ADVERTISEMENT

A&M To Hire UKs Mark Sto...Mike Elko...For Now

I think it makes sense after the Jimbo fiasco to hire someone like Stoops. Dabo nor any other major name wanted to walk into that situation. He wouldn't have been my first choice but it might be a good fit. He's had some success at Kentucky so he should be able to carry that over to A&M.

Big time coaches want nothing to do with that ******** place. Who would? It is where up and coming coaches go to die. Only established has been looking for that final payday want what a&m offers.

Too many people with actual power controlling you, your coaches and players. It's like this board's members all being in charge of the program.

A&M fans might be the most unrealistic in the nation. They aren't getting Smart or Saban. They'd hate Dabo after a week if he jumped.

Stoops has a cushy job in Lexington. 8-9 million a year. They don't expect the SEC title. Probably would have to lose 7 games a year 3 years running before they would fire him.
It’s starting to get a little less cushy.

A & M strikes me as a bastion of Redneckism. I wouldn't live there let alone want to deal with those friggin' idiots.
News flash - it is. In addition, apart from the scenic hellhole that is West Texas near Permian, that part of East Texas is one of the uglier parts of Texas.

• Haha
Reactions: 19333lion
A&M is a thankless job and especially now with Texas entering into the SEC. They will always be the redheaded step child. Get an up and comer like the Tulane coach and let it rip like FSU did with Norvell…

News flash - it is. In addition, apart from the scenic hellhole that is West Texas near Permian, that part of East Texas is one of the uglier parts of Texas.
Attended a game there years ago when they were in their last few years of the Big XII. Great GameDay and stadium atmosphere but that town and area have nothing that is visually pleasing.

Attended a game there years ago when they were in their last few years of the Big XII. Great GameDay and stadium atmosphere but that town and area have nothing that is visually pleasing.

That describes a large portion of Texas.

Stoops has a cushy job in Lexington. 8-9 million a year. They don't expect the SEC title. Probably would have to lose 7 games a year 3 years running before they would fire him.
It may just be one of those crazy Aggie things. A&M has a massive inferiority complex with the U of Texas and to a lesser degree with Oklahoma regarding football. Maybe they just wanted a coach named Stoops because Oklahoma had one.

Like PSU fans who want to beat Michigan and OSU more often than PSU does?
I don’t think UK fans expect to beat Georgia or Bama, but I do think they expect to beat teams like Vanderbilt and South Carolina.

I don’t think UK fans expect to beat Georgia or Bama, but I do think they expect to beat teams like Vanderbilt and South Carolina.
We're Vanderbilt and carolina ever ranked #2 and #3?

If the sec had two teams in the top 3 like a georgia and Bama would you expect to beat them?

We're Vanderbilt and carolina ever ranked #2 and #3?

If the sec had two teams in the top 3 like a georgia and Bama would you expect to beat them?
Huh? I just said UK fans don’t expect to beat teams at that level, they just feel with the money they’ve sunk into the program and what they pay Stoops (more than Franklin by the way) they should consistently beat the bottom dwellers of the SEC.

They expected more than being totally outclassed vs UGA and Bama. The problem is, they overpaid a coach that apparently nobody else is going to overpay (based on A&M situation) and he's got severe recruiting disadvantages.

I don't think UK should expect to beat UGA. It does seem to be a mental thing with Tennessee. They haven't played Bama enough to consider it. They got over the Florida hump, but it's been bad Florida teams. They have one of the worst P5 secondaries and that will kill ya. Probably a WR group comparable to ours as well.

They expected more than being totally outclassed vs UGA and Bama. The problem is, they overpaid a coach that apparently nobody else is going to overpay (based on A&M situation) and he's got severe recruiting disadvantages.

I don't think UK should expect to beat UGA. It does seem to be a mental thing with Tennessee. They haven't played Bama enough to consider it. They got over the Florida hump, but it's been bad Florida teams. They have one of the worst P5 secondaries and that will kill ya. Probably a WR group comparable to ours as well.
All true, but they usually have a really good OLine and strong running game. They’ve benefitted from some pretty easy schedules the past few years (this year’s was pretty good), so their record has been a tad inflated some years. I have no real opinion about Stoops one way or another, but I just know what I hear from UK fans.

Reactions: lazydave841
Are there any PSU fans satisfied with the level of success vs OSU and Michigan in the James Franklin era?
in a similar vein, lots of OSU fans calling for Day's head...seems he can't get over the michigan hump. 11-1 is simply not good enough.

Many years ago I repped AT&T for the naming rights for "The Texas Showdown" rivalry game vs UT. Was scheduled to attend in College Station the Friday after Thanksgiving for an early game.

Had a young Assistant who was managing everything....huge tailgate...tented event w a bunch of execs and big clients. All I had to do was fly in and arrive. Glad I stayed in NYC...miserable weather, in a miserable town and A&M got whooped.

The A&M folks I know are all from the Northeast. There is a culture of wealth from the days when Petroleum Engineering was the future. Now that's in the past.

Elko is a New Jersey guy who at least knows what he is getting into. I went to the Aggie game at Tennessee this year. They travel well. Great fanbase. No shortage of resources. Hopefully he doesn't keep Elijah Robinson and maybe we pick him up if Manny bolts.

Good Luck to him.

Elijah was the DL coach while Elko was the DC. Probably remains as co-DC, if not given full duties UNLESS he goes on to a HC job. Jersey guy, big recruiter as well.
Camden. Tulane then transferred to us.

Rising star. Elko likely pays him well to be the glue and keep the talent they brought in 2 years ago w #1 rated class.

Great position to be in for Elijah.

Well earned.

Reactions: lazydave841
Are there any PSU fans satisfied with the level of success vs OSU and Michigan in the James Franklin era?
None that I know but unlike the experts on here I ain’t calling for him to be fired. Day has 3 loses at OSU and they are all to Michigan so no one else is beating him either. Franklin is 3-17 against Top Ten opponents and was favored in exactly 1 of those games. I keep waiting for the new coach recommendation that is going to do better than Franklin. Some of the names I have heard in the past aren’t lighting it up this year. Riley is 7-5 at USC with the reigning Heisman Trophy winner playing QB. Rhule is 5-7. Schiano is 7-5. Fickell is what 6-6? Penn State is one of 10 teams with 5 or more 10 win seasons in the last 10 years. Be careful what you ask for—you might not be happy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT