ADVERTISEMENT

Any truth to the rumor?

I'm not complaining. I'm disputing the idea that Julian Fleming is somehow coming to PSU to be even a shadow of his clearly unrealistic 5 star top 10 recruit in the country rating.
He has proven after 4 years at OSU to be at his very best (last year) and when healthy, their #4 go to pass receiver. I am taking issue with the star zombies that he is anything but experience "depth" that could be a valuable piece if Cephas fails his spring classes, or there is a snag and he doesn't show. However, to inspire the sheer fanboy excitement that "Fleming is coming....Fleming is coming" is a knee slapper. Even more hilarious is the thought that if he leaves OSU, it weakens them.
Personally, I am fine with Lambert Smith, Cephas and Wallace. I saw great potential in McLain and Evans as well. Julian will soon be 23, has a bum shoulder and has been passed over by younger, healthier and more talented WR at OSU.
If the rumor is true, and James Franklin sees fit to bring him in, I'll be his biggest fan and pray for a "rebirth" of his once thought to be great potential. I am an old Southern Columbia Tiger....even a former teammate of his Grandpa. I have nothing against the kid. I would just prefer to develop the room as it is and o

nly bring in a 2 or 3 year eligible transfer.......or if an absolute clear #1 should somehow appear in the portal (and that would go for any position).

If YOU rank Fleming as OSUs #4 and OSU has the best receiving corp in the country then isn't Fleming at least PSUs #4? Isn't Fleming behind 3 5*s?

Where Lambert smith be on OSUs roster?

Reactions: DUNNELLONFLBUCK
If YOU rank Fleming as OSUs #4 and OSU has the best receiving corp in the country then isn't Fleming at least PSUs #4? Isn't Fleming behind 3 5*s?

PSU doesn't need to use another scholarship to obtain a #4 WR.

But if he comes to PSU it weakens OSU...LOL

Who cares that he's 23? And being passed by thr kids at Ohio State isn't not being good enough to start here. None of this makes any sense. Ignore the rating coming out of high school. He produced more, despite the injuries, last year as the 3/4 receiver than anyone we have. That's just a fact. Ideally we add him and Lemonious-Craig. WR and DT are our positions of need. To ignore kids because they're older or are behind elite receivers at Ohio State doesny make sense.
First he isn't in the portal. Second, he adds nothing PSU doesn't have in that room already. Plenty of 4* talent in the WR room.
Bring in a #1 or a transfer with 2 or 3 years of eligibility.

Fleming obviously is going to play for OSU this year. So him not being there hurts their team.
Or, it gives one of their other 5 star young WR's a chance to break out and contribute more than Fleming would have. Which might be the scenario with the higher probability given that Fleming had a number of years to break out (and didn't) and his stats are pretty weak for all the opportunities he had with great QB's, and also the chance he gets hurt again and is sitting anyway.

I do find it interesting that this discussion last year was very swayed to "Fleming has been hurt; he's just in his 3rd year; he's behind NFL guys" and now he's basically peaked and won't ever contribute any more as a Buckeye.

First he isn't in the portal. Second, he adds nothing PSU doesn't have in that room already. Plenty of 4* talent in the WR room.
Bring in a #1 or a transfer with 2 or 3 years of eligibility.
Who says he's not our #1. He's accomplished the most in college by far.

Fleming obviously is going to play for OSU this year. So him not being there hurts their team.
LOL....you are so slow.....If Fleming is leaving its because he has been told or he sees that he is 4 or below. How much would that hurt OSU. Ouch....LOL
Storm Duck killed PSU by leaving right?

Who says he's not our #1. He's accomplished the most in college by far.
Fleming was the 3rd starter for OSU last year and that is saying something. Take a look at the 247 Composite ratings for the 11 WRs currently listed on their roster - all are mid 4 stars or higher. His skills are top notch and would start for all other B1G schools. He just needs to stay healthy for a change and that's a huge problem for him unfortunately. He has really decent speed, is strong and has great hands, and runs solid routes.

But he will be challenged big-time for the 3rd starter position by Ballard, true freshman Tate (who had a tremendous Spring), and 2nd year Kyion Grayes. All 3 have off the charts skills. OSU knows they have to get Ballard some serious minutes this year or he'll end up in the Portal.

I get a ton of info from the OSU websites (mostly Eleven Warriors) but also info from my son in law who is an OSU grad and actually knows a couple of their coaches - he lives in Delaware Ohio. But you have to take Eleven Warriors with a grain of salt as they have a few fan boys over there. And if you listen to what the staff says, Ballard has the best overall skill set, especially his speed - he's the fastest WR on the roster. His one problem - he'll run the wrong route or make the wrong cut occasionally, If he can get that figured out, the sky's the limit

Safe to say we are all wasting our time in this thread. While it has brought some fun, it seems the rumor has no traction.
While this rumor may have no traction, their WR room has more talented contenders than spots/paying time available.

It will be interesting to see how they can keep all of these highly rated and ultra-competitive athletes happy. Particularly with social media world and the portal availability.

While this rumor may have no traction, their WR room has more talented contenders than spots/paying time available.

It will be interesting to see how they can keep all of these highly rated and ultra-competitive athletes happy. Particularly with social media world and the portal availability.
Its easy, the best play. The hard part is getting a former 5 star prospect to admit they may be better off elsewhere.

They won't stay happy - already strong chatter on their sites that they'll have a few Portal transfers at both WR and RB - especially at WR. Could see 2 to 3 WRs from the 2022 class transfer out as they've basically been recruited over.

I did find this article from one of their sites - from Buckeye Wire ? - and they've indicated that Fleming will be the 3rd WR with Ballard backing him up. With the depth they have, you could see them rotate 6 to 7 WRs this season which will cut down on the individual stats.

With the depth they have, you could see them rotate 6 to 7 WRs this season which will cut down on the individual stats.

Who do you take off the field to do that though?

MHJr and Egbuka are going to be on the field if healthy for the majority of the snaps. They use 1 TE a lot as well. The competition is primarily for a 3rd WR. Having a 4th at that high of a level (and a 5th, 6th, maybe 7th) is just excellent depth that means you can withstand a starter being hurt without collapse.

Regardless, the Buckeyes are wondering more about who can successfully deliver the throws to these studs and who is going to bookend the OL.

Reactions: royboy
Who do you take off the field to do that though?

MHJr and Egbuka are going to be on the field if healthy for the majority of the snaps. They use 1 TE a lot as well. The competition is primarily for a 3rd WR. Having a 4th at that high of a level (and a 5th, 6th, maybe 7th) is just excellent depth that means you can withstand a starter being hurt without collapse.

Regardless, the Buckeyes are wondering more about who can successfully deliver the throws to these studs and who is going to bookend the OL.
From what I've read and heard, they feel pretty good about McCord and Brown (injured) at QB. I think their biggest problem and concern is their offensive line - especially quality depth. But consistently protecting them could be an issue - right now anyways

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT