ADVERTISEMENT

Devyn Ford to ND

Yes, good luck to Ford. But ND seems to recruit RB's at a high level and I wonder if Ford will find a situation similar to what Potts is going into at PSU, being a backup behind more talented RB's. The young man seemed to make his academics a high priority so maybe that was the attraction at ND.

ND brought in 2 RB's in the 2021 class, 2 in 2022 (both 4 stars), and 1 in 2023 (#5 ranked RB in class). Plus Ford only showing up this summer puts him behind the talented 2023 RB, J. Love who seems to have enrolled already.

Last edited:
But ND seems to recruit RB's at a high level and I wonder if Ford will find a situation similar to what Potts is going into at PSU, being a backup behind more talented RB's

Halfway perhaps as far as returning production.

Expected starter had 900+ yards last year. Current #2 had 2 rushes for 5 yards. Then a RS FR with 0 rushes. Then a true freshman.

No idea where Ford will fit in, but he will have experience on his side.

@ND Heaven68 what do you think?

Halfway perhaps as far as returning production.

Expected starter had 900+ yards last year. Current #2 had 2 rushes for 5 yards. Then a RS FR with 0 rushes. Then a true freshman.

No idea where Ford will fit in, but he will have experience on his side.

@ND Heaven68 what do you think?
Seems the true freshman, #5 in 2023 class, is already on the post spring depth chart which seems to indicate he enrolled early.

Ford might have had a better better chance to play at PSU.

Reactions: 19333lion
#1- good for Ford. He took a long time in the process and hopefully things work out. With OC Tommy Rees gone to Bama they are in transition. Maybe his pass catching abilities will get him into the rotation where he proves his worth and stays in the game as a rusher too. If he hits a home run or two his role will grow.

#2- did he end up graduating from PSU? Was the academic focus more of a positive or was it more remedial? To get into ND it is likely the former. Mature decision.

#3- Sat near the family and girlfriend behind our bench 2 years ago for Michigan game. You could see their disappointment in their body language both for our loss, and when the Baylor transfer rb dropped a few big play potential passes. Hard for all of us, but harder for them knowing that their son missed those opportunities

#4- The high: I was in the upper South Endzone when he broke off the 81 yd td vs Idaho as a frosh. Yes, an inferior opponent but the speed/talent was evident. The low: TD at IU.

Hopefully things work out well for him. Even if not on the field, a PSU and ND undergrad and Masters degree combo would be a helluva an accomplishment.

Good luck!

Hope he does well but I too am skeptical that he gets the reps that he probably is looking for at ND. On the other hand, he isn't likely to end up in the NFL IMO so a ND degree could serve him best in the long run.

Reactions: GregInPitt
This seems like he’s prioritizing a graduate degree from Notre Dame more so than his football career/playing time. And I can’t say it’s a bad move at all. Does anyone see him having more than a cup of Joe in the league? Good for him, stack those degrees and have a great professional career.

Unless he’s still tripping on all that LSD they found in his apartment a few years back. 🤣

Reactions: ncgolfer
This seems like he’s prioritizing a graduate degree from Notre Dame more so than his football career/playing time. And I can’t say it’s a bad move at all. Does anyone see him having more than a cup of Joe in the league? Good for him, stack those degrees and have a great professional career.

Unless he’s still tripping on all that LSD they found in his apartment a few years back. 🤣
That would be the smart play.

Dream
Yes, good luck to Ford. But ND seems to recruit RB's at a high level and I wonder if Ford will find a situation similar to what Potts is going into at PSU, being a backup behind more talented RB's. The young man seemed to make his academics a high priority so maybe that was the attraction at ND.

ND brought in 2 RB's in the 2021 class, 2 in 2022 (both 4 stars), and 1 in 2023 (#5 ranked RB in class). Plus Ford only showing up this summer puts him behind the talented 2023 RB, J. Love who seems to have enrolled already.

Dreams of empire die hard.

Good example of how the transfer rule changes benefit the players sometimes. I wonder if he'll end up with a master's degree out of it. He won't have the NFL career that maybe he dreamed of in high school, but it does get him a very expensive education.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT