ADVERTISEMENT

Am I alone in Paterno disdain?

PSUSRD

Nov 30, 2014
I May get some slack for this. Am I the only one who wasn't a fan of Paterno, the final 12-15 years of his career? I think he should have retired after the 1999 season. Because he refused to retire, we have now wallowed in mediocrity, for the past 15 years(minus a season here or there).
Don't get me wrong, I love, love, love him as a person. But I did not like him as a coach, towards the end of his career!
Now, when I'm out and about and I have on my PSU gear(which is pretty much every day), all that people ever want to do, is talk about JVP, when all I wanted do is talk about future of the team, and players.
So, am I alone in my refusal to want to talk about Paterno?
This is why I REFUSE to give a crap about 409(because I feel he should've retired15 years ago).
I am not knocking athe man at all, this is just how I feel!
What he accomplished will NEVER, be rivaled!!!
I am a huge Penn State fan! I follow recruiting, recruiting visits , and any other miscellaneous stuff about the program!
The last game I missed, was versus Ohio State, in 2000(stupid wedding).
Anyhow, is anybody else with me...... Are you a diehard Penn State, while not wanting to celebrate the last 15 years of Paterno's career.
Again, I do not mean to demean the man, or the program, this is just how I feel!
I feel like the only Penn State fan on earth, that isn't a huge JoePa(as a coach in his later years) fan?
So....does anyone Else share my sentiments?

I May get some slack for this. Am I the only one who wasn't a fan of Paterno, the final 12-15 years of his career? I think he should have retired after the 1999 season. Because he refused to retire, we have now wallowed in mediocrity, for the past 15 years(minus a season here or there).
Don't get me wrong, I love, love, love him as a person. But I did not like him as a coach, towards the end of his career!
Now, when I'm out and about and I have on my PSU gear(which is pretty much every day), all that people ever want to do, is talk about JVP, when all I wanted do is talk about future of the team, and players.
This is why I REFUSE to give a crap about 409(because I feel he should've retired15 years ago).
I am a huge Penn State fan! I follow recruiting, recruiting visits , and any other miscellaneous stuff about the program!
Anyhow, is anybody else with me...... Are you a diehard Penn State, while not wanting to celebrate the last 15 years of Paterno's career.
Again, I do not mean to demean the man, or the program, this is just how I feel!
I feel like the only Penn State fan on earth, that isn't a huge JoePa(as a coach in his later years) fan?

No.

I agree he stayed way too long, but that does not justify the attacks on him as someone who looked the other way re: child abuse. These are unfair and unfounded by any evidence and have distorted his legacy forever. Those of us who enjoyed his success will not let his name be besmirched without responding.

I think you've lost context, IMHO. Think about it, in the late 90's was the emergence of cable TV and high speed internet. At that time, high school kids became superstars and college teams went national. Joe didn't like it. He still wanted freshmen to not play, kids to NOT come in early. He didn't adopt SEC reasoning. He stuck to "team first" with an emphasis on education.

I don't feel like "the game" passed him by. I think he stuck to his values. While I was not happy with several loosing seasons, I admire Joe for sticking to his values and persevering for the sake of his players.

I understand you can fault Joe as a coach, but don't fault him for being a "man".

My point is, just once, I want to go to a sports bar, and find a fellow fan , that doesn't INSTANTLY talk about JVP.

Your comments are a "bridge to far" as far as I am concerned. People think its piling on a dead guy. Joe's faults his last 10 years have been discussed adnauseum on this board. Best advice is to move on.

Reactions: mbahses
I think there is very valid argument that could be made that the Sandusky saga would not have been as magnified or sensationalized as much if he had retired and was no longer the coach in 2011.

I think some people share your sentiments regarding when he should have retired, but he didn't retire. That does not change the injustice he suffered one little bit. Failing to retire in accord with the preferred schedule of some fans (and BoT members) is not something for which one ought to unjustly have his reputation destroyed--especially a rep as glowing as Joe's was.

The problem with an excessive focus on the deceased coach is that it permits the other side to dismiss you as unserious when you complain about it and say the BoT must go. I WISH the only fallout for PSU was that Joe's rep was outrageously tarnished. But that is not the only problem, and it is certainly not the one with the most long-lasting effect. Joe's reputation as a decent and honorable person will be restored when the BoT which treated him so harshly and unfairly is destroyed.

OTOH, that is the BIG SHINY OBJECT in this event--"Joe was held up as a saint but he was really evil." that is what they have said as a cover for the ways they destroyed the University's reputation.

Last edited:
I'm with you. Joe had a great career and was a great humble man for many years, but he hung on way too long and nobody had the cajones to fire him. He coached until he was 85, plus his staff, with a few exceptions, was weak. He became selfish and defensive because he knew he should retire, but couldn't make himself do it. His press conferences were a joke and he clearly didn't want to do them. As for recruiting, they were getting by on the brand name, that he had established over those many years. It certainly wasn't due to effort. I really looked forward to his retirement and a rebirth of PSU football, but then the scandal and sanctions hit delaying that rebirth until hopefully, about NOW.

Again.....my main point.....just ONCE, I want to be wearing my PSU gear, and have someone NOT bring him up within .5 milliseconds of them seeing my PSU shirt(whether or not they are a PSU fan....most of the time, they are). 99.999999999% of PSU fans I meet want to INSTANTLY talk about him.
I have ZERO desire to talk about him and the past/want to concentrate on the future. I fell like I am on an island, feeling this way.

yes!!!!!!!!

Am I the only one who wasn't a fan of Paterno, the final 12-15 years of his career?

Yeah, that 11-1 season in 2005 was BRUTAL. Going 4-1 in bowl games from 2005-2009 was really tough sitting through. Two 11-2 seasons in 2008-2009 was torture. There was a 5-year stretch there with 4 losing seasons, but other than that? I quite enjoyed every single year of the Paterno era.

It didn't hurt that we consistently were in the top ten in graduation rates too.

You are not alone. But what you want won't happen for awhile. Joe Paterno was the face of Penn State for decades, and the BoT chose to publicly destroy his reputation and in turn Penn State's reputation to a large extent. That public disgrace will drive general Penn State conversation for years until Franklin establishes himself as the real deal, which I believe he will.

This is what's so ironic about the "move on" sentiment from the BoT. Due to their actions, we can't.

You are not alone. But what you want won't happen for awhile. Joe Paterno was the face of Penn State for decades, and the BoT chose to publicly destroy his reputation and in turn Penn State's reputation to a large extent. That public disgrace will drive general Penn State conversation for years until Franklin establishes himself as the real deal, which I believe he will.

This is what's so ironic about the "move on" sentiment from the BoT. Due to their actions, we can't.
Great post. Joe was the penn state brand, like it or not. the smart people "got that". We didn't need to be Ohio State, we needed to be Penn State....and that served the greater "brand" (as well as the football scholar-athletes).

What is funny, is that people still think in terms of "football"..the "football culture." That's wrong. Joe transcended football and the football culture. He stood for "doing it the right way." That's what these idiots on the BOT missed. Joe was the sun that made their stars invisible. In so doing, they've all ruined their decades of hard work. And, they cost penn state and the local community hundreds of millions of dollars. Congrats on that.

I thought Joe should have left sometime around 2000. But, Joe reinvented himself and got his program back on track and proved me wrong. That was a pretty good task for a guy in his late 70s. That's not to say there weren't any problems in his system. But, he still made things work.

I don't know how you would talk about PSU football or anything else without talking about Joe. He was the mainstay of the football program for 45 years. He had lots of success on and off the field and many stories about each. They're good talking points.

I'm not sure what the conversation is you're looking for. Do you only want to talk about CJF or BOB? The only thing left is the Sandusky mess, and most people have their minds made up.

Reactions: wslee1
I agree he stayed way too long, but that does not justify the attacks on him as someone who looked the other way re: child abuse. These are unfair and unfounded by any evidence and have distorted his legacy forever. Those of us who enjoyed his success will not let his name be besmirched without responding.

I think most agree that Joe stayed too long but the BOT had full authority to force his retirement if they wanted to do so.

The unfair attacks aren't just aimed at Joe. They are aimed at the entire Penn State Family. How many times have you heard discussions about "our culture" or "football was placed before anything else" or that "everybody knew" about JS? Alumni take that personally. We want to clear Joe's name because we want to clear our name.

I thought Joe should have left sometime around 2000. But, Joe reinvented himself and got his program back on track and proved me wrong. That was a pretty good task for a guy in his late 70s. That's not to say there weren't any problems in his system. But, he still made things work.

I don't know how you would talk about PSU football or anything else without talking about Joe. He was the mainstay of the football program for 45 years. He had lots of success on and off the field and many stories about each. They're good talking points.

I'm not sure what the conversation is you're looking for. Do you only want to talk about CJF or BOB? The only thing left is the Sandusky mess, and most people have their minds made up.

Here is my question: Is Joe defined by football? Is Penn State defined by football? To those questions, I'd answer "no." So why is it people only think about Joe, circa 1999 to 2011, in terms of football? He transcended football and became Penn State. He put education before football....what is wrong is that the BOT branded him as just the opposite.

Yeah, that 11-1 season in 2005 was BRUTAL. Going 4-1 in bowl games from 2005-2009 was really tough sitting through. Two 11-2 seasons in 2008-2009 was torture. There was a 5-year stretch there with 4 losing seasons, but other than that? I quite enjoyed every single year of the Paterno era.
It didn't hurt that we consistently were in the top ten in graduation rates too.

I agree with every word.

If you don't want to talk to people about Joe, then don't wear your Penn State gear. It's a cause and affect issue - you cause the affect to happen. Stop creating the cause and the affect won't occur.

Popcorn-02-Stephen-Colbert.gif
jimmy-fallon-popcorn.gif
michael-jackson-eating-popcorn-o.gif

I think disdain is way too strong of a word. A lot of fans (myself included) saw Joe hanging on as something they lived with because after 50+ years, he deserved to go out on his own terms. I still believe that but people forget that Paterno was 67-21 from '05-'11, including 2 conference titles and 4-2 in his last 6 bowls with wins over FSU, Tennessee, Texas A&M and LSU. By the standard of 99% of the schools out there, that's decent performance for a guy losing his edge and not recruiting...problem is, it still was not as good as it could have been.

Reactions: WDLion and bdgan
I think a lot of people ( if they're completely honest) would agree that JVP coached long past his prime. But his chapter in Penn State history is so important to who/what we are as a community that it's hard to look past how he was so undeservedly wronged by the Judas' on the BoT. So it is absolutely valid to criticize his performance in the latter stages of his career; however, it's entirely unjust to destroy his legacy so that a few bad "leaders" could cover their asses.

I do not share your sentiments. Because Joe Paterno was a great football coach while winning as ethically as anyone ever has...because he was a visionary in college athletics...because he was a great fund raiser for Penn State...because he was a great ambassador for Penn State...because he was a decent and honorable man...for all those reasons and so many more, I want to celebrate every moment of his career. In doing so I am not precluded from enjoying the present, and future, of our program, but the Paterno era was as golden as any, for any school, in the history of college football. I will savor the memories...the great players, the great games, the great times, and a great coach....for as long as I live.

you likely meant to say "flak"... though some here are giving you some slack

with the benefit of hindsight, one of Joe's greatest characteristics was also his greatest flaw: stubborness

he will run up-the-gut four consecutive times from inside the five just as he'd keep showing up to field squads into his late-seventies and eighties... it was who he was

Reactions: therod
Get lost PSU....TURD

Hmmm....a bit ironic for you to start a thread about your "refusal to want to talk about Paterno"?

No doubt, a very astute observation my friend! The reality is that Johnny douchebag here WANTS to talk about Paterno but wants to limit the conversation to pejoratives, denigration and character assassination of Paterno and his legacy. This includes blaming Paterno for the BOT's via Freeh's FALSE AND UTTERLY BASELESS ACCUSATIONS against not only Paterno but the entire "culture and community" at PSU (including PSU's fanbase) - and former Attorney General and then Governor, Tommy Scumbucket Corbett, was the most powerful member on that BOT and was the tyrant who led the charge to unjustly destroy Paterno and all things Penn State in a disgraceful display of political and judicial abuse. IOW, Johnny dip-stick here is too stupid to realize that he has been smeared, judged and adjudicated with the same unjust brush and kangaroo court - the poster wants us to believe that it is Paterno's fault that he has been judged, ajudicated and labeled a supporter of pedophilia due to wearing PSU garb when it is quite clear that his beef is with the purveyor of the false accusations and the entire tyranny - the very people who have unjustly and maliciously libeled and slandered not just JVP, but also the entire football program, the University at large and the ENTIRE PSU community! So if Johnny Half-wit were as remotely upset at the perpetrators of this injustice as he claims, he would be pointing his canons at the perpetrators of this tyranny, not at Joseph Vincent Paterno.

Why is it sacrilegious, to not care for JoePa's last 12-15 coaching years.
If you are at Penn State, you should expect national championships, not mediocrity

Why is it sacrilegious, to not care for JoePa's last 12-15 coaching years.
If you are at Penn State, you should expect national championships, not mediocrity
so you when do you expect the next national championship?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT