ADVERTISEMENT

Carey Booth enters transfer portal.

He'd be terrific for us, but anytime I see that they might not leave I think that they trying to get an NIL bump.

Reactions: bison13
He’s been in school for one year and already has entered the portal twice. To me, that’s a big red flag.
No red flags for me (especially with last year...anyone will look around once their coach has left). He'd be a good get for us, though I'm sure there would be plenty of competition (and I'd worry he'd want to get closer to home).

Reactions: NJPSU
He’s been in school for one year and already has entered the portal twice. To me, that’s a big red flag.
Or it is par for the course today....

But in his case he doesn't need to be setting up his family...Cal took care of that.

The weather in South Bend is as bad as State College so if he is looking for a bikini school, we ain't it. To walk on Shrew so soon after following him there is the red flag that I see....

Odd that he is leaving. Maybe UC Boulder is his spot? Checks the Home and Team on the Rise boxes, plus is a great town.

Reactions: bison13
I wouldn’t say he’s transferred twice as he just followed the coach who recruited him out of high school to his new school.

Reactions: doctornick
He ain’t PSU bound… I suspect it’s NIL related and Colorado sounds like a good spot for him. Wonder what happened in SB. He played a lot.

He wasn’t very good
I think most people naturally have the expectation that he will be as good as his Dad but that’s just not the case. I’m sure it’s difficult in some respects for any kid whose father was an accomplished professional player. Kind of puts a dent in the Notre Dame building a program with freshmen and sophomores theme.

Or it is par for the course today....

But in his case he doesn't need to be setting up his family...Cal took care of that.

The weather in South Bend is as bad as State College so if he is looking for a bikini school, we ain't it. To walk on Shrew so soon after following him there is the red flag that I see....

Odd that he is leaving. Maybe UC Boulder is his spot? Checks the Home and Team on the Rise boxes, plus is a great town.
Maybe he saw what high school kid is coming next year? Or who in the portal visited the campus?

Have to hope his Dad brought him to State College a good many times when he was growing up as that could help SC be a little like "home" to him. He only followed the coach who recruited him to his new school, just like Ace did, and nobody complained about Ace following his coach to PSU. Rhoades needs some 6'9"+ length depth up front and Booth seems to fit that need very well.

Today kids don't have to work through the hard times. Just transfer and hope it is better. Good luck to the kid on finding what he is looking for.
It's difficult to blame kids for switching colleges employers when they're offered a lot more money.

Sadly the days of D1 college sports being played by college students looking for an education/degree are behind us.

It's difficult to blame kids for switching colleges employers when they're offered a lot more money.

Sadly the days of D1 college sports being played by college students looking for an education/degree are behind us.
This is why I think college football has peaked. I just don’t see the mass appeal that it had in the past continuing with “employees.” I don’t know about basketball. The NBA is so different from the college game maybe basketball popularity can continue.

This is why I think college football has peaked. I just don’t see the mass appeal that it had in the past continuing with “employees.” I don’t know about basketball. The NBA is so different from the college game maybe basketball popularity can continue.
I kind of agree. There is this culture to college sports where you get together and sing the alma mater. The "community" is Penn State (or whatever university). Having said that, there is a lot of passion for the Steelers and Browns. The players are, for the most part, mercenaries who will simply go where they can get the highest dollar.

It irks me that the Guardians have a statue of Jim Thome, who left the team for a larger contract. They recently had Michael Brantly honored who also left for bigger dollars. Why should I honor them? They were here because they got drafted here and were forced to be here until the contracts allowed them to go someplace else.

I think college ball will take on more of a pro-sports feel unless something changes quickly. I've been trying to review my college sports "spend" like I do what streaming services, restaurants, or concerts I invest in. In the end, they all fall into entertainment dollars. That is to say, I am much less emotionally invested.

Reactions: MacNit2.0
Today kids don't have to work through the hard times. Just transfer and hope it is better. Good luck to the kid on finding what he is looking for.
So it's completely ok that the coach can dump him for someone else (ie, as we just dumped several players)...but if the player wants to move along, it's an issue? Why should the commitment be a one-way street?

Same for the job market and unfortunately the people in their lives sometimes. Strong commitments are so old fashion.
Do you think most employers rewarsd a strong commitment? Or, would most do better financially if they're willing to test the waters and move around a bit?

In my industry, that answer is an easy one. Often, the best way to get a promotion or big raise is to give your notice.

So it's completely ok that the coach can dump him for someone else (ie, as we just dumped several players)...but if the player wants to move along, it's an issue? Why should the commitment be a one-way street?
I don't know if PSU "dumped" players in the past. I think we've kept them on 'ships. So the scholarship was pretty much a four-year commitment for both the player and the school. But that has clearly changed. So I feel like the xfer portal forced PSU to be more active in telling players they are no longer welcome.

Reactions: SUPERTODD
No one is saying that the commitment should be a one way street. Some people are saying that if the college game becomes a more poorly regulated version of professional football (as it appears now) what is the incentive to invest in college football? Especially when the caliber of play in the NFL is so much better.

Reactions: EdwardoCarrachio
No one is saying that the commitment should be a one way street.
Really? How would you read a post saying "Today kids don't have to work through the hard times. Just transfer and hope it is better."? Even when Rhoades ran kids off the team, there were posters criticizing the kids for leaving. It's pretty obvious that several have issues with players choosing to transfer, but I never read criticism of coaches moving on from kids (well, I do when it's an SEC school or one of our rivals doing it, but never a big deal when we do it). That to me says that some think the commitment should go one way.

I don't have a problem with a kid leaving. Just sometimes I think they leave thinking they are going to a better situation when the problem is how they have handled their situation. I am looking at it as a growth thing.

I don't have a problem with a kid leaving. Just sometimes I think they leave thinking they are going to a better situation when the problem is how they have handled their situation. I am looking at it as a growth thing.
Agreed. There needs to be some controls around both the xfer portal and NIL. Today, it's a free for all.

Agreed. There needs to be some controls around both the xfer portal and NIL. Today, it's a free for all.
For sure the schools had far too much control in the past, but it is now the wild west. I say let them transfer but there has to be a consequence to doing so.

This is the problem. I used to never miss a Penn State game for any reason. I no longer pay for Penn State football. For me the NFL is a better value proposition and now I never miss a Ravens game. There are multiple reasons but the trend for college football is not good. People like Nick Saban have acknowledged this.

This is the problem. I used to never miss a Penn State game for any reason. I no longer pay for Penn State football. For me the NFL is a better value proposition and now I never miss a Ravens game. There are multiple reasons but the trend for college football is not good. People like Nick Saban have acknowledged this.
I agree but we also have to recognize that Saban made $200m in his coaching career exploiting the system. While people want to point at the all-american he developed, nobody paid attention to the kid that came to AL and blew out his ACL/MCL and only paid special teams in his career. That kid is now working as a bouncer because he couldn't get a decent job as a music therapy major.

my only point is that these kids were exploited for a few decades and now the pendulum is swinging back the other way. The NCAA, in hopes of saving the golden goose, held on way after it was clear that the goose was terminal. Now, due to inaction, it is out of control. Let's hope cooler heads prevail but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

For sure the NFL is fairer. Salary cap. Draft order in reverse of recent performance. It really is about the organization, talent evaluation, team chemistry.... the things that make sports interesting. Sure there is money and big contracts, but an organization that holds onto their top players at too high a salary does so at the expence of the rest of the team.

I don't see college football (or basketball) being that level of a playing field, but the current trends will as commented above cause less fan support.

I have mostly checked out of college football. I still try to watch and care but it gets harder every season.

Thank you for bringing some common sense to the room. It's a huge red flag of taking your ball and going home.

He's not coming to Penn State. Get real people, that's in his rear view mirror.

Really? How would you read a post saying "Today kids don't have to work through the hard times. Just transfer and hope it is better."? Even when Rhoades ran kids off the team, there were posters criticizing the kids for leaving. It's pretty obvious that several have issues with players choosing to transfer, but I never read criticism of coaches moving on from kids (well, I do when it's an SEC school or one of our rivals doing it, but never a big deal when we do it). That to me says that some think the commitment should go one way.
And which kids did Rhodes run-off the team - Clary, Lilley, Ivey. Clary is a loser; Lilley was given the opportunity to be a productive players; Ivey Have no idea.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT