ADVERTISEMENT

Best US cell phone service when traveling through Europe?

ChiTownLion

May 29, 2001
On Cricket right now, which means my only method of communication will be via third party apps like WhatsApp and Viber on wifi.

Wondering if it's worth switching over for a carrier that allows for some kind of roaming throughout Europe. If such a thing even exists. Maybe just buy prepaid mobile phones when we get out there?

I haven't used it traveling yet, but Google Fi is cheap ($20 unlimited calls/text, $10/GB data for exact usage). The data rate is the same in hundreds of countries, but voice has roaming charges. They operate on Sprint, T-Mobile and US Cellular towers in the us. If you're interested let me know and I can give you a referral link, gets both of us a billing credit after you're on it for a short time. When I switched only a handful of phones worked with their service but I think they've since expanded that to include a lot more devices.

Reactions: ChiTownLion
On Cricket right now, which means my only method of communication will be via third party apps like WhatsApp and Viber on wifi.

Wondering if it's worth switching over for a carrier that allows for some kind of roaming throughout Europe. If such a thing even exists. Maybe just buy prepaid mobile phones when we get out there?

Tmobile is free roaming in most of Europe. 2g I think. Then you can pay up for better service.

LdN

I haven't used it traveling yet, but Google Fi is cheap ($20 unlimited calls/text, $10/GB data for exact usage). The data rate is the same in hundreds of countries, but voice has roaming charges. They operate on Sprint, T-Mobile and US Cellular towers in the us. If you're interested let me know and I can give you a referral link, gets both of us a billing credit after you're on it for a short time. When I switched only a handful of phones worked with their service but I think they've since expanded that to include a lot more devices.

My son is doing a semester in Barcelona as we speak. Google Fi has served him well as he's already visited other countries on weekend trips and has had zero issues. We use Google Duo for calls and video chats when he's on wifi and it's free for those calls/videos.

You can buy a Motorola phone that is designed for Google Fi for $99 online or slightly more at Best Buy. And the monthly service prices are as noted by PSUSignore.

A lot of major carriers such as AT&T and Verizon now offer daily international plans where you pay $10/day when you use your phone for calls or data. You only pay for the days that you use it and the data comes off of your plan with no roaming charges. Below is link to the details on AT&T

https://www.att.com/offers/international-plans/day-pass.html

I do biz in US, Canada, Mexico and the UK. I use facetime audio with my clients there. I use skype with android users. If you are communicating with family members that use apple products

Reactions: Obliviax
A lot of major carriers such as AT&T and Verizon now offer daily international plans where you pay $10/day when you use your phone for calls or data. You only pay for the days that you use it and the data comes off of your plan with no roaming charges. Below is link to the details on AT&T

https://www.att.com/offers/international-plans/day-pass.html
I have used the AT&T plan in Costa Rica last year and have it on all the phones for me the wife and kids and plan in using it in the Summer when we cruise the Mediterranean- had no issues in Costa Rica but had the kids just use the WiFi to keep the costs down.

Traveling Europe isnt too bad with only relying on wifi. Most places have free wifi and you can download google maps offline to rely on GPS still without service. Not saying you shouldn't get a service for your trip as I know nothing about it or your typical phone usage, but I just use wifi when I do trips to Netherlands and Germany for work. I also hardly use voice, everything is data based for my job and my lifestyle.

As suggested, Fi is a solid choice at $10/GB and $0.25/min (I think) for calls.

T-Mobile is probably the best overall, especially if you travel frequently. Not only do all plans include some free international roaming (starting at 128 kbps) but they now offer a Global Plus (https://www.t-mobile.com/support/plans-features/global-plus-15gb) plan which includes 15 GB of full speed data, 5 GB of tethering (for your laptop or other device), and includes no cost voice roaming along with some other benefits like free Gogo in-flight for your phone.

I used to have ATT's Unlimited Worldwide plan years ago and it truly was unlimited anywhere ATT had a roaming agreement. This TMO plan is about as close to that offering as there is today.

We just spent a month in Italy with T-Mobile and it was dreadful -- not just 2g but 2G throttled down to around 128k.

If you don't really need to have your phone number for texts/calls while you're abroad, a better way to go is just buy a data sim (assuming you have an unlocked phone). So you get email, maps, the web and just arrange with your friends/family to use WhatsApp for texting and calling.

One good bet is the Dataroam/Cellhire sims sold on Amazon. We've found them to be reliable, they work all over Europe. (I would avoid the Three.com sims, they are less reliable) You can also buy a sims at most European airports and in most big cities.

Here's a 4GB sim for $25 which should hold you for a couple of weeks. Amazon product ASIN B07FKVS8R3

Tmobile is free roaming in most of Europe. 2g I think. Then you can pay up for better service.

LdN

Load What's App on your phone. It's free and you can text and email for free which should cover the necessary communications.

I go on Reddit travel boards all the time and most people are now going the e-sim route. You can get it set up beforehand and not have to hunt for a SIM card when you land.

Reactions: RochLion
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT