ADVERTISEMENT

Brady responds on Facebook post

Obliviax

Aug 21, 2001
I am very disappointed by the NFL’s decision to uphold the 4 game suspension against me. I did nothing wrong, and no one in the Patriots organization did either.

Despite submitting to hours of testimony over the past 6 months, it is disappointing that the Commissioner upheld my suspension based upon a standard that it was “probable” that I was “generally aware” of misconduct. The fact is that neither I, nor any equipment person, did anything of which we have been accused. He dismissed my hours of testimony and it is disappointing that he found it unreliable.

I also disagree with yesterdays narrative surrounding my cellphone. I replaced my broken Samsung phone with a new iPhone 6 AFTER my attorneys made it clear to the NFL that my actual phone device would not be subjected to investigation under ANY circumstances. As a member of a union, I was under no obligation to set a new precedent going forward, nor was I made aware at any time during Mr. Wells investigation, that failing to subject my cell phone to investigation would result in ANY discipline.

Most importantly, I have never written, texted, emailed to anybody at anytime, anything related to football air pressure before this issue was raised at the AFC Championship game in January. To suggest that I destroyed a phone to avoid giving the NFL information it requested is completely wrong.

To try and reconcile the record and fully cooperate with the investigation after I was disciplined in May, we turned over detailed pages of cell phone records and all of the emails that Mr. Wells requested. We even contacted the phone company to see if there was any possible way we could retrieve any/all of the actual text messages from my old phone. In short, we exhausted every possibility to give the NFL everything we could and offered to go thru the identity for every text and phone call during the relevant time. Regardless, the NFL knows that Mr. Wells already had ALL relevant communications with Patriots personnel that either Mr. Wells saw or that I was questioned about in my appeal hearing. There is no “smoking gun” and this controversy is manufactured to distract from the fact they have zero evidence of wrongdoing.

I authorized the NFLPA to make a settlement offer to the NFL so that we could avoid going to court and put this inconsequential issue behind us as we move forward into this season. The discipline was upheld without any counter offer. I respect the Commissioners authority, but he also has to respect the CBA and my rights as a private citizen. I will not allow my unfair discipline to become a precedent for other NFL players without a fight.

Lastly, I am overwhelmed and humbled by the support of family, friends and our fans who have supported me since the false accusations were made after the AFC Championship game. I look forward to the opportunity to resume playing with my teammates and winning more games for the New England Patriots.

Is there any way that O'Brien didn't know about this? I'm sure Brady's been doing this for a while. Bill had to know.

Facebook? Really Tom? I guess it's easier to vent on Facebook than it is to stand up in front of real people and defend yourself. Be a man. Tackle the issue head on and answer questions. Maybe he doesn't want anyone to ask him why exactly he destroyed his phone.

Reactions: psu00
Something doesn't jive here. He knew he was under investigation and knew the cell phone and messages were part of it, but decided to destroy the phone anyway?

"AFTER my attorneys made it clear...." Really??!?!?! After you told the investigating body that you would not allow your cellphone info to be investigated, you decided to destroy it.......what am I missing here?

Brady's going to sue the NFL and win. The NFL is on thin ice here.

I admit that I do not know much about Brady's potential lawsuit, but I am curious what you are basing this opinion on. It is my limited understanding that Brady's lawsuit will involve the NFL's authority to suspend Tom Brady, rather than the merits of whether or not he cheated.

Facebook? Really Tom? I guess it's easier to vent on Facebook than it is to stand up in front of real people and defend yourself. Be a man. Tackle the issue head on and answer questions. Maybe he doesn't want anyone to ask him why exactly he destroyed his phone.

He made the post because his jet set card is in danger of being revoked. He told them a nice story, which they are shallow enough to believe.

Clearly Tom didn't want the NFL (or any eyes) to see his texts, which I cannot blame him. Probably lots of "stuff" not related to deflated footballs TMZ would like to get their hands on.

Reactions: Fila
Here's a question nobody seems to want to address?

Why didn't the game refs do anything during the game about the deflated balls?

These are the men assigned to enforce the rules. They handle the balls before EVERY single play when it's spotted on the hash mark. Shouldn't they, after years of being professional referees, knowing the NFL rulebook cover-to-cover and handling the footballs thousands of times?

I'm not a fan of the Patriots, Brady or Belichick. I think they're guilty of this. But why doesn't the league hold it's zebras to any level of accountability?

Reactions: WeR0206
I admit that I do not know much about Brady's potential lawsuit, but I am curious what you are basing this opinion on. It is my limited understanding that Brady's lawsuit will involve the NFL's authority to suspend Tom Brady, rather than the merits of whether or not he cheated.
Yes. That's correct. It will likely be similar to the notion of whether the NCAA had the right to enact sanctions on PSU and whether it followed its bylaws and the laws governing non-profits, cross-border business transactions, etc. In the Brady case, it will likely focus on whether the NFL had the authority to penalize him, whether it followed its own investigation procedures correctly, whether it somehow violated some of his personal rights afforded under governmental laws, etc. My suspicion is that there are agency and union contract constraints and the NFL violated some of them. At least that seems to be what Brady is alleging in his post.

To be clear, I'm not suggesting he is clean. I'm also not fully informed on what the laws/contracts look like in this setting. I'm just predicting where this goes next.

Here's a question nobody seems to want to address?

Why didn't the game refs do anything during the game about the deflated balls?

These are the men assigned to enforce the rules. They handle the balls before EVERY single play when it's spotted on the hash mark. Shouldn't they, after years of being professional referees, knowing the NFL rulebook cover-to-cover and handling the footballs thousands of times?

I'm not a fan of the Patriots, Brady or Belichick. I think they're guilty of this. But why doesn't the league hold it's zebras to any level of accountability?

IDK. Why don't the zebras call holding on tOSU. Answers to both Qs could be very similar, imho.

Reactions: Judge Smails
Brady is simply a cheater and a liar.
And we as Penn State Fans wonder why the whole world thinks Joe knew and did absolutely nothing. This plus watching the Deflategate thing closely has led me to an understanding that it is all about fandom. If you are a fan of the team you will pay attention to details and look closely at everything that is said. If you hate the team in question you automatically think they are guilty and could care less about facts.

In this situation it makes me absolutely perplexed why so many people believe Roger Godell. This man lied about everything in the Ray Rice saga and has consistently shaded the way he presents info but non Patriot fans are quick to take his word at face value. I see Penn State fans who are all over the Freeh Report as being biased and having an agenda then turn around and fail to see any kind of agenda in the Wells report. We would accept the rebuttal report to the Freeh report but won't even look at or read the rebuttal report to the Wells report.

I know it is far fetched to believe but doesn't it make more sense that Godell needed a new scandal to take the heat off of him and the NFL about the domestic abuse lack of proper punishments. He needed a "hey look over here" issue to distract people from questioning what he knew and when about video on Ray Rice issue.

It is scary that we can see the BOT misdirection and the OAG misdirection and the NCAA misdirection but could care less about the snake Roger Godell doing the same exact thing. This was just plain and simple a great PR opportunity to show the league strong on discipline. People are so short sighted that it has obviously worked.

Take a lie detector test, Tommy.
If you pass, the court of public opinion will be completely on your side and the NFL will relent.
If you fail, all but die-hard Patriot fans will be against you... so then you will shut-up and serve your suspension.

Reactions: 1978lions
IMHO, the NFL lawyers have realized they have little ground to stand on in Federal Court as they are just making this up as they go along. They have all the text messages Tom sent the attendants already from the phones of the attendants. This whole destroying the phone thing is a manufactured media point to force Brady's hand to drop Federal appeal for a reduced sentence. As I look at it this was the only strategy/card they had to play... use court of public appeal to walk away with some type of victory and avoid federal oversight. It is clear to me the NFL had all the evidence in play already to render a decision (one that will never hold up in court) so it's the "destroyed phone strategy or die" approach. And yes, for the record, I am a die hard Pats fan and believe Tom likely encouraged the attendants to get the balls the way he liked them, which was as low as legally possible. This whole thing is akin to suspending a pitcher 40 games for using substance on a baseball. At least in that instance there would be a clearly stated policy to follow. As it stood in 2014 the fine was $25,000 to the team. Goodell is a joke of a crisis manager and has the consistency of a beachball in a hurricane.

And we as Penn State Fans wonder why the whole world thinks Joe knew and did absolutely nothing. This plus watching the Deflategate thing closely has led me to an understanding that it is all about fandom. If you are a fan of the team you will pay attention to details and look closely at everything that is said. If you hate the team in question you automatically think they are guilty and could care less about facts.

In this situation it makes me absolutely perplexed why so many people believe Roger Godell. This man lied about everything in the Ray Rice saga and has consistently shaded the way he presents info but non Patriot fans are quick to take his word at face value. I see Penn State fans who are all over the Freeh Report as being biased and having an agenda then turn around and fail to see any kind of agenda in the Wells report. We would accept the rebuttal report to the Freeh report but won't even look at or read the rebuttal report to the Wells report.

I know it is far fetched to believe but doesn't it make more sense that Godell needed a new scandal to take the heat off of him and the NFL about the domestic abuse lack of proper punishments. He needed a "hey look over here" issue to distract people from questioning what he knew and when about video on Ray Rice issue.

It is scary that we can see the BOT misdirection and the OAG misdirection and the NCAA misdirection but could care less about the snake Roger Godell doing the same exact thing. This was just plain and simple a great PR opportunity to show the league strong on discipline. People are so short sighted that it has obviously worked.

Because many ex-players have come out stating The NE Patriots have a pervasive 'win at all costs' attitude. They look for ways to exploit the rule book, they look for ways to get a 'leg' up on their opponents (video taping opponents' practices), etc. Then there are the fumble statistics - which is where deflated balls would absolutely benefit the ball carrier. Brady is being suspended because he refused to cooperate with The NFL's investigation and the very plausible possibility that he directed the ball handlers to deflate the balls.

Reactions: MichaelJackSchmidt
IMHO, the NFL lawyers have realized they have little ground to stand on in Federal Court as they are just making this up as they go along. They have all the text messages Tom sent the attendants already from the phones of the attendants. This whole destroying the phone thing is a manufactured media point to force Brady's hand to drop Federal appeal for a reduced sentence. As I look at it this was the only strategy/card they had to play... use court of public appeal to walk away with some type of victory and avoid federal oversight. It is clear to me the NFL had all the evidence in play already to render a decision (one that will never hold up in court) so it's the "destroyed phone strategy or die" approach. And yes, for the record, I am a die hard Pats fan and believe Tom likely encouraged the attendants to get the balls the way he liked them, which was as low as legally possible. This whole thing is akin to suspending a pitcher 40 games for using substance on a baseball. At least in that instance there would be a clearly stated policy to follow. As it stood in 2014 the fine was $25,000 to the team. Goodell is a joke of a crisis manager and has the consistency of a beachball in a hurricane.

I was wondering the same thing. What difference does it make if Brady destroyed his phone, wouldn't they be able to get his texts from the people he sent them to (the attendents)?

I was wondering the same thing. What difference does it make if Brady destroyed his phone, wouldn't they be able to get his texts from the people he sent them to (the attendents)?

Because Tom's phone will show EVERYONE he texted with. I bet there are more people he texted with that the NFL didn't speak with. What if Tom's texts someone else and then they go and see the attendants? The attendants phones wouldn't show that.

My question would be, When did the NFL ask for the phone and when did he get rid of it? That would place a little more or less onus on Tom's actions.

Brady's going to sue the NFL and win. The NFL is on thin ice here.

He's got a month to draft a lawsuit, have it be judged upon and appealed (by the nfl). This isn't centre county. It's not going to happen that quick.

Because Tom's phone will show EVERYONE he texted with. I bet there are more people he texted with that the NFL didn't speak with. What if Tom's texts someone else and then they go and see the attendants? The attendants phones wouldn't show that.

My question would be, When did the NFL ask for the phone and when did he get rid of it? That would place a little more or less onus on Tom's actions.

My response is the SECOND the NFL asked him for the cell phone is the time for him to destroy it.

NFL has no business asking for his cell phone. This isn't the FBI.

As someone noted above, a guy like tom Brady is destroying his phone regardless because of TMZ like items. The second that gets into the NFLs hands it's over.

Look at Hulk Hogan as an example.

LdN

He's got a month to draft a lawsuit, have it be judged upon and appealed (by the nfl). This isn't centre county. It's not going to happen that quick.

If there's litigation pending, his lawyer will ask for and undoubtedly receive a temporary injunction permitting him to play until the lawsuit is settled.

Who the heck "destroys" a cell phone anyway? You either keep the same SIM card, or have the SIM data transferred to your new phone. That transfers all the data, including text messages. Even then, nobody takes a hammer to the card, unless you're hiding something.

or he has texts to organized crime and known gambling figures
why does it have to be TMZ type scandals ???

Because we are taught to always believe the worst possible scenario. It's the Louis Freeh principle.

So, basically, any opinion you're rendering here is pulled directly out of your ass. Brady has little chance of prevailing. Article 46 of the NFL CBA gives the commissioner the right to impose discipline for "conduct detrimental to the integrity of, and public confidence in, the game of professional football." He is the sole arbiter of whether conduct is detrimental, and of the punishment to be imposed. Brady will have an incredibly difficult time prevailing because the NFLPA has agreed to let the Commissioner control such situations.

Yes. That's correct. It will likely be similar to the notion of whether the NCAA had the right to enact sanctions on PSU and whether it followed its bylaws and the laws governing non-profits, cross-border business transactions, etc. In the Brady case, it will likely focus on whether the NFL had the authority to penalize him, whether it followed its own investigation procedures correctly, whether it somehow violated some of his personal rights afforded under governmental laws, etc. My suspicion is that there are agency and union contract constraints and the NFL violated some of them. At least that seems to be what Brady is alleging in his post.

To be clear, I'm not suggesting he is clean. I'm also not fully informed on what the laws/contracts look like in this setting. I'm just predicting where this goes next.

Reactions: Ten Thousan Marbles
In order to get an injunction, Brady is going to have to show that he is likely to prevail on the merits. It will be incredibly difficult for him to do so.

If there's litigation pending, his lawyer will ask for and undoubtedly receive a temporary injunction permitting him to play until the lawsuit is settled.

He might get an injunction on the suspension. I agree that the timing is against him. He's more likely to have to sit the suspension and then earn a payout from a settlement on damages.

So, basically, any opinion you're rendering here is pulled directly out of your ass. Brady has little chance of prevailing. Article 46 of the NFL CBA gives the commissioner the right to impose discipline for "conduct detrimental to the integrity of, and public confidence in, the game of professional football." He is the sole arbiter of whether conduct is detrimental, and of the punishment to be imposed. Brady will have an incredibly difficult time prevailing because the NFLPA has agreed to let the Commissioner control such situations.

There will still likely be a suit.

Because many ex-players have come out stating The NE Patriots have a pervasive 'win at all costs' attitude. They look for ways to exploit the rule book, they look for ways to get a 'leg' up on their opponents (video taping opponents' practices), etc. Then there are the fumble statistics - which is where deflated balls would absolutely benefit the ball carrier. Brady is being suspended because he refused to cooperate with The NFL's investigation and the very plausible possibility that he directed the ball handlers to deflate the balls.
So does every other NFL team. Brett Favre said he inflated his game balls to over the amount of pressure. The 49ers had a litany of things they did to skirt the rules including salary cap manipulation as well as Jerry Rice admitting to using Stick-em even though it was illegal. They all push the boundaries not just the Patriots. This is a tiny issue that is being blown up to astronomic proportions. Why? If we as PSU fans have learned anything it should have been to question the Why of the situation. You don't like the Patriots so you want them to get hit hard. Please stop complaining when people think Penn State should pay through the nose. They are just doing what you are doing here.

On the fumble statistics I beg to differ there. the slight difference in ball pressure does not equate to a different feel on the ball. Several NFL players have said they could not feel the pressure difference. Why is it so pervasive a thought that the ball would be easier to hold on to? I have not looked at the info so I don't know the stat but how many times did they fumble in the Jets game where Brady was so mad because the officials pumped all the game balls up so after the game they were reading at 16lbs/sq in? I would be interested to see if that made a difference. I think they don't fumble because if you do you sit. It is a huge point of emphasis. They have backs who are good to average NFL backs that have a history of holding on to the football. They change them out and get the same results. Do you have data on the backs that leave New England and their fumble rate after they leave vs their fumble rate while there? I think it is because they pay a lot of attention to it every day. Maybe every NFL team should do that.

Reactions: Fila
No matter how you slice it he is a liar.
I can understand why some think the "scandal" is no big deal.
But I can't understand how anybody is so naive they believe his continual arrogant lying.
(And no, the NFL can't force him to give them his phone, but it would be more honest for him to refuse to do so rather than make up some transparent lie that only the most foolish who think he is being persecuted believe.)
Nor will he win his case in court. He was caught cheating and everybody knows it. He is just making a bigger fool of himself and everybody who defends him. (Interesting no one is defending those who actually did his bidding by deflating the ball and have already been suspended. Does anyone really think they would have done this without his requesting it?)

Last edited:
I recently got a speeding ticket for doing 70 in a 55 zone. My excuse, "everyone else was speeding". I still KNEW I was speeding and breaking the rules.

Reactions: psualt
If the NFL attorneys believe they have little ground to stand on, then why wouldn't they settle at all cost? Otherwise, it would seem to me that they know they're in good shape for a courtroom battle, and can prove the tommy hasn't been forthcoming throughout the process.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT