ADVERTISEMENT

Don't shoot the messenger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
And to add: if the kid wants to be gone they should just let him go. He may be a great wrestler but the drama is really not worth it nor is it good for team chemistry. Good luck to him if he goes to RU and I hope he puts that ring in a good place cause he won't see another one for a while. Don't know about you but I'm over it already. Lol

Who's up next??
Agree, however it is quite possible that the kid has not asked for a formal release. Obviously Cael is not kicking him off the team, hence the holding pattern here. Looks like Suriano has to decide what he wants to do, stay at PSU or transfer to Rutgers with the probability that he will lose a year of eligibility. Of course this is all being decided through third parties between Suriano and the Rutgers staff (RU staff cannot be that stupid to talk directly to the Surianos), also highly unlikely that the B1G has even been approached about a waiver on the lose of an eligibility year...we all know how easy it is to screw up the telephone game and how dealing in hypotheticals can turn out.

If Suriano leaves, PSU will be just fine, opens up opportunities for someone else. Anybody know if Teske/Glory and PSU have a mutual interest?

Agree, however it is quite possible that the kid has not asked for a formal release. Obviously Cael is not kicking him off the team, hence the holding pattern here. Looks like Suriano has to decide what he wants to do, stay at PSU or transfer to Rutgers with the probability that he will lose a year of eligibility. Of course this is all being decided through third parties between Suriano and the Rutgers staff (RU staff cannot be that stupid to talk directly to the Surianos), also highly unlikely that the B1G has even been approached about a waiver on the lose of an eligibility year...we all know how easy it is to screw up the telephone game and how dealing in hypotheticals can turn out.

If Suriano leaves, PSU will be just fine, opens up opportunities for someone else. Anybody know if Teske/Glory and PSU have a mutual interest?

Can't image going from 15,000 fans at BJC to what?? 100 home fans. Lol.

If Nick is unhappy at PSU he wouldn't be the 1st kid who wanted to transfer.

What I don't get is the why the incredible desire to transfer to of all places Rutgers? They are a bottom tier big ten program, would offer him very few high end training partners and have never produced an NCAA champ. On top of that you have the whole issue with the big ten transfer rules. Other than proximity to his home they offer very little from a wrestling stand point.

If he wants out there are plenty of non big ten schools he could transfer to, even without at release, and still have 3 years left without question.

Off the top of my head...
Lehigh- redshirt year training with Cruz, then 3 years as starter.
V-tech- Molinaro is someone he is already familiar with (jersey guy too). Dance is around to work with.

Reactions: JBott and Dogwelder
If Nick is unhappy at PSU he wouldn't be the 1st kid who wanted to transfer.

What I don't get is the why the incredible desire to transfer to of all places Rutgers? They are a bottom tier big ten program, would offer him very few high end training partners and have never produced an NCAA champ. On top of that you have the whole issue with the big ten transfer rules. Other than proximity to his home they offer very little from a wrestling stand point.

If he wants out there are plenty of non big ten schools he could transfer to, even without at release, and still have 3 years left without question.

Off the top of my head...
Lehigh- redshirt year training with Cruz, then 3 years as starter.
V-tech- Molinaro is someone he is already familiar with (jersey guy too). Dance is around to work with.
I think it's BS. If I see something official I will believe it. Nick is very very close to the staff and other wrestlers at PSU.

By my calculations . . . We're on track to have this Suriano transfer rumor figured out in another page or so.

Oops, guess I was off by a page . . . or 17.

michael-richards-seinfeld-racist-rant-400x300.jpg

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
I hope his is not a case of "Nick wants to be at PSU but his dad is meddling and thinks he knows more about college wrestling than Cael Sanderson."

Well.....Mr suriano might be the unstoppable force to cael's unmovable object

If the kid wants to transfer,there could be other variables we as fans have no idea that might be influencing his reason for wanting to leave. It could be academics, family and/or illness. I had a daughter accept to attend Ithaca on big scholarship and 10 days before start of school she decided to go to East Stroudsburg because her grandfather was very ill.
Sometimes the wrestling community loses sight that life is more than 7 minutes on the mat.

Reactions: Gebmo and tikk10
If the kid wants to transfer,there could be other variables we as fans have no idea that might be influencing his reason for wanting to leave. It could be academics, family and/or illness. I had a daughter accept to attend Ithaca on big scholarship and 10 days before start of school she decided to go to East Stroudsburg because her grandfather was very ill.
Sometimes the wrestling community loses sight that life is more than 7 minutes on the mat.

If he wants to transfer to be closer to family and friends that is totally understandable. But than, he should take his medicine and lose the year of eligibility if it's that important. Don't accuse the psu staff of mishandling an injury to try and manipulate the BIG transfer rules.

Rutgers had the 5th oe 6th highest home attendance last season. I would imagine that this year they have a shot to be 4th as they have a great home schedule

To the extent you guys care, Rutgers was 5th in attendance the last 2 years. Last year we averaged 4,700, boosted by the match against Princeton at the football stadium (17,000). I'd say there were between 2,000 and 3,000 in the stands for the regular duals against a less than stellar B1G schedule of Illinois, Purdue, Indiana, and Northwestern. We also had Oregon State OOC.

We have about 1,200 season ticket holders, and there is a huge push to get that over 2,000 this year, with a donor pledging $125 for every season ticket sold over 1,200. Obviously between that and the ridiculous home schedule we have we are hoping to crush the prior attendance mark this year. (We also have another stadium match this year - which seems to now be a necessity for boosting attendance figures if anyone other than PSU or Iowa wants to get into the top 5 of attendance.)

Its not BJC or CH, but really, nowhere is. Maybe someday. Our mediocre basketball arena actually makes a pretty kick ass wrestling facility. As a RU wrestling donor and supporter...I am proud of how far we have come in a relatively short time. 7 years ago, we weren't even using the basketball arena - we were in the gym in front of 200 people.

Conjecture and supposition alive and well here (on this forum), though the involved parties must focus on facts...let the drama for others.

Conjecture and supposition alive and well here (on this forum), though the involved parties must focus on facts...let the drama for others.
One the one had I see enough posters whose histories I trust suggesting Nick would prefer to be elsewhere, and I'm willing to credit that much of the story, but on the other hand I've yet to hear a reliable, consistent take as to the reasons of the discontent so I'll dismiss all that until I hear from PSU or Nick.

Reactions: slushhead
One the one had I see enough posters whose histories I trust suggesting Nick would prefer to be elsewhere, and I'm willing to credit that much of the story, but on the other hand I've yet to hear a reliable, consistent take as to the reasons of the discontent so I'll dismiss all that until I hear from PSU or Nick.

Are you kidding?! You'll take those multiple posters' word over that of spyker? I mean, 2 people at Rec Hall laughed at him when he asked. Wait a minute . . . only 2 people laughed at him . . . something isn't adding up here.

Again, if Suriano wants out so badly, why not transfer to Rider or Lehigh. Still close to home, no chance he loses a year of eligibility and PSU cannot stop it. Lehigh is a probably a better program than Rutgers. But that makes too much sense.

How much did the stadium match account for?
Even without the stadium match their attendance would be among the top six or seven teams in the country - basically on par with Minnesota and Iowa State. And their home schedule was not the greatest last year.

Their fanbase in terms of wrestling is very good. Not PSU, Iowa good, but I'd expect them to be in the next tier for the foreseeable future now that they are in the B1G. Jersey guys like them some wrestling.

Again, if Suriano wants out so badly, why not transfer to Rider or Lehigh. Still close to home, no chance he loses a year of eligibility and PSU cannot stop it. Lehigh is a probably a better program than Rutgers. But that makes too much sense.
maybe he wants to wrestle a big 10 schedule?

What is known is that he isn't in the room right now and that's the point. Unless I am mistaken even the new recruits are in the room now. Of course that's naturally going to lead to confusion and conjecture. Unfortunately for us fans facts are few and far between right now in the offseason. The irony is that the staff seem to intentionally keep a tight lid on the facts to avoid this but here were are 21 pages and counting. I guess in their defense it's fair to say maybe they don't know either. But in all this is a warning to all of us fans with a roster so deep. They won't be able to keep all these guys happy all the time and it's only a matter of time before this happens when they will lose some top talent. They could even potentially lose a guy that ends up being a national champ with another team. For me it's disappointing to even consider that a guy on this team would believe the grass is greener elsewhere than PSU. I just hope he knows what he's doing along with whoever his inner circle is that support him. Nick on his instagram page seems like he is at a crossroad and with that comes all consequence of making a huge decision that will change the rest of his life. Trust me as a father of a 23 yr old who has experienced his share of ups and downs with this kind of thing none of this is easy. In any case I do wish the young man well, my optimistic thought is perhaps his PSU teammates can help sway him before he leaves or the coaches decide to move on.

Reactions: dnit and fronk71
I think it has as much to do with a fighting career after college as it does wrestling. I know nothing about MMA or clubs... just what I'm hearing. I will hold to my opinion it's very likely Suriano is transferring, to the point I'd be very surprised if he doesn't.

Reactions: osumack
If he leaves, do we go with someone on the team or is there a chance someone transfers in this late in the cycle? Hopefully won't have to think about it but just for discussions sake..

I think it has as much to do with a fighting career after college as it does wrestling. I know nothing about MMA or clubs... just what I'm hearing. I will hold to my opinion it's very likely Suriano is transferring, to the point I'd be very surprised if he doesn't.

not doubting you, but if that is the case, it is moronic IMO

plenty of time to train for MMA after college, but while still in college and wrestling, to leave the best room in the country makes no sense.

Rutgers had the 5th oe 6th highest home attendance last season. I would imagine that this year they have a shot to be 4th as they have a great home schedule

Attendance at Rutgers home matches is greatly exaggerated. If you eliminate the football crowd, here is the actual attendance:

Illinois 2,552
Oregon State 2,251
Purdue 2,595
Indiana 2,130
Northwestern 2,527

http://www.scarletknights.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=91

Last edited:
Just think....If Suriano doesn't transfer, we'll get to talk about this same issue all over again next summer when it rears it's ugly head again. Can't wait. :rolleyes: Anyone want to start next year's transfer thread now??

To the extent you guys care, Rutgers was 5th in attendance the last 2 years. Last year we averaged 4,700, boosted by the match against Princeton at the football stadium (17,000). I'd say there were between 2,000 and 3,000 in the stands for the regular duals against a less than stellar B1G schedule of Illinois, Purdue, Indiana, and Northwestern. We also had Oregon State OOC.

We have about 1,200 season ticket holders, and there is a huge push to get that over 2,000 this year, with a donor pledging $125 for every season ticket sold over 1,200. Obviously between that and the ridiculous home schedule we have we are hoping to crush the prior attendance mark this year. (We also have another stadium match this year - which seems to now be a necessity for boosting attendance figures if anyone other than PSU or Iowa wants to get into the top 5 of attendance.)

Its not BJC or CH, but really, nowhere is. Maybe someday. Our mediocre basketball arena actually makes a pretty kick ass wrestling facility. As a RU wrestling donor and supporter...I am proud of how far we have come in a relatively short time. 7 years ago, we weren't even using the basketball arena - we were in the gym in front of 200 people.

Can you get them to stop playing rap and hip hop at ear-splitting volume before the matches begin at the RAC? I'd re-up my season ticket if you did and you would get $125 for doing so. :)

OT. I was in grad school at Rutgers for one of the two years the Nets played their NBA home games at the RAC. Wound up with courtside seats for the second halves of games on many occasions - for the princely sum of $2.50 per game.

Reactions: Ole Cabbagehead
Can't image going from 15,000 fans at BJC to what?? 100 home fans. Lol.

In their defense here, I think they have a decent program and they get a pretty large crowd. They're also probably in the top 6-7 in the B1G. It's just that with PSU, OSU, Iowa, and UM, and NE they won't be higher than 6th in most years. I'm not knocking their program.

Honestly, I think most here already knew this, well about the crowd size anyway. That poster was likely being sarcastic.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
The only thing stopping him is losing a year of wrestling which in and of itself is idiotic. Not sure I understand the rationale for that from B 10.

I think the rationale is they don't want larger, more successful programs raiding and plundering rosters of less successful programs within the conference. Imo, that is a valid position.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Whether he transfers or not. He's not in the room and that can't make the coaches happy. Like they've said they want guys that love wrestling. I don't think any coach in any sport would find that acceptable unless it's for a real good reason such as injury. I don't think MMA would be a qualifying reason. By the way...maybe he didn't get to see what happened to Pico? Hey I'm not judging that's an incredibly tough sport but if that's what is in his heart now then that's likely what he will end up doing.

At some point very soon whatever the reason truly is that he's not there the coaches will likely move on to other guys they can count on to be at practice and want to be part of the team.

Reactions: Jda24 and lyndj
maybe he wants to wrestle a big 10 schedule?

Well, we all want a lot things but sometimes that isn't how things go. If he is unhappy, he should leave, period. It's not his his best interest or any of the PSU staff, wrestlers interest to have a miserable kid in the room. Trying to game the system to keep a year of eligibility should be the least of his concerns, if that's the reasons for the delay.

Nick on his instagram page seems like he is at a crossroad and with that comes all consequence of making a huge decision that will change the rest of his life.
Which of his Instagram posts leads you to believe this? The pic at Yankee Stadium? The weight room selfie? Or him sitting on a wall at the shore?

Those are his only 3 recent posts. And the comments in all 3 are benign. Meanwhile, his Instagram profile pic is still him in a PSU singlet.

This is the definition of inventing drama.

Any chance this whole mess has to do with the PSU coaches not being "MMA" guys? Nick wants to train MMA and wrestling and our coaches are not down with that?

Can you get them to stop playing rap and hip hop at ear-splitting volume before the matches begin at the RAC? I'd re-up my season ticket if you did and you would get $125 for doing so. :)

OT. I was in grad school at Rutgers for one of the two years the Nets played their NBA home games at the RAC. Wound up with courtside seats for the second halves of games on many occasions - for the princely sum of $2.50 per game.
As a Rutgers season ticket holder I couldn't agree with you more. Such a pain in the a$$.

Reactions: matter7172
Attendance at Rutgers home matches is greatly exaggerated. If you eliminate the football crowd, here is the actual attendance:

Illinois 2,552
Oregon State 2,251
Purdue 2,595
Indiana 2,130
Northwestern 2,527

http://www.scarletknights.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=91

Which still leaves them around 7th in the country with a very weak home schedule. No PSU, no Iowa, no tOSU, no Minnesota. They will be at least 5th this year. Is anyone downgrading OSU's attendance as it was bumped up by hosting PSU for the National Duals?

What is known is that he isn't in the room right now and that's the point. Unless I am mistaken even the new recruits are in the room now. Of course that's naturally going to lead to confusion and conjecture. Unfortunately for us fans facts are few and far between right now in the offseason. The irony is that the staff seem to intentionally keep a tight lid on the facts to avoid this but here were are 21 pages and counting. I guess in their defense it's fair to say maybe they don't know either. But in all this is a warning to all of us fans with a roster so deep. They won't be able to keep all these guys happy all the time and it's only a matter of time before this happens when they will lose some top talent. They could even potentially lose a guy that ends up being a national champ with another team. For me it's disappointing to even consider that a guy on this team would believe the grass is greener elsewhere than PSU. I just hope he knows what he's doing along with whoever his inner circle is that support him. Nick on his instagram page seems like he is at a crossroad and with that comes all consequence of making a huge decision that will change the rest of his life. Trust me as a father of a 23 yr old who has experienced his share of ups and downs with this kind of thing none of this is easy. In any case I do wish the young man well, my optimistic thought is perhaps his PSU teammates can help sway him before he leaves or the coaches decide to move on.

That would fly more if he wasn't already a starter and, as you can see, there is no issue with those kids announcing their transfer.

Whether he transfers or not. He's not in the room and that can't make the coaches happy. Like they've said they want guys that love wrestling. I don't think any coach in any sport would find that acceptable unless it's for a real good reason such as injury.
(snip)
At some point very soon whatever the reason truly is that he's not there the coaches will likely move on to other guys they can count on to be at practice and want to be part of the team.
Pretty sure the coaches gave Morgan latitude about traveling home in the offseason, especially earlier in his PSU career.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT