message boards. And no coach whose livelihood depends on winning is going to sit guys they think are the best players.

Yeah after a year where our offensive identity was defined by 2 true freshmen RBs, a true freshman LB and a true freshman DE became freshman all americans, and other true freshmen became part of the rotation like DT Durant and WR Evans. I mean, come on.
But a message board poster can point to a certain game where one player didn’t start and that proves that Franklin doesn’t play the best players.

You're so sure that the freshmen are better than the returning players from the 11-2 2022 season?

Buy a clue.

PSU has lost almost zero players to transfer to other schools that would have been big contributors at PSU. And there will be times when a player doesn't contribute to expectations at PSU and then moves on and matures to contribute somewhere else. Get used to it. It's today's college football.

Buy a second clue.

Franklin wants PSU to win game more than you do and plays the players that he believes will help win games. He plays the players that give him the best chance to win the game that week. Newsflash: experience, minimizing in game mistakes that even many talented freshman are prone to make, contributes to winning football. The coaches do actually watch practice and use that as input to their player particpation plan for each game.

Start a game of "clue"......

Give coaching a try yourself. You'll have a short career.

Last edited:
And you have no idea how those players looked in practice, were they able to follow the plans, did they know their assignments…I would say the coaches know better who should play than those of us on the message boards. And no coach whose livelihood depends on winning is going to sit guys they think are the best players.

Was Koa EVER better than Parsons in the games? Is there even a debate?

The coaches dont always know better. Coaches have feelings and personal attachments which sometimes clouds their judgement.

You're so sure that the freshmen are better than the returning players from the 11-2 2022 season?

Buy a clue.

PSU has lost almost zero players to transfer to other schools that would have been big contributors at PSU. And there will be times when a player doesn't contribute to expectations at PSU and then moves on and matures to contribute somewhere else. Get used to it. It's today's college football.

Buy a second clue.

Franklin wants PSU to win game more than you do and plays the players that he believes will help win games. He plays the players that give him the best chance to win the game that week. Newsflash: experience, minimizing in game mistakes that even many talented freshman are prone to make, contributes to winning football. The coaches do actually watch practice and use that as input to their player particpation plan for each game.

Start a game of "clue"......

Give coaching a try yourself. You'll have a short career.

Who started Koa Farmer ahead of Parsons?
Who had Barkley sitting on the bench vs Temple?
Who had Zach Zwinack sitting vs Virginia while Derek Day had 20 carries for 40 yards?

Now get your shine box!!!

Was Koa EVER better than Parsons in the games? Is there even a debate?

The coaches dont always know better. Coaches have feelings and personal attachments which sometimes clouds their judgement.
When Parsons didn’t even know how to play the position, it was better to play someone who knew where he was supposed to be. And coaches do have feelings and personal attachments, but not to the point where they’re playing worse players over better ones.

Who had Zach Zwinack sitting vs Virginia while Derek Day had 20 carries for 40 yards?

Most freshmen don’t start on day one especially when you have an experienced player in that position….even Trevor Lawrence didn’t start til week three or four. Starting Barkley in game 2 is actually ahead of the curve for most coaches.

Same old stupidity re-posted.

No one but you believes you have a clue.

Get used to it.

Give your brainstorms to the coaches, and they'll laugh at you too!

Overall analysis:

I just hope Rojas can contribute like Carter.

The Zack comment is odd. He was on the first O'Brien team for that UVA game so if a shot at Franklin it is misplaced. Day and Belton being injured is what gave Zack his break.I'm not sure Day even was on scholarship. ZZ was the 2nd string fullback after tearing up his knee his frosh year and playing sparingly his 2nd year.

He was our breakout rb is 2013...but not because of some senior bias or unwillingness to play him. Curtis Dukes got a lot of carries in first 3 games as did Zordich. Zack hit it vs Teme and kept rumbling. He got lost a bit the following year under Bill O and then got injured halfway through his senior year under Franklin- who had cut his playing time ( which may have been your intended cut?)

Dude is a warrior and a great representative of the resiliency of the first sanction year. I can still see him running downhill late against Nebraska and Wisconsin.

The Zack comment is odd. He was on the first O'Brien team for that UVA game so if a shot at Franklin it is misplaced. Day and Belton being injured is what gave Zack his break.I'm not sure Day even was on scholarship. ZZ was the 2nd string fullback after tearing up his knee his frosh year and playing sparingly his 2nd year.

He was our breakout rb is 2013...but not because of some senior bias or unwillingness to play him. Curtis Dukes got a lot of carries in first 3 games as did Zordich. Zack hit it vs Teme and kept rumbling. He got lost a bit the following year under Bill O and then got injured halfway through his senior year under Franklin- who had cut his playing time ( which may have been your intended cut?)

Dude is a warrior and a great representative of the resiliency of the first sanction year. I can still see him running downhill late against Nebraska and Wisconsin.
2012 breakout...

It wasn't a shot a Franklin. It was another example of a player who should have been playing but was sitting! Day wasn't on scholarship. Why did Day get 20 carries for 40 yds while zwinak had 0? Was day better than zwinak? Zwinak finished the season with 1000 yards. ZZ was a warrior and warriors should play the first three games.

Last edited:
When Parsons didn’t even know how to play the position, it was better to play someone who knew where he was supposed to be. And coaches do have feelings and personal attachments, but not to the point where they’re playing worse players over better ones.
Except koa didn't know. When he did know he couldn't make the tackle.

If they wanted to work Parsons in then do it at DE and turn him loose on the QB. Cowboys probably should have drafted Koa. Sarcasm

It wasn't a shot a Franklin. It was another example of a player who should have been playing but was sitting b! Day wasn't on scholarship. Why did Day get 20 carries for 40 yds while zwinak had 0? Was day better than zwinak? Zwinak finished the season with 1000 yards. ZZ was a warrior and warriors should play the first three games.
Gotcha. Yeah...Bill tried all kinds of weird stuff to try and get higher performance/competition and Day may have performed the best in pre season? Or maybe he was a "message" that ANYONE can get on the field? Run - ons etc. He didn't play much after he was healthy.

Remember Gerald Hodges returning punts? That lasted less than the Ohio game when he fumbled one off his facemask.

ZZ came out of nowhere that year...had been highly recuited as a fullback but was healing/unknown. I don't remember hearing raves from reporters or posts here about Scout team heroics. Possibly Bill revised our scheme after Temple to utilize his power? I was at the Navy game which was Billy's first win with us and ZZ was maybe a late garbage time player. The next week he plays well vs Temple. Two more weeks we are selling 28 jerseys : )

I ended up watching his highlights last night...good memories of a rough period. Legend!

Except koa didn't know. When he did know he couldn't make the tackle.

If they wanted to work Parsons in then do it at DE and turn him loose on the QB. Cowboys probably should have drafted Koa. Sarcasm
Gotcha. Yeah...Bill tried all kinds of weird stuff to try and get higher performance/competition and Day may have performed the best in pre season? Or maybe he was a "message" that ANYONE can get on the field? Run - ons etc. He didn't play much after he was healthy.

Remember Gerald Hodges returning punts? That lasted less than the Ohio game when he fumbled one off his facemask.

ZZ came out of nowhere that year...had been highly recuited as a fullback but was healing/unknown. I don't remember hearing raves from reporters or posts here about Scout team heroics. Possibly Bill revised our scheme after Temple to utilize his power? I was at the Navy game which was Billy's first win with us and ZZ was maybe a late garbage time player. The next week he plays well vs Temple. Two more weeks we are selling 28 jerseys : )

I ended up watching his highlights last night...good memories of a rough period. Legend!
Zwin didn’t start earlier because he never had break away speed. And coaches, especially one coming from the NFL. worship speed. A back that can break a long TD run changes games….see Singleton. Zwin was a great possession back that gave you consistent yardage. And his fought style fighting for,every yard fires up both fans and the team….especially the lineman who love blocking for a guy like that. But coaches want game changer.

Somewhere around game seven he broke a bone in his wrist or arm. Played with a cast but cut into his numbers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT