ADVERTISEMENT

Arizona State University president: "I would have fired Joe Paterno"

As a university president, he probably associates with people of the frazier/dambly/peetz ilk. His life is very likely about lying and kissing ass to get what he wants. That is often the case for people in his position.
Top definition

Virtue Signalling

To take a conspicuous but essentially useless action ostensibly to support a good cause but actually to show off how much more moral you are than everybody else.

He should have been fired after the 2003 season but TC and GS did not have the courage to do the right thing.

Reactions: Osprey Lion

"Here it's this notion we build into our culture of maximum diligence for the safety of our athletes," Crow said. "It's zero tolerance. You can't always prevent something from happening, but you can take immediate action the second you hear about it.

"My reaction to the facts of the Penn State case going all the way back to the incident that was reported by the assistant coach (Mike McQueary) to the head coach (Joe Paterno) to the athletic director (Tim Curley) was that the assistant coach and the head coach were remiss in their duty. I would have fired both of them, I don't care who they are. And if I got fired after that, they'd still be fired."
What a jackass!

Hey now. Don't be taking shots at Arizona State. Arizona State is the largest community college in the United States.
Did you get that from the Cal cheerleading team? That very sentiment has been expressed many times before, loudly, in California Memorial Stadium.

I don't understand. He as University president would have fired Joe. However, the university president (Spanier) had knowledge of the incident (who knows exactly how much).

In other words he would have to fire himself since he was at the top of the food chain of knowledge? Or, he would have to fire Joe to cover his own ass because Joe knew everything? I don't understand his point. He obviously doesn't know what went down.

Of course, C/S/S had way more knowledge than Joe.

This idiot is basically saying he would have fired the two people who reported the matter to the top administrators at PSU, which would have included himself, if he's pretending to be in Spanier's shoes.

I hate our BOT!

Of course, C/S/S had way more knowledge than Joe.

This idiot is basically saying he would have fired the two people who reported the matter to the top administrators at PSU, which would have included himself, if he's pretending to be in Spanier's shoes.

I hate our BOT!
Any wonder why nobody at MSU remembers anything. You report CSA by the book and you're toast. I guess that's one way to fix a problem.

He should have been fired after the 2003 season but TC and GS did not have the courage to do the right thing.
Yup. And therefore he got what he deserved.
hasty%20generalization.jpg

Anytime anybody starts complaining about the PSU scandal, I point out that just about every D1 school in the country has mishandled a sexual assault case by a student athlete....you can't be a little bit pregnant, you either handle this stuff correctly or you do not. Most schools do not. An internet search would probably uncover these types of stories at most major D1 athletic programs.

Reactions: 91Joe95
WTF does this even mean? He would have fired them as soon as they reported it? Or he would have fired them at some point before they actually were fired?

He just sounds dumb.

I think he's saying he would want to shame those who properly reported CSA.

Reactions: indynittany
I think he's saying he would want to shame those who properly reported CSA.

Yeah I think what he is saying that anybody that makes reports like this up the chain of command should be fired. A university president does not want to hear these types of reports. He thinks those below him should coverup stuff like this so he does not have to hear about it.

Assumed there was no way he was on twitter, but there he is.
Not that it is likely he will respond to you, but should he man up and engage in a twitter conversation, please share his wonderful insights. I know you will. I'm sure many of us would like to read more of his outstanding words of (lack of) wisdom.

OL

Last edited:
Assuming you are talking about on field performance, I'm pretty sure the 2005 and 2008 seasons prove you wrong.

I’m this guy’s defense, it does seem to be standard protocol now to just fire people and wash your hands of a situation before getting the facts.

"Here it's this notion we build into our culture of maximum diligence for the safety of our athletes," Crow said. "It's zero tolerance. You can't always prevent something from happening, but you can take immediate action the second you hear about it.

"My reaction to the facts of the Penn State case going all the way back to the incident that was reported by the assistant coach (Mike McQueary) to the head coach (Joe Paterno) to the athletic director (Tim Curley) was that the assistant coach and the head coach were remiss in their duty. I would have fired both of them, I don't care who they are. And if I got fired after that, they'd still be fired."

Here-say
Reporting structures
shield laws

Sure Crow. You would have fired someone for doing what they were supposed to, had ZERO first hand knowledge, and who wasn't allowed to know much of anything by law. Uh Huh.

I don't understand. He as University president would have fired Joe. However, the university president (Spanier) had knowledge of the incident (who knows exactly how much).

In other words he would have to fire himself since he was at the top of the food chain of knowledge? Or, he would have to fire Joe to cover his own ass because Joe knew everything? I don't understand his point. He obviously doesn't know what went down.

very few actually know what went down. The BoT and Louis Freeh supported a false narrative and journalists today have zero interest in actual journalism. The few people who have actually looked into the case, have been ridiculed by the ignorant herd searching for clicks and eyeballs.

Reactions: indynittany
I’m this guy’s defense, it does seem to be standard protocol now to just fire people and wash your hands of a situation before getting the facts.
Does the term 'don't shoot he messenger' ring a bell?

This fool is saying that if he was in Spanier's shoes, he would have fired the two employees that reported the incident. So in an era where the mantra has become "If you see something, say something", he's saying, "If you see something, keep your mouth shut if you want to hold onto your job." How can you defend that?

Reactions: berklion
Does the term 'don't shoot he messenger' ring a bell?

This fool is saying that if he was in Spanier's shoes, he would have fired the two employees that reported the incident. So in an era where the mantra has become "If you see something, say something", he's saying, "If you see something, keep your mouth shut if you want to hold onto your job." How can you defend that?

Indy, that is an idiotic response. My response was pretty clearly sarcastic. Take a deep breath, have a drink, step away from the computer and Sandusky mess for a few moments. Re-center yourself.

Reactions: LaJolla Lion
Indy, that is an idiotic response. My response was pretty clearly sarcastic. Take a deep breath, have a drink, step away from the computer and Sandusky mess for a few moments. Re-center yourself.
Maybe not so clearly sarcastic.

And my response is spot on as it pertains to Michael Crow.

Not that it is likely he will respond to you, but should he man up and engage in a twitter conversation, please share his wonderful insights. I know you will. I'm sure many of us would like to read more of his outstanding words of (lack of) wisdom.

OL
He's dodging it. Posted this tweet two hours ago (his first since the article was published):

Reactions: Zenophile
very few actually know what went down. The BoT and Louis Freeh supported a false narrative and journalists today have zero interest in actual journalism. The few people who have actually looked into the case, have been ridiculed by the ignorant herd searching for clicks and eyeballs.
The world judges Paterno, Penn State Football and Penn State University on a "Story" which was constructed by the OAG & Harrisburg which only contained false information, misinformation and known lies. Then, Freeh announced to the world that the OAG's version of legally doctored speculation was "public reality". Case OVER!!!

Without the OGBOT involvement in this fiction, this all would have been impossible. IT WAS AN INSIDE JOB!!!

WHY....Certain members of the BOT were politically tied to and beholding to PA State officials...when given the option to stand up and do their job for PSU (and what was "right"), they took the easy "weasel way out" road....take advantage of the PA State associations influence, money and other benefits and just...... "MOVE ON".

As long as there is no alternate "Story" (usually called "reality") WIDELY made public, the criminally distorted "Penn State Scandal" will exist as "public truth". This "Story" permits more lies built on lies. This is what serves as the basis for ASU's statement on Paterno.

This is the way it is today..... in a society where "multi-media" controls the public's perception of right and wrong. We have abdicated America as a "society ruled by law" and replaced it by America run by the Media Talking Head - Political correctness, assumptions and accusation. Public convictions using these standards remove the need for judgements based on facts anymore and make basic legal principals just plain useless. Facts only seem to ruin these media constructed "Stories".

Wait...why the fvck is a president from ASU even commenting on Joe 6+ years after the fact? Does news just travel slowly to/in the desert?
He was obviously asked about it for the article.

Everyone is losing their minds and it’s most likely the result of a half assed journalist trying to fill up space.

Be honest with yourselves, saying Joe/MM/TC were remiss is hardly a great insult compared to what others have said a top their soapboxes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT