ADVERTISEMENT

APR out for 2013-2014

Disappointing, but considering the turmoil surrounding the program, probably not unexpected. It is right at the National Average of 956, and it is the lowest in the BigTen. Whether it is a good barometer or not, I can't really say, but I have no doubt it will be used against us.

Last edited:
Reactions: psu1969a
Whatever it may mean, a review of all Big 10 school's football APR for 2013-2014, PennState's 256 is the lowest. I thought that the APR was basically worthless.

Reactions: mbahses
Disappointing, but considering the turmoil surrounding the program, probably not unexpected. It is right at the National Average of 956, and it is the lowest in the BigTen. Whether it is a good barometer or not, I can't really say, but I have no doubt it will be used against us.

Transfers and drop outs hurt it. You really need to look at the GSRs. This is only about keeping players eligible.

Reactions: ChiTownLion
Whatever it may mean, a review of all Big 10 school's football APR for 2013-2014, PennState's 256 is the lowest. I thought that the APR was basically worthless.

Penn State's APR was negatively impacted by the transfers that were allowed/encouraged by the NCAA in 2012. Unless Franklin/Barbour screw things up, the number should improve from here on out.

Reactions: mbahses
Penn State's APR was negatively impacted by the transfers that were allowed/encouraged by the NCAA in 2012. Unless Franklin/Barbour screw things up, the number should improve from here on out.

Yup. We can thank the usual cast of lack-of-characters.

Reactions: Rutgers85
Keep just enough guys eligible each year, though most of them won't graduate. As you said, good metric. Way to go, ncaa. :rolleyes:

It's a good metric. The problem is that you don't understand what the two metrics are actually measuring.

If you understand the dynamics behind the measurements, then yes it would be reason to celebrate. If you are clueless about what they actually measure, then yes it gives you an opportunity to show your ignorance and gloat.

It's a good metric. The problem is that you don't understand what the two metrics are actually measuring.

I noticed that you ridiculed without saying anything. Nice.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
I noticed that you ridiculed without saying anything. Nice.

And what exactly did your earlier post do other than ridicule?

And I also noticed that your response didn't claim "yes I do understand them" - because you obviously don't.

Claiming that the fact that there is a disparity between GSR and APR demonstrates that the APR measurement is poor is exactly like saying that George W's dismal performance in office demonstrates that Obama is a poor president. There is no correlation between Bush's performance in office and Obama's. And there is no correlations between today's APR and today's GSR.

GSR measures the academic performance of your athletes who entered school 6-10 years ago.

APR measures the academic performance of athletes who have been in school the last 4 years.

Those are two very different measures and you shouldn't expect a correlation between the two.

What you should expect is a correlations between TODAY's APR and the GSR numbers years down the road. So, even if you say that GSR is the only good measurement, then you have to appreciate APR since it projects what your future GSR numbers will be.

If you understood the measurements, you would know that and you wouldn't spout off about what a bad measurement APR is.

And yes, if you are Wisconsin, you do celebrate your APR because it shows that you have likely fixed your graduation rate issues and your GSR is going to reflect that in a few years.

Last edited:
And what exactly did your earlier post do other than ridicule?

And I also noticed that your response didn't claim "yes I do understand them" - because you obviously don't.

Claiming that the fact that there is a disparity between GSR and APR demonstrates that the APR measurement is poor is exactly like saying that George W's dismal performance in office demonstrates that Obama is a poor president. There is no correlation between Bush's performance in office and Obama's. And there is no correlations between today's APR and today's GSR.

GSR measures the academic performance of your athletes who entered school 6-10 years ago.

APR measures the academic performance of athletes who have been in school the last 4 years.

Those are two very different measures and you shouldn't expect a correlation between the two.

What you should expect is a correlations between TODAY's APR and the GSR numbers years down the road. So, even if you say that GSR is the only good measurement, then you have to appreciate APR since it projects what your future GSR numbers will be.

If you understood the measurements, you would know that and you wouldn't spout off about what a bad measurement APR is.

And yes, if you are Wisconsin, you do celebrate your APR because it shows that you have likely fixed your graduation rate issues and your GSR is going to reflect that in a few years.

I ridiculed the idea of the APR, but I didn't ridicule anyone here. You, on the other hand, came in here and started right in ridiculing me.

Now I will ridicule you. Why are you being a dick? We were having a simple conversation of APR. If you disagree with some of our posts, just post the opposing position. If people are wrong, just post the correct information. Don't ridicule.

Look at the flow of the thread and look at the tone of your posts. What the hell are you doing?

I ridiculed the idea of the APR, but I didn't ridicule anyone here. You, on the other hand, came in here and started right in ridiculing me.

Now I will ridicule you. Why are you being a dick? We were having a simple conversation of APR. If you disagree with some of our posts, just post the opposing position. If people are wrong, just post the correct information. Don't ridicule.

Look at the flow of the thread and look at the tone of your posts. What the hell are you doing?

A Michigan flunky who never went there tried this like 10 years ago with the APR is more important and was laughed off here.

A Michigan flunky who never went there tried this like 10 years ago with the APR is more important and was laughed off here.

lar is knowledgeable and likely has good things to offer on this subject, but I am not going to wade through his unprovoked insults to read his posts. I don't get his tone. Even if he was frustrated by a lack of understanding, all he had to do was clarify the matter in a clear, concise way. He started right in with insults for no reason.

lar is knowledgeable and likely has good things to offer on this subject, but I am not going to wade through his unprovoked insults to read his posts. I don't get his tone. Even if he was frustrated by a lack of understanding, all he had to do was clarify the matter in a clear, concise way. He started right in with insults for no reason.

He has his points but the APR differs from school to school. Consider keeping Big Kat Katz eligible by taking AIDs Awareness and Golf and someone like John Urshel. Who should have the easier path?

Fine - you draw a difference between ridicule of concepts (APR) and institutions (NCAA) and the ridicule of people. I don't draw that distinction. As far as I'm concerned, you set the tone, not me.

Think of it this way - I bet if someone was on here ridiculing Penn State, you'd jump all over them. What's the difference?

Both the APR and GSR are horseshit, purposely designed by the NCAA to be easily manipulable so that schools are not embarrassed .

I can agree with that. Manipulated by the individual institutions. But the APR is still the biggest pile of BS.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT