ADVERTISEMENT

Best wrestling club training program in PA - thoughts?

bwfight

Feb 6, 2014
With the rise of M2, Steller Trained, and well established clubs like Young Guns, what clubs are producing the best results?
Has anyone looked at PIAA champs, Fargo, Super 32, etc. to measure the impact these clubs are having?

Redhawk (District 11 feeder) had a real good run then a little lull. It is coming back around and actually expanding to 2 locations.
Click on alumni tap. Pretty impressive.

Last edited:
Reactions: bwfight
With the rise of M2, Steller Trained, and well established clubs like Young Guns, what clubs are producing the best results?
Has anyone looked at PIAA champs, Fargo, Super 32, etc. to measure the impact these clubs are having?
Part of the problem is a lot of these kids now wrestle for multiple clubs. Bassett/Gibson/Forrest for example all train at YG,M2 and whatever Bassett's dungeon is called.

Part of the problem is a lot of these kids now wrestle for multiple clubs. Bassett/Gibson/Forrest for example all train at YG,M2 and whatever Bassett's dungeon is called.
Are top end clubs being referred to in this thread a lucrative profession? How many kids participate on average do you think and what are the rates if anyone knows?

Are top end clubs being referred to in this thread a lucrative profession? How many kids participate on average do you think and what are the rates if anyone knows?
I feel it turns lucrative when you have enough people paying dues. Feels like m2 has so many kids wrestling. Also with the beginning of girl's wrestling it opens the world to more people to join.

Steller Trained has made a significant impact on D1. I know it is located in D3, but close to the border and there are many southeastern PA wrestlers training there.

AAA had 25 medals, the most of any region, and went 124-127 (.494) which is the best I can remember them doing since the mid-2000s. If you eliminate the 5th qualifier (which did not add any medals) they went 114-101 (.530) which would put them in between the NE and SW this year.

Add in AA which had 9 medals - I can't remember D1 ever having more than 1 or 2 before FCA came along - with a winning percentage of .694

Between AAA and AA, D1 has 23 kids coming back next year who have already won state medals and 4 champs coming back. There were many, many years that they haven't won that many medals including the SRs and they've only had that many champs maybe once or twice in the last 30 years. And that is just the baseline for next year. I would bet they are 35+ medals and at least half a dozen champs next year, maybe more.

Malvern is not getting any worse, so it's not from some influx of private school kids (the one kid who did go from National Preps to AAA was ruled ineligible or you would have added a champ and another medal to the totals).

FCA added to this, but if you remove AA, the numbers are still way up. And most of those kids were D1 anyway.

I can't think of any other factor besides Steller to attribute this to. You see their kids all over in the off-season, we have kids from our school (other end of the district) that make the hour and 15-minute trek all the time. I think Chance has really got something going that rivals M2 and Young Guns.

Steller Trained has made a significant impact on D1. I know it is located in D3, but close to the border and there are many southeastern PA wrestlers training there.

AAA had 25 medals, the most of any region, and went 124-127 (.494) which is the best I can remember them doing since the mid-2000s. If you eliminate the 5th qualifier (which did not add any medals) they went 114-101 (.530) which would put them in between the NE and SW this year.

Add in AA which had 9 medals - I can't remember D1 ever having more than 1 or 2 before FCA came along - with a winning percentage of .694

Between AAA and AA, D1 has 23 kids coming back next year who have already won state medals and 4 champs coming back. There were many, many years that they haven't won that many medals including the SRs and they've only had that many champs maybe once or twice in the last 30 years. And that is just the baseline for next year. I would bet they are 35+ medals and at least half a dozen champs next year, maybe more.

Malvern is not getting any worse, so it's not from some influx of private school kids (the one kid who did go from National Preps to AAA was ruled ineligible or you would have added a champ and another medal to the totals).

FCA added to this, but if you remove AA, the numbers are still way up. And most of those kids were D1 anyway.

I can't think of any other factor besides Steller to attribute this to. You see their kids all over in the off-season, we have kids from our school (other end of the district) that make the hour and 15-minute trek all the time. I think Chance has really got something going that rivals M2 and Young Guns.

There was a nice article about Steller in the Reading paper a couple weeks ago.

"Steller Trained" wrestling club taking region's wrestlers to new heights

(Could be behind paywall depending on browser settings)

I know for sure (with the younger kids) Coach Deputy is doing awesome things with Orchard in New Paris.

Good stuff Diceman ! Thanks for your insight 👍

Steller trained! They are the new big dawgs in town. How much do the wrestlers actually train there? Is it a monthly club or drop in club.

I asked a co-worker about elem, his kids are in youth. He said Orchard and Mat Assassins are the best. I asked about Faith, Becca and Mcort if they even have elem. He said they have small feeders.

Steller Trained also gets a decent number of D11 kids at least periodically, since it's only an hour from Allentown. Rath trains there.

I'd still say M2 is the best club because the market says so. So many wrestlers who are willing to travel significant distances to train there.

Kasak trained there -- 3+ hrs each way. Levi trained there -- 2+ hrs each way. Cole Karpinski (state finalist from Greenville, now at Army) trained there -- 2.5 hrs each way. Etc.

Plus all the kids that live 90 min or less away -- everyone from State High, Central Mountain, McCort, etc.

Steller had 63 kids that qualified for the PIAA AA and AAA state tournament last week.

Someone I am close to has attended M2 a few times, and Steller because its much closer. He has said nothing but great things about training at M2 and DT, and also loves training at Steller. Says Chance is amazing and has helped him so much with the wrestling part, but just as important the mental aspect.

As for the western part of PA, I want to say that Young Guns is still the place to be club wise, but it seems to be a little less of a sure thing nowadays. Bad Karma, Quest and even All American are putting out good wrestlers pretty regularly these days

One would think Iowa's Bobby Telford would be spending some time up in yous parts, not to mention ☆. A cooler climate do them some good. That or binge watch that old Lee Majors skit.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT