Football Clifford selected in the 5th round by the Packers

Richie O

Staff
Mar 21, 2016
South Amboy, NJ
www.pennstate.rivals.com

Fu5s86CXgAY96bp

Last edited by a moderator:
Cliff will be a solid backup for years. He's a heady guy. He plays old man QB (slow and arm strength isnt great), but that keeps you on rosters for a long time.

Reactions: gpk4
The Steelers really missed the boat. Clifford is light years better than any current QB on the Steelers.
I am both a Steelers and PSU fan and am really happy for Sean, but c'mon! When he starts for the Packers and has them in contention for the NFC North, then let's have this conversation again.

Reactions: psu_andy
Sean is a very good QB. Imagine if he was breaking the huddle with three 5-Star pass catchers. Not ssaying Young and Stroud aren't good, but Sean got more heat than deserved.
Dotson and Washington were pretty darn good.

I am both a Steelers and PSU fan and am really happy for Sean, but c'mon! When he starts for the Packers and has them in contention for the NFC North, then let's have this conversation again.
Two years from now Sean will get getting significant playing time on the Packers, the Steelers will have a top draft pick (because of their horrible 2024 season record) and will be intending to draft Allar, and Pickett will be trying out for a backup QB position in the XFL.

• Haha
Reactions: The Spin Meister
Pickett is a good qb. You just have to worry about concussions. Smart of the steelers to draft an OT in the first round.

Last edited:
Reactions: Parkland Fan

Fu5s86CXgAY96bp
We should be happy for Sean. He took alot of criticism from us for his quarterbacking - me included - and here he is getting drafted. I don't think any of us doubted his character, toughness and perseverance. It would nice to see him stay on as a back-up for a good 5-7 year stretch.

Pickett is a good qb. You just have to worry about concussions. Smart of the steelers to draft an OT in the first round.
We don't know how good Pickett's going to be but to state with certainty that any QB in this draft will be better is insane. No one knows.

We should be happy for Sean. He took alot of criticism from us for his quarterbacking - me included - and here he is getting drafted. I don't think any of us doubted his character, toughness and perseverance. It would nice to see him stay on as a back-up for a good 5-7 year stretch.
Here’s the thing he had some of the worst OLines in CFB with only really having two good WRs to throw to with Dotson and Hamler in 5 years and still won a lot of games. Jordan Love is no proven commodity so Sean is not so far away from starting. He’s experienced and battle tested so that will carry him far. A career backup for 5-7 years ain’t bad either.

Why is it then instead of celebrating the fact he was drafted you're trying to bash Levis? You really need to grow up.
Probably because everyone who has bashed Franklin/Clifford for passing over the "possible number one overall pick" for Clifford. the chances of a second or a fifth round succeeding in the NFL since the rookie wage scale came to be are pretty damn similar, don't get me wrong, I don't think clifford is starting NFL material.

Probably because everyone who has bashed Franklin/Clifford for passing over the "possible number one overall pick" for Clifford. the chances of a second or a fifth round succeeding in the NFL since the rookie wage scale came to be are pretty damn similar, don't get me wrong, I don't think clifford is starting NFL material.
None of that addresses the question. And very few people have bashed him for that. It's very possible to be happy for both. Neither side in that argument knows how would have done better here which makes the argument moot. Franklin made his choice and the results we're mixed but the strong season last year should have us all comfortable with it.

Dotson and Washington were pretty darn good.
Yeah but Ohio St has forced NFL 1st round WRs to the portal already once and it is likely to happen again. They literally have recruited 3 top 50 to 100 WRs every class it seems for about 4 years now.

Yeah but Ohio St has forced NFL 1st round WRs to the portal already once and it is likely to happen again. They literally have recruited 3 top 50 to 100 WRs every class it seems for about 4 years now.
They were really good, but not dominant like the ridiculous talent OSU has had over the past 5 years literally stacked with 5 stars and first round picks. Let’s be real about the talent Clifford had around him and the terrible OLine.

Fabulous news! Didn’t he get snubbed and not invited to the combine?

Looked great against Purdue and first half of the Iowa game until he was hurt. Never looked the same that year. This past season he had more injuries and struggled until late in the season. Great bowl game.

So who knows…. if he can stay healthy he may be a quality NFL QB🤷🏿‍♂️

Two years from now Sean will get getting significant playing time on the Packers, the Steelers will have a top draft pick (because of their horrible 2024 season record) and will be intending to draft Allar, and Pickett will be trying out for a backup QB position in the XFL.
The Steelers have had a great offseason and draft; they should contend for the playoffs this season and for several years to come. I actually believe that they at least will be a wild card this season.

The Steelers have had a great offseason and draft; they should contend for the playoffs this season and for several years to come. I actually believe that they at least will be a wild card this season.
Pickett needs to continue to develop and come into his own and I agree. Tough division now with Burrow/Cincy and Lamar/Baltimore not to mention Cleve Brownies with Deshaun Watson. We need very good QB play.

Pickett needs to continue to develop and come into his own and I agree. Tough division now with Burrow/Cincy and Lamar/Baltimore not to mention Cleve Brownies with Deshaun Watson. We need very good QB play.
Steelers have arguably the easiest schedule in the NFL next year on paper. They're not on par with BUF NYJ MIA CIN BAL KC or LAC but that schedule gives them a great shot.

Here’s the thing he had some of the worst OLines in CFB with only really having two good WRs to throw to with Dotson and Hamler in 5 years and still won a lot of games. Jordan Love is no proven commodity so Sean is not so far away from starting. He’s experienced and battle tested so that will carry him far. A career backup for 5-7 years ain’t bad either.
Parker Washington caught everything within the same zip code. Awesome tight ends also. Strong running game this year. Cupboard of options was not as bare as you say.

Reactions: LMTLION
Steelers have arguably the easiest schedule in the NFL next year on paper. They're not on par with BUF NYJ MIA CIN BAL KC or LAC but that schedule gives them a great shot.
You’re right about the schedule. Last season, the first half of their schedule was very tough and they broke in a rookie qb. Also, they basically played the whole season with the reigning defensive player of the year hurt. Despite that, they only missed the playoffs by one game.

No offense but get back to us when Pickett does the same for the Steelers.

None of that addresses the question. And very few people have bashed him for that. It's very possible to be happy for both. Neither side in that argument knows how would have done better here which makes the argument moot. Franklin made his choice and the results we're mixed but the strong season last year should have us all comfortable with it.
You really need to stop beating a dead horse. Franklin clearly made the right choice. Levis’ results at Kentucky were mixed as well
Hopefully, Levis turns out to be all that and a bag of chips and Clifford has a long career as an NFL back up.

You really need to stop beating a dead horse. Franklin clearly made the right choice. Levis’ results at Kentucky were mixed as well
Hopefully, Levis turns out to be all that and a bag of chips and Clifford has a long career as an NFL back up.
He didn't clearly make the right choice. We have no idea how Levis would have done. Could have been better. Could have been worse. I'm not mad about the decision but anyone claiming definitely one way or another is wrong.

Hopefully both have successful careers.

Whatever his limitations, Cliff is a high character guy - tough, smart, and a leader. Hope he has a long career in the NFL.
I’m very happy for how this worked out for him. All that I know is that as the PSU qb, he won Cotton and Rose Bowls, and would’ve led this team probably to three double-digit win seasons if he hadn’t been injured in 2021; I discount what happened in 2020 because that was a totally chaotic season. He probably is one of the more underappreciated PSU football players in history.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT