ADVERTISEMENT

Football CFP National Championship Game Thread

Penix cost himself millions by playing that game last night. Not that I ever see it happening in a championship game, but it will definitely happen in lower round playoff games.

I think his draft projections were all over the map before the game, with some saying he would be a top-10 pick and some putting him in the 2nd or even 3rd round.

No question, he didn't help himself last night, but there were probably two or three college QBs rated ahead of him regardless of what he did against Michigan.

There's no solid consensus among the "experts" at this point, so it will be interesting to see where he's picked. For what it's worth, even after last night's game, Mel Kiper still has him ranked as the 4th best QB prospect in the draft...one spot in front of: JJ McCarthy.

I think his draft projections were all over the map before the game, with some saying he would be a top-10 pick and some putting him in the 2nd or even 3rd round.

No question, he didn't help himself last night, but there were probably two or three college QBs rated ahead of him regardless of what he did against Michigan.

There's no solid consensus among the "experts" at this point, so it will be interesting to see where he's picked. For what it's worth, even after last night's game, Mel Kiper still has him ranked as the 4th best QB prospect in the draft...one spot in front of: JJ McCarthy.
I'd think the Penix and McCarthy will both be mid-late round 1 picks...Williams/Maye go 1/2 (most likely in that order), Daniels goes shortly after them (potentially even 3rd), and the other two get taken somewhere in the 1st. Tough to see them slipping to day 2 with the value placed on QBs and the potential of that 5th year on the rookie contract.

Reactions: Jerry
Do people really believe one game drastically alters draft status?
The mocks are out of control. Some have 6 QBs in the top 10--reality will set in sooner than later.

Do people really believe one game drastically alters draft status?
The mocks are out of control. Some have 6 QBs in the top 10--reality will set in sooner than later.

It's hard to see 6 QBs in the top-10, but QB has become by far the most important position on the field in football...both NFL and big-time college. That's why they're at a premium and teams will take a chance on finding a good one.

It's nice to have a good running game and powerful D...and there was a day when that was good enough...but no more. Now you need top-flight performance from the QB spot. Without it, you can't seriously compete for championships.

I'd think the Penix and McCarthy will both be mid-late round 1 picks...Williams/Maye go 1/2 (most likely in that order), Daniels goes shortly after them (potentially even 3rd), and the other two get taken somewhere in the 1st. Tough to see them slipping to day 2 with the value placed on QBs and the potential of that 5th year on the rookie contract.
Penix reminds me of Tua.

JMO, it's insane to believe the ACC refs were helping Michigan
I think the game unfortunately played out as many expected. The better team won--and relatively easily--and not because of the officiating.

I never said they were helping Michigan. I never said they were biased. I said they were not calling holds that should have been called. Anyone watching the game could see that.

Given that Washington was a passing team this very well could have impacted the outcome. It's hard to say. We don't know who would have been open that did not get open. We don't know if Michigan drives would have been stopped and big plays halted. Maybe Penix gets into a better rhythm and throws more accurately.

All bets are off when the rules are not the rules. As it was, the applied "rules" hugely favored Michigan's style of play.

Reactions: GSPMax
I never said they were helping Michigan. I never said they were biased. I said they were not calling holds that should have been called. Anyone watching the game could see that.

Given that Washington was a passing team this very well could have impacted the outcome. It's hard to say. We don't know who would have been open that did not get open. We don't know if Michigan drives would have been stopped and big plays halted. Maybe Penix gets into a better rhythm and throws more accurately.

All bets are off when the rules are not the rules. As it was, the applied "rules" hugely favored Michigan's style of play.
Holding calls against both teams though, right? It wasn't just Michigan that wasn't called.

Fair or not, part of the game is adjusting to how it's being called. The two penalties on the UW RT are called I'm every game. A guy went down after beating the OT badly then the RT moved a second late a reached. To me, it was consistent but I also never complain about officiating.

It's hard to see 6 QBs in the top-10, but QB has become by far the most important position on the field in football...both NFL and big-time college. That's why they're at a premium and teams will take a chance on finding a good one.

It's nice to have a good running game and powerful D...and there was a day when that was good enough...but no more. Now you need top-flight performance from the QB spot. Without it, you can't seriously compete for championships.

Schools that are lucky and don't get their mobile quarterback hurt have a path to the NC. FSU was unlucky. This is the way it will be. With free agency there will not be viable backups.

Reactions: Jerry
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT