ADVERTISEMENT

"But Jon Don just didn't have the talent at Vandy"

PhillyPhan21

Nov 6, 2015
Weird. Just saw One of his wide receivers catch a game winning TD in the NFL today

Last edited:
Weird. Just saw One of his wide receivers catch a game winning TD in the NFL today
So one wr in the NFL means your loaded with talent? Using your logic Hostra is loaded with talent because Marques Colston is in the NFL. I swear some people post the dumbest things.

Zac Stacy also says hello.
I didn't know that two players made up an entire offense. I mean based on that Paterno has to be one of the worst coaches ever. If all it takes to be a talented team is to have two NFL players then Penn state under achieved when they were fielding teams that half of the starters ended up in the NFL eventually.

I hate to break this to you....but Jordan Matthews committed to Vandy around Christmas in 2009. James Franklin was still on staff at maryland then. I love JF but Jordan Matthews was not recruited by JF or his staff. Matthews was a Bobby Johnson recruit.

Reactions: LaJolla Lion
As a follow up...most Vandy fans still say that JF would not have had the success he had at Vandy without Matthews. Matthews literally caught everything thrown his way. And ironically he was a bobby johnson recruit. Matthews would never have been recruited by JF in all likelihood. Matthews was only a two star kid out of Madison, AL....if memory serves correctly.

Well that clearly shows they had the most talented team in the SEC. The problem with PSU is the OL, is it not? Oh wait, most OC's thrive behind poor OL's. Did Vandy have a great OL, I don't know. Oh wait you watched Vandy games knowing they would be at PSU.

Nobody is putting him or JF on a pedestal, but many here realize that this OL makes play calling a bit tougher. Hell the only thing they could do last year was WR screens. Why? Give some real analysis! You put zero thought into your whining.

Last edited:
OK......where is that guy? Where is that guy with the 150 IQ.....who balances out PhillyPhan in the bell curve?

Come on.....show yourself.....the world needs more smart guys.

Well that clearly shows they had the most talented team in the SEC. The problem with PSU is the OL, is it not? Oh wait, most OC's thrive behind poor OL's. Did Vandy have a great OL, I don't know. Oh wait you watched Vandy games knowing they would be at PSU.

Nobody is putting him or JF on a pedestal, but many here realize that this OL makes play calling a bit tougher. Hell the only thing they could do last year was WR screens. Why? Give some real analysis! You put zero thought into your whining.
Ryan Seymour was a guard at Vanderbilt who was drafted.
Wesley Johnson was a center at Vanderbilt who plays for the Jets.
The offense still stunk under Donovan.

This is fun!

I didn't know that two players made up an entire offense. I mean based on that Paterno has to be one of the worst coaches ever. If all it takes to be a talented team is to have two NFL players then Penn state under achieved when they were fielding teams that half of the starters ended up in the NFL eventually.
There were also 2 NFL caliber linemen at Vanderbilt during this period. Wesley Johnson and Ryan Seymour. What's the next excuse, chief?

So they had a 7th round pick who didn't make the team he was drafted to and then suspended for roids. The other was drafted after they left and is on a practice squad. Yep, that is dominant in the SEC.

You don't even try to think or break anything down. You're the guy saying Joe Montanya in Water boy. Hell Smith is starting for the Bucs and PSU gave up 44 sacks last year. Palmer shouldn't be out there this year, but the coaches want to fail. You really can't see where the problem is. A new OC fixes the OL talent and depth on day one. Got it.

Last edited:
So they had a 7th round pick who didn't make the team he was drafted to and then suspended for roids. The other was drafted after they left and is on a practice squad. Yep, that is dominant in the SEC.

You don't even try to think or break anything down. You're the guy saying Joe Montanya in Water boy. Hell Smith is starting for the Bucs and PSU gave up 44 sacks last year. Palmer shouldn't be out there this year, but the coaches want to fail. You really can't see where the problem is. A new OC fixes the OL talent and depth in day one. Got it.

Do players get drafted if they suck? You're just spinning your wheels now. It's embarrassing. Donovan sucks. Just admit it.

There were also 2 NFL caliber linemen at Vanderbilt during this period. Wesley Johnson and Ryan Seymour. What's the next excuse, chief?
Vanderbilt Offense, PPG:

2008 - 19.2
2009 - 16.3
2010 - 16.9

2011 - 26.7
2012 - 30.0
2013 - 30.0

2014 - 17.3
2015 (to date) - 14.8

Now, unless you INSIST on continuing to display your idiocy.....might I suggest:

th

Do players get drafted if they suck? You're just spinning your wheels now. It's embarrassing. Donovan sucks. Just admit it.

You still have yet to bring anything of substance to the table. Yelling he sucks is great, but looking at why is too tough for you. I get that you think PSU is the most talented team in the B1G and the coaches just suck. This is a dominant OL that gives up 40 sacks a year. Good call.

Vanderbilt Offense, PPG:

2008 - 19.2
2009 - 16.3
2010 - 16.9

2011 - 26.7
2012 - 30.0
2013 - 30.0

2014 - 17.3
2015 (to date) - 14.8

Now, unless you INSIST on continuing to display your idiocy.....might I suggest:

th
The offense was never ranked higher than 75th. Also, go figure their offense falls off after losing Matthews, and Franklin takes the entire recruiting class with him. You said talent matters, right?

You still have yet to bring anything of substance to the table. Yelling he sucks is great, but looking at why is too tough for you. I get that you think PSU is the most talented team in the B1G and the coaches just suck. This is a dominant OL that gives up 40 sacks a year. Good call.
Has Jon Don gotten our O out of the triple digits yet in terms of rankings?

The offense was never ranked higher than 75th. Also, go figure their offense falls off after losing Matthews, and Franklin takes the entire recruiting class with him. You said talent matters, right?

So he walked into a loaded situation at Vandy and PSU. Pretty much like walking into Cloumbus or Tuscaloosa. You did't think this team would win 10, but somehow thought this was a great O just lacking a good OC. In other words you don't like dealing with reality.

As I said:

"Now, unless you INSIST on continuing to display your idiocy....."

Knock yourself out. LOL

So he walked into a loaded situation at Vandy and PSU. Pretty much like walking into Cloumbus or Tuscaloosa. You did't think this team would win 10, but somehow thought this was a great O just lacking a good OC. In other words you don't like dealing with reality.
SMU put up 40 against temple. You think they're 4 times as talented as our players?
Do you think the temple game was poorly coached? Let's see if we can start there, apologist

Actually they were never higher then 61. If you can't see the improvement they made then you are a fool.

Scoring Offense
2013 7 in SEC and 56 Nationally
2012 7 in SEC and 55 Nationally
2011 6 in SEC and 61 Nationally

2010 12 in SEC and 112 Nationally
2009 12 in SEC and 113 Nationally
2008 9 in SEC and 105 Nationally

You keep spinning there. Has the O improved since then? Even with the turn style OL? You went to Vandy and got embarrassed. Now you are trying to go to SMU. Let me know when you get him fired. Try 5th angle?

SMU put up 40 against temple. You think they're 4 times as talented as our players?
Do you think the temple game was poorly coached? Let's see if we can start there, apologist
Teams have off weeks. Using your logic Penn State had a better offense then Oregon. Penn State scored 24 points on Ohio State while Oregon only scored 20 points.

Also, it can't be denied we have talent at the TE position. Jon Don is the TE coach. That unit has greatly underperformed.
At some point you gotta admit he's a weak link in the staff and move on.

Hey 75th ranked offenses may be good enough for Vandy but that's not gonna cut it at PSU.

This staff was better than Vandy's previous staff? Wow, world beaters
You keep spinning there. Has the O improved since then? Even with the turn style OL? You went to Vandy and got embarrassed. Now you are trying to go to SMU. Let me know when you get him fired. Try 5th angle?
y

Also, it can't be denied we have talent at the TE position. Jon Don is the TE coach. That unit has greatly underperformed.
At some point you gotta admit he's a weak link in the staff and move on.
The problem with TE is catching the ball. Since when can coaches make catches?

Hey 75th ranked offenses may be good enough for Vandy but that's not gonna cut it at PSU.

This staff was better than Vandy's previous staff? Wow, world beaters

y
As I said:

"Now, unless you INSIST on continuing to display your idiocy....."

Knock yourself out. LOL

The problem with TE is catching the ball. Since when can coaches make catches?
The TE game was pretty weak last year, as well. In addition to poor catching, the blocking has also been poor from the TE position. Both years. With multiple players.

Also, as for "improvement" this year....
We put up 30+ points on 3 teams who's coaches have been fired or suspended. We put up a measly 20 points to Army. ARMY! We put up 10 points to OSU in a game where our RB had 200 yards. Our schedule is soft, to say the least. Let's see how our offense fares against MSU and Michigan. I have a feeling it won't go to well, and when that happens, we will get a new feast of excuses. Fitting since both games will be during thanksgiving week.

I never thought excuses were the Penn State way, but I guess times are a-changing.

Matthews was the best player on that Vandy team, by far. He was an ARob like player for them -- just a man among boys at the college level. Definitely the reason they won some games.

However, not fair to say Matthews was the only reason JF was successful though. They built a good defense, they recruited well, they built higher expectations around the program.

You gotta remember, the head coach is really not about position coaching or play calling. The head coach is the CEO responsible for overall direction and strategy. And Franklin did a fabulous job at Vandy, and I think he's doing a fabulous job at PSU.

On the field, the results are uneven as we can all see, but a lot of it is simply a young team making mistakes (and with talent holes at two key places -- kicking and OL).
But those talent holes are going to be filled.

I think it's fair to fault the offensive game plan, but at the same time there is a learning curve for coaches too. There are some things the PSU coaches are still learning about playing in the B1G and defeating B1G defenses. Just because O'Brien could pick them apart doesn't mean anybody can.

Franklin has to decide if Donovan can do this job at this level.

But I have to say overall, the team, the whole program is in MUCH better shape than anybody could reasonably expect given they were still under death penalty sanctions up to a season ago.

I didn't think PSU would be competitive till 2016 and not really good until 2017, possible 2018. That's how long rebuilding usually takes.

The fact that Franklin has recruited some amazing young players doesn't change that. When those talented freshmen and sophs are talented juniors and seniors (2017), then you will see the kind of team Penn State can be. Then you can rate Franklin's performance. And I'm pretty confident it's going to be just fine. The talent is there, the position coaching is there, the whole program needs to perform better in games, and they will. The building blocks are either here or they are arriving on campus in the next two recruiting classes.

Reactions: doctornick
The TE game was pretty weak last year, as well. In addition to poor catching, the blocking has also been poor from the TE position. Both years. With multiple players.

They can't catch, and they can't block? Yeah, sounds pretty talented.

As a follow up...most Vandy fans still say that JF would not have had the success he had at Vandy without Matthews. Matthews literally caught everything thrown his way. And ironically he was a bobby johnson recruit. Matthews would never have been recruited by JF in all likelihood. Matthews was only a two star kid out of Madison, AL....if memory serves correctly.
well I wish he would start doing this for the Eagles!!!! That said, yesterday was better.

They can't catch, and they can't block? Yeah, sounds pretty talented.

Jesse James, Kyle Carter, Mike Gesicki have all played in the last two seasons under Donovan.
James and Carter had good seasons under BOB. Gesicki was supposed to be talented. They've all underperformed.
At least James got drafted based on his raw talent and not his 2014 season.

Jesse James, Kyle Carter, Mike Gesicki have all played in the last two seasons under Donovan.
James and Carter had good seasons under BOB. Gesicki was supposed to be talented. They've all underperformed.

You said they couldn't catch and they couldn't block.

th

Give it a rest man. We get it, everyone knows where you stand. Either people agree with you or not

Give it a rest man. We get it, everyone knows where you stand. Either people agree with you or not
I'm just astounded that people are making excuses for the drop off in production at TE. But then again Jon Don could call a Hail Mary on 3rd and inches and some of these people would be saying it was a genius call we just didn't execute.

Quick question: are the Donovan defenders the same people who were John Butler apologists?

Because Shoop was sure able to turn that D around.

But yeah, coaching doesn't matter.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT