ADVERTISEMENT

Citi Field, home of the New York Mets question

PennStateTurf2002

Aug 28, 2010
traveling out to see the mets vs Pirate game there next Sunday at 1:10. Any advice on the stadium, travel, food. We are getting tickets soon, recommendations on where to sit in stadium for best affordable view / experience. Thanks.

Food- is awesome. Shake Shack (get there early), Blue Smoke, Pat LaFrieda meatball sliders, Box Frites. All of those are in center field

Take the 7 train

Sitting down 3b line/ LF is good and usually cheap; a lot of people like Pepsi Porch in RF but Ive never been there

Food- is awesome. Shake Shack (get there early), Blue Smoke, Pat LaFrieda meatball sliders, Box Frites. All of those are in center field

Take the 7 train

Sitting down 3b line/ LF is good and usually cheap; a lot of people like Pepsi Porch in RF but Ive never been there
.... And Mets fans are generally a fun group to be around. Mets are hot, so should be a big crowd. Assume you are a Bucs fan. If so, bring home a victory for them!

We are actually driving out 80 from PA the morning of the game and heading back after. Would love to stay but have commitments that make this a day trip. Is there somewhere safe and easy to stop and catch the 7 or LIIR?

We are actually driving out 80 from PA the morning of the game and heading back after. Would love to stay but have commitments that make this a day trip. Is there somewhere safe and easy to stop and catch the 7 or LIIR?
Given that, I'd take C66's advice and park at the Port Authority and catch the 7 at the Times Square subway stop. Take 41st street after you exit Lincoln Tunnels and you will see Port Authority. Get there early and traffic shouldn't be a big problem on Sunday. Have a good time.

Last edited:
.... And Mets fans are generally a fun group to be around. Mets are hot, so should be a big crowd. Assume you are a Bucs fan. If so, bring home a victory for them!
As a Mets fan, you've picked a good time to go! The stadium is rocking right now from what I've been reading because the Mets haven't lead their division this late in a season since they left Shea. I watched the game on ESPN Sunday night and it looked like a great time.

Reactions: ChiTownLion
traveling out to see the mets vs Pirate game there next Sunday at 1:10. Any advice on the stadium, travel, food. We are getting tickets soon, recommendations on where to sit in stadium for best affordable view / experience. Thanks.

I just ordered tickets for a game against the Rockies next week. Below are some of the sites I used when deciding on how and where to purchase tickets. I believe I'm section 510 row 7. $18 dollars a piece with a total of 9-10 in fees. I ordered from the mets mlb.com site.

Essentially sections 509-517 offer the most bang for the buck and very little obstructions. Get a few rows back. Avoid sections 501-504, and 524-528. Views are not as good. Enjoy ... go Mets!

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/guide/citi-field/

http://www.metsgrrl.com/2009/07/18/the-2011-metsgrrl-com-guide-to-citi-field/

You can park for around $15 at the Port Imperial Ferry terminal (nice and safe on Port Imperial Blvd in Weehawken) and take the ferry across the river ($9 each way) to the 38th street pier where you get the free ferry shuttle bus across 42nd street to 42nd/Times Square where you get the #7 train. It will cost $2.75 each way on the #7. It beats driving into and parking in the city. Google is your friend for getting to Port Imperial from the GWB but its pretty easy..... last exit before the bridge toll booth (exit 73) and then south on river road which turns into Port Imperial Blvd (it's approx 5 miles straight down river from the bridge to the ferry terminal.

Last edited:
What kind of time will it take for the ferry rides and 7 vs driving whole way vs driving to port authority and taking the 7 ?

What kind of time will it take for the ferry rides and 7 vs driving whole way vs driving to port authority and taking the 7 ?
I can't answer that question having never taken that route. Always take the Lincoln Tunnels because I stay in Manhattan. My guess is that driving into Manhattan would be quicker because it is a Sunday. Remember though, it is Manhattan and traffic can be unpredictable. Maybe a NYC resident on the board can better answer this.

Ferry ride is seven minutes across the river and the free shuttle bus from the 39th street pier to 42nd/Times Square where you get the #7 is maybe another 10-12 minutes depending on traffic. Shouldn't be much traffic the time you would be coming on a Sunday. Ferry leaves Weehawken for 39th street every 20 minutes and the same applys on the return trip.

When you're at Port Imperial it's just another mile south to the Lincoln Tunnel entrance. Port Authority is located at the tunnel exit at 41st and 8th Ave. Its a three block walk from Port Authority to where you get the #7 but parking at Port Authority will cost you around $35-$40 for up to 12 hours. Don't forget the tunnel toll which is another $14 sans Easy Pass.

Can't tell you how long of a drive from the GWB to Citi Field because much depends on route traffic/weather/accidents/etc. It's about a 10 mile ride on the #7 and I would estimate it to be somewhere around 45 minutes with all the local stops.

Here is a link to NY Waterway's Port Imperial information. http://www.nywaterway.com/PortImperialWeehawkenTerminal.aspx

Last edited:
Reactions: RochLion
I live about 15 minutes north of the GWB. If I was going to the game, I would just drive to the stadium. Going from car to ferry to bus to subway is a pain and the ferry ain't cheap. Getting through the Lincoln Tunnel can be hit or miss and probably won't get you into Manhattan any quicker than the bridge.

I live about 15 minutes north of the GWB. If I was going to the game, I would just drive to the stadium. Going from car to ferry to bus to subway is a pain and the ferry ain't cheap. Getting through the Lincoln Tunnel can be hit or miss and probably won't get you into Manhattan any quicker than the bridge.

Easy to suggest driving to Citi when one lives a scant 15 minutes from the bridge but he is coming from PA with a drive that is considerably longer and takes him into Queens on roads he is likely unfamiliar with.

Easy to suggest driving to Citi when one lives a scant 15 minutes from the bridge but he is coming from PA with a drive that is considerably longer and takes him into Queens on roads he is likely unfamiliar with.

He's coming a long way so why add at least another 1/2 hour in each direction to his trip if he follows your device? And what Queens roads are you talking about? It's one road to the Triborough Bridge and one more to the stadium.

He's coming a long way so why add at least another 1/2 hour in each direction to his trip if he follows your device? And what Queens roads are you talking about? It's one road to the Triborough Bridge and one more to the stadium.
My only question is what will the road out traffic wise be like after the game. Of course, I guess that applies no matter. Not from NYC area, but do get there often.

I go to Citi Field from NJ and this is what you should do:

Drive to the Secaucus Junction Train Station. After 4 PM on weekdays, parking is $9 for 12 hours, I think weekends are the same. Take a NJ Transit Station to Penn Station NY. It's 1 stop, 10 minutes $8 round trip. There are usually 4 or 5 trains per hour. Note: On the way back you need your ticket to get through the turnstile after exiting the train so hold on to it.
From NY Penn take the LIRR Great Neck Line. for a weeknight game buy a round trip "Peak/Off Peak" ticket for about $14. Its about a 20 minute ride to the stadium as there is only 1 stop between NY Penn and "Willet Points - Mets" (the MTA would not give Citibank free advertising by calling the stop "Citi Field"
I like this route because it is much faster than the 7 and you avoid the car traffic. The LIRR is more expensive than the subway but a better, quicker ride The NJ Transit schedule has almost every train out of NY Penn stopping in Secaucus. So even for night games you usually do not have to wait long to get on a train (though there are more trains near the top of the hour than after the :30 minute mark. We went last Friday, stayed for extra innings and had no problem with the connections despite the fact that the game was over well after 11 PM.

I would travel into the city then park near the Garden/Penn Station. Sunday morning is dead as far as traffic. You can even search parking lots/garages online and they include pricing info. Then go to Penn Station, buy R/T tix and hop on the LIRR to Mets/Willets Point. They are on a schedule and much more civilized than the subway IMHO. Just a stroll on the boardwalk over from the National Tennis Center to Citi Field. If your tix get you in a club I would see if you can make a reservation for lunch around 11:30. Have some bacon on a stick later from Pig Guy NYC. It's a great park. I like it better than most I have been to, including PNC.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT