ADVERTISEMENT

Beau Bartlett on Which Penn State Guys Are Taking Olympic Redshirts

Not to ignore the eye test. Not only was Beau different this past year down a weight but he generally improved throughout the year, as was most evident during the tourney.

90% of wrestling is mental, with confidence being a huge component.

The down side of our room for some is having limited success as a freshman, then pushing an arguably 133 sized :) kid into service at 149 to get horsed around a bit, can't be great for one's confidence.

There is a strong argument that Beau is a different animal mentally since say late February last season. I'll toss in a near victory in free vs National team member Nick Lee as further evidence.

We can discuss percentages all day long but the net-net is Beau's trajectory is clearly up, up, up.

Not to ignore the eye test. Not only was Beau different this past year down a weight but he generally improved throughout the year, as was most evident during the tourney.

90% of wrestling is mental, with confidence being a huge component.

The down side of our room for some is having limited success as a freshman, then pushing an arguably 133 sized :) kid into service at 149 to get horsed around a bit, can't be great for one's confidence.

There is a strong argument that Beau is a different animal mentally since say late February last season. I'll toss in a near victory in free vs ***National*** team member Nick Lee as further evidence.

We can discuss percentages all day long but the net-net is Beau's trajectory is clearly up, up, up.
*World* team member.

National team is top 3; Nick is that AND the world team member.

Going from 5.5 to 7.5 is 36% (correction thanks to TN). But take away the 20 points and 18 points Beau scored at the beginning of the season, then that's going from 5.5 to 6.6 points resulting in an increase of 18%.

Finally, go sell that to someone else. Coming out of high school, wasn't Beau supposed to be a high flying scorer? Yeah, I guess like Joe Paterno used to say back in the days: "We must lower our standard." Is that what you're trying to sell? That turned out well for Joe after saying that, right?
Even with the cherry picked stats, 18% is usually considered a significant increase in most applications, too.

You apologists crack me up. Since Beau hasn't lived up to your hype of him coming out of high school, must throw out the "We're doomed now" so to make you look like a genius. Congratulations. But I won't be looking for your expertise in the future. I know, that breaks your heart I am sure.

But for me, I will still root for Beau to do well (he will). Last year was a step in the right direction. I hope he will score more, but at this point, I am more interested in seeing him winning than scoring more points (i.e. bonus points) so not to overwhelm him (and myself) with expectations. If he does score more points, that's just icing on the cake.
Eat Protein Bar GIF by SnickersUK

You apologists crack me up. Since Beau hasn't lived up to your hype of him coming out of high school, must throw out the "We're doomed now" so to make you look like a genius. Congratulations. But I won't be looking for your expertise in the future. I know, that breaks your heart I am sure.

But for me, I will still root for Beau to do well (he will). Last year was a step in the right direction. I hope he will score more, but at this point, I am more interested in seeing him winning than scoring more points (i.e. bonus points) so not to overwhelm him (and myself) with expectations. If he does score more points, that's just icing on the cake.
The “we’re doomed” meme is drenched in sarcasm. I’m not the one nitpicking here. And what/who are we apologists for - the best coaching staff in college sports? If so, guilty as charged.
giphy.gif

Of our 10 projected starters, which ones are not eligible for an Oly? Insane.

BTW - I am starting to think cadet worlds medals shouldn't count. Likewise only the top two at the prior NCAAs should gain eligibility. The reality is nearly all have little chance of being our top representative.

These percentages and numbers ate ridiculous, the only number that matters is 8:

Scoring
Wrestlers

You're welcome. Mic drop. Thread over.

I am easily impressed by a 3rd place finish at NCAAs and 4th at WTT with a win over Ashnault. If that doesn;t impress you then your opinion isn't worth much,
Your opinion isn't worth much because we're talking about offensive points/scoring and not about placing or freestyle. If you can't differentiate that, then I question your analysis or that your reading comprehension needs a lot of work.

Your opinion isn't worth much because we're talking about offensive points/scoring and not about placing or freestyle. If you can't differentiate that, then I question your analysis or that your reading comprehension needs a lot of work.
It's still wrestling. The ability to get to a leg and put someone on their ass. He's demonstrated a better ability to do that recently than he had before. Visible improvement.

He scored multiple TDs on Nick Lee. I can't think of anyone besides Yianni, Evan Henderson and JO that can say that in the last couple of years, domestically.

It's still wrestling. The ability to get to a leg and put someone on their ass. He's demonstrated a better ability to do that recently than he had before. Visible improvement.

He scored multiple TDs on Nick Lee. I can't think of anyone besides Yianni, Evan Henderson and JO that can say that in the last couple of years, domestically.
I've already given Beau credit for some offensive improvements in my initial post. I would like to see more (of course). I am not counting on freestyle as he has always performed well there with the elite wrestlers, albeit losing to all, from Bryce Meredith to Nick Lee. The folkstyle is what is tripping him up against the elite wrestlers. Would like to see him shoot more with confidence. But if he doesn't, I can live without it and that he continues with his progression. Maybe he's not an offensive type of wrestler like Nolf (who is, right?) and others, but is more of a counter. Maybe he's more like a Dake, i.e., counter offense + stingy defense.

Last edited:
I've already given Beau credit for some offensive improvements in my initial post. I would like to see more (of course). I am not counting on freestyle as he has always performed well there with the elite wrestlers, albeit losing to all, from Bryce Meredith to Nick Lee. The folkstyle is what is tripping him up against the elite wrestlers. Would like to see him shoot more with confidence. But if he doesn't, I can live without it and that he continues with his progression. Maybe he's not an offensive type of wrestler like Nolf (who is, right?) and others, but is more of a counter. Maybe he's more like a Dake, i.e., counter offense + stingy defense.

Dake had 28 bonus, 18 of which were pins, out of 37 matches his senior season. I'd be happy with that kind of "counter offense + stingy defense" for any Penn State wrestler.

Reactions: jsn4388 and hlstone
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT