ADVERTISEMENT

"Best Useof Time and Talent" - Bogasto Barron Strikes Again!

Alas, the old football is evil bit. When those music recruits bring in hundreds of millions of dollars for the university, then I'll gladly spend as much on them as the weight room. Until then, be happy the football team provides this university funds to even have a music department at all.

Lol. That's a pretty big leap of faith there, 94.

That's because Julliard has a reputation that goes back 100+ years. Plus they are situated in NYC across the street from Lincoln Center. That is what makes the equation so different -- not the current talent at either place. In PSU's case the facilities will come first or nothing will substantially change.

And Indiana is not across the street from Lincoln Center (and, btw, Juilliard is in Lincoln Center). I suspect that the facilities will be about it for PSU.

And Indiana is not across the street from Lincoln Center (and, btw, Juilliard is in Lincoln Center). I suspect that the facilities will be about it for PSU.
I'm not sure I understand what's wrong with the music faculty from your perspective.

Sigh. I'm done. I've spent a career recruiting in this field and have a pretty good idea of what works at various types of institutions. Believe what you want.

There's nothing particularly wrong with it; it's okay, not great.
Okay I wasn't sure if there was something specific. I think our music faculty are actually pretty accomplished in a number of areas, particularly the choral faculty. I don't think we're close enough to major venues to attract the best in the world. But for a regionally relevant music program I think we do pretty well.

If PSU wants to recruit top talent to it's music program, it's priority should be to invest in faculty rather than facilities. It has a long way to go to catch up to places like Indiana, Michigan, and the conservatories.

Exactly what would be the value of doing so? The arts are pretty much worthless.

Last thing we need is more people who have worthless degrees begging for their college debt to be paid by those who are working.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT