ADVERTISEMENT

A&M willing to do $76m buyout, to get JF?

Yep. I am hearing we should hire Schiano (L 22-0 to Iowa) or Rhule (L 13-10 to MD).
Some posters are just throwing out names. What coach is going to take a job where the previous coach got fired for going 10-2 and the only losses are to two top five teams? Yeah, that’ll bring them all in.

A&M can't afford to buyout two contracts to get Franklin.
Franklin's not worth that--pretty much no coach is.

Reactions: johnmpsu
Yep. I am hearing we should hire Schiano (L 22-0 to Iowa) or Rhule (L 13-10 to MD).
Why do you think you hear those names?
It's absolutely absurd that anyone would want either of them but why do you think we hear them? It's obvious and has nothing to do with their ability to win.

Reactions: 81b&w
A&M can have him. I just don’t know who in their right mind would buy him out.On the most important day of the week, game day, he’s a mediocre coach.

Reactions: psuno1 and 84Lion
I don’t want Franklin gone. I just want him to not repeat mistakes. I want him to not be too stubborn to admit (at least internally) when mistakes were made and learn from them. I’d also like for him to have a better feel for the play of the game and HIS team vs strictly going by his so-called analytics on all teams.

Get better and start winning some of these games against top tier opponents.

You’re funny. There are a ton of teams that would take him in a heartbeat including Penn State.
The national perspective of him is changing
"If not now then when" has taken over. Multiple stories about how we were "bullied" yesterday.
Franklin, at one point, was looked at how you talk about him. That doesn't appear to be true today.
Not everyone pretends 10-2 and losing to every good team is an achievement at a school that has the ability to compete at a higher level.

Reactions: psuno1 and aworsnup
I don’t want Franklin gone. I just want him to not repeat mistakes. I want him to not be too stubborn to admit (at least internally) when mistakes were made and learn from them. I’d also like for him to have a better feel for the play of the game and HIS team vs strictly going by his so-called analytics on all teams.

Dude he’s been here for for like 10 years makes the same mistakes every year.

Not happy with some of his decisions and or the offense yesterday but you better make sure you have someone you know is better lined up before you do something rash.

He recruits
His players behave themselves for the most part
His players graduate
And 10-2 is better than 6-6

Not saying don’t, just saying it better be an upgrade.

Franklin couldn't answer the question. That's the problem. You needed 2 TDs and with the time left you kick the point there. He doesn't know that because he just uses the chart as he showed with his first decision.

Watching him is like watching Franklin. It's infuriating because the media largely refuses to push them despite their constant failures when it matters most.

Not a fan of Jones but he was right and glad someone pushed Franklin finally.

Oh yeah going 2-22 against top 10 teams is a great resume. Just keep stacking up wins against garbage ooc and beating Rutgers and Maryland every year. Wow great head coach.
here's the thing...and josh pate points it out....franklin wins the games that he is supposed to win..he's something like 1 and 50/60 something when penn state is favored.....but, he loses the games when we're underdogs. He hasn't figured out yet that when playing teams like osu and michigan you have to score points...can't play like our offense did yesterday

Reactions: RickinDayton
Franklin couldn't answer the question. That's the problem. You needed 2 TDs and with the time left you kick the point there. He doesn't know that because he just uses the chart as he showed with his first decision.

Watching him is like watching Franklin. It's infuriating because the media largely refuses to push them despite their constant failures when it matters most.

Not a fan of Jones but he was right and glad someone pushed Franklin finally.
jones was right ...going for 2 is first half was dumb, going for the second one - with that grammar school play- was stupid

They have the stones to fire him. We'll never be that bold.
This will be coach #4 since the start of the CFP and they have yet to make one and they’re 126-83 with those coaches. How’s that working for them?

Reactions: mcpat
This will be coach #4 since the start of the CFP and they have yet to make one and they’re 126-83 with those coaches. How’s that working for them?
But they're at least trying to be elite and not settling for mediocrity. They deserve credit for that.
Jimbo Fisher, on paper, was a good hire. It didn't work out and now they're willing to eat the contract to fix things.
We keep doing the same thing and hope for better results. Same issue at the end of Paterno's reign.

I don’t see A&M even considering Franklin. But FWIW Franklin’s buyout this year is $6M which is high but not cost prohibitive if they’re already spending tons of cash. And it seems like next year it goes down to $2M where it really wouldn’t be a barrier.

I don’t really see other teams that would want him but I guess there’s a conceivable possible. To be honest a situation like Nebraska last off season I could see as the the type that it could be a good fit (program mired in mediocrity trying to return to glory, where 10 wins consistently would be a clear upgrade)

Football just a little more important than life or death in College Station, Texas.

Reactions: GSPMax
Why do you think you hear those names?
It's absolutely absurd that anyone would want either of them but why do you think we hear them? It's obvious and has nothing to do with their ability to win.
fRoM tHe JoEpA cOaChInG tRee!!!!!

Remember when people were enthralled with Al Golden at Miami because he wore a suit coat and black shoes with white socks

fRoM tHe JoEpA cOaChInG tRee!!!!!

Remember when people were enthralled with Al Golden at Miami because he wore a suit coat and black shoes with white socks
lol yeah Golden was horrendous as a coach
And so many people pointed to his success at Temple--that success existed because they dropped from the Big East to the MAC and he couldn't even beat good MAC teams. His loyalty to D'Onofrio was unexplainable.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
Not happy with some of his decisions and or the offense yesterday but you better make sure you have someone you know is better lined up before you do something rash.

He recruits
His players behave themselves for the most part
His players graduate
And 10-2 is better than 6-6

Not saying don’t, just saying it better be an upgrade.
Recruiting is overrated for him. Look at the tail end of Joe. It was as good. We are Penn State. Top 10-20 classes are easy. How many different makers did he land. I’ll give him pass on MHJ as that was never gonna happen. But the list of players we missed on who could be the difference is huge.

Plus with NIL recruiting will be changed.

Is 10-2 really that much better than 6-7 wins. Neither accomplish the goals. Neither win conference or MNC. You move on from both and find someone who can win.

Saban/Swinney won and had behaved players.

There are many coaches who can do what James does.

Ya we can bomb it but we will still recruit better than 3/4 of conference so will their James (richt) and hired coordinator.

We must stop accepting mediocrity. Since 2000 we have.

🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮

Fisher is pond scum
Not so fast boys, if it comes to pass, they were stupid enough to sign Jimbo in the first place. Perhaps we could weasel out a few operational producing oil wells in the deal. Free gas for game attendance might help absolve our inability to understand a word that fast talking douche is saying.

Reactions: bison13
The college football landscape is littered with wonder-boy coaches whose stars slowly (or quickly) dimmed. How's Lincoln Riley doing these days?

Franklin is not going anywhere. But if he were, there's only one guy in America who would be an obvious trade-up for him, and his name is Urban Meyer. Good luck making that happen.

Here's an analytic for that 2pt decision.
In the same game, PSU was inside the 5yd line. 5 plays produced 1yd, and that was on a QB sneak. The unsuccessful plays were pretty abysmal. So, PSU was pretty much at an O'fer in the game at the goal line, and JF says...but the analytics.
As you said, there must be a feel for the team. The analytics don't hold if your team is struggling in the area being analyzed.

Last edited:
This post lacks any context and is completely misleading. There’s no way to accurately comparatively analyze or assess the current JF against the current MR or GS. JF has a decade of “opportunity” in one operating environment with his hand picked hand chosen players and coaches within his well developed cultural philosophy. The same can definitely not be said about the current MR and the current GS, but don’t let reality get in the way of random outbursts….

This post lacks any context and is completely misleading. There’s no way to accurately comparatively analyze or assess the current JF against the current MR or GS. JF has a decade of “opportunity” in one operating environment with his hand picked hand chosen players and coaches within his well developed cultural philosophy. The same can definitely not be said about the current MR and the current GS, but don’t let reality get in the way of random outbursts….
Yes and no. These guys have had ample opportunities so they aren’t blank checks.

Manny Diaz?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT