ADVERTISEMENT

Does anybody really care about Prime and Colorado?

If so, can anybody tell me why they care?
Because he's considered one of the greatest corners, if not players, in the history of the NFL who had success at the FCS level who came in with a plan at Colorodo. Some want to see it work. Others want him to feel. Not difficult to understand. People should care about all programs as any being successful impacts the program you root for.

I personally think he is a fraud taking Jackson St for a ride after “God led him there.”

Reactions: LongJakk
Loved him in college and agree, was one of the best corners ever in the NFL. An absolute incredible athlete.

What I don't like ... going forward I will have trouble giving any coach credit for succeeding with one of the best teams money can buy. At least before, you recruited and developed players and they worked out or not. Your coaching staff did that--you did all the work--reaped what you sowed.

Nowadays, schools are developing and molding youngsters into really good players and then other schools are scooping them up. And yes, big time tampering is going on to make a lot of that happen. At least in the NFL, the salary cap and tampering penalties kind of helped balance things out--even up the playing field. The NCAA is hard broke and Deion is milking it to the max.

So no ... not a fan of dumping over half of an existing team and then buying a nearly brand new one. Doesn't say much except he's at a school now that's willing to totally prostitute themselves to get ahead. That part sours my stomach. I've never been a "win at any cost" kind of dude. Am I cheering for or will I be a fan of Colorado ... just not going to happen.

Will he succeed? Nowadays ... most all schools with big money will. Doesn't mean he's a great coach ... just means he's leading the best team his school's NIL machine can buy. Kinda like Georgia, Bama and the SEC--great deep teams with outstanding players. Frankly, most coaches at the D1 level would succeed with those rosters.

So yeah ... I'm totally for all schools being successful. But apparently that's not going to happen anymore without controls in place to keep the playing field level.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Loved him in college and agree, was one of the best corners ever in the NFL. An absolute incredible athlete.

What I don't like ... going forward I will have trouble giving any coach credit for succeeding with one of the best teams money can buy. At least before, you recruited and developed players and they worked out or not. Your coaching staff did that--you did all the work--reaped what you sowed.

Nowadays, schools are developing and molding youngsters into really good players and then other schools are scooping them up. And yes, big time tampering is going on to make a lot of that happen. At least in the NFL, the salary cap and tampering penalties kind of helped balance things out--even up the playing field. The NCAA is hard broke and Deion is milking it to the max.

So no ... not a fan of dumping over half of an existing team and then buying a nearly brand new one. Doesn't say much except he's at a school now that's willing to totally prostitute themselves to get ahead. That part sours my stomach. I've never been a "win at any cost" kind of dude. Am I cheering for or will I be a fan of Colorado ... just not going to happen.

Will he succeed? Nowadays ... most all schools with big money will. Doesn't mean he's a great coach ... just means he's leading the best team his school's NIL machine can buy. Kinda like Georgia, Bama and the SEC--great deep teams with outstanding players. Frankly, most coaches at the D1 level would succeed with those rosters.

So yeah ... I'm totally for all schools being successful. But apparently that's not going to happen anymore without controls in place to keep the playing field level.
Hasn't the highest level of college football always been the haves vs the have not? It's why it needs to be broken up into tiers honestly

And the comment about Georgia isn't really fair. Nor Bama. Bama was a disaster for years before they added Shula and Smart took Georgia to another level. Coaching still greatly matters. See A&M trying to buy success and flopping. Texas too.

I have no use for Sanders. He's a self promoting pimp. He's been successful in one area: he's got people calling him Prime. His ego loves that.

I see a disaster coming at Colorado. It couldn't happen to a more worthy guy.

I never cared for him as a player -- he's one of the worst tackling DBs ever. Super talented athlete, obviously.

I didn't care for his coaching stint at JSU. He talked up how great HBCU's are then fled after two years to P5. His whole "HBCU athletes are disrespected by the NFL" platform is ridiculous. The NFL finds talent where ever it is (and it's not like it's a racial thing, as is obvious by NFL rosters). The only reason HBCU athletes might not get the same attention is because it is obvious they do not play against the same level of competition as P5 programs. So you can look great against Howard, but look mediocre against top tier talent.

As for what he is doing at Colorado, time will tell if he succeeds. My guess that the guys he brought with him from JSU are in for a rude awakening (see paragraph above) and will take at least a year to adjust to P5 size, speed, strength, talent. I am also not a fan of his roster management. Openly cutting guys who were obvious contributors (including some legacy players) doesn't sit well with me. If his "experiment" doesn't work, Colorado is going to be screwed for a long, long time.

I never cared for him as a player -- he's one of the worst tackling DBs ever. Super talented athlete, obviously.

I didn't care for his coaching stint at JSU. He talked up how great HBCU's are then fled after two years to P5. His whole "HBCU athletes are disrespected by the NFL" platform is ridiculous. The NFL finds talent where ever it is (and it's not like it's a racial thing, as is obvious by NFL rosters). The only reason HBCU athletes might not get the same attention is because it is obvious they do not play against the same level of competition as P5 programs. So you can look great against Howard, but look mediocre against top tier talent.

As for what he is doing at Colorado, time will tell if he succeeds. My guess that the guys he brought with him from JSU are in for a rude awakening (see paragraph above) and will take at least a year to adjust to P5 size, speed, strength, talent. I am also not a fan of his roster management. Openly cutting guys who were obvious contributors (including some legacy players) doesn't sit well with me. If his "experiment" doesn't work, Colorado is going to be screwed for a long, long time.
This is basically fair but is it worse "openly cutting guys" as opposed to just running them off?

What if the experiment does work? And if it doesn't work are they going to be any worse than they were before he arrived?

You can hype up HBCU and still leave for a better job. That's the only criticism I don't believe is remotely fair

This is basically fair but is it worse "openly cutting guys" as opposed to just running them off?

What if the experiment does work? And if it doesn't work are they going to be any worse than they were before he arrived?

You can hype up HBCU and still leave for a better job. That's the only criticism I don't believe is remotely fair
Depends how you mean "running them off". There are guys who are stuck as third string their entire careers who coaches have conversations with like "You are good enough to play college ball, but you aren't going to get to here. We'd be happy to help you find somewhere else to land" vs guys who played a lot last year (and contributed) who "Coach Prime" told to hit the bricks.

Regarding HBCU, IIRC he spoke up for how those programs need more resources, how important they are to black athletes, and how much he believed in the experience. He believed in it so much he bolted after 2 years and is poaching HBCU kids to a P5 program.

Depends how you mean "running them off". There are guys who are stuck as third string their entire careers who coaches have conversations with like "You are good enough to play college ball, but you aren't going to get to here. We'd be happy to help you find somewhere else to land" vs guys who played a lot last year (and contributed) who "Coach Prime" told to hit the bricks.

Regarding HBCU, IIRC he spoke up for how those programs need more resources, how important they are to black athletes, and how much he believed in the experience. He believed in it so much he bolted after 2 years and is poaching HBCU kids to a P5 program.
He basically told everyone that left Colorado other than about 5 they weren't going to play. Contributing a lot on a horrible team doesn't make mean you'll contribute now as he finds better athletes. I know everyone has different approaches and that's fine but I'd rather a coach run a kid off then keep someone around they don't want. That's not good for either party

But he left because of the lack of resources which supports his stance.

I'm not a fan of him. Never have been. But a lot of the criticism seems unwarranted. Coaches always hype their current program then many leave. That's what you do to recruit.

He basically told everyone that left Colorado other than about 5 they weren't going to play. Contributing a lot on a horrible team doesn't make mean you'll contribute now as he finds better athletes. I know everyone has different approaches and that's fine but I'd rather a coach run a kid off then keep someone around they don't want. That's not good for either party

But he left because of the lack of resources which supports his stance.

I'm not a fan of him. Never have been. But a lot of the criticism seems unwarranted. Coaches always hype their current program then many leave. That's what you do to recruit.
It's bonkers to me that he thinks he can make that assessment before spring ball though (recall, he announced that as soon as he arrived). Not getting to know the kids and seeing what they have to offer (maybe they have talent but needed better coaching?) seems ridiculously short sighted.

In terms of criticism, I don't like his approach. Maybe it works and then win a NC in the next 3 years. Maybe it crashes and burns. We will see. But I still won't like the approach.

It's bonkers to me that he thinks he can make that assessment before spring ball though (recall, he announced that as soon as he arrived). Not getting to know the kids and seeing what they have to offer (maybe they have talent but needed better coaching?) seems ridiculously short sighted.

In terms of criticism, I don't like his approach. Maybe it works and then win a NC in the next 3 years. Maybe it crashes and burns. We will see. But I still won't like the approach.
I watched Colorado a few times last year--there wasn't much talent.
And that's fair about not liking the approach. I believe that's the true issue here. People don't want to see college football become what he's trying to do because eventually that will impact Penn State.

Reactions: bison13
Hows it going to work? A team full of kids who didn't pan out at other schools? A bunch of misfit backups. And he's not recruiting all that great either. They are going to be horrible.
Did the word "if" confuse you?
Stranger things have worked out and the Pac XII isn't exactly elite. They go 4-8 this year it's a huge improvement over 1-11.

No way they win 4
I mean, if they win 2 they're twice as good but I don't think it's impossible for them to win 4. The Pac XII is trash.

I know you love Rhule and hate Deion but Nebraska is beatable, Colorado State is, Arizona State is, Stanford may be, Arizona is and Washington State. They could easily get 3 or 4 wins there.

If they do win four does that make what he did a success? A huge success actually in year 1?

Nobody can possibly care about Deion more than Deion. He's never met a camera he didn't like. What he's doing at CU is bad for the sport so I'm hoping his experiment fails miserably so it's not repeated by others.

Does anyone believe that Colorado has deep enough NIL pockets to buy the number of players he'll need to win? I don't. Legal recreational weed might help a little, but thats a small factor.

Btw. Hes dirty. Look at his failed prep school. I think it was Prime Prep Academy.

He's turned over effectively 100% of last year's roster, not 50% (he's had 70-something scholarship players from last year's roster go into the X-fer Portal since he was named HC in Dec 2022. When you add the number to graduating players [or those whose last year of eligibility was last year], you have effectively 100% turnover from last year's team). The majority of his 2023 team is going to be X-Fer Portal players (I believe Colorado is up to 41 Portal players at this point). They also have 20-something trFR coming in from this year's recruiting class. But they are still well below a full 85-Man Scholarship roster due primarily to Primetime's own actions.

Additionally, I believe you are vastly over-rating the talent of the Portal players he's bringing on - just because they were in the Portal doesn't make them All-Americans. Keep in mind, the Colorado players leaving are going into the very same Portal, so does that mean that a team that brings them on is getting an incredible player and "buying talent"??? I suspect that the average player Prime is bringing on through the Portal is not even a P5 All-Conference type player, let alone an All-American. The notion that 40-something Portal hammy-down players plus 20-something trFR raw recruits that have yet to play a down of college football is going to give Colorado a "powerful" team is laughable imho. Lot of hype here, but zero substance as far as I can tell.

Never cared for Deion and don't like Prime at all. FSU, Braves and Cowboys...not my teams. If Coach Franklin is a "Snakeoil Salesman" as some competitors claim...where does Sanders fit in the mix?

Boulder is one of my favorite spots in America. My sophomore PSU roomate from Wellsboro moved to Longmont (via Baltimore) in the early 90s. Still there and loves it. Can't see him lining up for Buffs season tickets, but he is likely not the target audience.

This is the beginning of the end for college sports. Maybe this is just bringing "stuff" that was always going on to the surface. Prime is a symptom but not the disease. That goes back maybe since the advent of college teams.

I've got no issue with players getting paid more...coaches salaries have been "out of whack" for a long time (a Paternoism). Our basketball changeover is symbolic of it too...like rooting for laundry...kids wearing blue uniforms with white numbers...but what/if anything do we share as "Penn Staters?" Becoming more like Pro sports which I generally don't get too attached to.

It is the way the tide is rolling...
Progress? We'll see. My crew is going to Rocky Top for the TAMU game this year b/c we want to enjoy the experience before it is completely irrelevant to us.

When is the last time Colorado football got a 10th as much as attention in the off season? Publicity can only help

To be fair, this is allowed by the rules today, whether we like them or not. Deion at least told players when he arrived what was coming, I think. I don't like everything they've done there, but I'll be paying attention.

Getting the ingredients you ask for bought and paid for, however that happens, is one thing. Knowing what to do with the ingredients is another. Even if you presumably know what to do with the ingredients, it doesn't mean they'll turn out as well as you expect when mixed together - see Jimbo Fisher. A mediocre coach is probably not going to win a championship even with the best players unless one of them is an outstanding QB who can take over a game despite the coach. See Joe Burrow and LSU.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT