ADVERTISEMENT

Beau Bartlett on Which Penn State Guys Are Taking Olympic Redshirts

NittanyLion84

Jan 24, 2016
PA - D9
Beau talks about his first year of wrestling, he could have been a 133 pounder. Says athletic positions is where he wants to take matches to this year, because that’s his strength, does not want to win close matches anymore, wants to score. The answer to the above title, Beau said the coaches, other teammates and the suspected wrestlers do not know yet what they are doing about an Olympic redshirt. Says his confidence is up and he’s very excited to compete this year.

Beau talks about his first year of wrestling, he could have been a 133 pounder. Says athletic positions is where he wants to take matches to this year, because that’s his strength, does not want to win close matches anymore, wants to score. The answer to the above title, Beau said the coaches, other teammates and the suspected wrestlers do not know yet what they are doing about an Olympic redshirt. Says his confidence is up and he’s very excited to compete this year.

Hate to say it, but I will believe it when I see it in regard to him scoring more. He says this every year he's been here. But the good news is that, even though his scoring wasn't much better than when he was at 149, Beau won more close matches and went deeper in the NCAA last year. So I am fine with him winning more close matches moving forward. If he scores more, it's a bonus.

Reactions: JimNazium
Hate to say it, but I will believe it when I see it in regard to him scoring more. He says this every year he's been here. But the good news is that, even though his scoring wasn't much better than when he was at 149, Beau won more close matches and went deeper in the NCAA last year. So I am fine with him winning more close matches moving forward. If he scores more, it's a bonus.
I am very hopeful for a new Beau this year. It’s clear, wrestling up at 149, when he potentially could have made 133, had a negative toll on his approach to wrestling and he took a hit to his overall confidence. He seemed to have made a breakthrough at NCAA’s and almost taking out Lee shortly thereafter seems to confirm that. In another recent video, discussing his first 2 years, he was questioning whether he knew how to wrestle at all, mainly from the beat downs he was receiving in the room. Almost all wrestlers entering the Penn State Wrestling room experience this, in the beginning, most are not deterred, they are confident they will improve, some have trouble with not being dominant right out of the gate and some never recover, but others do. I’m positive Beau is the type that will recover, I am very optimistic we see an entirely different approach by Beau this upcoming year. He seems to have rediscovered his mojo. We will see.

Last edited:
Doesn’t know. It was a teaser title.
Good. It's so stupid to think that taking an ORS will help to make the team. If it's so bad to wrestle folk why is Steveson coming back?

Last edited:
Good. It's so stupid to think that taking an ORS will help to make the team. If it's so bad to wrestle folk why is Steveson coming back?
I think it may be more of an issue for an Olympic tweener weight guy, like Carter. It will be a challenge wrestling 174 in college and then trying to make 163 (74kg) shortly thereafter.

Not sure if there are any other guys with as big of a weight discrepancy. It will be interesting to see what happens next season.

Wish the Olympics would go back to 10 weights.

Last edited:
I think it may be more of an issue for an Olympic tweeter weight guy, like Carter. It will be a challenge wrestling 174 in college and then trying to make 163 (74kg) shortly thereafter.

Not sure if there are any other guys with as big of a weight discrepancy. It will be interesting to see what happens next season.

Wish the Olympics would go back to 10 weights.
Fortunately for Carter I think he can start descending during the season and still win a title. Lol

IMO, what Carter does will determine what others will do. If he takes an Oly RS, then Haines, Mesenbrink, and Facundo can all fit into the line-up. If not, one of them will take a RS in one form or another.

IMO, what Carter does will determine what others will do. If he takes an Oly RS, then Haines, Mesenbrink, and Facundo can all fit into the line-up. If not, one of them will take a RS in one form or another.
Does Alex have an option for an Oly RS?

I can't think of any wrestlers that made the team the year they took an OlyShirt.

What?
In 2022, he had 15 wins, scoring 61 points in those wins, and he had two falls. Scoring average for the wins was 4.07. 10 wins were decided by one or two points.
In 2023, he had 27 wins, scoring 191 points in those wins, and he had three falls. Scoring average for the wins was 7.07. 7 wins were decided by one or two points.

What?
In 2022, he had 15 wins, scoring 61 points in those wins, and he had two falls. Scoring average for the wins was 4.07. 10 wins were decided by one or two points.
In 2023, he had 27 wins, scoring 191 points in those wins, and he had three falls. Scoring average for the wins was 7.07. 7 wins were decided by one or two points.
There ya go injecting logic and actual statistics into a discussion…. How dare you!

What?
Below data is from Wrestlestat:

Points scored (not including falls) for 2023:
-203 points with an average of 7.5 points/match
(3 Falls)
-(Note: if you take away the two matches near the beginning of the season where Beau scored 20 and 18 points respectively, the average falls to 6.6 points/match)

Points scored (not including falls) for 2022:
-121 points with an average of 5.5 points/match
(2 Falls)

That's 2 points difference. Either I am difficult to be impressed or that you are easily impressed. You can decide. But if you notice that I didn't say Beau didn't score more. I said his score from 2022 to 2023 "wasn't much better," which implies the differences were not too great. 2 points is not that great.

There ya go injecting logic and actual statistics into a discussion…. How dare you!
You must be easily impressed with the 2 points difference (1 point difference if you take away the matches near the beginning of the season).

Confirming that he could have made 133 in 2022 definitely lends some perspective to his originally saying that he wasn't going 149 and was going to challenge Lee for 141 instead. We all (likely including Beau himself) knew that was a fool's errand that we mostly wrote off as young arrogance, but I do better understand the reticence to go to 149 in a conference like the B1G if you're walking around at 138-140 or something. It's a tough situation coming into a room with reigning national champs at the two weights where you could compete and then being asked to go up to a weight where you know you're too small but there is a giant hole in a potential national championship lineup. Much respect that he did that, and even qualified for NCAAs.

Below data is from Wrestlestat:

Points scored (not including falls) for 2023:
-203 points with an average of 7.5 points/match
(3 Falls)
-(Note: if you take away the two matches near the beginning of the season where Beau scored 20 and 18 points respectively, the average falls to 6.6 points/match)

Points scored (not including falls) for 2022:
-121 points with an average of 5.5 points/match
(2 Falls)

That's 2 points difference. Either I am difficult to be impressed or that you are easily impressed. You can decide. But if you notice that I didn't say Beau didn't score more. I said his score from 2022 to 2023 "wasn't much better," which implies the differences were not too great. 2 points is not that great.
Well, you can parse that data several ways. You choose to say a 2 point increase is not that great. And numerically it sure doesn't sound like much. But when the base was 5.5 points a match and increased to 7.5 points a match, that's a 36% increase. Now, again, that may not sound like much, but for athletes and teams that are already competing at a high level, a 36% increase in production is, in most cases, gonna be a pretty impressive increase.

Penn State football scored 25.00 points per game in 2021 and went 7-6 (ugh). They increased that to 35.77 points per game in 2023 (a 43% increase) and went 11-2 and everyone was pretty darn thrilled with the turnaround. Much better. Penn State basketball scored 64.6 points per game in 2021-22 and went 14-17. They increased that to 72.2 points in 2022-23 (just a 12% increase) and went 23-14 and got to the second round of the NCAA tourney. Most fans were ecstatic about that. Much better. Penn State ice hockey scored 3.1 goals per game in 2021-22 and went 17-20. They increased that a measly 6% to 3.3 points per game in 2022-23 and went 22-10 and also got to the second round of the NCAA tourney. Pretty nice, and much better!

Granted, I'm using team stats, but the point remains for individual stats. I mean, using the major sport currently in-season, MLB players average around a .250 batting average. A 36% increase would jump one to a .340 batting average which in most years is going to put them right there for a batting title (It would have won both league's titles the last two years).

Point being, I think the end-of-year-result going from a DNP at NCAA's to a 3rd-place at NCAA's is much better. And that 36% increase in scoring helped, therefore in my mind his score was much better. As you said, you can decide.

You must be easily impressed with the 2 points difference (1 point difference if you take away the matches near the beginning of the season).
Smee phrased it very well, and bottom line I am impressed by any of our athletes putting up with all the pressyre and also being a student, and performing. Bottom line he said he has wanted to score more, and he is….. whether you (or myself) are impressed or not probably doesn’t matter to him.

Note: Well, if you take away a few of his losses, it makes his stats look better. Wut? If my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle. I guess we'll have to set some ground rules on how we're going to selectively parse Beau's match stats.

Smee phrased it very well, and bottom line I am impressed by any of our athletes putting up with all the pressyre and also being a student, and performing. Bottom line he said he has wanted to score more, and he is….. whether you (or myself) are impressed or not probably doesn’t matter to him.
I already gave Beau credit in my original post in winning more matches upon moving down to 141. But as far a scoring like how Cael wants him to, no, he's not there (yet). That's why I said I will take a wait-n-see mode.

Well, you can parse that data several ways. You choose to say a 2 point increase is not that great. And numerically it sure doesn't sound like much. But when the base was 5.5 points a match and increased to 7.5 points a match, that's a 36% increase. Now, again, that may not sound like much, but for athletes and teams that are already competing at a high level, a 36% increase in production is, in most cases, gonna be a pretty impressive increase.

Penn State football scored 25.00 points per game in 2021 and went 7-6 (ugh). They increased that to 35.77 points per game in 2023 (a 43% increase) and went 11-2 and everyone was pretty darn thrilled with the turnaround. Much better. Penn State basketball scored 64.6 points per game in 2021-22 and went 14-17. They increased that to 72.2 points in 2022-23 (just a 12% increase) and went 23-14 and got to the second round of the NCAA tourney. Most fans were ecstatic about that. Much better. Penn State ice hockey scored 3.1 goals per game in 2021-22 and went 17-20. They increased that a measly 6% to 3.3 points per game in 2022-23 and went 22-10 and also got to the second round of the NCAA tourney. Pretty nice, and much better!

Granted, I'm using team stats, but the point remains for individual stats. I mean, using the major sport currently in-season, MLB players average around a .250 batting average. A 36% increase would jump one to a .340 batting average which in most years is going to put them right there for a batting title (It would have won both league's titles the last two years).

Point being, I think the end-of-year-result going from a DNP at NCAA's to a 3rd-place at NCAA's is much better. And that 36% increase in scoring helped, therefore in my mind his score was much better. As you said, you can decide.
No duh... winning more matches when Beau moved down to 141 wasn't the point. His attack rate to score points was the point. The board has said many times that he has one of the quickest attacks they've seen, but too bad he wasn't willing to pull the trigger enough in a match. Are you disputing this? If so, try to go back to this past season and check out some of the comments from some of the board's well known posters/experts on Beau's matches.

Note: Well, if you take away a few of his losses, it makes his stats look better. Wut? If my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle. I guess we'll have to set some ground rules on how we're going to selectively parse Beau's match stats.
I feel like I am talking to a 6 year old kid.

No duh... winning more matches when Beau moved down to 141 wasn't the point. His attack rate to score points was the point. The board has said many times that he has one of the quickest attacks they've seen, but too bad he wasn't willing to pull the trigger enough in a match. Are you disputing this? If so, try to go back to this past season and check out some of the comments from some of the board's well known posters/experts on Beau's matches.
No, I'm disputing this: "I said his score from 2022 to 2023 'wasn't much better,' which implies the differences were not too great. 2 points is not that great." I'm suggesting a 36% scoring increase IS much better and IS great. (although I'd prefer it be labeled "debating" rather than "disputing", but toe-may-toe, ta-mah-toe)

You apologists crack me up. Since Beau hasn't lived up to your hype of him coming out of high school, must throw out the "We're doomed now" so to make you look like a genius. Congratulations. But I won't be looking for your expertise in the future. I know, that breaks your heart I am sure.

But for me, I will still root for Beau to do well (he will). Last year was a step in the right direction. I hope he will score more, but at this point, I am more interested in seeing him winning than scoring more points (i.e. bonus points) so not to overwhelm him (and myself) with expectations. If he does score more points, that's just icing on the cake.

Last edited:
No, I'm disputing this: "I said his score from 2022 to 2023 'wasn't much better,' which implies the differences were not too great. 2 points is not that great." I'm suggesting a 36% scoring increase IS much better and IS great. (although I'd prefer it be labeled "debating" rather than "disputing", but toe-may-toe, ta-mah-toe)
Going from 5.5 to 7.5 is 36% (correction thanks to TN). But take away the 20 points and 18 points Beau scored at the beginning of the season, then that's going from 5.5 to 6.6 points resulting in an increase of 18%.

Finally, go sell that to someone else. Coming out of high school, wasn't Beau supposed to be a high flying scorer? Yeah, I guess like Joe Paterno used to say back in the days: "We must lower our standard." Is that what you're trying to sell? That turned out well for Joe after saying that, right?

Last edited:
Going from 5.5 to 7.5 is 26% (not 36%). Take away the 20 points and 18 points Beau scored at the beginning of the season, then that's going from 5.5 to 6.6 points resulting in an increase of 16%.

Finally, go sell that to someone else. Coming out of high school, wasn't Beau supposed to be a high flying scorer? Yeah, I guess like Joe Paterno used to say back in the days: "We must lower our standard." Is that what you're trying to sell? That turned out well for Joe after saying that, right?
Your math is wrong. Going from 5.5 to 7.5 is a 36% increase. Going from 7.5 to 5.5 is a 26% decrease. To find the % change from the original number, you divide the difference by the original number. As a example, we can all agree that going from 5.5 to 11.0 is a 100% increase: divide the difference (11.0-5.5) by the original number (5.5).

Your math is wrong. Going from 5.5 to 7.5 is a 36% increase. Going from 7.5 to 5.5 is a 26% decrease. To find the % change from the original number, you divide the difference by the original number. As a example, we can all agree that going from 5.5 to 11.0 is a 100% increase: divide the difference (11.0-5.5) by the original number (5.5).
You're right. Thanks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT