ADVERTISEMENT

David Taylor to Oklahoma State & related news

Carter’s gonna Carter! I love his passion, but when he becomes a father, he may see things differently. DT is making a decision for his entire family, not just himself.
I know for a fact that one CA family that put several good wrestlers into good D1 programs packed their bags and moved to another state to escape the insanity that is infecting California. Oklahoma is definitely one state that is holding the line against wacko trends like you're seeing coming out of California.

giphy.gif

I've been trying to keep up with the DT to OSU saga, but I was at the cabin for 4 days with poor cell service and no internet.

This reminds me of It's a Wonderful Life, when Mr Potter was offering George Bailey a chance to work for him. George was smoking that big cigar then came to his senses. Is it going to be Bedford Falls, our State College or Potterville, Stillwater. DT chose Potterville and a whole lot of $$.

Best of luck to you Dave, and I appreciate everything you've done for PSU wrestling!!

With DT and more than likely Gilman's NLWC budget now available, what would the reaction be on GIA of Cael lands Spencer? You know, endless deep pockets and all 🤣😂
Zain's money is probably available after the Olympics too. So he can go become the multi-millionaire who funds Cael's successor someday.

So Cael can sign Aaron and double Spencer's money.

There is a zero percent chance that Brooks is leaving the NLWC, if that’s what you’re insinuating.
Hmm, I was tryna insinuate the opposite. But NLWC usually announces when they add an athlete on salary, and I haven't seen that yet for AB--but he did only graduate this past Saturday.

Here's a former teammate offering congrats:

Reactions: creamery freak
Zain's money is probably available after the Olympics too. So he can go become the multi-millionaire who funds Cael's successor someday.

Spencer will need at least twice the going rate for NLWC wrestlers if he stays at Iowa. Who is going to pay for all the new pairs of eyeglasses for his mom?

I know for a fact that one CA family that put several good wrestlers into good D1 programs packed their bags and moved to another state to escape the insanity that is infecting California. Oklahoma is definitely one state that is holding the line against wacko trends like you're seeing coming out of California.
What?

Reactions: District four
Wacko trends like prohibiting a woman/girl who is raped from getting an abortion?

I mean, where does the sanity/wackiness line start?

Plus, now DT has unlimited $$ so it is possible that he raids Iowa's current roster and takes who he wants... is it possible that David Taylor was the paid Iowa hater all along??? The plot thickens!

I do hope it works out well for David and his family. This was obviously a major decision, especially considering David's numerous business interests at home, uprooting his young family, moving away from his parents, friends, etc. Financially speaking, if his salary will be as large as people are speculating, even a few years coaching there would go a long way toward providing financial security for he and his family for the rest of his life. I am sure it was a difficult decision for him and one he did not make lightly. I respect someone who is willing to leave a position of comfort and stability in order to pursue their dreams. For some reason, this move by David has reminded me of the great sacrifices our military members make throughout their careers as they have to move on a regular basis for changes in assignments. Kudos to all of them, and they sure do it for a lot less money : )

So none of us are David Taylor. He has his own goals and aspirations, whatever they may be. I’m near 60 and I thought he has Camelot with his farm, family and wresting in Penns Valley. But that is just an old guy who is twice as old as Taylor thinking about his dreams as I near retirement. I hate like hell that Taylor leaves the state. I bought into the video montage of the farm and family and the loss to AB was a kick in the nuts. Part of me envies what Taylor has in state college mostly because it is not my world. I get he has goals and at 33 I would have liked the bank. We all have to do what we believe to be best for our careers and family. Who are we to judge he and his wife’s decision. God bless and continue to make us proud! At least it is not Iowa.

A) I think DT going to OSU is great for college wrestling. I don't think he'll have instant success, but it won't take long.

B) Even as a PSU fan, PSU is beginning to get almost too dominant. This hire will make things interesting.

C) Poor Iowa.

D) I've always thought/hoped DT would be the ideal successor to Cael at Penn State. The problem was the timeline didn't work - Cael would not be ready to head off into the sunset until well after DT was ready to take the reins as a HC.

E) I still hold out hope that DT will succeed Cael eventually.

F) More competition for PSU will just get Cael MORE motivated (if that is even possible). I can't wait!
No coach or athlete thinks this way. Not even close.

So none of us are David Taylor. He has his own goals and aspirations, whatever they may be. I’m near 60 and I thought he has Camelot with his farm, family and wresting in Penns Valley. But that is just an old guy who is twice as old as Taylor thinking about his dreams as I near retirement. I hate like hell that Taylor leaves the state. I bought into the video montage of the farm and family and the loss to AB was a kick in the nuts. Part of me envies what Taylor has in state college mostly because it is not my world. I get he has goals and at 33 I would have liked the bank. We all have to do what we believe to be best for our careers and family. Who are we to judge he and his wife’s decision. God bless and continue to make us proud! At least it is not Iowa.
None of us are David Taylor yet.

Yeah well, Iowa protestors are so fking stupid, they can't spell Palestine properly. They painted PALASTINE on stairs with an A. F Iowa.
F Iowa?

I know why you are not a moderator anymore. Tsk Tsk

Well, I meant strictly financial decisions 🙄

Plus, now DT has unlimited $$ so it is possible that he raids Iowa's current roster and takes who he wants... is it possible that David Taylor was the paid Iowa hater all along??? The plot thickens!
Who the heck would he want, and how long would it take to scrub the Iowa push, push heeees staaaling off of the them?

We always knew losing David Taylor to one of the top three or four jobs would be one of the biggest threats to our dynasty, but I actually think the timing couldn’t have been better for us.

I really think the only way you can bring down Penn State right now is a move that directly takes something from us. Losing Casey would’ve been that move. Other than that, the only way to really stop this train for the next three or four years is to convince a guy like Mesenbrink, Levi, or Lilledahl to transfer. That elevates your program while directly hurting us. I don’t see any of the above wrestlers leaving Penn State unless they lose their spot. Ryder might be the only sort of guy that I think Taylor could flip, but does that really hurt us? The 165/174 log jam is the one place we could lose multiple guys and still be OK.

I think the timing of the hire was good for us for many reasons:

1. First one is obvious. Hiring a coach a few days AFTER the portal window closes is really bad management. If you hired Taylor a week ago, you may have been able to ride some momentum and get a PSU kid to make a quick, foolish decision. I’m not saying Levi or Kasak would’ve done that, but hiring the guy after the portal has been closed takes away that opportunity. I’m sure Cael already had a plan for getting these guys in the lineup the next two years, but if not, now he has a year to get this stuff figured out. Huge missed opportunity by Oklahoma State.

2. NIL timing. OSU will need to splash cash in the NIL marketplace. The earliest OSU could do this and target our guys is after next season. With Carter, Kerk, and Beau graduating, that’s potentially $2 million (Starocci reportedly got $1.25m this year) worth of NIL that will be available for us to use to retain our young studs. I keep saying it, but hiring a coach a few weeks ago and giving him an NIL war chest maybe could have convinced some guys to look at OSU. Right now the majority of our roster can’t wrestle at Oklahoma State next year even if they wanted to. This also gives us a whole year to plan and fundraise on the NIL side. Having Taylor go to Oklahoma State is probably a pretty easy talking point for Cael when he asks the big donors for more cash for NIL.

3. Again Taylor needs momentum. Maybe five or 10 years ago teams could’ve thought they were a piece or two away from catching us. Taylor will try to take us down when we are at a moment of strength that has rarely ever been seen in college wrestling.

Right now teams are literally 100 points behind us. And frankly, the next 3 years aren’t gonna be much different. This is actually a pretty young team. Next year we will start three seniors (Beau, Starocci, Kerk), 0 to 2 juniors (Nagao and Levi, tho it’s no guarantee either start in 2025), 3-5 sophomores, and 2 freshman.

To put it a different way, AFTER 2025 Lilledahl, Davis, SVN, Kasak, Mesenbrink, Facundo, and Barr all have at least 2 more years of eligibility. Levi might have 2 left as well if he redshirts. Plus we are probably redshirting Davis, Kasak, Sealy, Ryder, and the Mirasola’s. And we are already loading up on the next class.

The earliest chance Taylor could really gain some team momentum is 2028. That’s why winning some individual titles is so important for the next 3 years. If he hasn’t won a few individual championships these next 3 years, there’s gonna be a lot of questions about his college coaching ability.

Taylor will only have so much goodwill before questions are asked. Especially since boosters went over the head of their legend of a coach and brought in a guy with literally zero college coaching experience. Plus, Taylor is not a cowboy. When it’s one of your own, you might be more patient. When you overpay for someone outside of the organization, patience can wear thin quickly. It’s clear Taylor won’t win a team title for several years, but he has to show some improvement pretty quickly.

If they don’t land Allirez, there’s not a single guy on that roster that is even close to being a title contender. Even if they do land Allirez and he wins the title, it’s not like Taylor will get much credit for that. He was already a champion. Recruits want to see you take a guy who was a top 5 p4p recruit and turn him into a multiple time champion. If all you’re doing is offering big NIL money, but not developing guys, you’re just Michigan. If Taylor shows no improvement on the team level or individual level for 3 years, that’s not good.

Timing can be everything, and I think Oklahoma State missed an opportunity by a few days. The timing may have not mattered, but they’ve severely limited his options at a time when he needs to build as much momentum as possible.

Random observation: Tyler Kasak and Levi Haines both have Instagram stories posted in the last 24 hours. No repost of DT getting the job but Levi had a posting of him going turkey hunting with Donovan Ball, Tyler Kasak posted he was at Snap Pizza with Braedan Davis, Connor Pierce and Sean Wang.

Not saying haha this means they would never leave but I did want to remind people why kids commit to PSU, it goes beyond the wrestling titles.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT