ADVERTISEMENT

Football Clifford selected in the 5th round by the Packers

Sean is a very good QB. Imagine if he was breaking the huddle with three 5-Star pass catchers. Not ssaying Young and Stroud aren't good, but Sean got more heat than deserved.
5-stars mean nothing if you can’t read a defense and progress through your receivers. That is Clffs problem.

Fabulous news! Didn’t he get snubbed and not invited to the combine?

Looked great against Purdue and first half of the Iowa game until he was hurt. Never looked the same that year. This past season he had more injuries and struggled until late in the season. Great bowl game.

So who knows…. if he can stay healthy he may be a quality NFL QB🤷🏿‍♂️
Yes. It's interesting. The NFL tries to invite every player to the combine that will likely be drafted with input from teams. That clifford wasn't invited, and then went in the 5th is interesting. Perhaps he performed well at the PSU pro day?

I'm happy for SC, but this does surprise me. I say this for effect, and not with malice, but I feel like SC is a poor man's Trace McSorley...not as strong of an arm, not as good of a runner, and not quite the same leader.

Yes. It's interesting. The NFL tries to invite every player to the combine that will likely be drafted with input from teams. That clifford wasn't invited, and then went in the 5th is interesting. Perhaps he performed well at the PSU pro day?

I'm happy for SC, but this does surprise me. I say this for effect, and not with malice, but I feel like SC is a poor man's Trace McSorley...not as strong of an arm, not as good of a runner, and not quite the same leader.
The pick didn't surprise me at all. Cliff is not really comparable to McSorley as a QB. They have a very different skill set. McSorley is a run first QB closer to an option QB of old. Clifford is a mobile pro-style passer with good speed and solid running ability. Clifford's arm is considerably stronger than McSorley's, He is far more precise of a passer and a nice release. He doesn't have the strongest arm in the world but it isn't bad.

Sean has the better arm

The Steelers have had a great offseason and draft; they should contend for the playoffs this season and for several years to come. I actually believe that they at least will be a wild card this season.
The Steelers had a great draft. They picked 5 Big 10 players and two SEC players. Their team should be better next year.

The problem with the Steelers is that they now have the worst QB in the AFC North. Is Pickett better than Lamar Jackson? No. Is Pickett better than Joe Burrow? No. Is Pickett better than Deshaun Watson? No. Pickett is far inferior to each of the other QBs in the AFC North and always will be. Joe Burrow is 26 years old. Jackson is 26 years old. Deshaun Watson is 27 years old. Pickett is 25 years old. Take a look at recent playoff teams and especially Super Bowl teams. They all have had elite QBs. The Steelers will have the worst QB in their division as long as Pickett is their QB. Pickett has little upside. He has worked hard and has made the most of his limited talent. He will never be in the same class as Watson, Burrow, or Jackson. The only way that the Steelers get back to being a playoff game winner and a Super Bowl contender is to get rid of Pickett.

The Steelers had a great draft. They picked 5 Big 10 players and two SEC players. Their team should be better next year.

The problem with the Steelers is that they now have the worst QB in the AFC North. Is Pickett better than Lamar Jackson? No. Is Pickett better than Joe Burrow? No. Is Pickett better than Deshaun Watson? No. Pickett is far inferior to each of the other QBs in the AFC North and always will be. Joe Burrow is 26 years old. Jackson is 26 years old. Deshaun Watson is 27 years old. Pickett is 25 years old. Take a look at recent playoff teams and especially Super Bowl teams. They all have had elite QBs. The Steelers will have the worst QB in their division as long as Pickett is their QB. Pickett has little upside. He has worked hard and has made the most of his limited talent. He will never be in the same class as Watson, Burrow, or Jackson. The only way that the Steelers get back to being a playoff game winner and a Super Bowl contender is to get rid of Pickett.
They aren't winning a SB with Mahomes Allen and Burrow in the AFC. That said, who thought Hurts and Daniel Jones would have two of the better season for NFC QBs last year? Who thought Russell Wilson would be one of the worst? Who thought Purdy could take a team to the NFCCG?

I'm not pretending Pickett is more than he is. Like you said, he has a limited ceiling. But I'm not fearful of Watson or Lamar. That's be real here. I'm not convinced Lamar can survive and entire season and Watson was far from good last year. The AFC is stacked with QBs but some are overrated. For example, Herbert is hyped up beyond belief but is he any different than Rivers? A guy that puts up big numbers in regular season games then flops on the big stage?

The pick didn't surprise me at all. Cliff is not really comparable to McSorley as a QB. They have a very different skill set. McSorley is a run first QB closer to an option QB of old. Clifford is a mobile pro-style passer with good speed and solid running ability. Clifford's arm is considerably stronger than McSorley's, He is far more precise of a passer and a nice release. He doesn't have the strongest arm in the world but it isn't bad.
Gotta call bs on not being surprised. I, and most everyone, thought he would be a late pick until it was announced he wasn’t invited to the combine. That was a pretty serious signal that he wouldn’t be drafted at all. Then he hears his called out in the fifth round……not six or a last-second seventh. That was very surprising.

He may be better than McSorely. May have a longer, more productive career. Wouldn’t surprise me at all. Ut to get drafted in the fifth after being rejected just for the combine shows he made some serious efforts that paid off.

Would love to see his reaction when he got the call. Anyone have video they can post?

Cliff will be a solid backup for years. He's a heady guy. He plays old man QB (slow and arm strength isnt great), but that keeps you on rosters for a long time.
I taught Matt Schaub's niece two years ago when he retired. Dude mostly held a clipboard and ran Scout Team offenses to the tune of a $45 MM net worth.

My wish is for Sean to get half of that!

The Steelers have had a great offseason and draft; they should contend for the playoffs this season and for several years to come. I actually believe that they at least will be a wild card this season.
All depends on Picket, there are a lot of good QBs in their division. This is a QB league.

All depends on Picket, there are a lot of good QBs in their division. This is a QB league.
Yep, the AFC is stocked with elite QBs and Pickett isn't one of them. The Steelers are doomed to be a fringe playoff team with no chance of getting to the Super Bowl unless they dump Pickett and get an elite QB.

Yep, the AFC is stocked with elite QBs and Pickett isn't one of them. The Steelers are doomed to be a fringe playoff team with no chance of getting to the Super Bowl unless they dump Pickett and get an elite QB.
Regarding Kenny P, time will tell. He exceeded my expectations for him based on how he actually performed particularly late in the season with the game on the line.

If he proves to be successful, he will do so as the Steelers QB and that will be his identity. If you think otherwise, what team comes to mind when you think of Bradshaw or Big Ben?

Until he provides a reason for me to do otherwise, I will continue to root for his development and success as the Steelers starting QB.

Regarding Kenny P, time will tell. He exceeded my expectations for him based on how he actually performed particularly late in the season with the game on the line.

If he proves to be successful, he will do so as the Steelers QB and that will be his identity. If you think otherwise, what team comes to mind when you think of Bradshaw or Big Ben?

Until he provides a reason for me to do otherwise, I will continue to root for his development and success as the Steelers starting QB.
I know the NFL is different now, but I’d like to think that Pickett is at least good enough to have them compete well into the playoffs yearly provided Pittsburgh improves the offensive line and becomes more run dominant and maintains a top-flight defense.

That clifford wasn't invited, and then went in the 5th is interesting. Perhaps he performed well at the PSU pro day?

The big thing was his interview at GB. They picked him as 1 of the 30 they could invite to their facilities and interview. They like his smarts, his experience, etc. He's low risk, potentially good reward.

I know the NFL is different now, but I’d like to think that Pickett is at least good enough to have them compete well into the playoffs yearly provided Pittsburgh improves the offensive line and becomes more run dominant and maintains a top-flight defense.
Maybe it's wishful thinking on my part, but I can envision KP being a poor man's Joe Burrow. Good enough to get the job done when surrounded by the necessary talent to help the team succeed.

And hopefully will remain affordable to a point against AFC opponents to where the Steelers can afford to surround him with that talent.

The rest of the division will have much more $ invested in the QB position in the short term than will the Steelers.

Who was the last team to win a SB with an average QB?

I don't know; that's why I'm asking.
Trent Dilfer?

KP will need to be considerably above average for the Steelers to have a chance at post season success in the AFC.

Last year was a good start. And the rest of the league took notice, I'm quite certain. He needs to continue to improve and play within himself.

So much QB talent in the AFC. The other players who contribute to their teams success would like to get paid too.

Reactions: lazydave841
Who was the last team to win a SB with an average QB?

I don't know; that's why I'm asking.
Nick Foles magical post season:

The former Eagles quarterback turned in an absolutely legendary postseason stretch en route to becoming the first Super Bowl MVP in franchise history. Foles completed 77 of his 106 playoff pass attempts (72.6%) for 971 yards (9.2 average), six touchdowns, one interception*, and a 115.7 passer rating.

in the bigger picture, some may consider him to be average.

But there was nothing average about his post season success that season.

Reactions: lazydave841
Nick Foles magical post season:

The former Eagles quarterback turned in an absolutely legendary postseason stretch en route to becoming the first Super Bowl MVP in franchise history. Foles completed 77 of his 106 playoff pass attempts (72.6%) for 971 yards (9.2 average), six touchdowns, one interception*, and a 115.7 passer rating.

in the bigger picture, some may consider him to be average.

But there was nothing average about his post season success that season.
Great run but pretending he's more than average is insincere. Most QBs can get hot for a month. Great timing but he's still the answer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT