ADVERTISEMENT

Dabo lost to Pitt

ChiTownLion

May 29, 2001
In fact, Clemson already has THREE losses this year after all of those insane recruiting classes. How is that possible? #FireDabo

LSU went from all-world to complete trash overnight with the same coach. Total fall from grace despite. #FireCoachO

All the Florida schools are complete and total dumpster fires. Miami, FSU & Florida. Think about the advantages they have and how awful they somehow are. #AnnexFlorida

Speaking of advantages, USC is absolute misery. Freaking Kansas damn near humiliated Oklahoma!

Guys, winning games in college football is hard. Everyone is trying to do it, but they keep playing each other and somebody has to lose.

With a healthy Sean Clifford, Penn State is 7-0 and No. 2 in the nation.

We still have big, meaningful games against OSU, UM & MSU.

I get the complaints about our running game. My feeling is we just don't have a stud at RB (Noah Cain is playing through pain just like Sean Clifford). Look at Phil Trautwein's track record for developing unstoppable running games at BC where his entire starting 5 was named to the all-ACC team, and look at the numbers Chuba Hubbard put up at Okie State under Mike Yurcich.

Take a step back and think about the big picture and what we're working with, here. Only one school can say they have the best combination of game-day atmosphere + academics + history + culture + proximity to major metro markets... guys, who is that? It's us! It's actually us. There is no place like Happy Valley. Every school on the planet wants Penn State's game-day atmosphere, and the small handful that are close don't have our beautiful campus, they don't have our academics, they don't have a coaching staff that is totally dedicated to the well-being of their student athletes, etc. This incoming recruiting class sees that vision and they want the world to see what they see about Penn State.

I've seen a lot of good recruiting classes underperform at different programs, but this recruiting class for Penn State is going to transform everything. You can see that they are humble, hungry, charismatic and extremely ambitious. This is not like when Iowa started signing a bunch of punk-ass 4-star recruits -- these are good, quality, Penn State-caliber kind of kids.

Look, the loss today stung. We play to win the games. But at the end of the day Penn State is a world-class institution with the planet's biggest Alumni Association (which launched my career, personally, and continues to open the biggest ddoors.

We may lose next week at Ohio State. But I think it is essential to recognize the slow transfer of power that is underway with Urban Meyer out of Columbus. Michigan is undefeated, yes, but I think we all recognize their upside is capped by Jim Harbaugh. We are finally recruiting at Penn State standards and the future is bright. Just let it happen no matter the outcome next week and always remember that no matter what, We Are... 😎

Last edited:
In fact, Clemson already has THREE losses this year after all of those insane recruiting classes. How is that possible? #FireDabo

LSU went from all-world to complete trash overnight with the same coach. Total fall from grace despite. #FireCoachO

All the Florida schools are complete and total dumpster fires. Miami, FSU & Florida. Think about the advantages they have and how awful they somehow are. #AnnexFlorida

Speaking of advantages, USC is absolute misery. Freaking Kansas damn near humiliated Oklahoma!

Guys, winning games in college football is hard. Everyone is trying to do it, but they keep playing each other and somebody has to lose.

I get the complaints about our running game. My feeling is we just don't have a stud at RB (Noah Cain is playing through pain just like Sean Clifford). Look at Phil Trautwein's track record for developing unstoppable running games at BC where his entire starting 5 was named to the all-ACC team, and look at the numbers Chuba Hubbard put up at Okie State under Mike Yurcich.

Take a step back and think about the big picture and what we're working with, here. Only one school can say they have the best combination of game-day atmosphere + academics + history + culture + proximity to major metro markets... but, guys, guess what? It's us! There is no place like Happy Valley. Every school on the planet wants Penn State game-day atmosphere, and the small handful that are close don't have our beautiful campus, they don't have our academics, they don't have a coaching staff that is totally dedicated to the well-being of their student athletes, etc. This incoming recruiting class sees that vision and they want the world to see what they see about Penn State.

I've seen a lot of good recruiting classes underperform at different programs, but this recruiting class for Penn State is going to transform everything. You can see that they are humble, hungry, charismatic and extremely ambitious. This is not like when Iowa started signing a bunch of punk-ass 4-star recruits -- these are good, quality, Penn State-caliber kind of kids.

Look, the loss today stung. We play to win the games. But at the end of the day Penn State is a world-class institution with the planet's biggest Alumni Association (which launched my career, personally, and continues to open the biggest ddoors.

We may lose next week at Ohio State. But I think it is essential to recognize the slow transfer of power that is underway with Urban Meyer out of Columbus. Michigan is undefeated, yes, but I think we all recognize their upside is capped by Jim Harbaugh. We are finally recruiting at Penn State standards and the future is bright. Just let it happen no matter the outcome next week and always remember that no matter what, We Are... 😎
Clemsons offensive line is really struggling this year and the QB position is not what it has been.

Wow.

Just took at look at the message board for the first time after the game.

I get it, people are up in arms, but, wow. Just, wow.

Again, we could be Clemson. Or LSU. Or USC. Half the people complaining would probably replace CJF with Dabo Swinney or Coach O.

Look, we're 7-0 and No. 2 in the country with a healthy starting QB. That's the reality.

I'm happy with our guys (there's so many all-time greats like Jahan and Brisk) and I believe this team will win 2 of 3 against OSU, UM & MSU. Don't jump off the bridge if we don't win in Columbus because we will run the table after that if healthy. Could not be more excited about the future with this incoming recruiting class. Two stud QBs and two stud RBs to take our offense to the next level
and playmakers at every position. Just wait, the best is yet to come.

Slow transfer of power? Lol….please….slower than a snails pace. Penn State won’t be on OSU’s level within the next 15 years.
Oh, you poor thing. What are you doing about it other than opening your mouth and crying like an actual baby?

Have you not noticed Ohio State's regression on defense? Have you not noticed the complete and total lack of team chemistry with players literally announcing their move to the portal at halftime?

Penn State is finally getting its top targets at every single position. Ohio State looks like an asylum run by the inmates. The big money is on OSU but mine is on PSU eventually taking control.

Don't need to sell anyone. Either you see it or you don't. Our recruits see it and I'm with them. I get the frustration that goes with these growing pains. All I can say is just wait. Seriously, just wait. If Sean is healthy, we will win two of three vs OSU, UM & MSU. And then we will keep growing from there and it will be awesome to see Penn State taking over our rightful place in the Big Ten and nationally. Guys, we got this.

Reactions: step.eng69
Wow.

Again, we could be Clemson. Or LSU. Or USC. Half the people complaining would probably replace CJF with Dabo Swinney or Coach O.

Look, we're 7-0 and No. 2 in the country with a healthy starting QB. That's the reality.

I'm happy with our guys (there's so many all-time greats like Jahan and Brisk) and I believe this team will win 2 of 3 against OSU, UM & MSU. Don't jump off the bridge if we don't win in Columbus because we will run the table after that if healthy. Could not be more excited about the future with this incoming recruiting class. Two stud QBs and two stud RBs to take our offense to the next level
Real number 2 teams do not lose to Illinois. The expectation for a real number 2 team playing Illinois is that they can win the game with the 2nd or 3rd string quarterback... or the water boy. Penn State is a borderline top 25 team.

Real number 2 teams do not lose to Illinois. The expectation for a real number 2 team playing Illinois is that they can win the game with the 2nd or 3rd string quarterback... or the water boy. Penn State is a borderline top 25 team.
I hear that, but the same could be said about all but 2 or 3 teams in the Top 25.

The players bear a huge amount of responsibility. At some point you have to step up and make some plays, no matter what the play is and no matter who is playing. The game was so over-coached but in the end it's about Jimmy's & Joe's not X's & O's. Especially when playing such an inferiorly talented team. Penn State should be able to beat Illinois with the most vanilla game plan ever.

This is why I don’t think Franklin will ever become an elite coach. He could have top 5 recruiting classes every year but he is just not a good enough head coach to consistently win conference titles and make playoff runs. He runs his football program like a family not a business. His teams and players are woefully unprepared and you never know which “team” is going to show up week to week. Yesterday’s loss is 100% on Franklin and Penn State, alumni, and fans deserve better than the product we all saw yesterday.

Wow.

Clemson, LSU, and USC fans all have National Championships (within the last 20 years) to cuddle with when their programs are down. Makes recent poor performance a bit more tolerable.

Take a step back and think about the big picture and what we're working with, here. Only one school can say they have the best combination of game-day atmosphere + academics + history + culture + proximity to major metro markets... guys, who is that? It's us! It's actually us. There is no place like Happy Valley. Every school on the planet wants Penn State's game-day atmosphere, and the small handful that are close don't have our beautiful campus, they don't have our academics, they don't have a coaching staff that is totally dedicated to the well-being of their student athletes, etc. This incoming recruiting class sees that vision and they want the world to see what they see about Penn State.

Thanks for the dose of optimism. Even though it may lack a bit of candor.

I think Pitt will be ranked between 16-19 on Tuesday. If the stars align for them and everyone stays healthy they truly have a shot at finishing 10-2 this year. Is that enough to land them in a NY6 bowl game?

Reactions: duboispanther
Thanks, Chi. Here I thought the only bright spot was that the Illinois coaches wouldn’t stick around this weekend to poach our players.

I still hate us.

I think Pitt will be ranked between 16-19 on Tuesday. If the stars align for them and everyone stays healthy they truly have a shot at finishing 10-2 this year. Is that enough to land them in a NY6 bowl game?
10-2?? If Pickett continues to play like he is, who is going to beat them? Wake who just gave up 56 pound to Army??

and yes, the winner of the ACC goes to a NY6, so most likely Pitt to the Peach Bowl since the Orange is a CFP Host.

Clemson, LSU, and USC fans all have National Championships (within the last 20 years) to cuddle with when their programs are down. Makes recent poor performance a bit more tolerable.
Exactly. Chitown is a great poster IMO but this post here, comparing Clemson and LSU situations to ours is ridiculous

Reactions: Midnighter2
10-2?? If Pickett continues to play like he is, who is going to beat them? Wake who just gave up 56 pound to Army??

and yes, the winner of the ACC goes to a NY6, so most likely Pitt to the Peach Bowl since the Orange is a CFP Host.

dooz to Penn State.

Our offense has relied on the QB to stitch together games with his legs. This goes all the way back to Trace against Minnesota in 2016. Until we turned him loose we were on the verge of losing that game and season. Ditto in the comeback portion of the 2019 Minnesota game. Ditto our last game and a half.

We have to find an offense that has some efficiency when the QB runs aren’t there for some reason.

I'm sorry but Michigan's upside is capped by Jim Harbaugh? He took Stanford from a 1-11 team to 12-1 in four years. And coached in a super bowl and two NFC championship games. He made Alex Smith look like a big time QB. I know people love to hate him because he's eccentric but he's built a good roster. He's 3-3 against Penn State and likely will be favored this year.

Wow.

You wouldn’t hypothetically replace CJF with Dabo? That’s delusional.

My take, as an OSU fan, on Ryan Day.

He's 29-3 as the OSU HC. Losses to Bama and Clemson in the CFP. A loss to current top 10 Oregon with a very young team. Hasn't lost a B1G game.

He's recruiting at a higher clip than Urban. Is considered arguably the best QB developer in CFB, essentially hand-picking who he wants.

I like him better as a human than Meyer.

My take, as an OSU fan, on Ryan Day.

He's 29-3 as the OSU HC. Losses to Bama and Clemson in the CFP. A loss to current top 10 Oregon with a very young team. Hasn't lost a B1G game.

He's recruiting at a higher clip than Urban. Is considered arguably the best QB developer in CFB, essentially hand-picking who he wants.

I like him better as a human than Meyer.

I honestly shouted with joy when I heard Urb was retiring. I figured this was the beginning of the end of their run, and would give us a chance to overtake them.

Well, not so much. Some of the comments in this thread about OSU losing their discipline or having cohesion issues are pure wishful thinking by people who either aren't paying attention or don't want to admit that OSU has widened the gap over the past 2-3 years.

We had a chance in 2017-2018 to close that gap. Then came the 4th quarter collapses, the '18 losses to Michigan State and SNELL YEAH, the Minnesota loss in '19, a disaster in '20, and now this crap.

That gap is widening.

I'm not as defeatist as many re: next week's game in Columbus. OSU's defense hasn't been tested in a while, and nobody has managed to make Stroud uncomfortable. PSU can do both. Will they? Not absent a MAJOR turnaround. But they have the tools.

But it's laughable to suggest that our two programs aren't going in opposite directions.

Urban's offense was figured out and stale by 2016. Hence the 31-0 loss to Clemson. Day re-tooled the offense when he was brought in 2017. Urban's major drawback was hiring incompetent friends like Zach Smith and Billy Davis as coaches. Day has shown to be ruthless in that regard, not afraid to make changes quickly. Coombs was demoted and Barnes took over play calling duties. Think it highly unlikely Day is going to be another Larry Coker, as most here wish.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT